What if they made the Moro arc a movie instead?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zamasu Black
Banned Alternate Account

What if they made the Moro arc a movie instead?

Post by Zamasu Black » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:12 am

Probably everyone expects it'll receive an anime adaptation but what if the arc was turned into a movie instead?

Right now it's not long enough to the point it couldn't easily be turned into a movie and even seems as though it has a movies pacing.

The arc has also been pretty poor so far because of a lousy story and even lousier action. However on paper the Broly movies story was....well a complete joke but they were able to make it work with some outstanding action.

They could do that here. The weak story could be overcome by superior action.

The only thing with something like that is it may not be too successful because the only real selling point would be Ultra Instincts return. Nothing else about the arc has got people excited except for Vegeta which could end up disappointing.

I think they'd be better to just continue making the movies then the anime.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What if they made the Moro arc a movie instead?

Post by Peach » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:37 am

It doesn't seem like it would translate well. In the same way I don't think the two Tournaments or Zamasu would make a good movie.

It's written to be a comic book. It does not follow the rule of show, don't tell, instead relying on exposition. Every issue seems to end with a hook to build up to the next issue. This kind of story telling does not adapt well to film.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:17 am

I don't think they will for 2 reasons:

1- It's too long for a 90-100 minute movie.

2- It'll make less $$$ than an original, new story.

Zamasu Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zamasu Black » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:54 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:17 am I don't think they will for 2 reasons:

1- It's too long for a 90-100 minute movie.

2- It'll make less $$$ than an original, new story.
They'd have too cut down and streamline a few things. That whole visit to that planet before Namek for example.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:53 pm

There are some folks that think they will literary adapt the manga and Toyotaro is going to become the lead writer of the anime as well in all its detail.
I honestly still have my doubts about that. The anime / anime movies still want to maintain their own continuity and create their own hypes, and Toriyama (not Toyotaro) is probably going to deliver its plot outlines sooner or later.

Everything depends on what we get first: movie or anime.
If we get a movie first, they'll skip Moro or it will become a Moro movie.
If the anime starts first (which i doubt will happen given the current circumstances), they can adapt the Moro arc or skip it.
Toriyama can summarize the events in the anime / anime movie and skip to a new arc right away if he prefers to do so.

All depends on the script he delivers. But: if it's a movie and it's not a Toriyama adapted version of the Moro arc, i don't believe we will ever get an animated adaptation of that arc. The franchise knows there are people who only follow the anime continuity (not the manga) and it would be confusing for them if they'd bring Moro in the anime after the movie, if the movie depicts events that actually happen within the main continuity after this story.

To answer your question directly: if Toriyama completely rewrites the script of the manga, i believe he can make a Moro-movie whilst keeping some of the key features of the existing manga arc, yes, theoretically he's surely talented enough of a writer he could. Would he really do that ... ? Is it really original? I don't know, if i were Toriyama and i hadn't delivered something substantial within two or three years, i'd maybe think of doing something completely new.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:46 pm

The Moro arc would work much better as a 80-100 minute (the length of 4-5 episodes) than a one or two cour story arc so I wouldn't mind it...but I also want to get another storyline with Broli and I'm not sure if the production committee wants to save him for the movies or not.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:54 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:53 pm There are some folks that think they will literary adapt the manga and Toyotaro is going to become the lead writer of the anime as well in all its detail.
I honestly still have my doubts about that. The anime / anime movies still want to maintain their own continuity and create their own hypes, and Toriyama (not Toyotaro) is probably going to deliver its plot outlines sooner or later.

If the anime starts first (which i doubt will happen given the current circumstances), they can adapt the Moro arc or skip it.
Toriyama can summarize the events in the anime / anime movie and skip to a new arc right away if he prefers to do so.

All depends on the script he delivers. But: if it's a movie and it's not a Toriyama adapted version of the Moro arc, i don't believe we will ever get an animated adaptation of that arc. The franchise knows there are people who only follow the anime continuity (not the manga) and it would be confusing for them if they'd bring Moro in the anime after the movie, if the movie depicts events that actually happen within the main continuity after this story.

To answer your question directly: if Toriyama completely rewrites the script of the manga, i believe he can make a Moro-movie whilst keeping some of the key features of the existing manga arc, yes, theoretically he's surely talented enough of a writer he could. Would he really do that ... ? Is it really original? I don't know, if i were Toriyama and i hadn't delivered something substantial within two or three years, i'd maybe think of doing something completely new.
I doubt Toriyama would rewrite the arc into a movie himself. At that point he might as well write a new movie.

At best the arc will stay a manga exclusive. Although it would be a big missed opportunity if they never animated it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:33 am

emperior wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:54 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:53 pm There are some folks that think they will literary adapt the manga and Toyotaro is going to become the lead writer of the anime as well in all its detail.

I doubt Toriyama would rewrite the arc into a movie himself. At that point he might as well write a new movie.

At best the arc will stay a manga exclusive. Although it would be a big missed opportunity if they never animated it.
There's a lot of manga stuff I wish they would animated. Jaco the Galactic Patrol Man would make an amazing movie. Would love a Neko Majin Z or Cross Epoch special too.

Zamasu Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Zamasu Black » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:16 pm

The Jaco Galactic Patrolman arc could have made for an interesting filler saga or small mini series or something. There wouldn't be the interest to make it into a proper movie.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:32 pm

It seems like it's too long to be made into a movie, they would need to edit a lot out. I would rather they bring back the DBS anime, but instead of it being weekly they should only make 13 to 23 very high quality episodes a year, and adapt the Moro arc into that.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:06 am

I'm actually leaning towards this being the case. The arc seems long, but if you think about it, there is not that much material. They could just boil it down to the essentials and it would be fine.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:33 pm

As much as everyone is right about it being too much for one film to tackle, I'm surprised no one has suggest multiple films. Like the Berserk flicks. I think I'd be down to see arcs tackled in multiple movies, best of both worlds, great animation while being able to tell larger stories.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:05 pm

Rory wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:33 pm As much as everyone is right about it being too much for one film to tackle, I'm surprised no one has suggest multiple films. Like the Berserk flicks. I think I'd be down to see arcs tackled in multiple movies, best of both worlds, great animation while being able to tell larger stories.
I doubt they go that route because...DBZ aint Berserk. Berserk is a decades long epic, DB is very much not. I don't think there's any way they'd be able to justify having people wait years for a conclusion of a movie.

Basically, if they do adapt Moro for a film, I think they completely start from scratch to make it work as a single film.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:42 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:05 pmI doubt they go that route because...DBZ aint Berserk. Berserk is a decades long epic, DB is very much not. I don't think there's any way they'd be able to justify having people wait years for a conclusion of a movie.

Basically, if they do adapt Moro for a film, I think they completely start from scratch to make it work as a single film.
I mean, the movies all cover one arc (Golden Age), not the entirety of the manga. If you want to know what happens in that arc prior to the movies wrapping up, you could just read the manga... I don't see how it's any different here. The movies could cover the Moro arc, and if you wanted to know what happens while you wait, you'd read the manga.

It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips
Regular

Post by It_Is_Ayna_You_Flips » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Rory wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:33 pm As much as everyone is right about it being too much for one film to tackle, I'm surprised no one has suggest multiple films. Like the Berserk flicks. I think I'd be down to see arcs tackled in multiple movies, best of both worlds, great animation while being able to tell larger stories.
Maybe if they were still doing two movies a year like back in the early 90s but one movie every year and a half is a long wait for something like Dragon Ball.
My opinions suck. You should probably mute me to spare yourself having to see them.

"If someone gets Star Wars wrong? Death threats. If a kid learns that a shitty song they liked when they were 12 was a cover of a song made in 1984? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that's too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone makes a Sonic game that isn't too dark and edgy? Death threats. If someone criticizes Naruto? Lots of death threats. Sexualizes pokemon? UNIVERSAL PRAISE." - Plague of Gripes

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:09 pm

I would prefer something new and original for a movie. I still think there will be some DB movie or anime continuation around the time of the Olympics since Goku is an ambassador. They're going to capitalize on the popularity. So far, the Moro arc would be a good anime cour or two depending on how long it lasts. We already know they've at least started thinking about the next DBS movie, and they probably have a bit more work done for it than when they first said last year that they're thinking about the next movie.

As long as it's good and the anime is never as bad as the RoF arc is in Super, IDC what we get.