Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:14 am

* It is worth mentioning that some present designs were created by Akira Toriyama. I didn't want to cut the sheet, so they stayed there.

1. I don't appreciate Yamamuro's choice when following Akira Toriyama's colors for Trunks with blue hair as her child version had purple hair. I would have been in favor if Yamamuro had followed blue hair since Battle of Gods.

2. This "monstrous" version of Zamasu is a good one, although it does not explain the reason for its existence. Goku Black died after Goku's Kame-Hame-Ha? So Zamasu Gattai had only Zamasu's strength and still managed to fight Vegetto?

3. The designs used for the '' fillers '' episodes are good. I have only two observations: Yamamuro's drawings for the baseball game were very poorly made (the sheet) and Barry's transformation reminds me of Super Saiyan 4.

4. Toppo and Kahseral in a suit are weak and resemble Earth. A single observation: Kahseral should have worn that first uniform, it looks better on him.

5. The villains of episode 87 could very well replace some ToP fighters, for example: Jium from Universe 10, he seems to have come from Earth.

6. Yurin reminds me of the Classic Dragon Ball.

7. Kale intrigued me. Does it have three transformations? They would be: Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan Berserk, Super Saiyan Berserk Controlled. On this sheet we only have his transformation into Super Saiyan and Berserk.

8. The UI with black hair was a good idea from Toei, for abandoning hair colors and becoming simpler, similar to Kaioken. Although I still have a problem with that aura when I watch the anime.

Mad Swami
Regular
Posts: 527
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 am

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Mad Swami » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:40 am

ronaldnorth_03 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:14 am
* It is worth mentioning that some present designs were created by Akira Toriyama. I didn't want to cut the sheet, so they stayed there.

1. I don't appreciate Yamamuro's choice when following Akira Toriyama's colors for Trunks with blue hair as her child version had purple hair. I would have been in favor if Yamamuro had followed blue hair since Battle of Gods.
Agree
2. This "monstrous" version of Zamasu is a good one, although it does not explain the reason for its existence. Goku Black died after Goku's Kame-Hame-Ha? So Zamasu Gattai had only Zamasu's strength and still managed to fight Vegetto?

Goku Black died? I thought it was something else. Either way I actually really enjoy that design

3. The designs used for the '' fillers '' episodes are good. I have only two observations: Yamamuro's drawings for the baseball game were very poorly made (the sheet) and Barry's transformation reminds me of Super Saiyan 4.

Filler designs were bland
4. Toppo and Kahseral in a suit are weak and resemble Earth. A single observation: Kahseral should have worn that first uniform, it looks better on him.
I like Kahseral's own outfit. I have mixed feelings on Toppo's design. I hate Jiren's design just too boring. The other Pride troopers are fine. While similar to Beerus I actually like Dyspo's design a lot although that could just be my bias to him as he was one of my favorites from top. Definitely out of the Pride Troopers he's my favorite.

5. The villains of episode 87 could very well replace some ToP fighters, for example: Jium from Universe 10, he seems to have come from Earth.
Poachers had a fun design.

6. Yurin reminds me of the Classic Dragon Ball.
Yeah absolutely, I liked her as a mini threat, just wish Tien handled her

7. Kale intrigued me. Does it have three transformations? They would be: Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan Berserk, Super Saiyan Berserk Controlled. On this sheet we only have his transformation into Super Saiyan and Berserk.
Hated Kale design wise and personality wise, she is just DBZ Broly who was garbage

8. The UI with black hair was a good idea from Toei, for abandoning hair colors and becoming simpler, similar to Kaioken. Although I still have a problem with that aura when I watch the anime.
I like Omen more then mastered

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:43 am

Do you have more of these character design images? I really enjoyed them.
“The fool looks to God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

User avatar
Matches Malone
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 985
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:13 am

The destroyers: I like Beerus, Belmod, U12's destroyer and the fox with two tails. I'm not a fan of the rest, although Champa's personality makes up for his lackluster design.
The Angles have a simple yet powerful presence designs.
Golden Freeza: Not terrible but not good either. I would've preferred a design change instead of a recolor.
SsjG: Although it comes off as a simple recolor, it has enough differences to stand on its own.
SsjB: Not the biggest fan. I think SsjG should've been the main form Goku and Vegeta use.
SsjBE: I like the crystal Blue hair and sparkly aura.
UI: I prefer Omen over the completed version, but that's also good.
Ssj Rose: A terrible idea that somehow turned into an epic form.
Merged Zamasu: I like the original design but hate the Two-Face wannabe version of it.
Jiren: At first he was very generic but as time went on I grew to appreciate him.
Toppo: I'm in the middle on his base form but I love his destroyer form.
Dyspo: Too similar to Beerus for my liking.
U6's Saiyans: Don't like their design at all.
Broly: I prefer it over the original, although the original is also good.
Moro: One of the better designs to not only come out of this revival, but the franchise as a whole.

User avatar
SupremeKai25
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1800
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:40 am
Location: The cabin in the woods.

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:53 am

ronaldnorth_03 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:14 am
2. This "monstrous" version of Zamasu is a good one, although it does not explain the reason for its existence. Goku Black died after Goku's Kame-Hame-Ha? So Zamasu Gattai had only Zamasu's strength and still managed to fight Vegetto?
Not just Goku's Kamhemaheha, don't forget that Zamasu was damaged by his own Holy Wrath exploding in his face. Basically the reason is that those combined attacks damaged half of Zamasu's face so much that his disrupted regeneration couldn't heal it (and his regeneration was disrupted because part of his fused body was no longer invincible). Zamasu still had Black's strength though, so much so that he basically had the Rosé aura and blade when he turned Corrupted. The Black part of the fusion disappeared only after Fused Zamasu's body was destroyed. At that point, only his soul was left. But his soul was that of the immortal Future Zamasu, and that's why Infinite Zamasu looks like normal Zamasu and not the Fused one.

Why does he look like a purple monster? 'Cause that's what Zamasu looks like when he is gravely injured. Earlier in the arc, Zamasu's face took on that purple slime-ish color after Goku blew it up. But unlike Fused Zamasu, Future Zamasu had perfect regeneration so he regenerated it instantly.

Anyway I am somewhat mixed on this design. On one hand I love how Zamasu started falling apart physically as his fragile mental state collapsed, that was great character development. At the same time, I am sad that Halo Fused Zamasu got only 1 episode of screentime. That is my favourite design in Super to be honest.
Rejoice, Goku! Only through me have you reached the pinnacle of beauty that you have sought for so very long!

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:00 pm

Mirai Trunks Arc

Trunks is acceptable to me ... I was honestly never a fan of armor or long hair
blue hair .. I guess it was done by reference to bulma which is a good detail but they had to change the hair of child trunks in any case

SSJR

although the idea seems silly ... it works only by the personality of zamasu, skills and the concept of natural godly ki

Merged Zamasu
I really like its design ... it makes it look much more interesting
the 2 faces ... I like it too, it is symbolic since they represent the sins of zamasu

12 Hakaishins

I like beerus, linquir, helles, mosco, sidra, velmonth, iwen and champa at the beginning I didn't like it but later I liked it,
although I would really prefer more distinctive designs and less animals

female characters
cocoa and yurin are fine, they look nice to me but I feel that they arrived a little late in the series

U6 Saiyans
I love caulifla and kale
the first ssj women look great I don't complain that they are thin for female characters they are really acceptable and at least in the anime their ssj shapes make them more muscular
Kelfa is my favorite

cabba, I liked it at the beginning ... but in retrospect, he I was disliking more its design for a male saiyan is very generic

UI Omen
Goku UI omen is great I like it more than UIM

User avatar
ronaldnorth_03
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by ronaldnorth_03 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:15 am

I forgot to mention Yamamuro's infamous decision to put "Ultimate" as a transformation. They should have followed the manga and just changed Gohan's expressions to something more serious, just like originally.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6120
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Ajay » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 am

Just a small pedantic correction for your first point about hair colour: Yamamuro typically doesn't get to decide the colours, that's a decision that usually falls on the colour designer and director.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
Koitsukai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1089
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:17 pm

I never liked this new Trunks with blue hair, I didn't like that they kept his old Z hairstyle either, or that he looked as menacing as my turtle.

I adore combed-hair Goku in a suit and gangster Vegeta of course.

I really hate that Vegito got the old Z outfit when they weren't even wearing the same outfits as in Z.

User avatar
Thunderbird
Banned
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:14 am

Hit and miss, not as good as Dragon Ball Z but drastically better than Dragon Ball GT which was awful in almost every way. Better than the Dragon Ball Z filler designs too.

User avatar
Xeogran
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1940
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:55 am

Thunderbird wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:14 am
Hit and miss, not as good as Dragon Ball Z but drastically better than Dragon Ball GT which was awful in almost every way. Better than the Dragon Ball Z filler designs too.
Barry Kahn IMO looks worse than anything of GT. Most of the Pride Troopers are weakly designed too, despite being the final antagonist group.

As for the main characters, GT at least dared to age up them, and change their outfits instead of nostalgia pandering.

Block88
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 3:28 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Block88 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:52 am

A hit n miss outside a few most of the designs are largely forgettable

User avatar
Thunderbird
Banned
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:32 am

Xeogran wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:55 am
Barry Kahn IMO looks worse than anything of GT. Most of the Pride Troopers are weakly designed too, despite being the final antagonist group.
The main three were the only ones that mattered and they looked fine.

The thing with GT is that they almost all looked awful, not many of them even looked as good as "fine".

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:46 am

Xeogran wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:55 am
Thunderbird wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:14 am
Hit and miss, not as good as Dragon Ball Z but drastically better than Dragon Ball GT which was awful in almost every way. Better than the Dragon Ball Z filler designs too.
Barry Kahn IMO looks worse than anything of GT. Most of the Pride Troopers are weakly designed too, despite being the final antagonist group.

As for the main characters, GT at least dared to age up them, and change their outfits instead of nostalgia pandering.
nah ...
this no use if you do nothing with them .. that is just to give a false idea that a character has changed ... but the truth is that many of the designs looked worse than the epilogue

User avatar
Trouser
Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 am
Location: Poland

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Trouser » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:46 am
Xeogran wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:55 am
Thunderbird wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:14 am
Hit and miss, not as good as Dragon Ball Z but drastically better than Dragon Ball GT which was awful in almost every way. Better than the Dragon Ball Z filler designs too.
Barry Kahn IMO looks worse than anything of GT. Most of the Pride Troopers are weakly designed too, despite being the final antagonist group.

As for the main characters, GT at least dared to age up them, and change their outfits instead of nostalgia pandering.
nah ...
this no use if you do nothing with them .. that is just to give a false idea that a character has changed ... but the truth is that many of the designs looked worse than the epilogue
Yeah, because ToP had GREAT designs... sigh. Almost every design outside u7, u6 and u11 is bad.
Hello!
I'm here to talk about Dragon Ball with other fans.
Also, I would like to get my english to get better, so please, don't kill me if I'll make some mistakes.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:21 am

Trouser wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:24 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:46 am
Xeogran wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:55 am


Barry Kahn IMO looks worse than anything of GT. Most of the Pride Troopers are weakly designed too, despite being the final antagonist group.

As for the main characters, GT at least dared to age up them, and change their outfits instead of nostalgia pandering.
nah ...
this no use if you do nothing with them .. that is just to give a false idea that a character has changed ... but the truth is that many of the designs looked worse than the epilogue
Yeah, because ToP had GREAT designs... sigh. Almost every design outside u7, u6 and u11 is bad.
false again and in any case many designs depends on "opinions" and perspective
universe 9 had great animal designs that many liked
universe 3 had interesting and varied designs
robots, anilaza, katopesla, maji kayo and papparoni
universe 2 although wasted they had extravagant designs

the only "bad" designs were universes 4 and 10 with their exceptions as ganos, obumi, kawey and darcori

Kiyoharu
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:10 am

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Kiyoharu » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:47 am

Trouser wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:24 pm
Yeah, because ToP had GREAT designs... sigh. Almost every design outside u7, u6 and u11 is bad.
Universes 6 and 11 also have horrible designs.

Image
Image

Almost the entire Universe 11 looks like shit.

Not to mention the lack of imagination in other designs.

Saonel: Copy of Piccolo.
Pirina: Copy of Slug.
Cabba: Copy of Tarble.
Frost: Copy of Freeza.
Caulifla: Cabba's face on a woman's body.
Dyspo: Beerus but more shit.

User avatar
ChronoTwigger
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 955
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:10 pm

Kiyoharu wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:47 am

Universes 6 and 11 also have horrible designs.
Image

Almost the entire Universe 11 looks like shit.
As a whole party, they are very well designed. Each one got a different skeleton and anatomy without adding fluff like scarfs or things. It's an example of good character design (keeping Toriyama limited style intact, too... people argue of similarities, but they seems to forget about DragonQuest design: 3 characters repeated for 30 years...).
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

User avatar
Tai Lung
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:34 am

Kiyoharu wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:47 am
Trouser wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:24 pm
Yeah, because ToP had GREAT designs... sigh. Almost every design outside u7, u6 and u11 is bad.
Universes 6 and 11 also have horrible designs.

Image
Image

Almost the entire Universe 11 looks like shit.

Not to mention the lack of imagination in other designs.

Saonel: Copy of Piccolo.
Pirina: Copy of Slug.
Cabba: Copy of Tarble.
Frost: Copy of Freeza.
Caulifla: Cabba's face on a woman's body.
Dyspo: Beerus but more shit.
literally that's a troll comment ....

characters of the same race may look alike ...
nail and piccolo ... frieza and king cold
shin and ro kaioshin (young)

caulifla is not at all like cabba ... she is like "gine" in design but not much
Image

and many of those designs are better than kaiosama, frieza soldiers or some androids
Last edited by Tai Lung on Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiyoharu
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:10 am

Re: Your opinion on the original designs of Dragon Ball Super

Post by Kiyoharu » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:39 am

Tai Lung wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:34 am
Kiyoharu wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:47 am
Trouser wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:24 pm
Yeah, because ToP had GREAT designs... sigh. Almost every design outside u7, u6 and u11 is bad.
Universes 6 and 11 also have horrible designs.

Image
Image

Almost the entire Universe 11 looks like shit.

Not to mention the lack of imagination in other designs.

Saonel: Copy of Piccolo.
Pirina: Copy of Slug.
Cabba: Copy of Tarble.
Frost: Copy of Freeza.
Caulifla: Cabba's face on a woman's body.
Dyspo: Beerus but more shit.
literally that's a troll comment ....

characters of the same race may look alike ...
nail and piccolo ... frieza and king cold
shin and ro kaioshin (young)

caulifla is not at all like cabba ... she is like "gine" in design but not much

and many of those designs are better than kaiosama, frieza soldiers or some androids
Troll comment? Just why don't I think like you?

Learn to respect the opinion of others.

Post Reply