Next movie teaser... Raditz eating an apple while sitting on Daishinkan's corpse...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Next movie teaser... Raditz eating an apple while sitting on Daishinkan's corpse...

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:56 pm

Plot twist: Daishinkan died from taking a bite of the poisoned apple. Raditz found his dead body with an apple next to it and decided to take a bite himself. Not the smartest guy.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Next movie teaser... Raditz eating an apple while sitting on Daishinkan's corpse...

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:24 am

Thunderbird wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:37 pmThe main reason by far that each movie has made more money than the last is because each other has had a significantly larger release.
The reason Broly had a larger release is because there was higher demand for it. It got extra days in theaters and more screenings to go with the extra ticket sales. Had BOG sold more tickets, it also would've gotten more screenings.

BOG should've done just as good as it had 4 things going for it that Broly didn't:

1- It was an event, DB finally returning after 18 years.

2- It was original, covering completely new ground with the introduction of Beerus and Whis.

3- It was marketed as a new chapter within the manga's story, it wasn't just some side thing.

4- Most importantly, it was written by Toriyama himself, something fans thought would never happen.

Despite not having any of the above going for it, despite being nothing more than a remake of a movie everyone saw, Broly still managed to outperform it based on name recognition and fan nostalgia.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:33 am

An apple a day keeps the Daishinkan away.

*runs away*

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:24 amThe reason Broly had a larger release is because there was higher demand for it. It got extra days in theaters and more screenings to go with the extra ticket sales. Had BOG sold more tickets, it also would've gotten more screenings.

BOG should've done just as good as it had 4 things going for it that Broly didn't:

1- It was an event, DB finally returning after 18 years.

2- It was original, covering completely new ground with the introduction of Beerus and Whis.

3- It was marketed as a new chapter within the manga's story, it wasn't just some side thing.

4- Most importantly, it was written by Toriyama himself, something fans thought would never happen.

Despite not having any of the above going for it, despite being nothing more than a remake of a movie everyone saw, Broly still managed to outperform it based on name recognition and fan nostalgia.
No that isn't how that works. Battle of Gods because it was the first movie in 18 years is why it started off at the slow end. It had a small release in US, only across 4 to 5 days, was barely released in Europe and wasn't even marketed that well.

But for what it was it did well so naturally the next movie had a much larger release. Had a decent release in US, across 10 or so days and released in several countries in Europe. That one was marketed better, more people were aware of it having been brought back because of the previous movie. So it did well.

So then the next one Broly had yet again a much larger release. More theatres in US, more showings and for more days. Was released in most countries. Was advertised a lot more even at Comic Con and obviously all fans were aware of it because they were brought back with Super.

Broly's popularity would play a factor but that movie was always going to make a lot more mainly because it had a wider release and far more fans knew about it from the start.

You can even see that with My Hero Academia. The first one made $5 million in America while the second has made $13 million. There was nothing about the second one in particular that was more exciting to see, it just had a much wider release is all.

Because Broly did so well, it means the next movie will have a wider release so it to will make even more money once again.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:13 pm

Maybe. There's no guarentee. They go wider if each is more popular than the last but wider release doesn't guarantee a better return. Film distribution, especially to cinemas, can be expensive. It makes a lot of sense to use already known characters for the films. Using nostalgia and a new transformation might give a nice bump, but I'm still convinced that good emotionally resonant storytelling will keep fans and make new ones whereas nostalgia will give a nice spike.

To give a parallel example, Friends did a lot of stunt casting, and they got good numbers, but the best episodes of the show were almost always the ones with either mostly just the main characters. Near the tail end of its run, the ratings jumped for Rachel's pregnancy. It was a ratings and narrative resurgence.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:14 pm

Thunderbird wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:43 pmNo that isn't how that works. Battle of Gods was the first movie in 18 years is why it started off at the slow end.

It had a small release in US, only across 4 to 5 days, was barely released in Europe and wasn't even marketed that well.
The Force awakens was the first star wars movie in over 10 years and was the highest grossing of the new movies. I'm not saying BOG should've done 2 billion, but it should've been around 70 or so, not barely making 50.

That's because the demand wasn't there. Broly also had a smaller release at first, but it got extended based on the ticket sales. Had BOG sold more tickets, it would've naturally gotten more screens and days.

I remember back when BOG was announced, there was a lot of negative press surrounding Beerus and Whis not looking like "ma childhood" and so on. When the movie finally opened, there was a lot of complaining about there not being enough action. Combine all the complaining with the low box office numbers, and you've got something like Broly and RF where the focus is on classic elements and less on original ones, on fights and less on character development.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pm

We don't know what the demand was. Believe it or not there's some truth to what Thunderbird said. They opened to a smaller number of theaters because they didn't know how much demand there was for a theatrical release of a DB movie. I went to BoG opening night and it was jam packed. Your point is mere conjecture and based on anecdotal evidence. As is mine, but at least it's from an audience, not fans on the internet who review things they either love or hate, usually hate. The box office numbers for BoG were not low. Low in comparison to what? It's an animated movie. It's budget could not have been that high.

It's a combination of elements. All that, plus nostalgia, and I don't think I'm going out on a limb in thinking that the elements that made Broly popular decades ago would make him popular now.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:55 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pm It's an animated movie. It's budget could not have been that high.

just saying the movie Tangled from Disney had a budget of 292 million dollars. Animated movies can cost a lot (Not saying BoG's budget was high just, you know)

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:14 pm That's because the demand wasn't there. Broly also had a smaller release at first, but it got extended based on the ticket sales. Had BOG sold more tickets, it would've naturally gotten more screens and days.
There wasn't demand because the series had been dead for years. Except for Kai which is just a recycled Z most fans moved on and didn't even know about it.

It was never just going to come out and open big. Anime movies don't make money and generally never get released outside of Japan or some of Asia.

Broly got an extended run but so did the others. Battle of Gods was advertised as being in release for 4 days and was in 700 theatres for 2 of those days and 250 theatres for the other two. Broly was in well over 1,000 theatres across 11 days and still hundreds for many other days.

The most apples to apples comparison would be with Japan. Broly only made 7% more money than Resurrection F. The big difference with the worldwide total was as I said because it had a much wider release.

Cooler ain't nearly as popular as Broly but if the next movie brings him back it'll almost certainly make even more money still.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Mad Swami wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:55 pm
ABED wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pm It's an animated movie. It's budget could not have been that high.

just saying the movie Tangled from Disney had a budget of 292 million dollars. Animated movies can cost a lot (Not saying BoG's budget was high just, you know)
That's high end computer generated, not 2D animation. Completely different standard, also a big release from a major studio.

Broly's production budget was less than 10 M, so my guess is the previous films cost even less.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:36 pm

ABED wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm
Mad Swami wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:55 pm

That's high end computer generated, not 2D animation. Completely different standard, also a big release from a major studio.

Broly's production budget was less than 10 M, so my guess is the previous films cost even less.
I know my point was animated can still produce high budgets but that is a fair detail

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:57 pm

This title is clickbait. -_-

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:41 pm

Peach wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:57 pm This title is clickbait. -_-
Perhaps add a 'what if' to the title.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:07 am

ABED wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pmThe box office numbers for BoG were not low. Low in comparison to what? It's an animated movie. It's budget could not have been that high.
Low compared to Broly. 50 isn't bad by any means, as it didn't have a big budget like you said, but it still made 75 million less than Broly.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:37 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:07 am
ABED wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:49 pmThe box office numbers for BoG were not low. Low in comparison to what? It's an animated movie. It's budget could not have been that high.
Low compared to Broly. 50 isn't bad by any means, as it didn't have a big budget like you said, but it still made 75 million less than Broly.
Broly also had the advantage of cashing in on the momentum of two films and a new TV show.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:43 am

Peach wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:37 amBroly also had the advantage of cashing in on the momentum of two films and a new TV show.
I know that, and I'm not saying Broly shouldn't have made more, just that BOG should've done better as it also had advantages, as I mentioned above.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:25 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:43 am
Peach wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:37 amBroly also had the advantage of cashing in on the momentum of two films and a new TV show.
I know that, and I'm not saying Broly shouldn't have made more, just that BOG should've done better as it also had advantages, as I mentioned above.
Battle of Gods and Resurrection F had a much more limited theatrical release than Broly. It couldn't have performed much better than it did.

Thunderbird
Banned

Post by Thunderbird » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm

It's just a domino effect is all. The success of each film has meant that when the next released it came out in more countries, in more theatres, for more days with more showings per day.

That's where all the extra money has come from.

In Japan, despite all the extra awareness, the three year long Super, the bigger budget, more marketing, Broly etc. The Broly movie only made one third more than Battle of Gods.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:12 am

The final battle is Raditz vs. Yamcha