The Manga SSBE Form doesn’t have fully formed eyes!

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

The Manga SSBE Form doesn’t have fully formed eyes!

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:27 am

What the hell was Toyotaro thinking when designing that form? Even the Anime got it right. In the Anime, SSBE has both pupils and irises, i.e. fully formed eyes! They’re blue. Really beautiful. In the Manga, SSBE Vegeta just has the same eyes as regular SSJ Blue. Not cool, beautiful or prefered at all. Very bad taste and a very bad choice of Toyotaro.

What do you think? Do you think he will ever fix it? I think he should!
Last edited by GodVegetto91 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: The Manga SSBE Form doesn’t have fully formed eyes!

Post by theherodjl » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:34 am

Why does Vegeta need the SSJ3-style eyes? Its actually kinda cool that Vegeta simply has a stronger form of SSJB that doesn't rely on an aesthetic to let you know he's largely stronger. Its like Vegeta's sticking it to Goku by saying "Sit down, Kakaratto. This is how a real Saiyan demonstrates the power of a God!" in response to how Goku failed to properly improve SSJB.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:13 pm

Because this is an artistic choice of the anime apparently, as well as the bigger muscles.

In the manga, Toyo preferred to make this form look more like a power up, just changing the aura. Particularly, I see no problem with that

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:39 pm

Because it isn't a "new form", it's just an extension of Blue in the manga. A full mastery over the form that Goku couldn't achieve, according to VJump. Hence why it looks like SSB, but only the aura is changed.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:27 am

I really don’t understand the hate for “visual changes”. They perfectly signify a change in power and abilities. We may not need much. But the eyes are a huge part of it! This is what set Super Saiyan God apart from that damned Super Saiyan Blue. SSJ God was a true God Form. The eyes showed it. And in the Anime, SSBE also had the same fully formed eyes. Just like SSG, UIO and UI. Not to mention the aura had similair sparks. In SSBE’s case, it added snowflakes. Really cool! Again, I don’t understand the hate for visual changes. It seems the bad type of fans over the internet have ruined it for you guys. But it shouldn’t be. Physical changes are neccesary to accurately portray and signify a new level of power. After that, they don’t need to introduce any new forms if you so must desire.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:26 am

There's no "hate" for designs here. Its just personal preference and in this case, the manga's design for SSJBE is fine to members of the community.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:15 am

theherodjl wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:26 am There's no "hate" for designs here. Its just personal preference and in this case, the manga's design for SSJBE is fine to members of the community.
It’s not fine to me.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:44 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:27 am I really don’t understand the hate for “visual changes”. They perfectly signify a change in power and abilities. We may not need much. But the eyes are a huge part of it! This is what set Super Saiyan God apart from that damned Super Saiyan Blue. SSJ God was a true God Form. The eyes showed it. And in the Anime, SSBE also had the same fully formed eyes. Just like SSG, UIO and UI. Not to mention the aura had similair sparks. In SSBE’s case, it added snowflakes. Really cool! Again, I don’t understand the hate for visual changes. It seems the bad type of fans over the internet have ruined it for you guys. But it shouldn’t be. Physical changes are neccesary to accurately portray and signify a new level of power. After that, they don’t need to introduce any new forms if you so must desire.
I love the look of SSBE, although apparently the majority of the fanbase doesn't like it. For me, it is visually a more beautiful form than the SSB, especially the aura.

But I see no problem with the look of this transformation in the manga. It is possible to distinguish when Vegeta is using it (despite having few differences from the regular SSB) and the aura is cool
Last edited by TheSaiyanGod on Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 am

Eh... I'm split. On the one hand, the anime version is severely overdesigned. It looks tacky, honestly, and it already hasn't aged well. There's a whole thread saying it's the worst thing ever, I wouldn't go that far as I do enjoy how it contrasts against Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken Goku in their tag team fight against Jiren. The colourisation is a nice shift but the particle effects and increased musculature are gratuitous, and don't fit with the more minimalist design philosophies of the other character designs. I don't mind designs that stick out from the crowd but yeah, SSBE in the anime isn't my cup of tea.

On the other hand, I can agree that the manga hasn't done enough to distinguish the 'Evolved' or 'Perfected' Super Saiyan Blue forms from their predecessors. I think Toyotaro has done as good a job as humanly possible with distinguishing the god forms from regular Super Saiyan designs considering the limitations of drawing them without colour. I think maybe a difference in the eyes would have helped. However, the franchise has hammered in that more muscles doesn't equal more power. If you showed me Super Saiyan next to Super Saiyan Blue without colour in the manga, I'd easily tell the difference, but I honestly couldn't tell you a significant difference between SSB and SSBE. It's a tough situation because differentiating Vegeta's design is always trickier.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:12 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:34 am Eh... I'm split. On the one hand, the anime version is severely overdesigned. It looks tacky, honestly, and it already hasn't aged well. There's a whole thread saying it's the worst thing ever, I wouldn't go that far as I do enjoy how it contrasts against Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken Goku in their tag team fight against Jiren. The colourisation is a nice shift but the particle effects and increased musculature are gratuitous, and don't fit with the more minimalist design philosophies of the other character designs. I don't mind designs that stick out from the crowd but yeah, SSBE in the anime isn't my cup of tea.

On the other hand, I can agree that the manga hasn't done enough to distinguish the 'Evolved' or 'Perfected' Super Saiyan Blue forms from their predecessors. I think Toyotaro has done as good a job as humanly possible with distinguishing the god forms from regular Super Saiyan designs considering the limitations of drawing them without colour. I think maybe a difference in the eyes would have helped. However, the franchise has hammered in that more muscles doesn't equal more power. If you showed me Super Saiyan next to Super Saiyan Blue without colour in the manga, I'd easily tell the difference, but I honestly couldn't tell you a significant difference between SSB and SSBE. It's a tough situation because differentiating Vegeta's design is always trickier.
In fact in the manga the only difference is the aura. Since Goku / Vegeta perfected the Super Saiyan Blue, they no longer manifest aura while they are transformed. Therefore, drawing the aura is an easy way to convey that this form is different from the previous one.

And even while manifesting the aura, the SSB was designed with some dark particles around the user's body, while in the SSBE it is as if all of this mixed together and formed a dense aura. I would prefer that the eyes change to something similar to Ultra Instinct (as it happened in the anime), but I believe it is easy to differentiate between SSB and SSBE anyway

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:29 pm

I particularly don’t care about muscles or irises. I think the aura is the most consistent and easy way to tell which version of Super Saiyan Blue they are using in the manga (despite not liking the idea of having different Blues). In this regard, Broli’s movie meets my preferences, by excluding unnecessary variations of Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan Blue.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:21 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:12 pm
In fact in the manga the only difference is the aura. Since Goku / Vegeta perfected the Super Saiyan Blue, they no longer manifest aura while they are transformed. Therefore, drawing the aura is an easy way to convey that this form is different from the previous one.

And even while manifesting the aura, the SSB was designed with some dark particles around the user's body, while in the SSBE it is as if all of this mixed together and formed a dense aura. I would prefer that the eyes change to something similar to Ultra Instinct (as it happened in the anime), but I believe it is easy to differentiate between SSB and SSBE anyway
When it comes to auras, Toyotaro had a good system going as the original Super Saiyan Blue aura with the energy flecks looked really cool and unique. However, I still see the old Imperfect Super Saiyan Blue energy flecks in the SSBE panels from the Tournament of Power (haven't looked at the latest chapter storyboards so can't comment on them). So it basically now looks like Vegeta's regressed to Imperfect SSB rather than conveying an enhanced sense of power imo. There is a minute difference but I think there needs to be something "more" - I know that's more of a subjective point, but there it is.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:50 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:15 amIt’s not fine to me.
Hence "preference". We all have our own opinions on the design...and that's fine.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:03 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:21 pmWhen it comes to auras, Toyotaro had a good system going as the original Super Saiyan Blue aura with the energy flecks looked really cool and unique. However, I still see the old Imperfect Super Saiyan Blue energy flecks in the SSBE panels from the Tournament of Power (haven't looked at the latest chapter storyboards so can't comment on them). So it basically now looks like Vegeta's regressed to Imperfect SSB rather than conveying an enhanced sense of power imo. There is a minute difference but I think there needs to be something "more" - I know that's more of a subjective point, but there it is.
How about the idea that Vegeta's SSJBE is simply his SSJB now instead of being a distinctly different form? Its more a case of true mastery of a form rather than just transforming into a stronger variant of it like with SSJ2 & SSJ3. I'm more than willing to bet that Vegeta doesn't plan on striving for SSJBE2, SSJBE Grade 2(or 3 or 4), or CSSJBE. It can just be his final form in the God lineage without any implications that there is yet another upgrade to it or another form with their own upgrades.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:37 pm

If we go by that V-Jump publication that showcased all the DBS Manga transformations, then the only way to distinguish SSB from Evolved Blue is the aura. So, I'd say different eyes for Evolved Blue would've been better for the reader, because the aura isn't that different from SSB.
Actually if other people here didn't tell me Vegeta was already using EB in the beginning of this arc, I would have never noticed it.

I'd add that maybe it would have been cool if Evolved Blue took it back to God with the pupils like SSG had. Skinnier like God would've been great too.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:21 pm

I think the aura change is more than enough for what ssjbe is. Not a fan of ssjbe irises or other anime ssjbe design elements. I guess it would be fine if it was present in ssjb, but not only in ssjbe. Having designed ssjg with irises, Toriyama decided to go with regular ssj eyes for ssjb
Maybe if you mix the ssjb anime designs, you will confuse ssjb and ssjbe in the manga, since the anime uses the blue sparks as the aura since the beginning; but if you consider only the manga designs, every ssjb variation is easily distinguishable

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:52 pm

I think the point is that it isn't different from SSB. It's just a "unique mastery" of the form, like when Goku and Gohan fully mastered their super saiyan forms. The form also isn't more muscular.

I feel like it doesn't make much sense to give Vegeta's evolution Ultra Instinct-like eyes unless he was actually achieving it.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:55 pm

I like the anime version better because it looks like the SSJ "san dan dankai" version, an extension of power to a transformation that was already 100% that is why the increase in muscles is greater