How would you feel about a villianous team?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Re: How would you feel about a villianous team?

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:51 pm

With the show focusing on 2 characters alone, a villain team will end in a serie of 1vs1 duels.
So, probably this will never happen.
In a more lucky universe where kids where not such in love with Vegeta, and you had a normal power level evolution, the Z fighters could have specialized and fought against... why not, an evil counterpart of Pride Troopers.
Amassing old opponents wasn't a good idea in GT, and will be not in the future.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:37 pm

Peach wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:00 pm Naruto had the Akatsuki. Bleach had the Espada. Yu Yu Hakusho had the Sensui Seven.

Imagine something like that in Dragon Ball? Filled with new or returning villains alike. Usually we get armies, but I don't think we've ever seen a small team where everyone is useful and on relatively equal footing regardless of power gaps.

I can envision a scenario where Dr. Gero, Cell, or Raditz come back. Or one Frieza puts together MCU style lol.
The closest we got to that was the Ginyu Force. All close in power with a powerful leader and somewhat unique abilities and specializations. I really liked their fight with Vegeta, Krillin, and Goku until Goku showed up. I consider this the best example, because even though they were subordinates to Frieza, they were the strongest characters we'd seen in the show up to that point and Frieza didn't even seem touchable, so these guys for all intents and purposes were the main threat of the arc at that point.
ChronoTwigger wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:51 pm With the show focusing on 2 characters alone, a villain team will end in a serie of 1vs1 duels.
So, probably this will never happen.
Even my example of the Ginyu Force fight broke down into 1vs1 duels. I think Toyotaro actually did this the best we've seen in the series with the Earthlings in the Moro arc. Each fighter had unique opponents and fought in different locations and each fight evolved in unique ways into a "part 2" of sorts. Otherwise DB is just a series of 1v1 fights even when its group vs group.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:05 pm

BWri wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:37 pm Even my example of the Ginyu Force fight broke down into 1vs1 duels. I think Toyotaro actually did this the best we've seen in the series with the Earthlings in the Moro arc. Each fighter had unique opponents and fought in different locations and each fight evolved in unique ways into a "part 2" of sorts. Otherwise DB is just a series of 1v1 fights even when its group vs group.
You're right, but you always know that such low tiers fights will not dramatically impact the plot. ToP example: you'll be aware since the start that Kuririn CAN'T do something relevant and Goku had to instead.
Think of Saint Seiya, instead. Each fight is plot relevant.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:03 pm

ChronoTwigger wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:05 pm You're right, but you always know that such low tiers fights will not dramatically impact the plot. ToP example: you'll be aware since the start that Kuririn CAN'T do something relevant and Goku had to instead.
Think of Saint Seiya, instead. Each fight is plot relevant.
It's honestly not very difficult to do. They just need to focus on a few of the good guys. They could do this whenever they add Broly back into the story. It works for One Piece ever since they introduced Sanji. You just need 2 additional characters close in strength to the protagonist and each can have their own fights. Its worked for RR Kenshin as well.

I still think the Moro arc is the closest we got to this. It's just, thanks to the DB formula, basically anyone who isn't Goku has to ultimately lose or be undermined in some way so that the bad guy can power up further. This arc was fair with that, because at least Goku loses too just as bad as the others.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-