Would you be interested in a Dragon Ball prequel series?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Would you be interested in a Dragon Ball prequel series?

Post by Peach » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:22 am

Seeing all the Saiyans, Zarbon, and Dodoria still alive was pretty cool.

It got me thinking that a series set before Dragon Ball could be interesting.

The Frieza force aside, I would love to see some kind of backstory to Moro, Pikkon, and Garlic Jr's father.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: Would you be interested in a Dragon Ball prequel series?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:59 am

Yes, I would like to see a prequel series about the Gods. It doesn't even have to be an entirely different series, it could just be a story arc set in the past (like 5-10 episodes), which explaisn how the God hierarchy came to be in general. What is the origin of the Omni King, what is the origin of the Angels, what is the origin of the Kais and the Destroyers, who created the cosmos, who is Zalama, and so on... the God hierarchy and their origins are very mysterious and are what interests me the most about the future.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Yes, especially an anthology that focuses on different characters at different times in history.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:04 pm

I think a Dragon Ball prequel could be interesting, but only if it focused on more than just King Vegeta, Bardock, and Frieza. Like you guys are saying, the hierarchy of the gods in the past and their rise and all those stories are way more rich and open to interpretation than the Saiyans' past. We know that story already.

So, it would be strange. We'd need new strong protagonists that presumably have massive power levels able to interact with the GoDs and Angels to make it interesting, in my opinion, but then, who would these characters be? Olibu and Pikkon? That would be interesting, I suppose, but, eh.

Who would you guys imagine a prequel series would be "about?" Who would be our protagonists? Because I feel like that's the most important thing to nail down and use to appeal to a broad audience.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:03 pm

I agree that an anthology series could work. There are a few events that I'd personally like to see expanded:
  • The cataclysm on planet Namek
  • Belmod's path to a God of Destruction, his relationship with Gicchin and his eventual defeat at the hands of Jiren
  • The story of Yamoshi
  • Hit's start as an assassin for hire
  • Piccolo Daimao's original rampage
  • Babidi's enslavement of Dabra
  • Kame-sennin's first Tenkaichi Budokai victory
Not much time needs to be given to these events, maybe an episode or two depending on the story being told.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:13 pm

In universes 6 and 11.

- Beerus and Champa : How did they become Gods of Destruction and where are they from?

- Hit : how did he become the legendary assassin?

- Kale and Caulifla: How Kale found herself on her own before meeting Caulifla. How and why Caulifla built her gang, her conflict with King Sadala and the relationship with her brother Renso. Learn more about it the saiyan legend of universe 6 with Kale.

- Jiren and the demon who killed his parents and his master.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:11 pm

I'd prefer to get more background and history about how everything became to be (the Omni-King, Zalama, the angels, gods, universes ...) interwiven into Super, with a clear connection to the present main storyline as well as flashbacks to the past (like in the movie Broly).
An actual prequel that stands completely alone isn't really needed for me.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:53 pm

Yes, I think I would be also interested in some sort of short movies like Trunks' story and Bardock. Asking Toriyama some key questions about certain subjects and working around them, expanding on the interesting plot ploints other posters are coming up with.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:53 am

I just wanna see Kuririn x 18 wedding.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:59 pm

I'd like to see something related to classic DB lore: Gohan-san, Muten youth...
There's also Zarama concept to indepth, and that surely will touch remote past events.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:14 pm

Ziegander wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:04 pm I think a Dragon Ball prequel could be interesting, but only if it focused on more than just King Vegeta, Bardock, and Frieza. Like you guys are saying, the hierarchy of the gods in the past and their rise and all those stories are way more rich and open to interpretation than the Saiyans' past. We know that story already.

So, it would be strange. We'd need new strong protagonists that presumably have massive power levels able to interact with the GoDs and Angels to make it interesting, in my opinion, but then, who would these characters be? Olibu and Pikkon? That would be interesting, I suppose, but, eh.

Who would you guys imagine a prequel series would be "about?" Who would be our protagonists? Because I feel like that's the most important thing to nail down and use to appeal to a broad audience.
The protagonists could be the Gods themselves. For example, if it was Zalama who created the cosmos then Zalama could be the protagonist and the story could focus on this great ordering of the cosmos and the creation of the various deities and first mortals. The Grand Priest could also be the protagonist, which would allow to show the origins of Ultra Instinct (the technique of the Angels).

I imagine this would be a storyline set in a very ancient era, eons before the main heroes and villains were even born (aside from Majin Buu, who is supposed to have existed since time immemorial). I think this would be quite a unique and fascinating setting. We know so little about the origins of the cosmos, so Toriyama and co. would have a lot of room for creativity and imagination. It would certainly have a very distinct feeling from normal Dragon Ball. No Saiyans, no Earthlings, no Frieza's Race, no Androids... just the Gods (Kais, Destroyers, Angels).

I suppose that Beerus could work as a main character, if you want someone more relatable than Zalama and the Grand Priest. He's popular and iconic, and old enough to be included in a storyline about the origins of the cosmos. This is assuming that he is the first Destroyer God of U7, and as far as I know there's no mention of him having a predecessor

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:55 am

Nah, that kind of stuff is adequately handled in exposition and flashbacks. A whole series feels excessive IMO. I thought maybe a prequel special would be nice, but that's literally the Bardock special. Even Minus has been adapted into animation at this point. Best to look forward if you ask me. Unless we do an OG DB Kai, but that's not really something this thread is asking for, haha.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:23 am

I am not sure I would want a whole serie like that, but I would like a lot to see mini-episodes (a la Pokemon Generations or Pokemon Twilight Wings, or a la Super DB Heroes ) or TV specials set in the past, or exploring moments we never saw.

Of course they could produce an episodic anime like that.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical