Regarding the anime’s “return”

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Regarding the anime’s “return”

Post by shadd21 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:02 am

Why exactly do people still have this belief that it’s happening? It’s been 2 years since anime end and correct me if i’m wrong on this, it’s never been stated or hinted by Toei that a continuation would happen.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Regarding the anime’s “return”

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:30 am

1.The narrator said "a brief parting" at the end of 131
2.They eventually need to start including Moro arc onwards in games, and seems it won't be happening until they appear in the anime.
3.Strictly speaking they should do it while most of the voice cast is alive and well.

If I were in charge of Toei I would resume DBS right after Digimon ends. I have no idea what could possibly replace the slot then, so there's a slight chance :P

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:32 am

No one has to outright say anything to know it'll happen, as Super was financially the best thing to happen to the franchise within the last decade. The question is, when will DB return to TV ? There may have been plans for DB's hiatus to be short, but those plans have clearly changed. Due to the franchise's unpredictable success, there's no reason to invest time and money into such projects, as there's no financial need for them. Obviously this can't last forever, so once the numbers start to seriously go down, you'll start hearing talks of the anime's return.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:18 pm

Toriyama made a new outline.

A new anime/continuation is a lock.

Hopefully if Toei has to adapt Toyo's filth, then they don't retcon their original content (SSBKK, Corruped Zamasu, SS2 Cabba, SS2 Kale, etc) since it's vastly superior.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:21 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:18 pm Toriyama made a new outline.

A new anime/continuation is a lock.

Hopefully if Toei has to adapt Toyo's filth, then they don't retcon their original content (SSBKK, Corruped Zamasu, SS2 Cabba, SS2 Kale, etc) since it's vastly superior.
Nah they won't do that, since all of these forms are super iconic.

I mean, when you read or hear someone say "Corrupted Zamasu", you don't think about the fucking shirtless Zamasu from the manga, you think about the purple gooey Zamasu from the anime. It makes no sense to retcon all of that, as it's the version of events featured in merchandise and videogames.

I don't see why they'd have to retcon it either. Zamasu, Cabba, and Kale are all absent from the Moro arc so it's not like there would be a clash or plot hole or anything.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:31 am

DemonSlayer (that sold like crazy) waited 3 years for the first animated serie, and is near 2 years of hiatus for the second serie. In the meanwhile the manga ended.

Saint Seiya third anime serie happened 13 years after the classic serie.

Wanna tell how much years passed before any JoJo animation?

I'm not entirely sure they will animate Moro and new stuff for a lot of reasons, the first one is probably nonsense to NOT animate it already or skip it in Heroes or games... but two years of waiting is actually nothing to worry about.

DB (Super or not) will continue for sure, the new generation prooved reactive to the franchise.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:33 am

It WILL return at some point.. Just you wait. But given the evidence, rather later than sooner seems to be the more likely scenario.

If I have to make personal prediction at least... I’d have to say DEFINITELY within the next 3 years from now.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:27 pm

It'll return a few years down the line as DBS: Brotherhoodystal Kai, and sort of half-heartedly re-adapt the previously animated arcs from the manga before moving onto new content. People will be lukewarm on it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 pm

I think the scary thing is Masako Nozawa is 84 years old. Even if she lives to 100 or whatever, she may not remain healthy enough or have the vocal chords/strength to play Goku's role and all his screaming in a few years.

While DB will certainly continue after she passes (sadly), I honestly wonder if they're waiting to find a suitable replacement for when the time comes.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:52 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:33 amIf I have to make personal prediction at least... I’d have to say DEFINITELY within the next 3 years from now.
I think we'll start hearing about it once DQ ends, as that's where a good number of Toei's top animators are.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 am

precita wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:30 pm I honestly wonder if they're waiting to find a suitable replacement for when the time comes.
There's a Masako Nozawa cosplayer in Japan who has a voice close to hers, but I doubt they would let that person in, if he (?)'s not signed to the industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZCldNsSog4

I think it would be also against their culture :lol:
But gotta admit, their impression is spot on (well except as Kid Goku, by a bit)

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:18 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:52 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:33 amIf I have to make personal prediction at least... I’d have to say DEFINITELY within the next 3 years from now.
I think we'll start hearing about it once DQ ends, as that's where a good number of Toei's top animators are.
I haven't read the manga, I only watched the old Dragon Quest Great Dai Adventure which got cancelled. I am watching the reboot of Dragon Quest Great Dai Adventure, I hope this time it finish the entire story. I don't know how long it will be, since I haven't read the manga.

There is Bleach that is coming out this year, it is going to continue after the Fullbring Saga.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:26 pm

super michael wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:18 pmI haven't read the manga, I only watched the old Dragon Quest Great Dai Adventure which got cancelled. I am watching the reboot of Dragon Quest Great Dai Adventure, I hope this time it finish the entire story. I don't know how long it will be, since I haven't read the manga.

There is Bleach that is coming out this year, it is going to continue after the Fullbring Saga.
DQ will definitely cover the entire manga.

I really hope they bring in Kubo to make some changes, as I haven't read anything good about the final arc. A good number of fans say things should've ended following Aizen's defeat.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:36 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:26 pm A good number of fans say things should've ended following Aizen's defeat.
Ehh.. it's always the battle obsessed users. Fullbring was an interesting and more on the detective side of things rather than fights. I found it a nice refreshment.

Same how they say that "DB should've ended after X arc". Just stop reading and pretend it did then, sigh.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:39 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:36 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:26 pm A good number of fans say things should've ended following Aizen's defeat.
Ehh.. it's always the battle obsessed users. Fullbring was an interesting and more on the detective side of things rather than fights. I found it a nice refreshment.

Same how they say that "DB should've ended after X arc". Just stop reading and pretend it did then, sigh.
Didn't the arc suffer due to the manga being cut short due to sales declining ?

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 pm

It will definitely come back at some point. I assume they will continue to use the Super branding because of all the work they put in developing it but who knows maybe they will call it Super S for laughs.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:26 pm
super michael wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:18 pmI haven't read the manga, I only watched the old Dragon Quest Great Dai Adventure which got cancelled. I am watching the reboot of Dragon Quest Great Dai Adventure, I hope this time it finish the entire story. I don't know how long it will be, since I haven't read the manga.

DQ will definitely cover the entire manga.

I really hope they bring in Kubo to make some changes, as I haven't read anything good about the final arc. A good number of fans say things should've ended following Aizen's defeat.
Nice can't wait to see it all.

The animed continued after Aizen was defeated, that can't get changed. The next part was the Fullbring which the anime did and finished. What they didn't continue was the Quincy. I can't wait to see the entire manga in anime.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:33 am It WILL return at some point.. Just you wait. But given the evidence, rather later than sooner seems to be the more likely scenario.

If I have to make personal prediction at least... I’d have to say DEFINITELY within the next 3 years from now.
Totally agree!

I can't wait to see the Moro arc adapted into anime!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:47 pm

It was such a successful cash cow for them I'd be shocked if they aren't planning to bring it back at some point.. If I had to guess I think we'll see another Super movie before the series returns to TV, maybe a sequel to Broly, and they'll probably wait for one more arc to finish in the manga before animating it so the anime doesn't risk catching up to the manga.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:45 am

Xeogran wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:30 am 1.The narrator said "a brief parting" at the end of 131
2.They eventually need to start including Moro arc onwards in games, and seems it won't be happening until they appear in the anime.
3.Strictly speaking they should do it while most of the voice cast is alive and well.

If I were in charge of Toei I would resume DBS right after Digimon ends. I have no idea what could possibly replace the slot then, so there's a slight chance :P
1. There was a "brief parting" with the dragon world which was resolved by the next anime, the Dragon Ball Heroes anime. Or if you mean a brief parting in a DBS manner, there was one between end of the series and the Broly movie.
2. They don't actually need to do that as the profits of the DB games are fine without a minor character included.
3. I love the original cast as well, but even during Super some of them were pretty old. I would assume they have understudies already, they can't let a franchise come to a halt when when Goku's VA dies for example. I also don't think they take cast members' age in account when planning a series. I hope not at least, since it would mean another rushed series.