The Beerus Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Triggered Vegeta
Beyond Newbie

Re: The Beerus Thread

Post by Triggered Vegeta » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:51 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:43 pm The poison thing was in the manga.
Cool, glad it was mentioned there. 👍

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:56 pm

Well, I think Beerus' character suffers from being in the central universe of the story. Since his introduction he has been at the top of the U7 in terms of power. Thus, the only way to not fully break the tension by introducing threats that are weaker than him to face the heroes is to keep him away from the battle, and the narrative generally uses the reasons you mentioned in the thread for this.

This results in the need to make Beerus a lazy person who does not do his job properly or don't care about this threats. In the ToP arc, the story itself even builds on this by creating a ranking of the mortal level of each universe, in which U7 is among the worst in large part because of Beerus (and well, the Kaioshins too). And I don't think that's going to change until threats really stronger than Beerus start to appear (with this being explicitly stated in the narrative). Maybe that way they finally have to make Beerus move

But at the same time, Beerus being incompetent following the U7 Kaioshins' trend and being one of the reasons why threats like Freeza have ruled the universe for so long seems appropriate for Dragon Ball
theherodjl wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 am
That's not what a destroyer's job is. The duty of a Hakaishin is described as the following.
As new planets are born, the God of Destruction destroys existing planets in order to maintain the balance of life in the universe.
A destroyer can choose to eliminate danger to mortals & deities if they so choose to. However, that isn't their job: they simply exist to destroy things so that new worlds & species can spring forth.
Actually, yes, the Hakaishins' job is also to destroy threats.

I mean, this is part of what makes the balance of life in the universe, since threats harm that balance. Part of the reason why U7 has such a low mortal level is because Beerus let beings like Freeza and Majin Boo destroy or rule countless planets

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:27 pm

It's nice to have character appreciation threads.

Anyway, I think Beerus makes a fitting addition to the DB verse. And "fitting" matters, because Toriyama's style is unique - this is a walking cat who is also a god in charge of destruction, a counterbalance to the god of creation. He's like a higher-class and more temperamental version of Korin the cat king, and combines moments of cat-like petulance and selfishness (for fun humor - eg the pudding scene) with moments of reasonability and responsibility as befits his position.

He's been a nice addition and a fun character so far IMO.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:15 pm

I like beerus in his anime and movie version but I feel that his manga version has run out of excuses for beerus not to intervene or have any development of some kind ... despite the consequences

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:51 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:11 pmBeerus reveals to Vegeta that there are indeed other paths to strength as a Hakaishin, and cheekily hints that he will give Vegeta a demonstration soon. This is a good sign that Beerus may finally pull his damn finger out and teach Vegeta "the Hakaishin way"
Well , Beerus said “I’m gonna exercise to wake up” “ if you see something you want , feel free to steal it “ ... so kinda follow me and I’ll show you right now , just said in the proud way not being straightforward, what I mean is ... it’s happening ....now
Nice post , thanks
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:52 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. :thumbup:

As much as I love Beerus and Whis as a duo, I would be interested in seeing Beerus bereft of Whis for an arc. Maybe all the Angels get recalled unexpectedly by Daishinkan for some additional training to avoid any further Merus situations. We've seen Whis acting alone several times and Beerus, being the pampered cat he is, is so used to having his inseparable attendant by his side. I like Ponta's point that Beerus probably wouldn't get involved at all without prompting from Whis. We've seen that Beerus can insanely reckless with his powers - even a simple sneeze can destroy an entire planet. It would be quite a funny gag for him to accidentally sneeze his own planet to oblivion, only for there to be no Whis to reverse his mistake, forcing him to temporarily move to Earth until Whis returns. I'd imagine this sort of thing would only happen in anime filler

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:06 pm

Am I the only one that feels this arc will finally unveil Beerus' real place in the ranking of strenght? It's the first time we are seeing him even speak about training, and he is -in his own way- inviting Vegeta over, too. His character seems to be getting off his ass, probably due to Goku's meteoric ascension. That's not to say he will take part in the arc, which he probably won't.

I'm still wary about placing him above UI Goku, nothing implied that in the past arc, actually it was the other way around (with him NOT wanting the other GoDs finding out that he was about to team up with Goku, like it would make him look bad), and his not-so-happy look when Goku went UI vs Whis. Though, I'm open to the sort-of-retcon that might be coming his way that would have him still being casually the strongest.

My guess is Beerus can still be as strong as he was meant to be lately (SSB fusion level-ish from FT arc to the Broly movie), but still prove to be a tougher challenge when this new technique of his is unleashed. Without the need for him to be, as he is, the strongest anymore. Just like Hit, Moro, and UI can punch above their weight thanks to particular techniques.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:06 pm(with him NOT wanting the other GoDs finding out that he was about to team up with Goku, like it would make him look bad)
My impression from the wording, looking at it from the perspective of Chapter 68, is that Beerus is about to use the technique Gods of Destruction use (which Vegeta is on course to learn/'steal') and he'll get in trouble "if the other Gods of Destruction see me do this", rather than it being a reference simply to teaming up with Goku. I think it's a specific tease, in retrospect.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:26 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:06 pm(with him NOT wanting the other GoDs finding out that he was about to team up with Goku, like it would make him look bad)
My impression from the wording, looking at it from the perspective of Chapter 68, is that Beerus is about to use the technique Gods of Destruction use (which Vegeta is on course to learn/'steal') and he'll get in trouble "if the other Gods of Destruction see me do this", rather than it being a reference simply to teaming up with Goku. I think it's a specific tease, in retrospect.
Interesting, I did not take into account chapter 68 for that scene. Why do you think he'd be in trouble, or "ashamed"(as I'd say) for using it? Do you think that technique might be sort of like 'cheating' or something alike?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:58 am

What if the technique is just hakai/energy of destruction? Then after Vegeta learns it, Goku is like 'Oh, I already know how to do that. I tried it against Zamasu, remember?'
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:08 am

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:26 pm
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 pm
Interesting, I did not take into account chapter 68 for that scene. Why do you think he'd be in trouble, or "ashamed"(as I'd say) for using it? Do you think that technique might be sort of like 'cheating' or something alike?
It depends on what it ends up being, of course, but the implication is that it's a special technique of the Gods of Destruction that shouldn't be splashed around willy-nilly - perhaps it would be vulgar or rash (or even dangerous) to do so, in some way. Beerus even says he's only even thinking of doing it against Moro because it's a special case, and he speaks about it very coyly to Vegeta in a way that is giving him some plausible deniability if Vegeta manages to "steal" it for himself. So it's probably something that really shouldn't be more widely known or taught, but (bringing this back around to Beerus's own character, as per the OP) Beerus typically makes terrible choices for awful reasons that cause him bigger trouble down the line.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:58 am What if the technique is just hakai/energy of destruction? Then after Vegeta learns it, Goku is like 'Oh, I already know how to do that. I tried it against Zamasu, remember?'
I don’t think it’s Hakai. Based on their God of Destruction nature, in contrast to angels, I would imagine this technique works similar to (One Punch Man) Boros’ meteoric burst, when he releases all the energy stored in his body in a sequence of inhuman movements.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:44 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:13 pm
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:58 am What if the technique is just hakai/energy of destruction? Then after Vegeta learns it, Goku is like 'Oh, I already know how to do that. I tried it against Zamasu, remember?'
I don’t think it’s Hakai. Based on their God of Destruction nature, in contrast to angels, I would imagine this technique works similar to (One Punch Man) Boros’ meteoric burst, when he releases all the energy stored in his body in a sequence of inhuman movements.
It was just a suggestion that would be funny.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:08 pm

On a side note, Ultra Instinct also suits Goku in the sense that he has trained to refine his mind since the beginning. Perhaps this new technique is related to Vegeta’s ruthless fighting style, something he has been taught until he met Goku.