Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Marz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:10 pm No, they confirmed it to take place before the tournament. So hopefully the movie ends with a nod or something to Uub.

By the way, someone mentioned Granola, but the answer didn't say anything. I think the movie won't acknowledge the manga events.
They said that since the Granola arc is still on going, they wanted to avoid spoilers. So they ''only'' mentioned that the movie is set after Broly and before EoZ.

By that I just assume that some event from the current arc might have an influence on the movie.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:00 pm

The animation is a huge let down when considering how amazing Broly looked. It just looks like a PS4 game, very unnecessary.

Might be interesting though. Broly being in it is a plus for this but it does come across like it's going to be more kid friendly and that let Battle of Gods down.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:01 pm

Marz wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm By that I just assume that some event from the current arc might have an influence on the movie.
Realistically, that seems unlikely, as all odds are the film was conceived and even wholly scripted before the current arc was finalized.

More likely, the Granolah arc was plotted in such a way as to not contradict Super Hero at all. Though it'll probably feel episodic enough for that not to have been any major hurdle.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:02 pm

Wow... that teaser trailer looked like dog shit. And there hasn't been anything show that seriously piques my interest in this film from a narrative perspective.

God... the only possible sliver of interest for me so far is that Broly is going to appear, but I have a horrible feeling it will be a glorified cameo.

The fact they still haven't provided a date for when they want to release the film for next year also concerns me as well. Unless Toei trying to organise a simultaneous worldwide release and they haven't sorted that part out yet.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:04 pm

Marz wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pmThey said that since the Granola arc is still on going, they wanted to avoid spoilers. So they ''only'' mentioned that the movie is set after Broly and before EoZ.

By that I just assume that some event from the current arc might have an influence on the movie.
It's possible. It's just that we have seen movie ignoring the manga before (Movie 1), so I would say it's very likely that this movie will also continue to do that. It would be a bit weird to mention something that only exists in a manga not available for everyone, not only that, but the manga is way less popular and marketable.

Well, it's a wait-and-see situation regardless of anything.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:07 pm

Very intrigued to see how the Red Ribbon Army fits in the story and how they interject with the Gamma duo.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:12 pm

This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:15 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:02 pm Wow... that teaser trailer looked like dog shit. And there hasn't been anything show that seriously piques my interest in this film from a narrative perspective.

God... the only possible sliver of interest for me so far is that Broly is going to appear, but I have a horrible feeling it will be a glorified cameo.

The fact they still have provided a date for when they want to release the film for next year also concerns me as well. Unless Toei trying to organise a simultaneous worldwide release and they haven't sorted that part out yet.

For all the flak that the former Broly movie got for being a cashgrab this one seems like WAYY more of a cashgrab with nothing truly new or interesting & banking on brand name recognition alone.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:19 pm

This already looks so much better than two last movies and most of DBS series. Finally we seem to get something a bit more original and creative for the first time since Battle of Gods (and maybe Moro arc partially, if we count manga). Artstyle is...okay i guess? We will see. Perhaps we will get used to it after first few minutes. What matters more is story to me. Good to see Pan getting some attention and Piccolo probably has bigger role compared to last movie. I really hope Goku and Vegeta are not main heroes of this one. Actually a bit hyped for it. More than for last two movies for sure. It can't be worse than those.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:23 pm

Cipher wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:01 pm
Marz wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 pm By that I just assume that some event from the current arc might have an influence on the movie.
Realistically, that seems unlikely, as all odds are the film was conceived and even wholly scripted before the current arc was finalized.

More likely, the Granolah arc was plotted in such a way as to not contradict Super Hero at all. Though it'll probably feel episodic enough for that not to have been any major hurdle.
I agree, and with the tone of this movie being lighter there probably won't be any need for some of the new things we're seeing in the current arc to show up in the movie (so there's no reason for them to go out of their way and show manga-only content here). It just felt like he was acknowledging influence of the Granola arc in some form in this movie by mentioning ''spoilers'', even if the movie itself doesn't directly reference the arc. So I just assumed that something that happens in the movie might be a result of what we're seeing now, even if it's not something big or relevant.
Last edited by Marz on Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:24 pm

Bleh! I don't like the art style or the way the storyline seems to be headed. There were a few stills that can be mistaken for 2d that look good (The pan scene), but most of it looks jank and Tv quality at most. Also, the Red ribbon army cup kinda substantiates a theory I had. Other than that, I think I will skip this one, I'm not spending money on it, sorry.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:26 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:29 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:26 pm A decade after Buu is enough to get us past this midquel timeslot
It's technically still the midquel, just at the end of it. Which means the characters are still plot-protected by the EoZ shield.
I think they're more plot protected by this being Dragon Ball, the series with Dragon Balls, that are always used to wish people back to life. None of the main cast stays dead unless they want to.

I'm fairly excited about the events of the movie. Looks like a super fun departure from the norm. The focus on Pan, Goku, and Piccolo is fantastic. And the half second cameo from Broly has all sorts of interesting implications to it.

The animation and art however is hit or miss for me. Sometimes it looks good, other times it look weird and choppy. I'm okay with the look, but I hope they smooth out how characters move and give us a decent framerate.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:27 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:24 pm Bleh! I don't like the art style or the way the storyline seems to be headed. There were a few stills that can be mistaken for 2d that look good (The pan scene), but most of it looks jank and Tv quality at most. Also, the Red ribbon army cup kinda substantiates a theory I had. Other than that, I think I will skip this one, I'm not spending money on it, sorry.
You know what, I think a lot more people are gonna skip the cinema screenings based on the animation alone.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:31 pm

I wonder IF there is a next movie after this (or anything DB animated for that matter) will they do a "break the glass in case of emergency" type of deal and drop a proper 2-d movie with cooler/janemba?
Last edited by ObnoxiousNamek on Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:31 pm

This actually looks better than I thought. But nothing beats normal animation. It reminded me of Dragon Ball Online opening (shame the game wasn't good). Let's hope Piccolo will do something good this time. Not EoZ yet, so Goten and Trunks probably still looks like five year old kids.
I wish movie completly ignored the manga. I'm not hyped though. I want to be hyped, because of Piccolo and Pan (and the probability of Vegeta having very little screen time) but I guess I'm just burned or... exhausted of modern DB being constant disappointment. We'll see.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:34 pm

There are three HD pictures of Pan that look phenomenal, especially the background:

https://twitter.com/DBZcom/status/14461 ... 85443?s=20

The trailer quality is very bad and probably doesn’t do justice to the movie’s visual. That said, I am not a huge fan of how it looks but I also don’t mind it. Some Goku drawings are absolutely gorgeous, and I think they will improve the visuals furthermore before the release.

The story seems interesting! I am excited to see Karin! He must play a decent part for them to ask Toriyama to draw him.
And, finally, Broly confirmation!

I am positively looking forward to more.
Last edited by emperior on Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:34 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:27 pm
Extreme_kai wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:24 pm Bleh! I don't like the art style or the way the storyline seems to be headed. There were a few stills that can be mistaken for 2d that look good (The pan scene), but most of it looks jank and Tv quality at most. Also, the Red ribbon army cup kinda substantiates a theory I had. Other than that, I think I will skip this one, I'm not spending money on it, sorry.
You know what, I think a lot more people are gonna skip the cinema screenings based on the animation alone.
Sad but true, and the situation with Covid is not going to help this movie either. I don't know... nothing excites me for this movie. I'm happy for Piccolo fans but the absence of Gohan has me a bit worried. There is still some time to see more characters, but everything feels so lackluster to me so far.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:36 pm

The shots with Pan are honestly the only bits of genuinely beautiful-looking imagery in the film.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:41 pm

Kanassa wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:54 pm Are they hinting the villains have to do with the Red Ribbon Army? The little dude does kinda look like Commander Red with black hair.

And confirmation that Piccolo has been training Pan.
I write about this before that the two new hero?/villain? looking guys remind me of red ribbon androids by their uniforms. This new hint kinda makes me feel like that may be the direction they are going, but we will see. If they wanted to be even more fan servicey and wacky they could slip in Cell Jrs, possibly a cell revival? It seems to be the best way to get him in since they keep complaining about drawing spots. I'm not saying that to get people's hopes up (0r down) for old villain stuff, but I could see a Gohan/Pan great Saiyanman team-up against an old antagonist for Gohan. IDK just speculating since Gohan is still oddly absent so far.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Extreme_kai wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:34 pm Sad but true, and the situation with Covid is not going to help this movie either.
You say this, but it's the movies released during Covid that are breaking all kinds of box office records :twisted:
People seem to be bored of staying home for so long, and I'm sure the "I miss DBS" factor will help too. And Broly's presence certainly will.