Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2: "Super Hero" Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by BWri » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:37 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:29 pm Piccolo having the older namekian skin bump thingies is neat. It just makes me wonder how much of a timeskip there's gonna be here?
I like the idea, though I think they're just going with manga coloring since the obi sash is red. He still has 4 fingers instead of 3 so idk.

I'm not excited about the CG animation but the title opens itself for a lot of possibilities. I get the feeling this one will be a lot more fun and comedic than the last 2 movies. It's feeling like it'll have more of a Gohan focus too since Pan, Piccolo, and Krillin are the first characters they've shown, and of course the "Superhero" subtitle. And its nice to see an aged up character!

Color me excited!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:37 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:34 pm Of course the next time Toei would drop the ball would be with Dragon Ball again. After all the praise DBS Broly got, they screw up again.
It is important to note that the CGI model was meant to show how Goku would move around. I don't think they indicated that it would be a model for a CG film.
I would welcome one, but I am still not gonna make a formal conclusion yet.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:39 pm

BWri wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:37 pm It's feeling like it'll have more of a Gohan focus too since Pan, Piccolo, and Krillin are the first characters they've shown, and of course the "Superhero" subtitle. And its nice to see an aged up character!
Oh my goodness, imagine if it features GREAT SAIYAMAN (unfortunately, sans saiyawoman).
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BWri

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by BWri » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:41 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:18 pm Here's a design for the new character of the movie:

He might be a Cyborg ala Cyborg 009. Another favorite show of mine.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:42 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:33 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:32 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:28 pm Can't say I dig CG Goku. Some things just don't translate well to 3D and Dragon Ball is one of them.
Dragon Ball FighterZ says hi!
Here comes every other DB video game made in the past 20 years, too.
I've honestly never liked how Dragon Ball has looked whenever it has dipped its toes into 3D. There's always been just this wooden and lifeless expression about it that has left me unimpressed.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:43 pm

I noticed the new guy looks like a.. Jump Force character, of all things.. :(
Let's hope his character writing will be miles above whatever that game showed.
Last edited by Xeogran on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Love the new character designs. One and Two look great. Pan is aged up, so maybe this takes place after the Granolla the Survivor arc?

I love that Piccolo has a house and a mailbox.

Love the manga-centric visual changes.

I'm very disappointed by the visuals. I hate the method of lowering the framerate on normal CGI animation to make it seem like 2D animation. I don't think it achieves that effect at all. I think the smooth animation in DBZ Burst Limit looks better. Goku's face and silhouette (due to the attention to hair positioning) looks pretty good, but I don't like the shading, and I think his pants look particularly bad.

I'm intrigued by the concept. Based on the title, I'm excited at the potential for more Great Saiyaman. This may also borrow from Toyble's/Toyotaro's DBAF idea where there are various heroes and an official ranking. I would love for the focus to be on Piccolo, Kuririn, and Pan, but I doubt that'll happen.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:44 pm

The fish guy looks stupid LOL! But the bald guy looks cool, is he the new villain? He certainly has an imposing aura to him.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Welp...seems like it is indeed most likely going to be a CGI film, and that's very disappointing... especially after they nailed the look of Broly and went all out on the animation there. Big loss of enthusiasm from me :( I'm wondering if covid is the cause or if it was always going to be the plan.

Pan looks fantastic though. I've been wanting more Toriyama written Pan for years. And the fact that they're unifying the designs for this movie is interesting. Will we be getting purple haired Bulma?

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Where are you all seeing these images? Is it just on the stream right now?

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:46 pm

The interesting thing is weather or not this movie is cannon to the story. Because if this is Post Moro, or Post Granolah you got a bit of a problem because Anime Only watchers are gonna be confused if its cannon to the manga and you have Goku using MUI at will or Vegeta having his new form.

Which makes me think either this movie isn't cannon, or they will ignore the Manga's events entirely.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:47 pm

It cracks me up that the slightly unexpected character seems to be Pan. That is certainly slightly unexpected, Toriyama, I'll give you that. :lol:
But with this, I really wonder what the relation between the movie and EoZ is, and what the status of EoZ is for that matter. And the relation with the manga, though of course this info does firmly place the movie post-Moro (baby Pan appears at the afterparty) and post-Granolah unless there's a significant timeskip in the Granolah arc.

Also, the teaser animation looked like it was FighterZ machinima. Not terribly excited by that. The name is strange, too, but not necessarily in a negative way.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:48 pm

Wait where are people seeing the character designs? I’ve only seen the trailer with Goku.

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Super Murjin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:51 pm

what if the "new" character/characters are teenage Trunks and teenage Goten disguised as Hero 1 and Hero 2 ???
That would be very unexpected.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:52 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:46 pm The interesting thing is weather or not this movie is cannon to the story. Because if this is Post Moro, or Post Granolah you got a bit of a problem because Anime Only watchers are gonna be confused if its cannon to the manga and you have Goku using MUI at will or Vegeta having his new form.

Which makes me think either this movie isn't cannon, or they will ignore the Manga's events entirely.
Or it will be an slice of life movie where Goku won't have a reason to tap into MUI and will leave the fighting to preschooler Pan :lol:

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:54 pm

This is definitely a post EoZ movie! Pan looks older than she does during EoZ

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:56 pm

Kinokima wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:48 pm Wait where are people seeing the character designs? I’ve only seen the trailer with Goku.
Okay older Pan is cute. I like that. I never expected them to do a movie set in the future but here we are so that’s a positive.

I hope we see more character designs soon

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:56 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:52 pm
DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:46 pm The interesting thing is weather or not this movie is cannon to the story. Because if this is Post Moro, or Post Granolah you got a bit of a problem because Anime Only watchers are gonna be confused if its cannon to the manga and you have Goku using MUI at will or Vegeta having his new form.

Or it will be an slice of life movie where Goku won't have a reason to tap into MUI and will leave the fighting to preschooler Pan :lol:
Ooooh Who's to say Goku and Vegeta are even in this movie? Given we see Pan, Police Krilin, and Piccolo having a house on earth this seems to be more earth centric story and maybe lower stakes. And this is in the few months between the Moro arc and Granolah arc where Goku and Vegeta were off Training with Whis and Beerus.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:57 pm

Definitely hoping that this is like PokeToon #3. Just fun, warm Pan scenes.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Super Murjin
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Coming 2022! (Toriyama Scripting!)

Post by Super Murjin » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:59 pm

BWri wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:41 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:18 pm Here's a design for the new character of the movie:

He might be a Cyborg ala Cyborg 009. Another favorite show of mine.
Goten and Trunks under disguise as super heros