Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #2 Thread: "Super Hero"

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:53 am

Despite all the hate this new CGI animation is getting, and that the shading isn't what I'm used to, I'm liking these designs.
At least, Goku doesn't have a tiny, weird-looking hand like the butler from Scary Movie 2, like in Broly.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:37 amOr better yet overhaul the entire Dragon Room or team working on Super & get some fresh blood that actually want to do something different,new & exciting with the franchise.
Yeah, someone from Dimps should be in that "Dragon Room" (if there aren't any already). It seems they're the only ones interested in doing something different, new and exciting. They should find and hire their own "Kevin Feige" too.
emperior wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:49 amNow it will be obvious to everyone that Ultimate is indeed treated like a transformation
More obvious than this?

Anyway, pretty sure outlined eyes and the eyebrows always in diagonal, resembling a Saiyan's face, has always been a characteristic of Ultimate. You can spot those differences in the recent images. This does establish that whenever Gohan transforms into Ultimate, his hairstyle will change. How drastic will depend on the hairstyle of his base form, since Gohan always had spiked hair, the differences were minimal (though growing a bang should be a major indication of that, as it is the case in Dragon Ball Super).

(People are always quick to say how the movies are "more in line" with Toyotaro's manga, but then enters a(nother) movie where Ultimate is treated as a transformation, something only Toei has done. Though it also happens in Movie 14, where Toriyama was also involved).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:16 am

So in that keychain image I shared earlier there are 2 characters they're keeping under wraps and waiting to reveal later on. Any speculation on who they might be?

I'm going to assume they're Goten and Trunks. Toei are fully aware of how desperately fans want to see them aged up and have intentionally not shown them in any of the promo material so far. This is a movie that's going to feature tons of characters (we got designs of Dende and Karin, like, c'mon :lol: ) and they've aged up Pan and Dende, so I'm like 99% sure they're saving Goten and Trunks for a surprise later.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 am
ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:37 amOr better yet overhaul the entire Dragon Room or team working on Super & get some fresh blood that actually want to do something different,new & exciting with the franchise.
Yeah, someone from Dimps should be in that "Dragon Room" (if there aren't any already). It seems they're the only ones interested in doing something different, new and exciting. They should find and hire their own "Kevin Feige" too.
Heavily agree on the bolded throw in some staff from Arcsys too.

Get a Chief Creative director ala Kevin Fige for the DB room & Keep Toriyama in a supervisory role. Get rid of Hayashida and Iyoku both of them give off heavy money grubbing vibes that don’t really care about what they are putting out. Kick Toyotaro out completely or give him the Yamamuro treatment and keep him on a side project indefinitely that has no involvement with the main story.

Replace the three with people who actually want to do something with the franchise and are creative. The way those 3 have been involved in modern DB creation reminds me of a high-schooler assigned to write a thousand word essay But their only goal is to reach a thousand words; it doesn't matter to them what those 1000 words actually contain or mean.

Also set 4 hard rules that everyone on the team follows including Toriyama:

1.No more Retcons
2.No Z retellings or amalgamations of DB/Z era arcs or movies disguised as “new arc”.
3.No unnecessary transformations/power ups
4.Keep overall consistency across the board I.e art style etc.

If fixes like this were done Super would be a much better series than what it currently is.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:53 am Despite all the hate this new CGI animation is getting, and that the shading isn't what I'm used to, I'm liking these designs.
At least, Goku doesn't have a tiny, weird-looking hand like the butler from Scary Movie 2, like in Broly.
The CGI getting hate for necessary reasons as I mentioned in my previous post,The thing is the more we accept mediocrity and poor quality product the more they will make it for us to consume and this will become the new norm that is an absolute reality you like it or not.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:14 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 am
Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:53 am Despite all the hate this new CGI animation is getting, and that the shading isn't what I'm used to, I'm liking these designs.
The CGI getting hate for necessary reasons as I mentioned in my previous post,The thing is the more we accept mediocrity and poor quality product the more they will make it for us to consume and this will become the new norm that is an absolute reality you like it or not.
I like it, so take your hate to somebody else, love.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:33 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:14 am
There is no hate my friend this is the harsh reality because At the end of the day it is the consumers that decides the fate of any product,love.
Last edited by Mr_CINDER on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:45 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 am
Grimlock wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 am
Heavily agree on the bolded throw in some staff from Arcsys too.

Get a Chief Creative director ala Kevin Fige for the DB room & Keep Toriyama in a supervisory role. Get rid of Hayashida and Iyoku both of them give off heavy money grubbing vibes that don’t really care about what they are putting out. Kick Toyotaro out completely or give him the Yamamuro treatment and keep him on a side project indefinitely that has no involvement with the main story.

Replace the three with people who actually want to do something with the franchise and are creative. The way those 3 have been involved in modern DB creation reminds me of a high-schooler assigned to write a thousand word essay But their only goal is to reach a thousand words; it doesn't matter to them what those 1000 words actually contain or mean.

Also set 4 hard rules that everyone on the team follows including Toriyama:

1.No more Retcons
2.No Z retellings or amalgamations of DB/Z era arcs or movies disguised as “new arc”.

If fixes like this were done Super would be a much better series than what it currently is.
I dont know why they are going for pixar type DB movie(i am saying this because this movie shaping out to be kinda like incredibles) and have you seen the TOEI slogan? gives dreams and hope to children all over the world.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:51 am

This movie feels like a big fat nothing. Tired of the nostalgia bait this series loves to do nowadays.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:12 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 amThe CGI getting hate for necessary reasons as I mentioned in my previous post,The thing is the more we accept mediocrity and poor quality product the more they will make it for us to consume and this will become the new norm that is an absolute reality you like it or not.
I think these kinds of comments are unfair. If someone isn't criticizing the movie or CGI every comment, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll accept anything they consider poor quality. There were several sequels, reboots, etc of popular franchises in the last few years that didn't breakeven. The majority of people who didn't care enough to watch them in theaters also didn't care enough to rant about them online. I'm kinda in the same boat. I look forward to the movie but I'm waiting to learn more to decide if I'll be interested enough to watch it in theaters or wait until it's available for streaming.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:57 am

OLKv3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:51 am This movie feels like a big fat nothing. Tired of the nostalgia bait this series loves to do nowadays.
If it was such a nostalgia bait why did it not pick more popular stuff than the Red Ribbon Army?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:03 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:57 am
OLKv3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:51 am This movie feels like a big fat nothing. Tired of the nostalgia bait this series loves to do nowadays.
If it was such a nostalgia bait why did it not pick more popular stuff than the Red Ribbon Army?
It did. This whole thing is an Android arc memorial, with a side helping of Broly

FatLee

Post by FatLee » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:05 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:51 am This movie feels like a big fat nothing.
Based on allllll that information we have? :roll:

Personally, I'm interested to see if this movie will impact the manga (and eventual anime?) in any way. I don't recall Broly even getting mentioned other than the promo page before Moro arc started, but he's being carried all the way to Super Hero. I wonder if he will return in the manga or become something of a movie-exclusive feature - would also like to see if any other new characters stick around.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:06 pm

Skar wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:12 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:06 amThe CGI getting hate for necessary reasons as I mentioned in my previous post,The thing is the more we accept mediocrity and poor quality product the more they will make it for us to consume and this will become the new norm that is an absolute reality you like it or not.
I think these kinds of comments are unfair. If someone isn't criticizing the movie or CGI every comment, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll accept anything they consider poor quality. There were several sequels, reboots, etc of popular franchises in the last few years that didn't breakeven. The majority of people who didn't care enough to watch them in theaters also didn't care enough to rant about them online. I'm kinda in the same boat. I look forward to the movie but I'm waiting to learn more to decide if I'll be interested enough to watch it in theaters or wait until it's available for streaming.

Dragon Ball isn't being read, watched or enjoyed anymore. It's simply being consumed, that's the main problem.
Even if this movie is well bellow standards, lots of people will watch it anyways, because 'at long last there is new DB-animated material that matters, hype, hype, hype'.
The standard DB-fan doesn't really want quality, he is simply so desperate for new content that basically everything is good, even if he has seen the same content dozens of times before. As long as it has the signature Akira Toriyama beneath it, he will be pleased with it.

We shouldn't be brainwashed by nostalgia alone. We have the right to call it good enough or not.

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:32 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:06 pm The standard DB-fan doesn't really want quality, he is simply so desperate for new content that basically everything is good, even if he has seen the same content dozens of times before. As long as it has the signature Akira Toriyama beneath it, he will be pleased with it.
Thanks for your social analysis but let's not speak on the behalf of other people shall we? The fan community is so numerous and diverse that we have people from all kinds of ages, nationalities, races, genders etc. watching DB for various reasons and enjoying different content from it.

I'm personally amazed how much hate this movie gets when it's not even out yet. I'm going to give it a chance and not because i DonT hAve AnY sTanDardS but because it seems fair to know something before criticizing it. Maybe the CGI won't turn out so bad or maybe they'll make it work into the movie.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:43 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:33 am
Koitsukai wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:14 am
There is no hate my friend this is the harsh reality because At the end of the day it is the consumers that decides the fate of any product,love.
I'm so confused by this post. The movie isn't even out yet, consumers haven't decided the fate of anything??? What am I missing here.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:44 pm

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:58 amAlso set 4 hard rules that everyone on the team follows including Toriyama:

1.No more Retcons

5. They must know when to say "no" or to impose conditions. A deep talk is mandatory before coming up with any new content.

Considering I agree with everything else you said, sir we do have a nice vision for the franchise. :)
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:02 pm

For real. Are some of you actually reading anything other than your own posts?

There is constant discussion about all of the new products and there is an overwhelming amount of completely different opinions about them. And they're all filled with really interesting nuance and minutia! Persona A agrees with Person B about Aspect X but disagrees on Aspect Y! It's wild!

Like me! I don't love the CG direction. But I also don't think they'll stick with it long-term, and yet I still want to see what they're capable of with it! I don't love the fact that they're going to a past concept and using Red Ribbon as a basis. But I'm interested in what they've shown me of that story! I don't think Toriyama is the end-all/be-all when it comes to creating stories. But I value his input, and I think it's essential to the overall feeling of Dragon Ball, even today!

Can you accept what I just said? Do I even exist?!

The one or two of you keep coming back with this completely insane write-off attitude about the entire franchise and its fandom as if you speak for everyone. Knock it off once and for all, would you kindly?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:14 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:06 pmDragon Ball isn't being read, watched or enjoyed anymore. It's simply being consumed, that's the main problem.
Even if this movie is well bellow standards, lots of people will watch it anyways, because 'at long last there is new DB-animated material that matters, hype, hype, hype'.
The standard DB-fan doesn't really want quality, he is simply so desperate for new content that basically everything is good, even if he has seen the same content dozens of times before. As long as it has the signature Akira Toriyama beneath it, he will be pleased with it.

We shouldn't be brainwashed by nostalgia alone. We have the right to call it good enough or not.
I'm not sure how you would reach this conclusion. I pointed out that several Hollywood remakes and sequels from popular franchises have flopped in recent years. These are wide release films with a bigger audience worldwide that DB but nostalgia alone still wasn't enough. Nostalgia might be a reason why they're still into the franchise but they still have to find something appealing about the film itself to consider it worth watching in theaters instead of waiting for it to be available for streaming.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:45 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:57 am
I mean, the look of Gohan in this movie clearly pays homage to Teen Gohan from the Cell saga, who is one of the most popular fan-favourites. So while it's true that these villains are unlikely to even be remembered after this movie, they are clearly appealing to the Gohan nostalgia in the MC department.