Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 78 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 78 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:35 pm

Elec reviving Bardock to get revenge would be badass, actually.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:20 pm

It'd be wild if Bardock going against the heeters serves as further reasoning for Freeza to blow up Planet Vegeta

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:55 am

Drafts on the 13th, and the 17th volume cover releases a few days later, meaning we'll get this chapter right after finally learning Ultra Ego's colour.

I wonder if Freeza will ever show up or if he'll be the Godot of the arc. Elecc's wish should be Freeza-related as well, they still see him as the one they have to overcome to fulfill their dreams.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:07 am

Bardock to be revived for whatever reason wouldn't surprise me, but hopefully it doesn't happen. Some characters should just stay dead.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:09 pm

I guess if the tease will be part of the early-page drafts coming in a few days (i.e., the plot moves on notably in the first 10ish pages of the Chapter), then it's quite possible that the resolution of the Bardock-Heeters flashback will be deferred beyond the bounds of this Chapter and the story will take place entirely in the present.

I'm hoping for that to be the case, truth be told. At this stage, it feels like whatever yet-to-be-revealed significance the remaining past events might have are likely to be enhanced by having more present-day material/action to resonate with.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:41 am

1) It's odd to be getting new DB material where I'm actively excited and intrigued by Bardock playing a role. I suppose because this time it isn't for his own sake or simply as disconnected lore, but involves Goku learning about his own parentage, which is interesting in that new wrinkles for Goku are interesting. I also thought the previous chapter, with Bardock at the fore, was just really well executed and enjoyable in its own right.

2)

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:31 am

I reeeeeeeally can’t see how wishing Bardock back would help the heeters. His battle strength would be on par with the fighters in the Saiyan Saga. The only thing he’d have going for him is being a psy-op.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:23 am

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:09 pm I guess if the tease will be part of the early-page drafts coming in a few days (i.e., the plot moves on notably in the first 10ish pages of the Chapter), then it's quite possible that the resolution of the Bardock-Heeters flashback will be deferred beyond the bounds of this Chapter and the story will take place entirely in the present.
I wouldn't bet on it, but that'd be very preferable. I said last month that the Bardock stuff was all fun in its own right, and I guess it's a neat excuse to have Goku learn about his dad, but it's not apparent how any of it serves the story on a level beyond the basic backstory shenanigans needed to clarify who actually killed Granolah's mother. If he's connected thematically, my guess is that it's Gas being unable to let go of losing their fight, which... has a lot more to do with Gas than with Bardock as far as character motives go.

But as a monthly reader, I'm also just more interested in the present timeframe right now. What will Elec wish for? What's Granolah's next move? Those are the things I keep coming back to. Helluva lot more appealing than simply "how did Bardock beat up Gas?", for me.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:32 am

I really want to know if Elecc is gonna start going his own, selfish, way. I have a suspicion that he is just like Bojack and won't hesitate to throw one of his siblings under the bus if needed to.

He is the most interesting character by now to me, although maybe because we know nothing about him yet.

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:15 am

I keep telling people that the Heeters are basically a Mafia. Elec seems like the type to sacrifice his henchman it brothers for money or intel. Hell, even Granolah was one of his goons technically.

It's so obvious that 0G-73 will play a role still. He wouldn't be healing nor would he be given so much exposition in the first chapter, if it wasnt important.

We were introduced to the space pirates, led by Goichi. They wanted to use 73 to rule the universe. Which is parallel to what the Heeters want.

The Heeters want an army, and specifically the Frieza army. Problem is, the Frieza army lacks fighting power. The Saiyans, Ginyu Force and others are all gone.
If one of the Zuno question was about 73 or a army.
I imagine Elec already knows how to make or find the 0G-73 army with possibly Moros and Merus power. That, coupled with a power wish amp for Gas, and then copied to 73, could be like a Merged Zamasu's army problem

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:34 am

So the drafts are out. We havent' learned much new because it ends on the same page we've seen earlier this week, but it's okay :lol:
Gas and surprisingly Macki too are going out to fight Granolah/Goku/Vegeta while Elec is making his wish.

Strangely enough, the chapter's title is "Gas' Wish" despite Elec making it. So either he will work as a proxy and wish for what Gas wanted, or that title is about a Gas' personal wish, as in his revenge quest.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:20 am

Apparently Bardock is strong for a low class warrior, and did manage to beat Gas. That's not shown on panel, Monaito just confirms it happened.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:23 am

Jack Bz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:20 am Apparently Bardock is strong for a low class warrior, and did manage to beat Gas. That's not shown on panel, Monaito just confirms it happened.
Yeah...I would like to see how TF that managed to happen
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 pm

IIRC, Toriyama mentioned in a interview that Bardock is in the upper ranks as far as low class warriors go. But he is not able to become a mid class warrior

So yeah, I guess he must be strong for the standard of a low class Saiyan. We don't know the extent of this strength, but Gas doesn't look that impressive 40 years ago then

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:58 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:39 pm but Gas doesn't look that impressive 40 years ago then
And yet Monatio claimed he was extremely strong. I assume the interview is getting a retcon and Bardock will be powered up more than what we were told.

Best-case scenario would be Bardock using smarts and tactics to win against Gas who was stronger, but had less experience.

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:51 pm

The real question before this chapter is where is Bardock now.

If Bardock was mentioned in the flashback, it means that now is dead or alive, right?

1) If we follow the old OVA / manga extra-chapters:

- 1A: Bardock is dead with his around 10.000 PL and his existence erased (most probable fact but yet not 100% true);
- 1B: Bardock trained in the Afterlife for 40 years so he shall come back as Elec's wish. Considering that the only notable foe to spar can be only Cell, I doubt that with all Zenkais possible he will arrive at Gohan's actual PL. Moreover this hypothesis goes totally out because too reasoning (and out from author's mind).

2) If the last movie related to Bardock is canon:
- 2A: he's alive but too old and weak (and this can be really possible because in the spoiler panel Monaito says that Gas was really powerful, and not with PL about 7.000-10.000 but greater). In his SSJ form and decades, he could kill Frieza but maybe he avoided that event in order to don't trigger paradoxes;
- 2B: he's dead and erased;
- 2C: he's dead but present in the Afterlife and really strong (because he had a lot of time to became stronger while alive and dead).

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:15 pm

I have a bad feeling about all this focus on Burdack. Hopefully he just "won" with smarts him or maybe creating an artificial moon, or Gas was just "really strong" to Monaito standards.

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:01 am

It's possible that Bardock's strength is inline with his previous appearances, weaker than Gas, and yet beats him anyway. Some of the takeaway from the TOP was that raw power isn't everything, one could even argue it's also a lesson for us to learn in this arc.

As far as the wish goes, it certainly is hard to predict, which I would say is a good thing.
One wish that deals with the Sayians, Granolah, Freeza, and gives them the spot Freeza had in the universe circa Saiyan saga seems impossible given the drawbacks that come from a wish like Granolah's did. A wish for strength seems off the table, a wish for knowledge seems like a waste considering Zuno, a wish for an army is straightforward but what would the cost for that action really be (a sacrifice of the other Heaters?), a wish like immortality or invincibility seems off the table given the monkey paw situation.

I can honestly say the lack of knowledge of what the Dragon's limits are, and how far Elec is willing to go definitely makes me look forward to the next chapter.

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:46 am

kyppk wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:01 am
Some of the takeaway from the TOP was that raw power isn't everything, one could even argue it's also a lesson for us to learn in this arc.
If we consider only the manga in a official way, this discussion doesn't apply if not for Goku vs Jiren (even if the concept of UI has a lot of features to be discovered yet).

Gohan and Kurinin were much smarter than Rekoom but their experience and teamwork did not finish the job (and the PL difference was 13.000/15.000 VS 33.000 only).

In my honest opinion I dare to say that Gas maybe was around 9.000 and Bardock 7.000-8.000 (which in that era was quite impressive for standards). I'm really sure that another flashback is incoming and part of this question will be answered because Toyotaro will use the PL just for nostalgic people or for who loves numeric comparisons.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:14 am

I would not doubt we get powerlevel readings eventually but I just want to note Gas had a huge power-up. From losing to Bardock (somewhere below 10,000) to beating Granolah in about 40 years. Let's keep in mind Granolah was able to effectively blitz all the OG androids updated with 73's powers. 73 in his base form was able to catch Piccolo by surprise and outspeed him.

That's not really enough to do anything against current top tiers but I wouldn't be surprised if Gas can handle some mid Cell arc characters in his current strength.