Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 79 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 79 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm

Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 79

ガス VS グラノラ
Gasu VS Guranora
Gas vs. Granolla

-------------------------------

Release Information:

JAPAN:
Date: December 21, 2021
Publication: V-Jump, February 2022 Issue
Cost: ¥600

(V-Jump is forward-dated two months from its actual release window. Issues are released on the 21st of each month, barring a Sunday or a holiday, in which case the issue gets moved up a day appropriately.)

INTERNATIONAL:
Date: December 20, 2021 (timed to the JP midnight-on-December-21st release)
Publication: Digital (Viz/Shonen Jump + Manga Plus)
Cost: Free

FIRST OFFICIAL TEASE:
Similar to last month, the "Weekly Dragon Ball News" segment posted on the Dragon Ball Official Website on 13 December 2021 featured Victory Uchida (Shueisha employee/mascot, and editor for the Dragon Ball Super manga working alongside Toyotaro and Akira Toriyama) displaying a page/panel tease for the upcoming drafts on screen, which will (tentatively) be shared on December 14. The panel shows Vegeta crouching alongside Granolla saying "Hurry up" (早くしろ hayakushiro).

STORYBOARDS/DRAFTS:
The first several pages of any given chapter's roughs/storyboards/drafts have been posted on the official Dragon Ball website for quite some time now (in all likelihood done in an attempt to combat piracy and control the narrative by releasing teases of specific information and context at their own discretion). The drafts for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 79 were posted on December 14 (Japan time). As these specific articles are generally removed from the website upon the chapter's formal release, archived versions of these links (such as this) are generally shared by fandom.

-------------------------------

THREAD/DISCUSSION INFORMATION

This is the "official" discussion thread for Dragon Ball Super manga chapter 79. All content regarding this specific chapter would be great to include here in this thread, rather than the dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread. Posts that are specific to the individual chapter in the gigantic thread with no relevance to the larger series will be reported and/or removed.

Q: When will this thread open?

A: This thread will be opened by a Kanzenshuu moderator when the first official promotion of the respective chapter occurs. This may be when its storyboards are shared, or in some kind of formal news article leading up to that point. Please do not create a separate thread of your own to discuss this chapter.

Q: What is the history behind a [blank]-specific discussion thread?

A: We established episode-specific discussion threads beginning with Dragon Ball Kai in 2011, followed by the Dragon Ball Super television series in 2015. These episode-specific threads allowed people to discuss just that: those specific episodes, without being interrupted by other discussions regarding general production, promotion, etc. We didn't create corresponding Dragon Ball Super manga chapter threads at its debut due to the nature of its production: it was initially billed as a "comicalization" of the television series, and the first arc barely stood on its own as a unique production, rather than supplemental/incidental/disposable. We had kept the larger thread out of inertia from those earlier chapters, and have wavered for literal years over whether or not to separate them out.

Q: We've had worthwhile individual chapters since chapter five. This is absurd. Why are you just starting individual discussion threads something like six years into the manga, when the TV series had it from the start?

A: All of that is correct. Maybe we will go back and pull out threads for past chapters. Maybe we won't. We should have done this a long time ago. Better late than never. This is the plan for now on and is not currently up for discussion or reconsideration. Thank you.

Q: OK, but... so what's the point?

A: At Kanzenshuu we believe in history and preservation. It is worthwhile to future versions of ourselves and entirely new future fans to be able to dig back and find real-time reactions to specific productions (such as a specific episode or chapter). It's much easier to do this when the discussions are separated into these unique threads.

Q: When will new threads be created?

A: Threads for new/upcoming manga chapters will be created by a Kanzenshuu administrator at an appropriate point in time following the release of a previous chapter, and ahead of that next chapter's release schedule (which itself includes the official drafts/storyboards).

Q: OK, so what do you expect us to actually discuss in a chapter thread, particularly ahead of its release?

A: For some time now, Shueisha (in all likelihood to combat "leaks" and illegal piracy) has released "draft" pages of upcoming chapters in the two weeks leading up to any given chapter's release. These are official pieces of information dissemination and absolutely up for discussion. We welcome questions about where and how to legally and officially consume the manga. We do not condone nor allow the discussion or encouragement of piracy. Following a chapter's release, of course anything relating to that chapter and its contents are up for discussion in a specific thread.

Q: What kinds of "sources" can we discuss?

A: You can discuss whatever you want, so long as it lives up to the community guidelines. It is recommended that you link to / discuss actual sources of information, rather than second-hand accounts. Twitter and its users are not "sources" of information. Shueisha has its own official Dragon Ball website and weekly news broadcast on YouTube, which will in all likelihood be your actual primary sources of information leading up to a chapter's release.

Q: What if I have something to say about another chapter that's not this chapter?

A: Is what you have to say/ask/post even tangentially related to this chapter? That's fine. Does it have absolutely nothing to do with this chapter? Post it elsewhere. These chapter-specific threads do not automatically close after a new chapter comes out; you are free to keep discussing a specific chapter for as long as you all feel like talking about it.

Q: So what do we do with the big/main thread?

A: The dedicated / larger / all-encompassing ongoing thread is still perfect for overall/holistic discussion regarding the manga, its production, its promotion, its content relation to other parts of the franchise, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 79 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:29 am

The first official tease/promotion for the chapter has been released (see updated paragraph in the first post), and as such, this thread has been opened.

Please refer to the FAQ section above with regard to what can and should be posted within these individual, dedicated-chapter discussion threads. Thank you!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:31 am

Drafts are out. I'm happy Granolah is back to wearing Oatmeel again; I prefer his design this way. Seems to no one's surprise that Elec is scheming something else that has yet to be revealed.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:43 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:31 am Drafts are out. I'm happy Granolah is back to wearing Oatmeel again; I prefer his design this way. Seems to no one's surprise that Elec is scheming something else that has yet to be revealed.
Yeah, definitely pleased with that. He doesn't look bad alone, but without the eyepiece, it like something's missing to make him stand out.

I can't tell if it's a good or bad thing that with the last two arcs, it's been hard to gauge whether we're close to the finish line or not. The stage does feel set like it's rapidly heading to a climax after a long build-up, all the pieces feel like they're in place. Then I remember that the Moro arc had that, yet it just kept going and going. And going.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:38 am

Oatmeel represents Granolah's conscience. Granolah abandoned Oatmeel right before he hit his lowest point. Now they're back together, largely thanks to Vegeta and Goku. 👍🏼

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:21 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:43 pm I can't tell if it's a good or bad thing that with the last two arcs, it's been hard to gauge whether we're close to the finish line or not. The stage does feel set like it's rapidly heading to a climax after a long build-up, all the pieces feel like they're in place
Goku still hasn't even met Elec and that guy has like 8 answers from Zuno that are still unrevealed. I expect it will be a long cat and mouse game with him, and the arc will last until 2023.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:22 pm

This chapter can't come fast enough

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:43 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:21 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:43 pm I can't tell if it's a good or bad thing that with the last two arcs, it's been hard to gauge whether we're close to the finish line or not. The stage does feel set like it's rapidly heading to a climax after a long build-up, all the pieces feel like they're in place
Goku still hasn't even met Elec and that guy has like 8 answers from Zuno that are still unrevealed. I expect it will be a long cat and mouse game with him, and the arc will last until 2023.
Well, Gon never met Meruem so who knows :P

Elec's questions might be one of the last mysteries remaining, probably second only to Freeza's whereabouts, but I don't think either of these things should take that long to explain when they do become relevant again.

Bro, I sure as hell hope it doesn't take till 2023. Another half year at absolute most. As much as I'm liking this arc so far, I don't want it to overstay its welcome, especially since T&T say they have plenty of other arc ideas in store. I like tuning in every month, but I do want the Super manga to finish with some grace one day, not spin its wheels on huge 2-year-long arcs every time. :yawn:

Well, according to some more cynical than myself, Dragon Ball Super has been doing nothing but spinning its wheels from day 1, but let's not get into that, lol
Oatmeel represents Granolah's conscience. Granolah abandoned Oatmeel right before he hit his lowest point. Now they're back together, largely thanks to Vegeta and Goku. 👍🏼
I still love that Fight Club theory of yours, but I like that it's still relevant in a more metaphorical sense like you say.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:58 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:43 pm
I still love that Fight Club theory of yours, but I like that it's still relevant in a more metaphorical sense like you say.
Well it was always a crackpot theory, but thanks :lol:. Oatmeel is Granolah's conscience similarly to how Jiminy Cricket is Pinocchio's.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:12 pm

I too feel (and hope) that the arc has about half a year left. I like it, but unless Elec (or Frieza, maybe) pulls a "now you fight ME!" then I don't think there's much left.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:50 pm

I already made a bigger post in the main thread that touched on this, but I'm with Xeogran on this one, there's still plenty of things to do in the arc and it's looking like it'll last for a long time still. Granolah vs Gas has zero finality to it, too. If the arc ends in just a few chapters, and taking the fact that Granolah vs Gas is only just starting now into account, then what did it achieve? And I don't mean that literally (because you could say "Granolah and Gas achieved super strength and Vegeta achieved Ultra Ego" to answer it literally), I mean what kind of narrative would the story have managed to tell?

It's probably also a good idea to bring up that when the arc was just beginning, there was a statement about the rest of the crew (Gohan, Piccolo etc.) getting involved at some point as well. The story isn't in a position to make that happen at all right now, it has to develop more first, and having only half a year's worth of chapters would mean that all Toyotaro would have time to do is to add in a single panel where they go "don't skip us wtf". I believe the arc can end without Frieza ever showing up, as they never actually set that in stone, but I think it's too pre-written and inflexible for this statement to just be ignored.

This chapter should give us a decent pointer to what's going to happen next, in any case. Judging from the drafts, I don't think we're rushing to the end of the arc here, but we'll see.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:46 am

Alruneia wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:50 pm I already made a bigger post in the main thread that touched on this, but I'm with Xeogran on this one, there's still plenty of things to do in the arc and it's looking like it'll last for a long time still. Granolah vs Gas has zero finality to it, too. If the arc ends in just a few chapters, and taking the fact that Granolah vs Gas is only just starting now into account, then what did it achieve? And I don't mean that literally (because you could say "Granolah and Gas achieved super strength and Vegeta achieved Ultra Ego" to answer it literally), I mean what kind of narrative would the story have managed to tell?

It's probably also a good idea to bring up that when the arc was just beginning, there was a statement about the rest of the crew (Gohan, Piccolo etc.) getting involved at some point as well. The story isn't in a position to make that happen at all right now, it has to develop more first, and having only half a year's worth of chapters would mean that all Toyotaro would have time to do is to add in a single panel where they go "don't skip us wtf". I believe the arc can end without Frieza ever showing up, as they never actually set that in stone, but I think it's too pre-written and inflexible for this statement to just be ignored.

This chapter should give us a decent pointer to what's going to happen next, in any case. Judging from the drafts, I don't think we're rushing to the end of the arc here, but we'll see.
I'm betting we have at least until the release of Super Hero. Maybe even past that for this arc.

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:58 am

Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 79 full summary that I can share with you.
Enjoy it!!

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:22 am

redon wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:58 am Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 79 full summary that I can share with you.
Enjoy it!!
Thanks redon, amazing work as always! The way you summarized it, it was simple to visualize and follow.

dbmm

Post by dbmm » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:04 am

Wonderful!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
redon wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:58 am Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 79 full summary that I can share with you.
Enjoy it!!

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:30 pm

Tons of Images from DBS Hype. Whole Chapter is Granolah vs Gas.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:11 pm

I guess I'll have more to say about Granolah vs. Gas when the chapter comes out properly, but I wonder what Elec's 'back-pocket' plot is (since it was referenced in the drafts).

Some extra wish on the Dragon Balls seems a fair guess, but it's an open question as to what that might be. Perhaps for a short-term play, wishing Granolah to be the strongest again might work? Things have been amped so high by the Dragon Balls already, another such wish would be liable to kill him instantly.

Or, for a riskier, longer play (and if he considers Gas can handle Granolah alone), the same wish, but with Freeza as the recipient? That might not kill him immediately (in fact, it's probably better if it doesn't, given Elec's reservations earlier in the arc), but could set the fuse for moving into his position in a natural short-term transition, which is the Heeters' ultimate goal.

The Heeters have been a lot of fun in the arc so far; I hope there's scope for them to continue their shenanigans in stories beyond its climax (which is apparently sooner than most of us had guessed).

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:04 pm

I like the details of the fight, but am not sure how I feel about what are essentially two "create-a fighters" having such a long and drawn out bout taking up so much page count. I'll wait to see the chapter art before I make any judgments.

Thanks again to redon for the synopsis!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:27 am

Hooooly crap that is such a good fight. I like how the unfamiliarity with his techniques is brought back again, but with Gas this time. The way the fight played out was honestly so satisfying: the blows, the techniques, the reactions...Toyotarou has come a LOOOOONG way.
Gas it still feels hollow, though. Yeah, he had his "I wanted to beat you with my own powers" schtick but that is a tad generic at this point IMO.
There isn't too much in terms of plot, so I guess we have to wait another month for that to come in.

But I am left with two questions:
Why didn't the tree Gas hit against fall down? Granolah's punch should have exerted A LOT of force.
Also, at page 39, did Granolah kick Gas in the fucking dick?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:37 am

Ya i hope this story ends fast. when moves like IT and hakai can just be wished by a non super dragon ball dragon, it cheapens the entire damn series and it really did.

what a horrible story and what a F U to the past of the series