Kai Episode 16 (19 July 2009)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:08 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:As for the fans being upset about the wide-screen, we have every right to be pissed that after years of supporting the show, we're provided with a flawed product. No just a flawed product, but a knowingly flawed product, meant to pander to people obsessed with "cinematic" style. The show was animated to be shown in 4:3; any other portrayal of the show is flawed, unnecessary, and ultimately insulting.
To be honest I never understood that "cinematic" thing. 16:9 doesn't really look very cinematic to me. Luckily no one is stupid enough to crop a 4:3 show into 21:9

Anyway back on topic. I noticed the redrawn scenes were indeed much much better :D

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:42 pm

What's FNS day?

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:43 pm

Coola Yagami wrote:What's FNS day?
This.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:34 am

Coola Yagami wrote:What's FNS day?
It just means that Fuji TV will be covering an annual event in Japan. It can be anything, but in this case it is a "Super Smiling Faces Parade" at the amusement park Odaiba.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Rod wrote:
KaiserNeko wrote:As for the fans being upset about the wide-screen, we have every right to be pissed that after years of supporting the show, we're provided with a flawed product. No just a flawed product, but a knowingly flawed product, meant to pander to people obsessed with "cinematic" style. The show was animated to be shown in 4:3; any other portrayal of the show is flawed, unnecessary, and ultimately insulting.
To be honest I never understood that "cinematic" thing. 16:9 doesn't really look very cinematic to me. Luckily no one is stupid enough to crop a 4:3 show into 21:9

Anyway back on topic. I noticed the redrawn scenes were indeed much much better :D
True that. I never really cared for 16:9. I much rather have the full picture. Even if it's a widescreen movie I still change the aspect ratio to 4:3. :o Yeah, I don't get what all the hype over widescreen is.
Aka gtadbzman.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Budokai23 wrote:True that. I never really cared for 16:9. I much rather have the full picture. Even if it's a widescreen movie I still change the aspect ratio to 4:3. :o Yeah, I don't get what all the hype over widescreen is.
Uh, well, that's different. Wide-screen movies should be shown in wide-screen. Otherwise, you're losing actual video, the movie is being misrepresented from the director's original intentions, and most TVs now support the wide-screen video ratio to begin with.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:26 pm

Personally, the more video I see, the happier I am. So I love that the movies are in 4:3, I don't give a damn what the director aimed for in 1990, or how it was intended. I enjoy the full footage.

And as thus, I'm not a fan of the show being cropped. But I can't say it's a big bother to me. It seems to make more sense now that FUNimation cropped their Season boxsets, it's something to differentiate between the Dragonbox. On the slim chance they got the Dragonbox in the end, they cropped their masters, rather than risk having 2 almost identical boxsets, but one just having better quality.

Aaaanyway, onto the topic of the episode before we wank ourselves dry with what video quality we prefer, this episode was great. The music was a lot better placed and I really got sunk into this episode. Retouched animation looked great, acting was superb, very well paced episode.
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:07 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:
Budokai23 wrote:True that. I never really cared for 16:9. I much rather have the full picture. Even if it's a widescreen movie I still change the aspect ratio to 4:3. :o Yeah, I don't get what all the hype over widescreen is.
Uh, well, that's different. Wide-screen movies should be shown in wide-screen. Otherwise, you're losing actual video, the movie is being misrepresented from the director's original intentions, and most TVs now support the wide-screen video ratio to begin with.
I realize this. Just something about black bars bother me.
Aka gtadbzman.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:27 pm

I did enjoy this episode. Even the original was one of my favorites, pretty good animation :D

I also liked rainbow Vegeta :lol:

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:51 am

It looks like the next issue of V-Jump is going to be another Kai-themed one. Hopefully we'll get another nice featurette!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:54 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:It looks like the next issue of V-Jump is going to be another Kai-themed one. Hopefully we'll get another nice featurette!

*drool* If that was made for the poster, I'm so SOLD

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:59 am

Sorry about the original image, it really got a bad shot of the cover. Here's a better version:

I hope the Gashapon they mention actually comes with the issue, but I'm not sure if they've ever done that. Will probably end up being a order-only thing with a special coupon.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:06 am

Gosh, I really hope Toei will give out that poster whoever order Kai Boxset! :D

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:51 am

Yipee! End of Saiyajin Arc..... I was watching it live via KeyHole, but writing on board long time after that..... I was little dissapointed, that Goku will forgive Vegeta in next episode, but since the Saiyajin Saga ended (Or will ended at beginning of the next episode), I'm so much excited and curious about Namek Arc...... All that fights, the most cruel villain in the series and arch-nemesis of Saiyans and finally Super Saiyajin! I'm curious how it will look in Kai and hope that we'll get ton of new background music.
But I think that they will never succed as the original japanese first transformation, because of that horrible animal scream that I doubt it was Nozawa)))
And next point is, that I was annoyed of Saiyajin arc since my childhood, now I'm adult and looking on things by different look, so I'm enjoying Saiyajin saga, but most like the Namek Arc.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:26 pm

I hope that they don't keep in pointless filler during the Namek arc like they during the early Saiyan arc. Although I
think that was just them learning how to do things, and hopefully we won't be seeing as much manga material
being excluded this time.

This is an opportunity for greatness here!

EDIT: Stretched page is stretched.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:34 am

That was...a really odd place for the episode to finish. Was anyone else expecting it to end with the pod taking off, rather than Kuririn holding the sword to Vegeta? The Saiya-jin arc is over either way, but it just...struck me as odd, I guess.

Senzu_Bean
I Live Here

Post by Senzu_Bean » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:54 am

Char Aznable wrote:That was...a really odd place for the episode to finish. Was anyone else expecting it to end with the pod taking off, rather than Kuririn holding the sword to Vegeta?
I was. And think it is a better ending for the episode (Kai's ending).

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:52 am

Wow. From 35 episodes to 16 1/2 episodes...

I have high hopes for the next arc :lol:
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:18 am

Senzu_Bean wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:That was...a really odd place for the episode to finish. Was anyone else expecting it to end with the pod taking off, rather than Kuririn holding the sword to Vegeta?
I was. And think it is a better ending for the episode (Kai's ending).
Let's say they keep the drama better by doing it this way.

Budokai23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Budokai23 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:50 pm

I still don't think they'll be able to squeeze in 100 episodes even though there gona be taking out Garlic Junior and The Other World tournament sagas. It'll probably be more like 130-150 episodes.
Aka gtadbzman.