Kai Episode 88 (09 January 2011)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RazorX
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Kai Episode 88 (09 January 2011)

Post by RazorX » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:35 pm

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 88. Originally broadcast 09 January 2011

決戦!セル対孫悟空
Kessen! Seru Tai Son Gokū
Decisive Battle! Cell vs Son Goku

---------------------------------------

This episode has one of the best musical arrangements. With "The Braveheart Challenges the Stong" followed by "The Ebb and the Flow" and then the phenomenal "One Hit to Victory." The second part has "A moment for shuddering" followed by an an astounding musical piece which was not heard since Goku's Kaioken against Ginyu and then the episode after that. I've been wanting to hear it in recent episodes for a while. After that we get another really good piece introduced in the Trunks saga, followed by the astounding "Heroic Face off." Episodes ends with "Formidable Warrior, the Saiyan."

To hear Braveheart Challenges the Strong, Ebb and the Flow, One Hit to Victory, Goku's Kaioken Theme, Heroic Face Off and Formidable Warrior Saiyan all in one episode felt amazing. It almost feels like Toei Animation knew what my favourites were and packed most of them into this episode.

Hopefully we'll get to hear more of the said Kaioken theme in future episodes, it needs to be played more.

Last edited by RazorX on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Kai Episode 88 (9th January 2011)

Post by dan2026 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Good episode.
Covered chapters 397, 398 and 399.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:43 pm

This week on Dragon Ball Kai...!! Son Gokû and Cell face off, can their explosively awesome powers clashing! What is it about Son Gokû that has him so confident? The episode closes with Cell unleashing a Kamehame-Ha that could destroy the Earth, so Gokû leaps into the air and teleports away. Cell proves, however, that even without Shunkan-idô he's a pretty fast guy.

Dragon Ball covered: chapter #397-399
Dragon Ball Z covered: episode #177-178

And the big fight has begun. I was quite pleased with Wakamoto this week. He got in two really strong screams (a power up after Gokû shifts into high gear and his Kamehame-Ha near the end of the episode). Hell, we even went an entire fight episode without hearing Formidable Warrior, the Saiyan. #177 was a Hattori Ichirô episode while #178 was a Uchiyama Masayuki episode. None the less the animation was pretty good and Uchiyama's episode didn't have as many horrible looking shots as is his usual in the Artificial Humans arc. Next week is Masunaga Keisuke. Judging by the preview I think they're just going to cover #179. Masunaga's the best animator during this arc, though, so I'm glad to get as much of him as possible.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:17 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Judging by the preview I think they're just going to cover #179. Masunaga's the best animator during this arc, though, so I'm glad to get as much of him as possible.
Personally I'd say its more likely that they'll cover 179 and 180, ending the episode with Goku giving up.
They've been pretty keen on the 2:1 pace.

spikevegeta

Post by spikevegeta » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Judging from 89's preview, They're going to cover at least 5 minutes into DBZ 180. That would be when Goku/Cell start back up after the Warp Kamehameha. So next week it looks like we're gonna get through Chapter 400/401 of the Manga.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:47 pm

Piccolo saying Goku's "Ossu!" in the preview. XD What was he bantering with Vegeta about? Ah well, I guess I'll find out soon enough.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:27 am

Ahw maaaan, they used again "One hit to victory". :?

Ashy-kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashy-kun » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:Piccolo saying Goku's "Ossu!" in the preview. XD What was he bantering with Vegeta about? Ah well, I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Hmm... From what I hear... Piccolo is impressed with Gokuu and Cell and their strength, and Vegeeta's boasting how he's better and they bicker about stuff to do with that.
Your freelance, amateur translator, with over a year's worth of self-taught experience. Once an honorary member of Team Kinniku, and a man with his work shown in various places here and there. If you have a song you'd like me to look over, I'll happily look it over and see if I can translate it for you.

Most Recent Song Added to Ashy-kun's Song Translation Topic: Yoake no Kodomo-tachi (Translated: The Children of the Dawn)

AoiKageNoChikara
Beyond Newbie

Post by AoiKageNoChikara » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:21 pm

I couldn't pretty much stand the first part of the fight in Z it's actually pretty good in Kai Faster, better music ahhhh They used pretty much all my favorite music of the series plus a remix of "The Braveheart Challenges The Strong"
Ahw maaaan, they used again "One hit to victory".
Are you not happy about it? it's hard to get more epic :lol: but I just hope They don't overused, then again I don't care how many times they played it's like The Best Of all The Franchise :mrgreen:

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:17 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Hell, we even went an entire fight episode without hearing Formidable Warrior, the Saiyan.
Actually it was used at the very end of the episode where Cell displays his speed.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:19 pm

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:
JulieYBM wrote: Hell, we even went an entire fight episode without hearing Formidable Warrior, the Saiyan.
Actually it was used at the very end of the episode where Cell displays his speed.
Damn it, I meant to write 'almost' in there. >_<

But yeah, I remember groaning at the end of the episode because I had been saying up until then "It's not going to happen!!"
She/Her
bisexual milf

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:09 pm

:lol: Piccolo said "O.. ossu. O.. ore Piccolo. Uhhum..."
Also, Vegeta's comment on Mr.Satan was really out of character (I know it's in the manga). The look on Vegeta's face is what makes it out of character.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:19 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote::lol: Piccolo said "O.. ossu. O.. ore Piccolo. Uhhum..."
Also, Vegeta's comment on Mr.Satan was really out of character (I know it's in the manga). The look on Vegeta's face is what makes it out of character.
Is it really, though? Seems like an appropriate reaction for Vegeta now that's he's become a little more accustomed to Earth.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

MetalMadness
Beyond Newbie

Post by MetalMadness » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:42 am

I always loved the dub line for that particular scene:

"That ridiculous man hasn't realized his weakness! His.. stupidity is beyond belief!"

This was a great episode though I wish they could have cut out some of Satan and friend's commentary, and they should have cut Cell's multi-form and Kienzan as well, those weren't in the manga IIRC

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:24 pm

Oh, Hattori:

I can't believe whoever was editing this episode thought "Hey, let's keep this shot from episode #178!" >_<
She/Her
bisexual milf

PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PuppetDoctor » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:32 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Oh, Hattori:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/ ... enshot.jpg

I can't believe whoever was editing this episode thought "Hey, let's keep this shot from episode #178!" >_<
Oh dear, part of Trunk's forehead is purple. This is a hilarious shot.

As for the episode itself I found it kind of boring. I've just never been a big fan of the Goku vs. Perfect Cell fight.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:52 pm

Man, that's such a bad shot, I would think for sure that would be cut. Or at least fixed up. Maybe since there is a possibility of production of the show shutting down anyway, they feel like they're working on a sinking ship anyway?

KKZ
Beyond Newbie

Post by KKZ » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:09 am

Wow, looks like Toei got their hands on a copy of Vector Magic! Too bad they didn't configure the settings correctly...
[quote="temujin"]Krillin,the guy is just a ridiculous midget without nose.Seriously, he looks like some kind of bizarre monster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krillin's head is also pretty big like a balloon. :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote][quote="Thanos"]Eh... it gets kinda old hearing elitists say things like "IT SHOULD HAVE ENDED WHEN GOKU MET BULMA"[/quote]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:09 am

That is a hilariously bad shot. XD

Hard to believe that's from the same arc that brings the absolutely beautiful animation that goes on during that episode of the Gohan vs Cell beam struggle. (I realize they're done by two completely different animation teams.)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Turtle Marked Stone
Regular

Post by Turtle Marked Stone » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 am

Is that the shot where not only do they hold on it for a very long time they actually zoom in on it? That sort of style is fine if you're doing a quick couple second "these dudes are far away" thing but anything else is pushing it.