Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Torturephile
Regular

Re: Super Episode 103 (13 August 2017)

Post by Torturephile » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Gohan was staring at it like, "Damn. That sucks...oh well, let's go Mr. Piccolo." Gohan's battle against Tournament Contestant #34 was a good opportunity to create a connection with said character that could have made all of this so much more impacting. In any other anime, this would have been the cue for Talk No Jutsu to be used against Zeno, or at least yell "Noooo!!!".
While I agree that U11's erasure was underwhelming and preferred U9's, Gohan can't just start crying and drown in sorrow over Obuni when he has better things to do, like standing around in the seemingly empty arena. Can't expect Super to be Super with if it had overly complex and well-thought out drama.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:32 pm

The locket scene at the end was heartbreaking. Someone like innocent and soft hearted like Gohan having to fight in this tournament is unfair. Dude won't be sleeping right for a long time.

Rhuagh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rhuagh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:37 pm

That was a good episode, those are rare.

The fight with Botamo was poorly animated and choreographed, but the rest was good with one or two highlights. I liked how Gohan was written, if anyone is supposed to show emotion, it's him. Weird how Goku is so cold though, he knew Gowasu. 17 acted much more according to his characters than in previous episodes when he was basically a zombie, that's great.

Everyone expected Universe 10 to be weak, Zamasu had never met a mortal stronger than Kaioshin after all, but it's disappointing how Universe 2 is shaping up to be fodder as well. All that promotion for the Kamikaze Fireballs and they are scared of fighting Base Goku and Android 17.

RIP Gowasu, the Dragon World does not deserve you.

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 pm

In honor of Gowasu.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 pm

First part was boring, though it is fun that Ribrianne calls him Jimmies-sama.

Obni was pretty cool, should have an entire episode at least.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:39 pm

An ok yet underwhelming/rushed episode [spoiler]
    #17 is having too much fun,him pretending to be villain is just engaging to see but his scuffle with brianne is flat.i also didn't like the battle between rozie vs goku,but damn it got really good when goku start outsmarting her and I liked he analyzed rozie like with #17 vs kakunsa but I felt this fight kinda dragged,I would have prefer if the focus was mainly on gohan vs u10
      Speaking of gohan,his fight with botamo was flat and dull,what a lame strategy, their fight should have lasted 30 second with gohan pulling a vegeta
        I really like obuni,he is not jerk,his gimmick was cool and he has a family,I just wish the recruitment phase focus on him and his fight should have been longer
          piccolo vs rubalt was average ,I liked hellzone grenade but I didn't like how piccolo dispatch him quickly through he was struggling with him in the beginning, which is why I think this episode should have focus only on gohan and piccolo vs u10
            Gohan vs obuni is a great fight ,this time gohan come up with an actual strategy.i also liked gowas and cus showing concern for their fighter and damn when gowasu and rummosh died,it was pretty sad to see cus reaction
              This episode was weaker compared to last week probably because that episode had a focus and it didn't felt rushed[/spoiler]
              Last edited by The gr on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
              Mostly active on discord.

precita
              Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 pm

I don't see why people feel Piccolo's fight was rushed. It was the perfect length actually, seeing Piccolo finally get his first win taking out another fighter who wasn't the main draw of the episode. This isn't DBZ where fights have to go on for multiple eps.

Cetra
              I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:41 pm

Did anyone else feel sorry for Botamo when he looked down the ground and apologized to Champa? Never cared for that guy before.
              "Citation needed."
              "too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

perucho1990
              I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Rhuagh wrote:That was a good episode, those are rare.

The fight with Botamo was poorly animated and choreographed, but the rest was good with one or two highlights. I liked how Gohan was written, if anyone is supposed to show emotion, it's him. Weird how Goku is so cold though, he knew Gowasu. 17 acted much more according to his characters than in previous episodes when he was basically a zombie, that's great.

Everyone expected Universe 10 to be weak, Zamasu had never met a mortal stronger than Kaioshin after all, but it's disappointing how Universe 2 is shaping up to be fodder as well. All that promotion for the Kamikaze Fireballs and they are scared of fighting Base Goku and Android 17.

RIP Gowasu, the Dragon World does not deserve you.
              Helles said that the kamikaze fireball normal strength was not enough(She knew they were weak), but they only had the highest power of love in all multiverse.

I could see Brianne getting a powerup related to the power of love that puts her on Blue level(at most Toppo level).

Jimizu redeemed himself by eliminating someone, hey look another non U6/U7 guy eliminating people :thumbup:

Yomi
              Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:46 pm

I for one prefer Dragon Ball's more subtle take on morals. The gods are very gray characters, and nobody's really spewing any nonsensical speeches about the value of comrades, or how killing people is wrong, etc. etc. There are hints sprinkled in, like the pendant. There are no words, no tactless spoon feeding dialogue about pendant, no tears. Gohan is taken aback for a few seconds; but remains his composure, which is what you would expect from someone of his history in mortal danger.

The first half of the episode was a total snorefest, which seems to be a running trait of these recent episodes. The second half was really good. Tate and Sumitomo were complimenting each other really well. The erasure of universe 10 was very anticlimactic and underwhelming. Gowasu is a favorite character in this series' fandom, and was the backbone of the previous arc. Yet we get recycled animation and nobody freaking out. Gowasu I understand, he's a very fate driven guy, but Rumoosh was very emotionally invested.
              :clap:

Rhuagh
              Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rhuagh » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:48 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Helles said that the kamikaze fireball normal strength was not enough(She knew they were weak), but they only had the highest power of love in all multiverse.

I could see Brianne getting a powerup related to the power of love that puts her on Blue level(at most Toppo level).

Jimizu redeemed himself by eliminating someone, hey look another non U6/U7 guy eliminating people :thumbup:
              Oh yeah, always good to see someone else scoring a point. Brianne is defilitely a cut above the other two Fireballs. From the others, I hope Zarbuto is worth something, only because I like his design and he looks like someone from Toppo's species.

The gr
              I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Cetra wrote:Did anyone else feel sorry for Botamo when he looked down the ground and apologized to Champa? Never cared for that guy before.
              In the Champa he is the first one to lose and now he is the first one to be eleminated in team u6,so that's the reason why I feel sorry for botamo
                Jimizu was cool sigh he eleminated the key player,here my thought on that magazine viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30157&p=1363071#p1363071. The recycled animation was bad , those reaction shot made me though that I was watching ep 102,it made the first half of this episode a snoozefest.
                Last edited by The gr on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
                Mostly active on discord.

precita
                Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:50 pm

I'm kinda surprised they didn't have Goku knock out the other girl fighter, having her stick around seems a bit redundant. I don't feel the need to see her fighting again.

perucho1990
                I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:51 pm

Rhuagh wrote:
                Oh yeah, always good to see someone else scoring a point. Brianne is defilitely a cut above the other two Fireballs. From the others, I hope Zarbuto is worth something, only because I like his design and he looks like someone from Toppo's species.
                Toshio said to watch out for him.

I hope Zirloin(Thanos guy) gets to perform at least as good as Obni did tonight.

Ashkun

RIP Obuni

Post by Ashkun » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:53 pm

Bye Obuni, you were my new favorite dude. :(
                He and Gohan would have been solid buds

It wouldn't work with the plot or Gohan general smart characteristic.
                But it would of been cool at the moment when Obuni and universe 10 were erased, Gohan just blows up in a rage "Why Does everything have to be erased!" and goes after the omnikings, beats the guards, the priest appears and Gohan then gets a hit on the priest and then the GP counters and sends Gohan flying through the stage.

Overall I enjoyed this episode more then previous weeks!

Tombstone1988
                Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Things I Liked:

-As with last week, I find 17 to be one of the best parts of the episode.
                -The Yardrat actually felt properly utilized this episode, unlike in episode 100. He even got a KO!
                -Obuni had an interesting ability, and his fight with Gohan was pretty good, albeit a bit short.
                -That moment of silent characterization for Gohan was good, and I liked that soft sadness from the Universe 10 angel.

Things I'm Mixed On:

-I'm getting real tired of the Goku "dropping his guard" gag. At least this week, to their credit, they gave a plausible excuse of Goku learning his opponent's fighting style.
                -I liked the fight between 17/Goku and the Kamikaze Fireballs, but the Yardrat bailing them out made the sequence seem kind of pointless.
                -So, I feel I need to be very clear on this point. The animation (the movement of frames) in this episode was good. However, the images themselves (particularly faces) were... less so. When Piccolo used his Hellzone Grenade, his face looked really bizarre to me. And Obuni's child? I feel like one of the animators had his kid make that with MS Paint and stuck it in there.

Things I Disliked:

-The entire Gohan vs. Botamo fight. What a dull, nothing segment. I honestly think it might be the worst fight scene in the tournament thus far.
                -I really hope Universe 2 is the next universe to get wiped out because I am sick of Helles and her two poses.
                -Piccolo's fight felt really rushed; I guess that Botamo fight was just too important. :roll:
                -As Doctor mentioned, we are 6 episodes in and still have a lack of focus in this tournament. I'm hoping the fact that we're only 11 minutes into the tournament is a good sign rather than a portent.

Overall, I'd say the first half of this episode was dull and stretched out with some good moments from 17 while the second half was good but rushed and occasionally had bad stills. This episode really could have done without the pointless Botamo fight, instead focusing more on Gohan and Piccolo engaging the Universe 10 fighters. As for the episode preview, well, all I can say is I hope we get at least a decent reason for SSG.
                "If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
                (Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Torturephile
                Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:01 am

Tombstone1988 wrote:And Obuni's child? I feel like one of the animators had his kid make that with MS Paint and stuck it in there.
                From Super episode 113 thread:
                MaskedRider wrote:
                Torturephile wrote:
                hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
                namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
                The fandom in a nutshell.
                The duality of man.

IntangibleFancy
                Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:03 am

Why did they have to take Gowasu? I just hope Quitela becomes next.
                Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

perucho1990
                I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:03 am

Obuni was just like Gohan.

RIP to the coolest guy in Universe 10.

lord turbo
                Beyond Newbie

Post by lord turbo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:04 am

precita wrote:I don't see why people feel Piccolo's fight was rushed. It was the perfect length actually, seeing Piccolo finally get his first win taking out another fighter who wasn't the main draw of the episode. This isn't DBZ where fights have to go on for multiple eps.
                Probably because Piccolo got his ass beat silly only to use hellzone grenade and call it day like it was no big deal. Its was basically a "What, really?! Thanks for wasting our time" kind of deal. It would be no different than Tenshinhan getting wrecked silly only to use Kikoho and tell Roshi lets get going, we got work to due by standing still in that empty vacant corner in this seemingly empty arena off camera until the plot calls for us. Its not so much people are looking for long drawn out fights, but the fights we've been getting so far are really lack luster and lack effort to them, most of them are of the Meh/Whatever variety.