Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scarlet Spider
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super Episode 109-110 (8 October 2017)

Post by Scarlet Spider » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Really great episode. Felt like a kid again.

As someone who loves SS2 most, it is nice Super treats it as the most efficient before accessing God Ki. I remember friends of mine being upset with SS3 being skipped, but it's just to inefficient to use. Especially in a survival tournament.

t0ffe3m4n
Beyond Newbie

Post by t0ffe3m4n » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:26 pm

Did anyone else get Super Saiyan 4 vibes from the Limit Breaker form?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:30 pm

A little late to comment, but these episodes were probably the best of the tournament thus far. I’d say they were worth the hype. Powered-up Goku’s fight with Jiren was downright exhilarating.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Potanical Pardon wrote:I think Vegeta not donating his energy is totally within character.

It's a combination of things. His pride and both he and Goku with their pure Saiyan blood dislike assistance or not earning their way into something...though they both have at times with great reluctance. Plus, given the nature of the TOP, Vegeta wants to preserve his energy for himself. He was all for the Genkidama with Buu because he knew he had nothing left to offer besides that.

I still don't like this scene and think it was completely unnecessary but if they were going to do it at least show us Vegeta's thought process. Don't just make us assume
things. Because he does come off like an unnecesssry jerk here (and having Freeza give off the energy is even worse)

But besides this scene the rest of the special he is fine

* He protects Goku from Ribrianne
* He encourages Goku to push back the Spirit Bomb (this is a scene that was cut from the streaming sites)
* He asks Goku to explain what happened because of course Vegeta would be curious but he also is about to tell him to get some rest before Freeza takes him away.

So Vegeta isn't a complete jerk the entire special as some people are implying but him not giving his energy is still a completely unnecessary scene and not a good one for his character.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Cipher wrote:Do people hate Ribrianne because they're embarrassed to admit they're watching a show with Ribrianne in it?

Because Ribrianne wouldn't even crack the top five for me in terms of embarrassing things in Dragon Ball, and her fight and comedy beats this episode were solid.

Some fragile sense of masculinity here.
Nah people have just gotten tired of her "Love this", "Love that" and "blah blah maiden" shtick, it's gotten old and boring super quick.

Also take your "fragile masculinity" nonsense back to your Tumblr page and keep it there please.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:48 pm

avasatu wrote: I saw that too, but it makes no sense to me. How does only half of the picture come under the influence of the color swap, unless somewhat did it deliberately to confuse the fan base? And why shouldn't Goku be able to go SS off of this?
A lot of products in Japan have that pinkish monochrome color scheme to save on printing costs, whether it's tankobon undercovers or candy packaging. The fabled Super Saiyan Chocolate is no different.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
avasatu wrote: I saw that too, but it makes no sense to me. How does only half of the picture come under the influence of the color swap, unless somewhat did it deliberately to confuse the fan base? And why shouldn't Goku be able to go SS off of this?
A lot of products in Japan have that pinkish monochrome color scheme to save on printing costs, whether it's tankobon undercovers or candy packaging. The fabled Super Saiyan Chocolate is no different.
Ah, was it you that first made the comment pointing that out? Because I've been clinging to that as the explanation for the longest time.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:53 pm

You both may be correct, but I see no reason why Goku can't go SS on top of this. I DO see why he couldn't go beyond that, though.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:
Yup and here's a recent example of this from the eyecatch:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler] doesn't really mean anything.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:54 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Ah, was it you that first made the comment pointing that out? Because I've been clinging to that as the explanation for the longest time.
I made the comment in the strength thread, but there have been a few others who pointed it out as well.

In my case, it's mainly due to my own experience with importing Japanese merchandise in addition to the fact that Goku's undershirt wasn't blue.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Scarlet Spider wrote:I remember friends of mine being upset with SS3 being skipped, but it's just to inefficient to use. Especially in a survival tournament.
True, but given Goku would have only used it for a matter of seconds before going into SSG I don't think it would be that big of a deal. Isn't it the act of being in the form that causes the stamina to drain, not instead upon activation?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:07 pm

Pretty much every reaction I've seen of this, people can't stand Ribrianne.

I don't like her either but she seems to be really hated. Probably more so than any other Super character so far.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:14 pm

Bullza wrote:Pretty much every reaction I've seen of this, people can't stand Ribrianne.

I don't like her either but she seems to be really hated. Probably more so than any other Super character so far.
I didn't mind her gimmick at first but whenever she's on screen she eats up a ton of time while accomplishing absolutely nothing of note.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Bullza wrote:Pretty much every reaction I've seen of this, people can't stand Ribrianne.

In Every Reaction?! Yea, No that is not the case with a bunch I have read on this Thread Alone. ;)

the so called hate is really just passable in just not liking a character and others have gotten equal in this sadly. When we get to the next episodes when Caulifla and Kale are on screen it will be sadly the same result and Jiren seems be sadly been gaining dislike too. The next few weeks sadly it will be a Caulifla and Kale dislike feast like it always ends-up being cause they will be the a center-point in those episodes.

I just seems par for the course with new characters fans take time with new characters. But Also more important, don't discount US, Ribrianne's Fans, for everyone of those posts their is ours as well in one form or another. ;)

Their are also more I have meet other places outside of here, we are a growing Fanbase. :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

amuroray
Not-So-Newbie

Post by amuroray » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:43 pm

Just got done watching the episode.

Great stuff,really well done. By far and away the best episode in dragonball super and one of the best episodes in DB ever. Goku will always be my favourite character because of episodes like today. The animation was class and for the first time since namek, this had a big fight feel.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:46 pm

t0ffe3m4n wrote:Did anyone else get Super Saiyan 4 vibes from the Limit Breaker form?
Well, besides the black hair and similar pupils, both forms show Goku very calm at first.
Kunzait_83 wrote:For further elaboration:

[spoiler]As a fascinating sidenote, the most likely mythological source for the commonly depicted imagery of a Xia fighter so fast that their striking limbs are a myriad blur is an extremely important piece of Buddhist lore: the legend of Guanyin and the Thousand Arms.

Guanyin (also known as Avalokitasvara in original Sanskrit) is a deity and Bodhisattva (one who has attained a supreme state of enlightenment, generally through benevolent acts of charity) who is the center of numerous Buddhist myths. One of them being a story where Guanyin, acting out of compassion for the struggling harshness of life for so many, attempts to use her power to free all sentient beings in existence from the continuous, never-ending cycle of reincarnation.

Unable to at once comprehend the minds and wills of so many beings, her head shatters into eleven pieces. Amitabha, a deity known for attaining perfect enlightenment/Buddhahood, helped her by turning the fragmented pieces of her head into eleven separate heads, all capable of hearing and understanding the many cries of the suffering and needy in the world. Attempting to reach out to all of them at once, her arms likewise shatter into countless fragments. Once more, Amitabha aids her by granting her over a thousand arms, all capable of reaching out to and helping those in need or pain.

Statues of a multi-headed and multi-armed Guanyin are objects of great religious and mythological significance in Buddhist iconography, a symbol of not only boundless compassion and selflessness, but also (and more integral to Wuxia) a symbol of dedication, determination, and personal growth/improvement externalized via the image of Guanyin physically transformed by her will to accomplish her goal (an altruistic one of alleviating suffering).

A great deal of Wuxia lore takes ideas, concepts, and iconography from Buddhist and Taoist myths: one of the single-most powerful and famous mythical martial arts techniques in all of Wuxa fiction is of course the Buddha's Palm (or Palm of a Thousand Buddhas), a series of superhumanly fast and powerful palm strikes backed by the complete focus of all of a fighter's ki capable of shattering mountains from thousands of miles away in some stories and that is attainable only to warriors who have achieved a perfect physical and spiritual state of being (akin to Buddhahood or Nirvana for a martial artist).

It is very likely and oft speculated by many Wuxia enthusiasts that the indelible image of an inhumanly fast Wulin martial arts master whose body moves so swift that they appear to have countless limbs all striking at once can trace its artistic/visual roots to statues, sculptures, and other ancient artwork depicting the Buddhist tale of Guanyin and the Thousand Arms.

Image[/spoiler]

That was pretty interesting, man, thanks for the explanation! :thumbup:
Last edited by Noah on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 pm

The special was amazing, absolutely loved everything about it. It definitely surpassed even the hype for me personally. It's a great time to be a DragonBall fan that's for sure. :D

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:57 pm

I've never seen the word "gay" thrown around so much to describe a female DB character. It alternates between that and "fat b****". Geez.

I don't like her either though.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:

I've never seen the word "gay" thrown around so much to describe a female DB character. It alternates between that and "fat b****".
Shows how substantive the dislike for her is, if you can only throw a nasty word or use a regular word in a nasty way, really that shows little care or substance about understanding a character and that is not much to really worry about cause that kind of dislike has not much weight in long-terms. I have seen it before and then people move on. I would not take those seriously.

Their are good debates from some posters here about detail reasons about not liking but at least they are respectful, they can get heated but they at least go into details and reasons, they think it threw. When that happens those are real ideals of debates that don't require going into the sewer in words to make a point.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:11 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:

I didn't mind her gimmick at first but whenever she's on screen she eats up a ton of time while accomplishing absolutely nothing of note.
Funny thing is that for the entire double episode/special she only had about five minutes. Yet I've seen people complain she was in like half of Episode 109, which is total bullshit.

I personally find Ribrianne a very enjoyable character. It would be funny if most of the complaints about Ribrianne were from YT comments. And that were the case, I wouldn't really take any of that shit seriously.