Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: Super Episode 118 (3 December 2017)

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:06 am

Michsi wrote:
sintzu wrote: What's up with the Namakians power levels ? After fusing with one he went from not being able to touch Nappa to giving 2nd form Freeza a major run for his $$$. After fusing with a 2nd one he went from not being able to touch 3rd form Freeza to vastly surpassing Ssj Goku and Vegeta. These 2 have fused with what seemes to be at least 10 each yet this is how strong they are ?

It seems they hadn't fully assimilated the new power yet, maybe they needed more time. And it depends with who they fused with. Nail was the strongest namekian and Kami was Piccolo's other half. What if those volunteers were just your average namekians.
Asura wrote: But I will say the parts with the Namekians and the army of fused Namekians behind them was pretty cool and creepy. What was even creepier though was Kami and Nail, especially Kami. Those black holes in his eyes, damn that's dark looking.
Anyone else thought of Dumbo's nightmare?
Saonel and Pirina were not used to the fusions yet and have a lot more room to grow just like how Piccolo did and still does. The next time we see them will be interesting to see how they improve
themselves.
Kataphrut wrote:One minor complaint I have on reflection is that Saonel and Pirina fusing with every Namekian is a really cool concept, but much like Kefla, it was another potential trump card that accomplished nothing. Not to be Mr Power Scaler, but I like to imagine given enough time they could have surpassed Kale in power. But instead they were even with Gohan and Piccolo, got stronger as the fusion stabilised, but were still defeated in the end. It feels like a wasted opportunity to not have them involved in more fights, even if there was justification for it.

That said, it's amazing that Universe 6 went from being mostly pathetic and needing to be carried by Hit in the first tournament to gaining two really impressive trump cards in this one. You have to give Champa credit for having multiple contingencies.

That did not fuse with every Namekian and just the ones that volunteered.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
sintzu wrote:Not very good to be honest, especially the ending with those girls chasing the Namakians. You're about to get erased yet still treating it like a game.
How is that a bad thing? I loved that they were too sidetracked by that little fun moment rather than focusing on their erasure. It just goes to show that they’ve pretty much accepted their fates. I’ll take this over something that’s more grim.
I liked that as it made Saonel and Pirina seem like apart of the group which many people didn't feel like they did.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:10 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
sintzu wrote:Not very good to be honest, especially the ending with those girls chasing the Namakians. You're about to get erased yet still treating it like a game.
How is that a bad thing? I loved that they were too sidetracked by that little fun moment rather than focusing on their erasure. It just goes to show that they’ve pretty much accepted their fates. I’ll take this over something that’s more grim.

If you want to put a sadder spin to it, you can imagine they were trying to take their mind off what was about to happen to them and were distracting themselves from it. It would be neat if this was Caulifla's rough big sis way of looking out for her team. DID I MENTION THAT I LOVED SEEING THEM FINALLY INTERACT AND JOKE WITH EACH OTHER LIKE A PROPER GROUP!

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:14 am

There are certain episodes in Super that I like, but I can completely understand why others do not. Even for the special, which I adored, I could totally understand someone getting bored due to the fact that it was basically just a mindless alpha slug fest with nothing really happening on a narrative or character level.

This episode, however, isn't like that. I genuinely don't understand how you could be a fan of this franchise and these characters and NOT enjoy this. 118 was just fantastic on nearly every front. Action, direction, music, writing, character moments. Everything.

Most of the complaints I've seen are either people misunderstanding the point of certain scenes or...engaging in power scaling debates which...well let's just say I think is the single most boring way you could discuss an episode.

Only real major gripe is the reused animation in the first half, which was admittedly, well....RIDICULOUS in how excessive it was. I don't think there was a single piece of animation in that first half except for the initial little scuffle between Goku and U2 that wasn't bank.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:25 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:Good bye Champa and Co. (Until the predictable reset button to come)
Although chances are less, Toriyama might decide to go for Universes not being restorable once zeno erases it..
If not, it might be an invitation for potential plot hole of if SDB really can do anything, why didn't they restore all of Trunks timeline except Zamasu..
The best way to counteract it all would be Zeno's whishes can't be overridden..
Nah, I'm pretty sure a Reset Button is coming once the tournament is over. Goku will talk to the two Zens and ask them if they had fun and will convince them to restore all erased universes so they can have another tournament in the future and everybody is coming back.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Pluto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pluto » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:32 am

After 17 and 18 introduced themselves alla U2 theme, i was expeting Goku to say "And I am...tired" :lol: , but his joining game was just as epic.

The synced Kamehamehas from Goku and Gohan was really something else, followed by some really nice audio.
The Androids "pride swallowing" comments were epic too.
I love it when there are acknowledgements for the peers, the U6 Namekians being impressed are just hart warming.
Beerus and Champa were out of their comfy zone, and Champas goodbye was so him/them.
Even Vegeta was pissed for people he never knew..."Life" is growing on him slowly and slowly :).

Apart from the borrowed love clothing of the U2 guys, everything in this episode was VERY DIFFERENT, i cannot remember an episode in DB that had so much character output.

Kudos to the makers, they knew that kicking two universes out had to be followed with a good overall climate.
In the year 42 of our god calendar, Zarma acquired a special patent for his original design.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 am

Is it just me or are they really stepping up the fighting style/animation. Even a not that important episode looks (almost) like the old days of dbz. I am impressed.

But... Super seems to have a problem to animate Gohans face.
Last edited by Pannaliciour on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

DiegoBrando

Post by DiegoBrando » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:10 am

So Goku can just do a Kamehameha and win like this? After all the previous fights and exhaustion? The namekians also went out rather easily and didn't really do anything special. If you are going to do a Battle Royale like this, it would be good if more universes were relevant. Not just cannon fodder for Goku.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:14 am

The editing and pacing of this episode was top-notch. And the Namekians backstory, the Kami and Nail cameo, the simultaneous Kamehameha, the erasures, the soundtrack... Great episode all around.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:15 am

Just re-watched that final Kamehameha scene - the music, the synchronization, the animation, the impact sound. Damn, I love it so much!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:35 am

Zeno murdering people for his amusement isn't really any different than Emperor of the Universe Frieza doing it, or Black and Zamasu. They claimed the authority and nobody was strong enough to stop them. Zeno just puts a cutesy face on the same actions.

All in all a really good episode brought down just a bit by the re-used animation in the first half. The one that stood out to me as the most glaring was Saonel rushing Gohan with his ki blade.

The Mandude Squadron had me in tears. I never expected anything like that and it was brilliantly executed. I did expect those three to be a couple of jobbers who went down without a fight and was very pleasantly surprised by their performance. Well done, gentleman. :thumbup: U2's send-off was also really touching. I loved that their Angel was streaming the tournament to the entirety of Universe 2 and that everyone lent their power and support for the final battle. It's stuff like this that really helps humanize the other universes.

Saonel and Pirina also did well for themselves. No complaints there. I was expecting to be more broken up about U6's send-off but it was so low-key that there's no way it was any kind of final send-off. If anything it convinced me more than ever that at least they will be back. The reactions from Beerus and Vegeta were good enough for me. Someone actually giving a damn about the death and mayhem and reacting to it realistically.

The NEP shows U4 going all-out in the next episode and I'll wager they're not long for this world. I give them until 121 at the very latest. 120 marks 12 episodes since the ending changed for 109 so the confrontation with U4 might be the "finale" for this season with the final gauntlet of U3/U11 starting on the 23rd right before the New Year break. Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll announce a new ending here soon? It's about that time. :think:

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arg » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:49 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Zeno murdering people for his amusement isn't really any different than Emperor of the Universe Frieza doing it, or Black and Zamasu. They claimed the authority and nobody was strong enough to stop them. Zeno just puts a cutesy face on the same actions.
If anything this makes me wish more and more for a rebellion against zeno arc.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:17 am

There was a small neat detail that blink and you miss it, right after Champa is erased you can see vados bowing.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:31 am

Kanassa wrote:
sintzu wrote:Not very good to be honest, especially the ending with those girls chasing the Namakians. You're about to get erased yet still treating it like a game
I don't see that as a bad thing, it only makes the scene more bittersweet. They've accepted their fate, and they're fine with it because they all did everything that they could; so instead of making their last moments one of sadness, it's one of fond recollection. They didn't win, but they got pretty damn close. It's the perfect way to bow out. It's like those "It was an honor, gentleman" in war movies. Actually, it makes me think of the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth where the characters stand around jabbing at each other a bit as they realize that they're fucked.
Agreed - and pleased I am not the only one who thought of Blackadder where this was concerned!

I actually loved how they approached this and how they accepted their fate - heck, Champa simply watching his team's reaction (including the girls chasing the Namekians was wonderful ........ no losing his temper, no telling them to behave; just a subtle nod of acceptance before he turned his attention to his 'goodbye' to his brother. So well written.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:38 am

I have to admit I was more sad when U6 was erased than anticipated. Even U2 made me feel a bit down.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:46 am

Another minor point of bother was the Grand Priest's dialogue in reference to U7: "..... as a result they are probably the most drained".
Not technically true since they have one team member who has done VERY little so far and is undoubtedly still at full power: Freeza.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:02 am

Good episode but the trasformation for the U2 fighters was ... weird, really weird.
Happy to see nail again e so much attention to namekians :thumbup:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:23 am

Cipher wrote:
sintzu wrote:What's up with the Namakians power levels ? After fusing with one he went from not being able to touch Nappa to giving 2nd form Freeza a major run for his $$$. After fusing with a 2nd one he went from not being able to touch 3rd form Freeza to vastly surpassing Ssj Goku and Vegeta. These 2 have fused with what seemes to be at least 10 each yet this is how strong they are ?
Diminishing returns?

It probably doesn't all math-out correctly if you approach it that way, but they were at least strong enough to go toe-to-toe with Ultimate Gohan, who was stronger than everyone outside of Vegetto and Boo's absorption forms in the original run.

That's already a pretty massive gulf between them and Piccolo, who after two fusions (or however his remerging with God worked), was still trounced by first-form Cell.
The Namekians were extremely strong since they were able to pushed Ultimate Gohan who supposedly rivaled Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku, so they're within the 'god level'. And depending where they started from, that is a huge jump to probably the millions times.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:24 am

SonReggie wrote:Another minor point of bother was the Grand Priest's dialogue in reference to U7: "..... as a result they are probably the most drained".
Not technically true since they have one team member who has done VERY little so far and is undoubtedly still at full power: Freeza.
You can say that about the entirety of the remaining universes though. With U7 it's just one member really.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:36 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:There was a small neat detail that blink and you miss it, right after Champa is erased you can see Vados bowing.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
She did have some respect for him after all.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:39 am

A good episode,I really like the battle of Gohan and Piccolo vs Saonel vs pirina as well Goku vs U2 it was great and their final kamekameha blast was epic.
    U2 Trio guy transforming into magical girls was hilarious as well unexpected :lol: ,#17 and #18 along with Goku playing the villian was enjoyable however the reused animation was tedious.
      I do like the fact that Nail and Kami appear again it was nice seeing them again through I really wish the battle of Gohan and Piccolo vs the namekian was a bit longer but it was ok.
        The Erasure of U2 was really touching I do like the fact that all them accept their Erasure like a champ, I'll miss you Brianne,The U6 Erasure was a bit anticlimactic but it was also touching I'll miss you all especially Hit and Caulifla speaking of Caulifla the scene Where she was chasing the namekian was pretty funny also Vados is such a troll.Overall this episode was great and I'm excited for The NEP.
        Last edited by Spider-Man on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.