Super Episode 125 (28 January 2018)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Super.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Super Episode 125 (28 January 2018)

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 pm

My goodness... I'm speechless about this episode, probably one of the best in this arc yet!

- Strange to note that not only SSJB Vegeta hair got darker, but his outfit too

- I didn't spect a beam struggle between Toppo and #17 and Freeza attacking him from behind was just classic and on character! :D

- But again as Freeza tends to do, he wasted time with trash talking when he could dispose Toppo when he had the chance :yawn:

- This episode just confirmed what I've been posting these days: Toppo is a candidate to be the new U11 Hakaishin and very likely stronger than Belmod.

- I just loved the return of the Desperate Assault! it was a long time since the last I heard this track!

- So Freeza almost being eliminated by a huge ball energy so as his comeback was a nice reference to the battle of Namek, huh? :P

- It's funny to see how calm is #17 with a opponent that is leagues above him when against Cell he was freaking out! I just call it character progression :)

- Oh, GOD! I really don't expect Toppo to be so brutal against Freeza, almost crushing his head skull! Am I watching Super, really? That's was freaking awesome! :clap:

- It seems in the NEP that Toppo eliminated 17 and possibly Freeza (?) so Vegeta step up to battle him, leaving Goku alone to Jiren. I cannot say how predictable I think this all is going, but I'm really enjoying.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:13 pm

Great episode. By god was it satisfying seeing Frieza get his ass smeared across the void. He had no idea what he had just bitten off.

Speaking of Void, for being a world of absolutely nothing where even time does not flow, it sure does have an awful lot of stars hiding behind that veil of clouds:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

That is suspicious as hell.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:13 pm

Toppo can't control his power, is not stronger than Belmod. Still, this episode show again how much are OP the Gods of destruction compared to the mortals.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Vegeta's new form is yurk.

Episode was entertaining, even though C-17 did a pretty good job I still don't care about him... other than that Freezer is a little useless, I don't understand why they brought him back :think:

and Toppo was cool but his design is fugly.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:16 pm

17 did better than Freeza, and already figured out the weakness. Dude is legit MVP

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:17 pm

Pretty good episode. While the “reveal” that Toppo is a potential GoD isn’t remotely surprising, given that we knew this for the past year, it’s great that it’s finally receiving some payoff. It’s pretty crazy to think that he’s not even supposed to be the final boss of the tournament.

Apart from that, this episode seemed pretty well animated, and next week should also be pretty interesting.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:17 pm

Man, if Freeza somehow continues past this arc (which sadly we won't know due to the hiatus), I think him wanting a Gods power would be his next logical step after being trashed by Toppo.

Add another character to the "defeats Freeza and humiliates him" list:

1. Goku on Namek
2. Future Trunks
3. Pikkon in DBZ filler
4. Gohan in Movie 12
5. Goku and Vegeta Blue on Earth
6. Toppo

I see Freeza never learns from his mistakes and overestimates himself each and every time.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:18 pm

That... was... awesome. Oh my god, fuck the manga for revealing GoD Toppo so early. If I didn't know that I would be losing my mind right now.

Toppo is an absolute monster and managed to be more intimidating than Jiren in just a single episode. The dude humiliates Freeza, manages to destroy the arena and changes the entire fucking scenery all at once. I'm also really enjoying the amount of love 17 is getting. So glad he's lasted this long.

I am going to be rewatching the shit out of this episode. One of the arc's best. Next weeks episode looks just as entertaining. So glad that Vegeta vs Toppo is happening again!

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:20 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:That... was... awesome. Oh my god, fuck the manga for revealing GoD Toppo so early. If I didn't know that I would be losing my mind right now.

Toppo is an absolute monster and managed to be more intimidating than Jiren in just a single episode. The dude humiliates Freeza, manages to destroy the arena and changes the entire fucking scenery all at once. I'm also really enjoying the amount of love 17 is getting. So glad he's lasted this long.

I am going to be rewatching the shit out of this episode. One of the arc's best. Next weeks episode looks just as entertaining. So glad that Vegeta vs Toppo is happening again!
The manga? It was revealed on TOEI's site as soon as Toppo's bio went up

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:20 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:That... was... awesome. Oh my god, fuck the manga for revealing GoD Toppo so early. If I didn't know that I would be losing my mind right now.

The manga? It was revealed on TOEI's site as soon as Toppo's bio went up
I've never looked at Toei's website so I wouldn't have known anyway.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Toppo! Holy crap!

That man went nuts! Did not expect the ring to get blown to hell like it's been!

And Frieza got completely brutalized. Makes me wonder how he's gonna fair toward the end. I still don't believe we've seen him as "True" Golden Frieza, but time will tell.

Looks like 17 is going out next week. That man has done some work. Interested to see what Vegeta can do.

Coming down to the wire! Gonna be interesting to see where this goes

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Man this just proves how much Toppo was playing around during the exhibition matches with Goku over 30 episodes ago. :lol:

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:23 pm

MKCSTEALTH wrote:Toppo! Holy crap!

That man went nuts! Did not expect the ring to get blown to hell like it's been!

And Frieza got completely brutalized. Makes me wonder how he's gonna fair toward the end. I still don't believe we've seen him as "True" Golden Frieza, but time will tell.

Looks like 17 is going out next week. That man has done some work. Interested to see what Vegeta can do.

Coming down to the wire! Gonna be interesting to see where this goes
Nah it's most likely Vegeta. 17 being shown "knocked out" in the preview pretty much guarantees he's not going anywhere

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:24 pm

I might be in the minority who was hyped for this episode, especially considering the news about Super's end that made people kinda lose interest for the past weeks, but even so I didn't expect this episode to be as good as it was.

As much as I loved Freeza this arc and with the high hopes I had (and still have) for him in this arc, once he started trash talking Toppo and revealed his backstabbing means, there was no way I couldn't wait for his beatdown. And holy shit, what a beatdown. If there was one guy to put Freeza in his place after how much of an asshole he was to competitors this tournament (which I loved of course), that needed to be Toppo. I've been dying for this fight basically since it was revealed that he is coming back to life and I wasn't disappointed one bit, even though it went a bit different from how I imagined it, what with Toppo becoming more cruel and less heroic. Truly brutal stuff going on between them.

Sadly, not a lot of Freeza/17 interactions, but the time is not lost. They're mentioned together in one of the magazine previews, so we might still get that. And speaking of 17, the guy keeps on holding up and putting in work in such entertaining ways. His idea to run out the clock was good and if Freeza wasn't such a bastard, it might have panned out. I don't imagine Toppo would unleash his God powers had it been Gohan saving 17, for example. Then of course it's the "never back down" attitude of his that stands out and it is one of those tropes that always lands, especially when the character is more than a brute.

The fact he is facing an unhinged God of Destruction, something no one has done in the series, is earning good points in my book. He's been a blast troughout, but just like Freeza, it kinda gets to the point where for the story's sake, he needs a beatdown too. He's been doing very well and this is the best time to bring him down a little.
Also, saving Freeza with that rock was both fun and smart. He is on the top of his game and I love it.

Toppo's breakdown would have probably landed a bit better had he not uttered his departure from justice like two dozen episodes ago, but like I said, having Freeza being the one to finally push him over the edge makes sense. Still, he proves to be an absolute beast of a character. He has a quirky personality, fears and hopes and now we seem him at his wits end. Seeing how long it took him to get to this point, you can see why he's a candidate for the GoD job. I really think he would be a good one. Fantastic character all around. It's nice to see him kick ass, especially since he was overshadowed a lot by Jiren and kinda pushed to the side. His rematch with Vegeta, this time in a real fight, should be a blast for sure, and the NEP looks like it will deliver.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Forget my previous comment, it seems Energy of Destruction automatically kills non-living things on contact (such as a rock or a ki blast), but the user coated in it can obviously be physically hit/damaged.

But still, what the hell is Jiren hiding if a Hakaishin is this powerful? Goku and Vegeta vs Jiren and Toppo (hopefully) will be a treat. Though by the NEP and perhaps the spoilers (as in, the name of episode 127 and possibly Jiren/Toppo vs Vegeta) it doesn't look too good for Vegeta in the coming episodes...

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Holy crap, with a transformation like that, Toppo should have been the main antagonist. Couldn't they have swapped him with Jiren?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

MegaBossMan
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MegaBossMan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:27 pm

Fun Bardock-Freeza homage there in the second half! Except, of course this time, the Bardock role was a little more successful. I'm not usually one for homages, but when used to prove a parable for your episode, it's incredibly effective.

Overall, I'd like to echo the good episode sentiment. The storyboarding had notable highlights like when 17 began surveying his landscape for time measurements and the Freeza perspective shot. I particularly enjoyed the extra characterization we got with Toppo; we've seen him finally act on his philosophy to move beyond justice, and I'm led to believe we'll actually see Jiren be the one to take him if he were to take a note from the manga about preserving his own morality and sense of justice versus valuing his survival. Hence why possibly he never took on the position of God of Destruction; why do so when in the act, you'll become indifferent to your own beliefs and sense of justice like Toppo does here?

I'd like to nitpick or criticize something I didn't like in order not to contribute to a sort of echo-chamber feeling, but honestly I can't find myself doing so; this was just an enjoyable episode with a strong sense of directing and writing. Let's keep that pattern up all the way until the end, Super!
By jove, I've got nothing important to say!

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 pm

precita wrote:Man, if Freeza somehow continues past this arc (which sadly we won't know due to the hiatus), I think him wanting a Gods power would be his next logical step after being trashed by Toppo.

Add another character to the "defeats Freeza and humiliates him" list:

1. Goku on Namek
2. Future Trunks
3. Pikkon in DBZ filler
4. Gohan in Movie 12
5. Goku and Vegeta Blue on Earth
6. Toppo

I see Freeza never learns from his mistakes and overestimates himself each and every time.
Well the cancellation of Super does put an end to Freeza ambition but even if it did continue, keeping Freeza around would be a mistake unless they wanted another arc of him as the main villain and who really wants that.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:30 pm

This episode just blow my mind out! I can't even believe the hype that is God of Destruction Toppo! I loved how he trashed Freeza( my favorite character :( ) This episode really showed how powerful the Gods of Destruction are compared to mortals. I loved how 17 is staying calm when facing someone stronger than him compared to how he acted when fighting Cell. I love the Freeza surviving the Genki Dama callback in this episode. The music was great as well. I can't wait for Vegeta to fight Toppo next episode!
Rating: 9 out of 10
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:32 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Holy crap, with a transformation like that, Toppo should have been the main antagonist. Couldn't they have swapped him with Jiren?
While Toppo is seemingly on par with a GoD, the idea is that Jiren is supposedly above that.