MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 9/2/19!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3938
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:13 pm

Huh. I never thought about Daimao wishing for youth was irrelevant due to Kami. Your videos made my opinion on Daimao's character go down because I realized things about him, and he isn't as smart as I thought.

Overlong exposition is annoying. The worst is Cell's exposition dump against Piccolo, since it instantly kills any mystery about the character. That said, Toriyama isn't as bad as a few other SJ mangka when it comes to this.

In that color page with Oolong (and Yamcha and Pu'erh in the background), what is he thinking there? I sold off my manga, so I can't check.

Speaking of Mario, did you know Mario's anime voice actor is Toru Furuya?

Glad you mentioned Yajirobe is similar to Oolong. Honestly I think Toriyama shouldn't have even bothered with Yajirobe and gave Kuririn's VA the role of Piano. Although perhaps he didn't intend for Kuririn to come back.

Maybe Goku left the Dragon Rader with Korin and got it back after he "defeated" Daimao?

A lot of people think Daimao arc is when DB got good, but a lot of people think Daimao arc is when DB was RUINED EVER. I thought Daimao Arc was going to be a 3 on your list, to be honest.

So you are doing the TV Series next? Yay, I love the TV version of the first arc, but I don't know about doing the anime before you finish covering the manga. I'm dying to see the Cell and Buu arcs covered.

By the way, since you like Power Rangers, I saw someone elsewhere compare Daimao Arc and MMPR Movie. Antagonists are released, take over the world, have henchmen, the protagonist disappears, finds his "Inner Animal" (Oozaru), and then beats the main villain. :lol:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10592
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:19 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:44 pm

Number 2 huh?. Completely disagree especially after rereading and watching RRA and Daimao. Sure they have similarities but only because it's difference. Goku being dead. In the RRA it was pulled off as Goku still needing to get better and his gramps saved it. In Piccolo version it seems that Goku refused to die. Which is why I think it worked better that Goku recovered in less than a chapter.

I believe Piccolo taking over the world was supposed to be a slow burn. A slown dangerous burn. Which is better than quick burn with everyone going nutzs and stuff. Though I did wish to see more of a panic mode. I do agree the asspull power up and Yamcha being the hero was repeated.

Hope you don't think I'm bashing RRA cause it's your favorite. But I believe RRA got the worst villains in DB. Besides Blue and Tao who was good? They were wasted especially Blue. Blue was built up great. Then he got ROFL stomp by Arale and Tao. Wasted potential. Tao was the only decent one. Here's my issue. RRA was all hyped up to be the baddest and strongest in Army ever. Instead they was taken out easily and all of them turnt out to be lame and "pussies".

RRA honestly never felt like a threat or seemed like they was in control. While Piccolo arc(I always counted them as one) had many moments with a sense if lost. Goku was at his peak here. It was here IMO to Freeza arc that Db was at it's best. I felt character growth for everyone in this arc except Yamcha who didn't need any more. Just my opinion of course. Though RRA isn't my least favorite. Boo arc is. Which is funny cause my favorite character is from that arc .

About Ten. Does he really matter? He's one the worst characters Toriyama came up with. Zero personality and charisma. No potential. Just NOTHING to work with. However keeping it Toriyama. Here's how I would work Ten. Debut him in the 21st Arc with Chazou. Have him lose in the pre Tenkaichi Budokai(preliminary rounds). Then in RRA have him find a DB. Have Tao beat him for it but admire his talents. But Tao doesn't kill because wrong target. Have Crane offer him a hand and bam. Reintroduce him in 22 Budokai arc. There's your story and show what makes him angry (Chazou hurt). But knowing Ten he would fuck that up too .

Even though I can't stress this enough. Not being strong enough or not a fighter doesn't make you useless. You showed Bulma during Tenkaichi budokais. How would she be useful in a fair 1v1 fight? She's part if audience. Yamcha in this arc leg was broken. What was Oolong or Puar supposed to do here? Every character needed was used .

Just another nitpick
Though Piccolo and...."Kami" life are the same their bodies aren't. So Piccolo wishing for Youth shouldn't effect Kami. Now wishing for immortality would. Unless you think Piccolo Jr should be born old like Kami..or Kami turning into a baby :?
I DO NOT HAVE A TWITTER
Son Goten

User avatar
RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8785
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by RandomGuy96 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:48 pm

"If I were to make a list of my favorite moments from the entire franchise, I don't think anything from this arc would even come close to making it".

Really? Not even Goku punching through Piccolo? I'm surprised, most people rate that as one of the best and most iconic moments in Dragon Ball, if not the best.

I'm also surprised you rated the Daimao arc as the 2nd worst. I was actually expecting you to rate it the second or fifth best. So let me guess, the worst is the Buu arc?

I don't think it's always a fault for a villain to not have a deep personality. If you're just going for a villain to be a threat and an obstacle rather than an interesting character in their own right, that's fine. Which is why Piccolo senior is one of my favorite Dragon Ball bad guys; he's an effective threat, he's really evil, and he's badass and cool, even if he lacks any sort of depth. He works especially well after a series of nothing but comically ineffectual villains.

Is there any particular reason you've chosen now to start covering the anime, rather than continue on to the 23rd Budokai?

You made surprisingly little mention of the whole Kami-Piccolo fiasco. I think it's the single biggest flaw with this arc; the existence of Kami just brings up so many questions. Like why didn't he stop Piccolo? How is he both pure good and a huge asshole? Why couldn't he just seal Piccolo? Why couldn't he just cripple Piccolo? Why couldn't he just gather the dragon balls and wish Piccolo were sealed? Now that he's Kami, couldn't he have either just wished Piccolo to reintegrate with himself, or cripple Piccolo and then force a fusion? Why didn't he keep the jar containing Piccolo in a safe spot? What exactly does the god of Earth do if apparently the complete extermination of all sapient life on the planet isn't a big enough deal for him to lift a finger? How did Piccolo know that he'd be able to carry out his plan without Popo or Kami doing anything? Et cetera.
Huh. I never thought about Daimao wishing for youth was irrelevant due to Kami. Your videos made my opinion on Daimao's character go down because I realized things about him, and he isn't as smart as I thought.
What else would he wish for? I thought that getting a power boost was the primary point of the wish, along with maybe just feeling better in general, rather than a desire to actually live longer.
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

User avatar
Saiga
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 8273
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm
Location: Space Australia

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Saiga » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:49 pm

I see the Daimao arc as the RRA done well, so I can excuse those similarities. 8) Also, Piccolo's youth wish was more about getting his lost power back so I don't see how it was pointless.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12381
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:51 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:DBD: The Piccolo Daimao Arc Part 7!

I can't believe it's taken me half a year, but here we are at the end of the Piccolo arc. Let me know what you think about what I think! :D
You make a great point about how the storytelling for the Piccolo backstory is handled. I think a much better way to handle this stuff would have to shown the events play out in the opening pages of a chapter without revealing it to be a flashback until it was over. That would've been much more natural. Kuririn dies and the next chapter opens with the showing of Piccolo blowing stuff up and eventually being sealed, which then fades into a panel of modern day Muten Roushi saying "and that's what's going on" or some such.

The 2015 Dragon Ball Z film will be about the Dragon Radar created by Turbo. It's really a villain who has been waiting in the shadows to make its move!
•Julie | She/Her | Pansexual & Transgender | Queer |
•Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter)

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3938
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:55 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: I'm also surprised you rated the Daimao arc as the 2nd worst. I was actually expecting you to rate it the second or fifth best. So let me guess, the worst is the Buu arc?
I doubt he'll reveal what he thinks is the worst arc this early, but he has recently revealed who he thinks is the worst villain in the series.
What else would he wish for? I thought that gett
Just stuff like Daimao making sure Goku's was dead the first time, and it turns he wasn't dead despite Daimao thinking he was. I never really noticed stuff like that before that makes me go "Huh?"
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5842
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Huh. I never thought about Daimao wishing for youth was irrelevant due to Kami. Your videos made my opinion on Daimao's character go down because I realized things about him, and he isn't as smart as I thought.
Yeah, I can't believe I never did before now, but I only recently realized that too.
Overlong exposition is annoying. The worst is Cell's exposition dump against Piccolo, since it instantly kills any mystery about the character.
Agreed. That's definitely the worst offender.
In that color page with Oolong (and Yamcha and Pu'erh in the background), what is he thinking there? I sold off my manga, so I can't check.
Blooma is telling Yamucha about the RRA, and Yamucha's getting excited over it, so Oolong is thinking that, whatever they're talking about, it can't be good, so he wants to get away before Yamucha notices him. Unfortunately, it doesn't work.
Speaking of Mario, did you know Mario's anime voice actor is Toru Furuya?
I'd forgotten that, but, yeah, I remember the movie you're talking about.
A lot of people think Daimao arc is when DB got good, but a lot of people think Daimao arc is when DB was RUINED EVER. I thought Daimao Arc was going to be a 3 on your list, to be honest.
Well, considering what I said about how I bumped it down a point, *I* always thought the Daimao Arc was going to be a 3 on my list! :lol:
So you are doing the TV Series next? Yay, I love the TV version of the first arc, but I don't know about doing the anime before you finish covering the manga. I'm dying to see the Cell and Buu arcs covered.
The sooner I get started on the TV series, the sooner I'll catch up. Figure I'll do the first 3 now and then the second 3 after the 23rd Budoukai. Then I'll be caught up to where I am at that point, and each TV supplement can come directly after its arc is finished. Truth be told, I'm not entirely thrilled with it either because I like moving forward, not backward, but it'll be better this way than lumping them all together.
By the way, since you like Power Rangers, I saw someone elsewhere compare Daimao Arc and MMPR Movie. Antagonists are released, take over the world, have henchmen, the protagonist disappears, finds his "Inner Animal" (Oozaru), and then beats the main villain. :lol:
I'm not sure if it was you or someone else, but I do recall hearing that before.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/2/19!)
Current Episode: Goku Attracts Bad Guys? - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 17!

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3938
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Well, considering what I said about how I bumped it down a point, *I* always thought the Daimao Arc was going to be a 3 on my list! :lol:
Oh, I thought you were trying to say Daimao Arc was going to be 1, and you at least second switched it with whatever was 2. So Daimao was 3, but you switched it with whatever arc was 2?
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10592
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:19 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:39 pm

Just stuff like Daimao making sure Goku's was dead the first time, and it turns he wasn't dead despite Daimao thinking he was. I never really noticed stuff like that before that makes me go "Huh
That happens all the time. People in car crash sometimes when going to hospital are DEAD. It's not until they're treated that their heart beats. Which goes back to my point of Goku will to avenge Krillin. Its zero reason to go "huh" here. None.
I DO NOT HAVE A TWITTER
Son Goten

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5842
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Kid Buu wrote:Oh, I thought you were trying to say Daimao Arc was going to be 1, and you at least second switched it with whatever was 2. So Daimao was 3, but you switched it with whatever arc was 2?
Yep!
TheGmGoken wrote:I believe Piccolo taking over the world was supposed to be a slow burn. A slown dangerous burn.
I don't mind a slow burn. In fact, that would have been a great idea and built a lot of suspense. It's just that it never actually happens. It's as if someone lights the candle... and then immediately blows it out.
Hope you don't think I'm bashing RRA cause it's your favorite.
You don't have to worry about hurting my feelings. It's just an opinion on a piece of fiction. Bash away if you'd like.
But I believe RRA got the worst villains in DB. Besides Blue and Tao who was good? They were wasted especially Blue. Blue was built up great. Then he got ROFL stomp by Arale and Tao. Wasted potential. Tao was the only decent one. Here's my issue. RRA was all hyped up to be the baddest and strongest in Army ever. Instead they was taken out easily and all of them turnt out to be lame and "pussies".
Besides Blue and Tao Pai Pai, who was good? Well, Murasaki. Black and Red were both interesting surprises. I don't think Blue getting beaten by Arale was a waste. I thought that was hilarious. So I don't mind that they were taken out easily. It was telling a different kind of story than Piccolo was. In the Red Ribbon Army, it was more about Goku's adventures and the humor of seeing people continually underestimate him. I mean, I even made the comparison during this arc and praised the Piccolo Arc for finally giving Goku a good threat, but, while they did overdo it at times in the RRA Arc (mainly just during Muscle Tower), I think overall it was quite effective and still gave Goku several challenges to overcome (Buyon, Blue, Tao Pai Pai).
About Ten. Does he really matter? He's one the worst characters Toriyama came up with. Zero personality and charisma. No potential. Just NOTHING to work with.
Well, yeah, since he was presented as a main character in both the last arc and this one, it really does matter for the purposes of this discussion (ie. how effectively characters are used). :P Pu'erh was another one who's consistently pretty damned boring and underdeveloped, but I still have to talk about him and express my wish that something had been done with him.
But knowing Ten he would fuck that up too .
Well, considering Tenshinhan isn't real, a lot of that blame has to go to Toriyama for not writing the character or the story properly, right?
Even though I can't stress this enough. Not being strong enough or not a fighter doesn't make you useless. You showed Bulma during Tenkaichi budokais. How would she be useful in a fair 1v1 fight? She's part if audience. Yamcha in this arc leg was broken. What was Oolong or Puar supposed to do here? Every character needed was used .
I'm not sure what side of the point you're arguing here. You say that not being a fighter doesn't make you useless (which I agree with) but then go on to describe just how none of those characters could have been useful.
Though Piccolo and...."Kami" life are the same their bodies aren't. So Piccolo wishing for Youth shouldn't effect Kami. Now wishing for immortality would. Unless you think Piccolo Jr should be born old like Kami..or Kami turning into a baby :?
I'm also not sure what you're saying here. It certainly doesn't sound like anything I said in my video. I never said Piccolo wishing for youth should affect Kami. In fact, that's my point. If Piccolo becomes young, Kami-sama is still old. So when Kami-sama's lifespan runs out, Piccolo still dies just as soon as he would have if he'd still been old. The only way it could have made a difference is if Kami-sama's life is already divinely extended because he's a god, a perk Piccolo obviously wouldn't have, but that's just something I pulled out of my ass.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Really? Not even Goku punching through Piccolo? I'm surprised, most people rate that as one of the best and most iconic moments in Dragon Ball, if not the best.
It's a very iconic image. I even said so at the time. And I think it's really cool. But it's definitely not something that, when I'm trying to find an episode I really want to see, I think, "Ooh, I really want to watch that." It's iconic, and it's good, don't me wrong. It just doesn't do all that much for me. Maybe that's partly because I find the fight as a whole to be rather lackluster. I dunno.
I don't think it's always a fault for a villain to not have a deep personality. If you're just going for a villain to be a threat and an obstacle rather than an interesting character in their own right, that's fine. Which is why Piccolo senior is one of my favorite Dragon Ball bad guys; he's an effective threat, he's really evil, and he's badass and cool, even if he lacks any sort of depth. He works especially well after a series of nothing but comically ineffectual villains.
I don't necessarily need them to be deep either. I don't need them to be brooding or tragic or even sympathetic (although all of those things are nice). But I do need them to have a personality. Otherwise, the hero might as well just fight a wall. Vegeta. Zarbon. Freeza. All of those guys are filled to the brim with personality, and that's what makes them memorable. Most people don't really talk about Tambourine or Cymbal. And honestly, I don't think the original Piccolo would be remembered that well if he wasn't directly connected to a much more interesting version of himself. The comical villains might have been ineffectual but... well, there's a reason Battle of Gods featured Pilaf and Co. so prominently after all... :wink:
You made surprisingly little mention of the whole Kami-Piccolo fiasco.
I did briefly mention it, but this arc was already going on for far too long for my tastes, and it seemed more relevant to cover in the next arc anyway since that's when God really becomes active. So don't worry. I'll definitely be getting into it.
What else would he wish for? I thought that getting a power boost was the primary point of the wish, along with maybe just feeling better in general, rather than a desire to actually live longer.
Yes, there is indeed that. However, it's not like he really needed the power. He was already stronger than anyone else on the planet. If he had just made sure Goku was dead, he wouldn't have had a problem. Besides, what's the point of taking over the world if you aren't going to get to enjoy it for very long? After all, he has to last at least another 42 years just for his plan to work out. So while I agree the power was definitely a motivating factor, it just seems rather silly and kind of a waste to wish for youth that's not really going to last. Well, not silly, just indicative that Toriyama hadn't considered it.
Saiga wrote:I see the Daimao arc as the RRA done well, so I can excuse those similarities. 8)
Haha, and I'm the opposite. I see the Daimao arc as the RRA done poorly, so it makes the repetition seem even worse!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/2/19!)
Current Episode: Goku Attracts Bad Guys? - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 17!

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by matt0044 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:58 pm

I think the exposition issue is something that's often fixed in the Anime because they animate flashbacks to really show those developments rather than only tell. I think Gozar made a video about the "Top Ten Filler Moments of Dragon Ball" giving examples. Like Trunks's flashback where "Mind Power… Ki" plays. Or "History of Trunks" itself.

User avatar
theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:08 am

*cracks knuckles*

I haven't been able to reply to the Daimao videos until now, but now I can! It's very interesting to see where you placed the arc. I guess it shows how opposite my views are to yours. You have lowered my opinion of the arc a little, but I still hold it in high regard. What you said about it having elements of the RRA arc is something I've kind of noticed recently. I do agree, but like Saiga said, I find the Daimao arc to be a better version of it.

My problem with the Red Ribbon arc is that it takes until General Blue to start getting any good. Red exists for two chapters (?) with absolutely no personality to speak of. General White has a little bit more of a personality, and the setup for Muscle Tower is super badass. However, most of the fights are all really dragged out gag fights. Murasaki is hilarious, but that's kind of it in my opinion. Then it builds to General Blue, the first villain in the arc with personality, even if it's a stereotype. The whole underwater cave sequence is great to experience in both the manga and anime. I laughed out loud so much at the many antics there. I don't want this to sound too drawn out, so I'll stop here.

However, with the Daimao arc, stuff happens immediately. Kuririn's death is a huge trigger and comes out of nowhere. So much interesting lore is pushed out. It feels like DB is starting to take itself seriously. Piccolo looks so foreboding even in his old state. Like you said in the video, it's interesting how the Pilaf crew is with him because it contrasts gag DB and serious DB. We get to see new emotions from Goku. Tenshinhan and Kame Sennin are more fleshed out. It's suspenseful to read and watch even when you already know what's going to happen in my opinion.

I can't wait until you get to the anime versions of those arcs because I feel they improve them so much through filler, voice acting, and animation.

User avatar
TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10592
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:19 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:13 am

Besides Blue and Tao Pai Pai, who was good? Well, Murasaki. Black and Red were both interesting surprises. I don't think Blue getting beaten by Arale was a waste. I thought that was hilarious. So I don't mind that they were taken out easily. It was telling a different kind of story than Piccolo was. In the Red Ribbon Army, it was more about Goku's adventures and the humor of seeing people continually underestimate him. I mean, I even made the comparison during this arc and praised the Piccolo Arc for finally giving Goku a good threat, but, while they did overdo it at times in the RRA Arc (mainly just during Muscle Tower), I think overall it was quite effective and still gave Goku several challenges to overcome (Buyon, Blue, Tao Pai Pai).
Mursaki was a horrible gag that dragged on like forever. After the first 2 chapters I was sick of him. He lasted longer than needed and was complete joke. Even for a gag he was a joke. It's worst in the anime where's it's 3-4 episodes of his stale ness. His funny moments except the Kyoubi tail weren't funny as is on par with Boo arc humor. Black and Red appearances felt forced and just didn't work. Black had potential I admit but Red didn't feel with me. Most of Dr Slump crossover wasn't funny. Well the fighting isn't.
Toriyama built Blue up perfectly and just blew him off. I'm aware it was Goku adventure and was gag. But after the first part who underestimate him? After awhile they was scared shitless or in denial. Goku never overcame Blue and I'll give you Buyon.

The Ten comments wasn't serious and was just me hating and thinking he's the worst character in the history of Db.
I'm not sure what side of the point you're arguing here. You say that not being a fighter doesn't make you useless (which I agree with) but then go on to describe just how none of those characters could have been useful.
I meant overall in the series not just in one arc. At some point in series you're going be sidelined and not "useful". But overall no one is useless.
If Piccolo becomes young, Kami-sama is still old. So when Kami-sama's lifespan runs out, Piccolo still dies just as soon as he would have if he'd still been old. The only way it could have made a difference is if Kami-sama's life is already divinely extended because he's a god, a perk Piccolo obviously wouldn't have, but that's just something I pulled out of my ass.
So? Piccolo didn't say immortal. He said enteral youth. Meaning keeping his body in 100% prime condition and keeping his prime power. Kami lifeline is irrelevant. Piccolo just wanted power. Nothing more nothing less.
Well, considering Tenshinhan isn't real,
Image
, I don't think the original Piccolo would be remembered that well if he wasn't directly connected to a much more interesting version of himself.
There's a reason why people say the Daimao arc was "when Db got good" or "It's when shit got real". Piccolo was remember as the Tone changer. Pifar gang is remember because they was legit funny.
Yes, there is indeed that. However, it's not like he really needed the power
To become more scary. He might also miss his prime power and notice he's weaker.
If he had just made sure Goku was dead,
He did. ... :? . Tao didn't check if Goku was dead and neither did that kid(Bora was his name?). Maybe if Tao just check if Goku was dead Tao would never need Cyber.
Besides, what's the point of taking over the world if you aren't going to get to enjoy it for very long? After all, he has to last at least another 42 years just for his plan to work out.
What makes you assume 42? I mean why give birth to Piccolo Jr if he doesn't have long to live?
I DO NOT HAVE A TWITTER
Son Goten

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3938
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:30 am

You think Ma Junior is more interesting than his father, Gaffer Tape? Outside of a few fight scenes in the 23rd Budokai/Saiyan Arc (I think overall that the fighting choreography peaked with 23rd Budokai and Saiyan Saga), he didn't really stand out to me until the Buu Arc where Toriyama placed him as the straight man in contrast to Gotenks, and to an extent, Super Buu.

Can't go wrong with Toshio Furukawa though!
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2850
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by coola » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:18 am

My few points:
- I agree with point about Mr. Toriyama introduce new characters, only to shuffle them aside, not knowing what to do with them, but, at least almost all of them had something to do, unlike Chaotzu and Puar, hmm, actually, both of them are pretty useless in story, and they both are sidekicks, with special abilities...
- In my opinon, that world domination aspect was one of points that anime did better, at least there you could see criminals starting riot across the world.
- When you mentioned, that Oolong could do what Yajirobe did, i remembered that early draft of DB characters
Image
- I have little question, when you cover TV series, will you mostly talk about differences between manga/anime, the way it`s drawn?
Last edited by coola on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3938
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:20 am

- So, the way Piccolo Daimao arc story goes, is kinda like in MK: Annihilation ("New plot, explain" copyright by Nostalgia Critic) :)
I'd like to hear more about this.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
coola
I Live Here
Posts: 2850
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 7:33 am
Location: Poland

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by coola » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:32 am

Kid Buu: Sorry, misunderstanding, i`ve edited it :oops:
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3938
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:37 am

Well, Pu'erh did get to contribute in the Boss Rabbit scenario and also defeated Dracula (who had just defeated Kuririn).

Chaozu admittingly is completely useless, which is a shame as he's actually one of my favourite characters. I like his design and psychic powers, and while I usually dislike characters who don't have much personality, it actually work well with him due to his lifeless movements. He reminds me of Kanna in InuYasha.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5842
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:25 pm
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:08 am

TheGmGoken wrote:What makes you assume 42? I mean why give birth to Piccolo Jr if he doesn't have long to live?
Because his entire plan is to destroy the 43 districts, one year at a time. Since he's beginning immediately, that means he needs 42 years. As for your next question, I really don't know what you're saying. The *only* reason he gave birth to Piccolo Jr. was because he didn't have long to live. He was literally about to die that very minute.
coola wrote:- I have little question, when you cover TV series, will you mostly talk about differences between manga/anime, the way it`s drawn?
The TV series videos will exclusively cover differences between the manga and anime. I'm not re-reviewing anything. I will be devoting at least a little time to the different animation teams, but my focus will still be on how anime-only scenes affect the story.
TheGmGoken wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:If he had just made sure Goku was dead,
He did. ... :? .
Considering Goku was still alive when he left... no, he didn't. In fact, he failed very terribly at that.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 9/2/19!)
Current Episode: Goku Attracts Bad Guys? - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Cell Arc Part 17!

User avatar
TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10592
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:19 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Contact:

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 8/8/14!

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Considering Goku was still alive when he left... no, he didn't. In fact, he failed very terribly at that.
Image

He checked. Heart not beating. Average person thinks he's dead. This happens in real life. A car crash or badly hurt. Your heart stop beating and you're "dead". Some people recover without treatment and some people do.
I DO NOT HAVE A TWITTER
Son Goten

Post Reply