MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 4/1/24!)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 11/7/14

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Thank you! As always, you are a Herms among men!
FoolsGil wrote:Oh, and nice pillow. :P
FlpShimizu wrote:I did NOT see that pillow coming :lol:
Haha, do you think it was an accident that it was in frame? Obviously, you guys haven't watched my non-DB videos. For just one example, in my last Batman video, I was wearing a shirt that said, "Normal is Too Mainstream. That's Why I'm a Princess." :P
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:40 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Thank you! As always, you are a Herms among men!
FoolsGil wrote:Oh, and nice pillow. :P
FlpShimizu wrote:I did NOT see that pillow coming :lol:
Haha, do you think it was an accident that it was in frame? Obviously, you guys haven't watched my non-DB videos. For just one example, in my last Batman video, I was wearing a shirt that said, "Normal is Too Mainstream. That's Why I'm a Princess." :P
I usually just watch the Dragon Ball Dissection, but I'll start watching the other stuff :lol:
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:52 am

1st part of 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVByAzolAsA I didn't know, that Chi-Chi competed under name of "Anonymous hopeful" in Polih manga, it was just "Anonymous" And i agree, Chaotzu was really unfairly forgotten.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/4/14

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:02 pm

Looks like coola beat me to the punch, but Dragon Ball Dissection December has begun!

DBD: The 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai Arc Part 1!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:00 pm

I never realized how under utilized or the general mistreatment of Chaozu until Dissection. Dammit AT, you could have at least pushed Chaozu to 'Puar' status, what was the point of him doing anything, or being around? goddamit. :|

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:21 pm

All my years as a Dragon Ball fan and I never noticed Yamcha had no scars prior to the time skip.

I should probably hand my fan card in somewhere.

Great video as always.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:13 pm

"Adult Goku" you say?

I feel like he actually does look like a teen here and is less tall and filled out than he would be later. You can see by comparison to Tenshinhan. However, this might be less intentional by Toriyama and more due to his artstyle changing over time. The more rounded faced less bulky Goku looks younger.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:48 am

Well, technically, he's both. I mean, he's 18, which makes him an adult and a teenager. Males continue to grow into their 20s, so just because he's still smaller here than he would be later doesn't necessarily make it incorrect.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, technically, he's both. I mean, he's 18, which makes him an adult and a teenager. Males continue to grow into their 20s, so just because he's still smaller here than he would be later doesn't necessarily make it incorrect.
Well, Toriyama might not have considered Goku an adult while drawing him. The age where one becomes an adult in Japan is 20, not 18.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:54 pm

Well, Toriyama's note for chapter 169 says, "I was nervous at how the fans would react to my having Goku grow up, but I’m breathing a sigh of relief at the positive response."

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:52 pm

While i agree, that first appearance of Piccolo Junior in manga is pretty good, in my opinion, anime one is even more cool looking, i last saw it 15 years ago, and to this day i remember that.
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:45 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Well, Toriyama's note for chapter 169 says, "I was nervous at how the fans would react to my having Goku grow up, but I’m breathing a sigh of relief at the positive response."
Growing up doesn't nesscary means to become an adult. Growing could be a very large change in appearance and attitude. Goku had a height change and lack of a tail. He also seems wiser about the world around him but still naive.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection! (Updated 12/11/1

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:45 am

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:22 pm

--It sounds like you were trying to imply that part of what makes Tao similar to Jackie Chun is that he beat Chaozu. Chun didn't fight Chaozu.

--Yeah this entire saga suffers from predictable outcomes that aren't even engaging because of how one-sided they are.

--Tao never to be seen again, in the manga universe anyway. ;)

--It seems at first the narrative wants to make it look like Kuririn seemed like somwhat of a challenge to Ma Junior, but later the humans attempt to jump in to help Goku, but Piccolo waves his hand and blows them all back.

--Sokidan is a pretty cool move.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:15 pm

While i really love 23rd Budokai, it is reeally shame they were so many interesting plot points, that weren't continue at all. Tao Pai Pai revenge against Tenshinhan and Goku (Maybe have Dr.Gero upgrade him?) And Yamucha interaction with Kami ("You have potential to be a great warrior) Looking forward to hear what you think about DB Movie 3, i really enjoyed it, visually (Mifan Kingdom look goregous) and how fights went (Bora beating Yamucha, and Tenshinhan killing main bad guy) i also can't help, but thinking, that Blue wasn't as evil as he was in manga/anime series, caring for Emperor. Only thing i didn't like, was fact, that Goku vs Tao fight, was almost a stock footage from anime. And fact, that you have Arale on poster, only to have her appear for just short scene.
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:54 pm

Hooray I get a gift on my brother's birthday today. Imma watch it now. :D
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:14 pm

Happy birthday!
Kid Buu wrote:--It sounds like you were trying to imply that part of what makes Tao similar to Jackie Chun is that he beat Chaozu. Chun didn't fight Chaozu.
You misunderstand. I said it was similar in regards to structure. That Tao Pai Pai's order was arranged to fight his enemies in ascending order (Chaozu, Tenshinhan, Goku), just as Jackie Chun's order had been arranged to fight the heroes in ascending order (Yamucha, Kuririn, Goku).

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:28 pm

For once I agree with everything you said in the video except for the predictability and Robot Tao. I'll debate on that once you finish the entire arc. That way I'll have all counters ready.

I have this arc as my 3rd or 4th favorite. But I'll be non biased. I fucking love Krillin in his match with Piccolo. One of my favorites. I do have sum questions though.

- Do you read manga in Japanese?
- Do you read the full colour?
- Did you scan those pictures or got them from Kanzenshuu?
- What are some of your other video's content? I do see some Batman in there.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:30 pm

"Here, [Krillin] is up to Goku's chest..."
[image depicts him up to Goku's nose]

Part 1:
Speaking of height, I'm surprised you didn't mention that Tenshinhan is outright gargantuan at the 23rd Budokai. Like, Goku's head barely comes up to his chest. Interesting that you think short Piccolo (he's like 5'7 at the 23rd Budokai; barely taller than Goku who is barely taller than Chi Chi) is the best looking Piccolo.

Also, height inconsistency ahoy at the 23rd Budokai! Unless Tao grew MASSIVELY, the cover where he stares down Tenshinhan would indicate that Ten is around his official height. But then when he stands next to Goku, Ten is suddenly seven and a half feet tall. Yamcha is consistently depicted as massively taller than he should be, about a foot taller than Goku, but can also grow another foot or so to be close in height to Giant!Tenshinhan if the panel requires it.

Other thoughts:
-Why is Chi Chi even a thing? This character is totally baffling to me and I don't know she exists other than to produce children.
-Chiaotzu is just Ten's Puar. I actually wonder why he gets to be in all of the group shots, both in the manga and the promotional material. Yajirobe is far more worthy of a spot, even if Chaozu eventually (far) surpasses him.
-I may as well bring this up while Tao is around: my head canon is that . If you're someone who doesn't hate the Android arc, then I suppose you could see Tao's role here as unintentional foreshadowing for that arc. The greatest RRA assassin is made many several times stronger through the addition of cybernetics, setting the stage for the RRA cyborgs and robots surpassing everyone. Though now that I think about, the Android arc feels like a missing portion of the RRA arc in more ways than one (mostly in the threat level and overall lack of quality).

Part 2:
I disagree about the Chi Chi subplot being a good move. It would have been good as a throwaway joke if she just never showed up again after Goku KO'd her. But having that be a basis for the fairly plot relevant marriage is... unsettling.

Anyway:
-I don't think the Tao vs Tenshinhan fight was just to have a filler battle. I don't think Toriyama planned the whole thing, but if he was just looking for a filler fight, it probably wouldn't be thematically appropriate like this. I also doubt he would have brought back Tao Paipai, who pretty explicitly died last time we saw him.
-How is Piccolo vs Krillin a good showing for Krillin? Piccolo is explicitly stated to only be using a tiny bit of his power to kick Krillin's ass. The fight only made Krillin look weak. Later in the tournament, he casually KOs Krillin and the rest just by waving his arm in their direction. Apparently, Piccolo is just extremely generous with his praise, like Kami.
-I never got why Tao wasn't disqualified until he pulled a knife and then a gun, when the guy is clearly a cyborg. In this world, shouldn't a cybernetic arm that gives you super strength (for example) be just as dangerous as a gun, if not more so?
-Speaking of which. I like the Kami vs Yamcha fight, basically for being the culmination of Yamcha as a whole. He loses in the first round, his enemy completely curb-stomps him, and he's repeatedly humiliated for comedy. It just bugged me that Kami praised him for a basic move he just saw someone else perform a better version of five minutes ago. It just comes off as condescending, hollow praise.
-I'll have to agree that Yamcha's role as the Worf was outdated by this time. Especially since we were introduced to Kami by having him finger-flick post-water Goku, who is equal to young Daimao, who would stomp Yamcha. I guess you could say "well, Toriyama wanted to remind us that Kami was strong", but we already had that. Kami effortlessly beat Yajirobe, who is much stronger than Yamcha at this time.
-This whole arc is pretty short. Isn't at least half of it just the fight between Goku and Piccolo?
Last edited by RandomGuy96 on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:39 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: -Why is Chi Chi even a thing? This character is totally baffling to me and I don't know she exists other than to produce children.

I disagree about the Chi Chi subplot being a good move. It would have been good as a throwaway joke if she just never showed up again after Goku KO'd her. But having that be a basis for the fairly plot relevant marriage is... unsettling.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... nakatsuru/
Who do you prefer: Bulma or Chi-Chi?
Toriyama:
To be honest, I’m really not fond of Chi-Chi as a character. (laughs) In the middle of the comic, I started to think, “I don’t want to draw her anymore,” and, sort of as a way of spiting myself, I decided, “you’ll have to draw her if she gets married to Goku, so marry them off!” So, I drew her as a kind of punishment. (laughs)

Nakatsuru:
So that was your reason behind it! (laughs)

Toriyama:
The women I draw all have the same sort of personality. I can’t draw gentle girls; I only know how to draw ones who are strong-willed.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!