Dragon Ball Z Devolution

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ats

Dragon Ball Z Devolution

Post by Ats » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:44 am

Hi everyone,
I'm the author of Dragon Ball Z Devolution:

Dragon Ball Z Devolution is a fan-made fighting game, tribute to Akira Toriyama for the tremendous work he has done in drawing the 42 volumes of the Dragon Ball series from 1984 to 1995.
It is NOT produced or under license from TOEI ANIMATION or FUNimation.

You can play it on your web browser at Txori's website.

Through the years, a team of various fans around the world have assemble to help me obtaining what the game is today:
  • Old school 8-bits graphics
  • 138 fighters (without counting their transformations)
  • 39 different stages
  • 14 custom 8-bits musics arranged by David Revel (Darvel) from the original soundtrack of Shunsuke Kikuchi
  • Various game modes (story, side stories, versus, tournament, tag team...)
  • And it's Continously under work!
The basics are explained in the tutorial and the special powers are listed here: http://www.txori.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8

Hope you'll like it!
Last edited by Ats on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Godo
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Devolution

Post by Godo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 am

I played through the game until I defeated Cui.

Pros so far:

- The music, all 8-bitsy and all, using the Japanese scores
- Nice graphics
- I love that the characters get battle damage
- Every characters signature move is performed correctly
- I love the beam struggles

Cons so far:

- I had to rely too much on ki blasts because of that I seldom was able to get a hit in towards the opponent
- One or two blast duels and the opponent is dead

All in all I enjoyed the game. :)

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:58 pm

I like it! Made it to Gero vs Yamcha, will finish later. Too bad that "dash melee" doesn't work vertically.

theawesomepossum777
Beyond Newbie

Post by theawesomepossum777 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Well, I beat the main story of the game! I was really surprised by the amount of content in the game post-story. I was also surprised by the insane amount of side stories. I can't wait to one-shot everyone with Tori-bot! I can tell that a lot of time was put into it.

Pros:
Great 8-bit graphics.
Nice sound effects similar to the show.
Janken is a clever diversion.
The perfect amount of story and fights from the Z era of the manga.
A lot of post-game content.
Lots of stages.
The character gimmicks like how the androids can absorb energy, and Yakon's light absorbing.
The 8-bit remixes of the Kikuchi BGM are absolutely amazing. My regards go to David Revel, and his work on the adaptation of the music. I swear one of the BGM sounds like a song in the NES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.

Cons:
There are a few sound effect glitches that mute the sound effects when a BGM changes in the middle of battle.
The hand-to-hand combat becomes super-ineffective almost immediately. You can never get any good hits in. Beams are the way to go. I played on easy by the way.
The Androids were the hardest part of the game because of aforementioned con.

Question: How does the game save the data. I know it's Flash, but does it save by browser history?
Overall, this is the best Flash game I have played in years. I had so much fun.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:06 pm

This is pretty neat! I've played through the regular story mode (up through the start of the Great Saiyaman part yesterday, and the rest today) so far; haven't really tried out the other modes.

I think I prefer the Kikuchi songs as 8-bit video game music than as... well, DBZ anime background music. Odd.

But yeah, as mentioned already, hand-to-hand combat is very hard to use (with the exception of the "rush past someone and knock them down" move, I used that pretty often and it was pretty useful, probably more so than most of the non-fully-charged-beam blasts.)

Ats

Post by Ats » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for your good and readable reviews :lol:

The last release of the game was a "content" one, with lots of new fighters and stages. Now I'm working on the future release, wich will be a "quality" one. So I'm improving the close combat system and adding new powers per fighters.
There are a few sound effect glitches that mute the sound effects when a BGM changes in the middle of battle.
Thanks, I'll see if I can do something about that.
Question: How does the game save the data. I know it's Flash, but does it save by browser history?
The savefile is stored localy on the web browser's cache as a HTTP cookie.
I think I prefer the Kikuchi songs as 8-bit video game music than as... well, DBZ anime background music. Odd.
I'll tell Darvel to read that topic, he will be pleased :)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:47 pm

Oh man, that was great.

Just to echo the cons of what's been said before: - the main problem is how irrelevant hand to hand becomes.

Aside from, I really enjoyed it. The music was just perfect.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:20 pm

This was pretty cool. Nice game. Love the 8-bit track.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Awesome is all I can say. Also whats everyone talking about. The hand to hand battles are epic(Playing on Hard) and mixing up ki blast and hand to hand is fun. I love the clashes

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:56 pm

This is so much fun. Reminds me of the old DBZ game on CN's website like 12 or 13 years ago.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:15 pm

I beat it.
A few suggestions:
  1. Separate melee button from ki attacks. It gets annoying when you try to melee and launch a ki attack instead, you have to fully deplete your energy to fully utilize the melee, and it's especially hard as #17 and #18.
  2. SS3 duration is way too short. You should increase it at least 3x.
  3. Make melee possible when dashing up and down.

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:21 pm

I played up until the second final form Freeza battle and had a blast, the music was absolutely phenomenal and there were a lot of cool visual effects. How you handled the transformations was really clever. I had a great time with it and I'm looking forward to finishing the rest. Not to sound sycophantic or anything but this is some of the most impressive fan content I've seen in a very long while.

As others have mentioned the hand to hand combat is kinda rough to pull off successfully and becomes a tad irrelevant when KI beams do mondo damage. However, I do really enjoy the simplicity of the controls so I hope whatever gameplay changes happen in the future you guys retain this game's accessible 'pick-up-n'-play' nature.

I can definitely see myself returning to this game more than a lot of the major official releases. :lol:

Ats

Post by Ats » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:02 am

Separate melee button from ki attacks
It was like that at first, but the keyboard was blocked when you pressed too many keys at once when playing 2 players mode...
SS3 duration is way too short. You should increase it at least 3x.
Right now, it's duration is 20 seconds. I'll try 40s for the next release. 60s would be an eternity for those short battles.
Make melee possible when dashing up and down.
I'll discuss that with the team. Right now, we are adding lots of different special beams and special powers :)
Reminds me of the old DBZ game on CN's website like 12 or 13 years ago.
@Hellspawn28 Is it possible to retrieve the game you are talking about?

And thanks everyone for your useful reviews. It changes me from the usual demands on the facebook page: add this, add that... It's very nice. Thank you !

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:46 pm

Been playing this quite a bit, clearly a lot of work and dedication went into it. I love all the extras like the character database and the music. My main complaints are that #19 and #20 are very tough to fight because you're forced to resort to hand to hand combat which is difficult to pull off. Whenever I try it, the opponent just blocks and takes no damage whatsoever. I have to try the dash-hit thing, but that becomes kind of tedious when the enemy is flying around all the time. Besides that, I think the game could use a pause button, especially for the longer tag-team fights. If I get interrupted by someone or something while playing, I'd rather not have to fight those 5 or 6 opponents all over again :P
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

some_weirdGuy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by some_weirdGuy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:55 am

Nice game :D, though melee is indeed an agony.

To give some pros:
> Liked the character roster and levels, nice work.
> good amount of content, it wasn't just some short 'minigame', it was a proper game with extras and everything. That was good.
> music was also good.
> somewhat elegant to have it all condensed to just two buttons. Am i right in assuming it's all based off the mechanics of a gameboy game(explains the arrows and A B input)
> perhaps it was just me, but how the battles played out was surprisingly spot on, normally in the budokai tenkaichi games for instance, you would fight say... raditz, with goku and piccolo, but only actually use goku to beat him. While in this game, i actually lost with goku and delivered the final blow using piccolo(with beam no less :P), and this sort of stuff actually happened very consistently, so much so that i realised it must have been tweeked & tested specifically to make such outcomes more likely.

Cons:
> melee ugh*
> movement needs work too*
> dashing is awkward to pull off*
> (why can enemies do a flurry of punches, but i can only punch slow?)

*(i suspect these 3 are actually very much interlinked, and fixing one will also alleviate the others)

---------------
Suggestions:
Mouse -
Something you might not have considered, but since you're on a computer(and i doubt given the nature of this that you're going to be 'porting' it elsewhere)I would suggest perhaps swapping out arrow controls to something like the Mouse. Currently your combat is two buttons + direction anyway, why not utilise the mouses more precise input to make moving and dashing far more satisfying/responsive? Even if it's just a control option.

The main problem is that arrows felt incredibly awkward, especially when your ai flies so fluidly around like that... as a player, I wanna be able to move like they do, and 4 directional buttons just don't cut it. (My first thought as soon as a started playing was 'man, having an analogue stick or something would make this so much easier').
Esspecially given the gameplay involves using the whole screen space, free movement is one thing that while 'ok' right now, would really be worth getting far more polished.

Dashing/melee:
If you could dash attack in different directions easier that would actually alleviate the clunkyness quite a lot. Tying in with the mouse suggestion simply moving your mouse and clicking to dash in that direction would be much easier than having to attack and double tap and hold two direction keys and have it not register half the time...
Perhaps that is the greatest current flaw with the controls, dashing is awkward to do, yet it is the only viable form of melee.

(which isn't nessecarily a bad thing, when it works dash attacking is incredibly satisfying, especially with your nice crash landing effects and such :P )
I don't think I ever landed a 'normal' punch successfully and was always smacked to the dirt for my efforts, so you're going to have to look back over that system and decide how exactly you want it to work, and what needs to change to achieve that. Do you want melee combat to be dash-focused, or do you wanna re-jig the system so 'normal' punches work.

Part of that comes down to a bit of feedback too. Even when I was successfully hitting them, I really couldn't tell. Perhaps having a different hit sound for the player and the enemy, land a punch, so you can tell the difference between landing a hit and getting hit. (maybe change the 'punch bubble' too, make them different colours to further tell whose punching what).

Controls:
Last thing i was tempted to say was maybe separate some of the abilities, so blocking and charging aren't the same(so annoying when not only does the enemy block the attack, they are now also charged up. And on the flip side, kinda discourages me to do much when i can just stand in the corner holding block to charge, then do a blast, then block to charge again, (especially given the point above about awkward movement/melee, there's not many other options than block/charge->spam->repeat.)

HOWEVER, by the same token, i also often found myself accidentally pressing the wrong button. Adding more keyboard buttons into the mix could make things worse, and as i noted in the pros for the game, it is elegant having just two buttons. Perhaps a good compromise with be to combine directions with buttons. For instance, hold the block button and press down arrow to charge (when charging, you could also be vulnerable to attack, so you have to chose between). Maybe also make it so you just hold the attack button and press a directional button(or press and hold) to dash attack, rather than the awkward/inconsistent double-tap.

-------------------
Anyway, despite saying all that, just gonna reiterate: You've done an awesome job, you should be proud of what you've put together, and i know it's only going to keep getting better. :)
Like collab writing and enjoy the universe of Dragonball? Check out World of Dragonball: Souls

Ats

Post by Ats » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:03 am

Hi some_weirdGuy, thanks for that long review.

I've added the mouse/touchscreen controls once. It was properly studied here : http://www.txori.com/index.php?article3 ... -de-pixels and there: http://www.txori.com/index.php?article3 ... eux-qu-une
And you could activate it in the SETUP menu since may 2012 until the release of the last version. I deactivated that option because it was adding more question and problems than answers. Like how to use special powers such as Chiaozu's suicide bomb?
And most of all, contrary to what you might think, it was not enjoyable to play, especialy with a mouse. That old version of the game was stolen by thousands of "flash games portals" website. Curse them. But you can try that option there. Just type "Dragon Ball Z Devolution" in google :)

Now if you really are struggling with the keyboard, you can play with a gamepad. Just use Joy2Key: http://www.txori.com/index.php?article31/joytokey (again, it is in french, but there is a google translate button in the top menu, and lots of tutorials on the internet. It takes seconds to setup)

The bug of the computer that was giving rapid punches has already been corrected for the next version ;)

Darvel

Post by Darvel » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:14 am

Hello !
Thank you for all your comments,
especially about the music I've created with a great pleasure for this super cool game.
Glad you like them. :wink:

Ats

Post by Ats » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:05 am

Everything is ready so that DBZ Devolution will be able to manage different languages in the future.
So I'm searching for a new team member...

Who clearly understands English and Spanish and is willing to help us translate all the texts of the game in Spanish?

- No Google translate
- Good use of punctuation and uppercase letters
- Goog knowledge of the DBZ story (but I'm sure that will be ok since I'm posting on Kanzenshuu :) )
- To be able to rewrite a sentence differently if the translation is not enough

If you think you can do that, please send me a PM so we can discuss ;)

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:02 am

I've just tried it up to Nappa (I didn't have much time) and I have to say that I've loved it. However, I think that you should change Piccolo's image. It looks like Piccolo Daimao more than Piccolo Jr, even in the beginning of DBZ. Other than that, I have no complaints. The music is also excellent, and I wonder if you could put the soundtrack for download.
Do you plan on expanding the storyline? I mean, will you, someday, add DB and (ugh) DBGT?

Btw, I PMed you.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Bookmarked. Very happy with this.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.