Death Battle: Goku vs Superman 2

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Death Battle: Goku vs Superman 2

Post by rereboy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:09 pm

singsing wrote:Everyone on whowouldwin is so salty about DB's reasoning. Yes, Superman wins. No, the logic that DB used was NOT okay. Jesus Christ these guys are terrible at this. There was like no research whatsoever.
I think that they went to the point that really mattered, so it was a good job.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Sora Saiyan wrote:I know what you mean, but I just believe it was a ki augmented tap. Didn't he change that egg to sand? I believe the planet tap was just more of a physical destructive feat.
My point is, I think as the God of Destruction he's just capable of destroying any single thing he wants in a variety of ways with his unique powers. Does he want to turn you into a pillar of salt? Fine. Does he want to blow off the left half of your body because that hand took his favorite ball of yarn? That's good too.

If the Gods of Creation can bring planets into being with their unique abilities, it makes sense the God of Destruction can remove planets with his unique abilities. It's not raw power doing the destruction (though he clearly can end worlds), but a unique power. You can't really say for sure that Godku could match these same feats or that it's simply a matter of overcoming endurance. We don't know how the God of Destruction's power functions. We can't just assume his flick on Goku is the same as his half a planet destroying tap given the nature of what Beerus is (he clearly didn't want to kill Goku in that fight).

As for Goku vs Superman, it's not that Superman is infinite or anything, but he's always growing thanks to the Sun, seemingly without limit. Every time Goku would approach his level, Superman would just be a little further beyond him. Goku and Superman are about two completely different things thematically anyways, so they don't quite work in a vs. They could make for some interesting stories as allies, but not as much in fighting one another.

Goku's more about the fights than Superman is. Superman's far more about the character, about humanity, about the struggles within, not the external power struggles.

Some of the best Superman stories don't even focus on him fighting so much as focus on how he handles situations, what he wants out of life vs what he has, how he deals with being called a savior, yet knowing he can't save everyone.

Sometimes Superman will lose, and those can also lead to interesting stories. How does the hero handle the fall and all that. Usually his loses are by his weaknesses, though sometimes very strong foes can overpower him.

It all depends on the writers. Writers have written Superman at all stages of powers from the Superhuman to the borderline omnipotent. Usually in the modern stuff, they try and write Superman in a way where any growths are still within reason of where he last was, just stronger, but there's always going to be writers who want to take him to a whole new level.

Another issue with Goku vs Superman is deciding what Superman. And if Goku wins, people can fairly argue that it was only against that incarnation, and if it's not even a modern incarnation, they can argue that the matchup was chosen to favor Goku, which isn't necessarily a wrong view point.

Honestly, I'd rather read a story where Goku and Superman fought together against some foes anyways. Showing off one another's abilities, getting to know one another personally, that sort of thing. Superman would probably appreciate the camaraderie someone who shares the burden of being an alien raised on Earth with so much power and expected to do so much to protect his friends and family on Earth. Goku'd probably try and compete to see who can take out more badguys first.

Now that'd be a fun story.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:21 pm

rereboy wrote:
singsing wrote:Everyone on whowouldwin is so salty about DB's reasoning. Yes, Superman wins. No, the logic that DB used was NOT okay. Jesus Christ these guys are terrible at this. There was like no research whatsoever.
I think that they went to the point that really mattered, so it was a good job.
Not really, they were trying to appease both fans (lol who didn't see that coming). They gave Superman fans the victory by letting him kick Goku's ass (while many Superman supporters are going wtf how is he no-selling a point blank star busting attack to the face), then insulting the shit outta Superman by saying he's a shitty character and that Goku is far superior in terms of writing and character.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:27 pm

Who would you want Goku to fight in DB? Superman clearly was waaay to high(TTGL could kill him easily though) for Goku. Who should have fought Goku. I like close battles not predictable ones.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:30 pm

Mewzard wrote:Another issue with Goku vs Superman is deciding what Superman. And if Goku wins, people can fairly argue that it was only against that incarnation, and if it's not even a modern incarnation, they can argue that the matchup was chosen to favor Goku, which isn't necessarily a wrong view point.
It should always just be their current incarnations, unless specified otherwise.
I thought that was one of ScrewAttacks stipulations? To have both canon incarnations or if one has non-canon feats, then the opponent is also allowed to have non-canon feats.

Funny to hear them try to lecture about what we should think, "Goku, you can never beat him and even, if you could, that would be wrong!"

Goku's potential is also limitless or whatever it was Beerus said anyways.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:32 pm

Why would Goku stop training if he becomes the strongest? Thar was dumb Imo. Goku was the strongest many times and that never stopped him.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:33 pm

singsing wrote:
Not really, they were trying to appease both fans (lol who didn't see that coming). They gave Superman fans the victory by letting him kick Goku's ass (while many Superman supporters are going wtf how is he no-selling a point blank star busting attack to the face), then insulting the shit outta Superman by saying he's a shitty character and that Goku is far superior in terms of writing and character.
The point they made about why Superman should win is spot-on and the reason why most fans like Goku's character is precisely why he couldn't win, which was what they mentioned (not that he was a better character, that's just you reaching).
dbgtFO wrote:
Well, then when Goku fulfills his potential and starts to lift infinite weight they can have a rematch.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:42 pm

rereboy wrote:
singsing wrote:
The point they made about why Superman should win is spot-on and the reason why most fans like Goku's character is precisely why he couldn't win, which was what they mentioned (not that he was a better character, that's just you reaching).
dbgtFO wrote:
Well, then when Goku fulfills his potential and starts to lift infinite weight they can have a rematch.
We shouldn't have a rematch in the first place because super just started all this accomplish is more fans bitching about this until a third one with half ass reason.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Mewzard wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote:I know what you mean, but I just believe it was a ki augmented tap. Didn't he change that egg to sand? I believe the planet tap was just more of a physical destructive feat.
My point is, I think as the God of Destruction he's just capable of destroying any single thing he wants in a variety of ways with his unique powers. Does he want to turn you into a pillar of salt? Fine. Does he want to blow off the left half of your body because that hand took his favorite ball of yarn? That's good too.

If the Gods of Creation can bring planets into being with their unique abilities, it makes sense the God of Destruction can remove planets with his unique abilities. It's not raw power doing the destruction (though he clearly can end worlds), but a unique power. You can't really say for sure that Godku could match these same feats or that it's simply a matter of overcoming endurance. We don't know how the God of Destruction's power functions. We can't just assume his flick on Goku is the same as his half a planet destroying tap given the nature of what Beerus is (he clearly didn't want to kill Goku in that fight).
Until it tells us he has certain abilities like that I'll believe it was a physical blow. I can understand where you're coming from though, but I need to have something like that shown more and stated to be a GoD power before I believe it. Anyway, we just have to believe that SSJ3 Goku's durability is a lot higher than a planet which isn't far fetched at all to me. Beerus was probably suppressed below 1% in both instances anyhow.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:02 pm

Who would you want Goku to fight in DB?
Someone who doesn't have the simple "Oh but he no limits" copout thing going for him. Maybe Thor? He's also a God.

vegeta623i

Post by vegeta623i » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:07 pm

I was just forced to watch the goku Vs superman rematch I have to tell you I am not really offended that goku lost although I call bulls**t on some aspect of the fight and on some of the facts but I like the fact they respected his character and how supes is op as hell but I enjoyed the fight

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:04 pm

I really loved how the ending explained (again) the concepts of both characters and what they represent. Goku has limits and it's his life goal to surpass these limits, but in the end he still has limits. That's just how Dragonball works. Superman's power is just flat out impossible to measure considering all the feats he pulled off (as they demonstrated in the video) and with the Sun being his source of power he has no limit. However, he struggles to fit in with society and continue fighting for what he believes in, or as they put it he's a "God trying to live among man." So yeah, both are impressive characters in their own right, but no matter what Goku can do within the boundaries of his series he will never be able to reach the level of infinity Superman has. Frankly, that's a good thing for Goku because if he ever did reach that level he couldn't continue to push himself farther. He would be left without a reason to live, which would perhaps be his worst nightmare and also why he refuses to be a deity.

On a side not, loved how King Kai tried (and failed) to lecture Goku about how he could never beat Superman. Also liked how Superman was sympathetic to Goku before and after killing him. He may not have liked how Goku just wouldn't stop coming at him, but at least he showed a great deal of respect towards the Saiyan.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:15 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:I really loved how the ending explained (again) the concepts of both characters and what they represent. Goku has limits and it's his life goal to surpass these limits, but in the end he still has limits. That's just how Dragonball works. Superman's power is just flat out impossible to measure considering all the feats he pulled off (as they demonstrated in the video) and with the Sun being his source of power he has no limit. However, he struggles to fit in with society and continue fighting for what he believes in, or as they put it he's a "God trying to live among man." So yeah, both are impressive characters in their own right, but no matter what Goku can do within the boundaries of his series he will never be able to reach the level of infinity Superman has. Frankly, that's a good thing for Goku because if he ever did reach that level he couldn't continue to push himself farther. He would be left without a reason to live, which would perhaps be his worst nightmare and also why he refuses to be a deity.

On a side not, loved how King Kai tried (and failed) to lecture Goku about how he could never beat Superman. Also liked how Superman was sympathetic to Goku before and after killing him. He may not have liked how Goku just wouldn't stop coming at him, but at least he showed a great deal of respect towards the Saiyan.
But this is where things gets weird. In the first battle they state that they wouldn't use God Superman or any other Supermans super powerful feats because it's only against Goku. They should have make New 52 Superman fought that one. Trying to fit an ideal of what Superman is vs current Goku is just dumb as hell. Why not just let Superman fight a concept then because that's what they are trying to make what Superman is. They basically say that Superman can't lose because the authors made him that way. If they really think this, they should made Superman fight Onepunchman. Onepunchman whole deal is that he is the strongest and can never lose. I bet Superman would instantly lose that fight.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:20 pm

fexus wrote:But this is where things gets weird. In the first battle they state that they wouldn't use God Superman or any other Supermans super powerful feats because it's only against Goku. They should have make New 52 Superman fought that one. Trying to fit an ideal of what Superman is vs current Goku is just dumb as hell. Why not just let Superman fight a concept then because that's what they are trying to make what Superman is. They basically say that Superman can't lose because the authors made him that way. If they really think this, they should made Superman fight Onepunchman. Onepunchman whole deal is that he is the strongest and can never lose. I bet Superman would instantly lose that fight.
The point being Goku as he was couldn't beat Superman as he was. This wouldn't really change in the future either, as Superman's always getting more powerful. There is literally no way to extrapolate how strong Godku is during the two movies because he has next to no feats. All we know is he's a lot stronger than before, but that doesn't matter because of how much stronger Superman was than Goku when they last fought. The fight's just for fun, the end result is where all the calculations and what not come into play. And as Boomstick said, it's "NOT EVEN CLOSE!"
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Mewzard wrote:
fexus wrote:But this is where things gets weird. In the first battle they state that they wouldn't use God Superman or any other Supermans super powerful feats because it's only against Goku. They should have make New 52 Superman fought that one. Trying to fit an ideal of what Superman is vs current Goku is just dumb as hell. Why not just let Superman fight a concept then because that's what they are trying to make what Superman is. They basically say that Superman can't lose because the authors made him that way. If they really think this, they should made Superman fight Onepunchman. Onepunchman whole deal is that he is the strongest and can never lose. I bet Superman would instantly lose that fight.
The point being Goku as he was couldn't beat Superman as he was. This wouldn't really change in the future either, as Superman's always getting more powerful. There is literally no way to extrapolate how strong Godku is during the two movies because he has next to no feats. All we know is he's a lot stronger than before, but that doesn't matter because of how much stronger Superman was than Goku when they last fought. The fight's just for fun, the end result is where all the calculations and what not come into play. And as Boomstick said, it's "NOT EVEN CLOSE!"
No Goku couldn't beat the concept of Superman because he has infinite strength somewhere down the infinite timeline written many authors ago. THAT'S what he couldn't beat. If you really want to based it on actual calculation, most Superman would get defeated by Goku. But doing that would just make Superman look bad when his new BvS movie is coming.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:57 pm

I don't know why people are using Beerus feats for Goku. Goku is still weaker then Beerus and still has yet to beat him. Fans love to wank Goku on how he beat most of his main villains which he never did on his own. He would have never stop Radditz if it wasn't for Gohan and Piccolo. Vegeta would haven't been defeated if it wasn't for Gohan, Krillin and Yajirobe. Buu would have never been defeated if it wasn't for Vegeta, Mr. Satan and the people of Earth. Goku would never gotten his god powers without the help from Gohan, Vegeta, Goten, Trunks and Videl. Goku would have never defeated Bebi if it wasn't for Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Pan, Uub and Kibitoshin. Super 17 was defeated by having #18 help out Goku and Super Yi Xing Long was killed because Goku had help from everyone from the Universe. Dr. Uiro, Turles, Lord Slug, Super #13, Broli and Janemba where also defeated thanks to help from other characters since Goku never defeated them on his own.

I know Superman gets help all of the time too. I just don't like how fans brag about how Goku beat certain characters as if he did on his own.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:04 pm

True he doesn't really have as great a track record as people probably think. I mean ever since DBZ started...

- He needed to help beat Raditz and died in the process.

- He lost to Vegeta one on one and needed help to win the overall battle.

- He did beat the Ginyu Force members.

- I suppose his fight against Ginyu counts as a loss.

- Beat Frieza.

- Lost against Cell.

- Drew with Vegeta but still ended up getting knocked out.

- Only beat Buu because of the contribution of billions.

- Lost agaisnt Beerus. Twice.

- Was made to look like a punk by Whis.

- I don't know if you'd call it a win or loss against Golden Frieza but it was all thanks to Whis anyway.

- Lost agaisnt Rildo.

- Lost against Baby. Fought him again and won because of help.

- Only beat Super 17 because he was distracted by another.

- Beat Syn Shenron only with help and then was losing to Omega Shenron afterward but did eventually win again because if the contribution of billions.

So nothing special. He has a better track record across the original series and the original movies though.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:40 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I don't know why people are using Beerus feats for Goku. Goku is still weaker then Beerus and still has yet to beat him. Fans love to wank Goku on how he beat most of his main villains which he never did on his own. He would have never stop Radditz if it wasn't for Gohan and Piccolo. Vegeta would haven't been defeated if it wasn't for Gohan, Krillin and Yajirobe.Goku would never gotten his god powers without the help from Gohan, Vegeta, Goten, Trunks and Videl. Goku and Super Yi Xing Long was killed because Goku had help from everyone from the Universe. Dr. Uiro, Tullece, Lord Slug, Super #13, Broli and Janemba where also defeated thanks to help from other characters since Goku never defeated them on his own.

I know Superman gets help all of the time too. I just don't like how fans brag about how Goku beat certain characters as if he did on his own.
Since were talking in situations where the plot won't affect the battle.
Buu would have never been defeated if it wasn't for Vegeta, Mr. Satan and the people of Earth.
Wrong, SSJ3 had Kid Buu dead to rights but Toriyama introduced a new weakness for SSJ3.
Goku would have never defeated Bebi if it wasn't for Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Pan, Uub and Kibitoshin.
Goku did beat Bebi as a SSJ4 with his own power despite Bebi using the Earth against Goku and his friends and family, Bulma recharged Bebi which is why Goku needed help.
Super 17 was defeated by having #18 help out
Once again do to PIS, SSJ4 would have destroyed S17 if Goku didn't feed him a bunch of ki.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:44 pm

So I guess its true, screwattack believes that Goku GT>>>>BoG/FnF Goku

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:58 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:So I guess its true, screwattack believes that Goku GT>>>>BoG/FnF Goku
No they don't they just made Superman stronger by adding his new 52 self to his previous self.