Fan Works Explosion

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Fan Works Explosion

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:31 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Birsru is holding up the middle finger? :shock:
He's flipping off Majin Boo.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:35 pm

http://hqwide.com/goku-perfect-cell-dra ... per-31042/

That would most likely NEVER happen....

Also...WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:36 pm

I don't know but I think it looks awesome. Although the colouring & cross-hatching on the hair makes it look like his hair is made of fish tails.

So here's a marked improvement. I drew this in 2010 EDIT: 2011 (I checked):

And I drew this a few days ago:

Last edited by ErikB on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:59 pm

You've improved greatly. I love your art style. Seems unique and still have that DB feel to them. Maybe cause I'm ignorant to art but are your characters "Bubble" characters? Sorry I don't know how to describe them. Maybe you can explain it better?

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:46 pm

Honestly I don't know what you're referring to. Do you have any examples of what you mean? I've just never heard the term 'bubble characters' before.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:03 pm

ErikB wrote:Honestly I don't know what you're referring to. Do you have any examples of what you mean? I've just never heard the term 'bubble characters' before.
Maybe I used to wrong word as I'm stupid as hell when it comes to art. Does "Block" characters ring a bell? That's what I should of said.

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:14 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
ErikB wrote:Honestly I don't know what you're referring to. Do you have any examples of what you mean? I've just never heard the term 'bubble characters' before.
Maybe I used to wrong word as I'm stupid as hell when it comes to art. Does "Block" characters ring a bell? That's what I should of said.
Sorry, that's not a familiar term to me either. The closest thing I could think of might be cubism, but I don't think that really applies to how I draw.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:16 pm

ErikB wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:
Sorry, that's not a familiar term to me either. The closest thing I could think of might be cubism, but I don't think that really applies to how I draw.
Well...what's your style base on or is it original? I really like it

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:24 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Well...what's your style base on or is it original? I really like it
Oh, well drawing Dragon Ball characters I'm usually emulating Toriyama's art to start with, the difference being in how I clean and colour the drawings; I use vector programs that allow me to get really precise line-weighting, and I colour the line work as well.
But in general inspiration, Akira Toriyama, Sean "Cheeks" Galloway and Phil Barousa are some of my favourites that I try to emulate certain flares from. Galloway especially, since his style really doesn't look like anything else but still looks slick and great; discovered him thanks to Spectacular Spider-Man.

I've done a few more stylized (i.e. a bit further from Toriyama and maybe a bit closer to Galloway) Dragon Ball sketches too:

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:10 am

Something a little holiday relevant...
"10 Years Later"
Last edited by Vertical on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:42 am

Wait... how old are they supposed to be? Because if they are kids, it's not cute at all...
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:46 am

Pan would be 15, Uub 20. I guess if you're not comfortable with that, imagine them 5 years older.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:50 am

They look like at the end of Z.

Vertical
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vertical » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:54 am

I titled the piece "10 years later" and thought I had the proportions decently teen'ish. My apologies if they are perceived as much younger; it was not my intent.

I am happy to remove if it it continues to be interpreted as such and deemed inappropriate.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:03 am

15 & 20 is a little weird, but I think it's OK, kinda.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:46 am

15....and 20.... a little disgusting imo.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:48 am

TheGmGoken wrote:15....and 20.... a little disgusting imo.
Pan and Uub makes more sense than Pan and Trunks.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:54 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:15....and 20.... a little disgusting imo.
Pan and Uub makes more sense than Pan and Trunks.
How about Pan and a NEW character just like everyone else did.

Goku and Chi Chi(brief cameos)
Bulma - Vegeta
Gohan Videl
Krillin 18

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:23 pm

Eh, Pan and Oob is a pairing that works pretty well IMO (barring the age issue that you kind of have to figure out how to play just right). The granddaughter of Goku and Goku's new pupil seems like the kind of thing Toriyama would have done...via timeskips of course, but it still feels legit.

The age thing is always a bit touchy though, yeah. It was part of the main concern with figuring out where to place my fanfic on the timeline, which is what led me to having it be thirteen years after the end of the manga, when Pan is 17 and Oob is 23. Still a little 'Ehh...' I'll admit, but it is what it is.

Anyway, good work Vertical. :thumbup: Picture looks great IMO.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Eh, Pan and Oob is a pairing that works pretty well IMO (barring the age issue that you kind of have to figure out how to play just right). The granddaughter of Goku and Goku's new pupil seems like the kind of thing Toriyama would have done...via timeskips of course, but it still feels legit.

The age thing is always a bit touchy though, yeah. It was part of the main concern with figuring out where to place my fanfic on the timeline, which is what led me to having it be thirteen years after the end of the manga, when Pan is 17 and Oob is 23. Still a little 'Ehh...' I'll admit, but it is what it is.

Anyway, good work Vertical. :thumbup: Picture looks great IMO.
Why would't you just make it 14 years? Pan would be 18 and legal. Though if Toriyama made a husband for Pan. I think it would be a new character not an existing one.