Every CHANGE Ocean Made to Dragonball Z: Saiyan Saga (Part 1)

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Planetnamek
Banned

Every CHANGE Ocean Made to Dragonball Z: Saiyan Saga (Part 1)

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:27 pm

This guy does great videos that list all the changes 4Kids made to One Piece, and now he's listing all the changes the dub made to DBZ which makes me very happy, so enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm1oryao4DM
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Every CHANGE Ocean Made to Dragonball Z: Saiyan Saga (Part 1)

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:23 pm

I mean, Ocean didn't change shit. It was Funimation.

And, to be clear, it appears this video is being quite weird and selective with its choice of what constitutes a change -- for instance, edits are counted, unless they only remove filler, except he kinda goes against his own rules there when he talks about the Goku and Gohan river chase scene, so "Every change Ocean made to DBZ" is a bit clickbaity IMO. :lol:

Otherwise, neat video. Though I think the guy needs to work on his voiceover. It's a little monotone.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:23 pm I mean, Ocean didn't change shit. It was Funimation.

And, to be clear, it appears this video is being quite weird and selective with its choice of what constitutes a change -- for instance, edits are counted, unless they only remove filler, except he kinda goes against his own rules there when he talks about the Goku and Gohan river chase scene, so "Every change Ocean made to DBZ" is a bit clickbaity IMO. :lol:

Otherwise, neat video. Though I think the guy needs to work on his voiceover. It's a little monotone.
I actually find his voice quite soothing, I'll definitely take that over someone being really loud and obnoxious(which is sadly the case for too many Youtubers these days). Also by "filler" he means cuts that only last a few seconds that are mainly done for time (like shortening scenes of characters starring at each other during battles), not stuff like chase scenes. Also many would argue the scenes with Gohan weren't filler. Plus the video would've been twice as long if he mentioned every single solitary edit, and even Chris Psaros would sometimes gloss over edits on DBZU if they weren't particularly interesting, so I can overlook that aspect.

We all know it wasn't Ocean, but I can understand him putting it in the video title as otherwise people would think he was talking about Funimation's in-house dub on CN as opposed to the syndicated one.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:46 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:45 pm I actually find his voice quite soothing, I'll definitely take that over someone being really loud and obnoxious(which is sadly the case for too many Youtubers these days). Also by "filler" he means cuts that only last a few seconds that are mainly done for time (like shortening scenes of characters starring at each other during battles), not stuff like chase scenes.
Totally fair. And tbh, my complaints here were basically just nitpicks anyway.
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:45 pm Also many would argue the scenes with Gohan weren't filler.
I was sure they weren't in the manga, though?
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:45 pm Plus the video would've been twice as long if he mentioned every single solitary edit, and even Chris Psaros would sometimes gloss over edits on DBZU if they weren't particularly interesting, so I can overlook that aspect.
Yeah, I agree. I guess I just thought that when he said "Filler and padding", he meant "Stuff that isn't in the manga", whereas he actually meant the more general meaning of that, which... Well, fair enough.
Planetnamek wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:45 pm We all know it wasn't Ocean, but I can understand him putting it in the video title as otherwise people would think he was talking about Funimation's in-house dub on CN as opposed to the syndicated one.
I guess. Would've been better to say "Every change in the Ocean dub" in that case, and clarify it in the video, IMO, but... Well, again, I'm nitpicking, I guess. These kinds of inaccuracies just kinda bother me, y'know?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:02 am

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:45 pmWe all know it wasn't Ocean, but I can understand him putting it in the video title as otherwise people would think he was talking about Funimation's in-house dub on CN as opposed to the syndicated one.
Honestly considering there are inhouse purists who think Ocean ruined DBZ and Funimation saved it I still think the title was a bad choice. There are just too many fans who are confused by the terminology used to define the first 53 dubbed episodes when it is implied Ocean did anything other than provide voicework. "Funimation-produced Ocean dub" or "Ocean cast dub" while a bit more of a mouthful makes things a lot simpler for the majority of fans. Otherwise I agree it's a perfectly fine video, I just think it's important the distinction is made clear.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: