[Work in Progress] DBZ: The Ultimate Movie Collection

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

B e n

[Work in Progress] DBZ: The Ultimate Movie Collection

Post by B e n » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Hi guys, I wanted to share my latest project with you.

I had an idea of having a nicely displayed set on a shelf so I started working on this - a collection of every DragonBall Z movie on Blu-Ray with a nice spanning image on the spines. The goal - when they're lined up, they make up the full image. Very similar to the card slipcase releases of the blue, orange and green brick sets for DB/DBZ/GT.

The spine image has taken around 3 days to get just right so I'm pretty happy with that, but the box art themselves are giving me the most trouble. Below is the preview for the whole image and what I have for Dead Zone (Movie 1) so far. I'd like to keep a theme going for the whole set but, currently, it's proving to be a bit of a roadblock.

I'd love some help here guys as I'd love to share this with everyone to print for themselves when it's done.

I understand that the movies aren't released as single titles on Blu-Ray and are double/triple feature sets, but this is purely for fun - even if you just print the covers and use spare/empty Blu-Ray cases to display them with no discs inside.

If there is enough demand, I may work on revising this design once it's finished so you can actually use it for the double/feature sets. It would mean a smaller spine and smaller image that spans all the spines, but I'm willing to do that to share it with everyone here.

Anyway, please let me know what you think and what I can do to make this the best it can be!

EXTRA NOTES:

For anybody wanting to do something similar to this, I did a bit of hunting for the specific fonts that are used in the titles for the movie releases. For the bolder font, the closest I could find is Creo which you can find for free on DaFont in one of the links below.

For the smaller font, it's Bank Gothic. You typically have to buy this font family and... if you guys can keep a secret... I didn't pay for it, so I won't share the link - but a simple Google will help you. I don't think Creo is the exact font but it's very close and you can create the grungy/weathered effect yourself with a texture or brushes in Photoshop.

I'm not an expert when it comes to Photoshop by any means, but it's something I've used for nearly 10 years now. If anybody would like help using the program itself, please feel free to PM me and I'll happily create some step-by-step tutorial videos for the forum.

BIG ALSO - I know I haven't included the History of Trunks or Bardock: Father of Goku titles here, but as they were technically classed as TV Specials and not movies, I didn't add them. I may revise this in the future. Let me know if this is something I should do.

Link to Creo font (if linking/advertising other sites isn't allowed, feel free to remove): https://www.dafont.com/creo.font?text=D ... COLLECTION

I want to update this thread as much as possible until there's a solid final product to share with everybody so, in a way, this is now a community project. Every little bit of feedback helps, so please provide any and all feedback - even if it's "cool!" cos' then at least I know I'm on the right track!

Thanks everybody!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: [Work in Progress] DBZ: The Ultimate Movie Collection

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:36 pm

These look like they're gonna be pretty awesome! :)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: [Work in Progress] DBZ: The Ultimate Movie Collection

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:41 pm

This looks great, would be delighted to see more if your still working on it.

Nice to see Manga UK getting some love too.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: