DragonBall Z Abridged

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: DragonBall Z Abridged

Post by rereboy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:49 pm

Yes, I did. Like I said, you criticized DBA regarding Yamcha simply because you like him and you would prefer he was portrayed in a more favorable light, even though this is a parody. You mentioned other stuff too and I read them but that was the part that stuck out to me.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:22 am

Will we get a DB SUPER ABRIDGED? :lol:

Just kidding I know that mights take a LONG while
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:34 pm

Calling it right now. Semi-Perfect Cell is going to be debating names for his version of Big Bang Attack while destroying islands.

The Desert Bandit
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Desert Bandit » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:02 pm

rereboy wrote:Yes, I did. Like I said, you criticized DBA regarding Yamcha simply because you like him and you would prefer he was portrayed in a more favorable light, even though this is a parody. You mentioned other stuff too and I read them but that was the part that stuck out to me.
I never said to portray him in a more favorable light, but to lay off the hate, or at least cut him some slack like what they've been doing with Krillin lately. I see most people who hate Yamcha purely because of the TFS content. They even have a song dedicated to bashing Yamcha ("Yamcha the Scarfaced Bandit") that is more popular than his official theme ("Wolf Hurricane"). Another example of going too far was Yamcha killing himself in the alternate timeline.

There is nothing wrong with making fun of him every now and then. But it just sometimes seems excessive.
PSN: Jak1739
I'm always up for Xenoverse battles!
Xenoverse character name: Aros
Race: Earthling

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:32 pm

If it means anything, we've been actively cutting way back. Also, barely anyone knows about "Yamcha the Scarfaced Bandit".
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:29 pm

The Desert Bandit wrote:
rereboy wrote:Yes, I did. Like I said, you criticized DBA regarding Yamcha simply because you like him and you would prefer he was portrayed in a more favorable light, even though this is a parody. You mentioned other stuff too and I read them but that was the part that stuck out to me.
I never said to portray him in a more favorable light, but to lay off the hate, or at least cut him some slack like what they've been doing with Krillin lately. I see most people who hate Yamcha purely because of the TFS content. They even have a song dedicated to bashing Yamcha ("Yamcha the Scarfaced Bandit") that is more popular than his official theme ("Wolf Hurricane"). Another example of going too far was Yamcha killing himself in the alternate timeline.

There is nothing wrong with making fun of him every now and then. But it just sometimes seems excessive.
You know your arguments about this don't have much of an impact considering how TFS portrays other characters in this series. Goku is a complete idiot and utter idiot, Vegeta has a LOADS of issues, Piccolo has to deal with two voices inside his head, Kurrin has his own "Owned Count" and separate Let's Plays of him playing horror games, the list goes on. Simply focusing on Yamcha makes it appear like you're bashing TFS simply for how they treat your favorite character.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:19 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
The Desert Bandit wrote:

You know your arguments about this don't have much of an impact considering how TFS portrays other characters in this series. Goku is a complete idiot and utter idiot, Vegeta has a LOADS of issues, Piccolo has to deal with two voices inside his head, Kurrin has his own "Owned Count" and separate Let's Plays of him playing horror games, the list goes on. Simply focusing on Yamcha makes it appear like you're bashing TFS simply for how they treat your favorite character.
Have to agree with Desert Bandit somewhat. Yamcha's pretty just considered the loser. That's really the worst kind of label. Goku's an idiot, Vegeta's super duper cocky and dickish, Gohan's the nerd, Bulma's a bitch, Chi Chi is crazy mom yelly bitch, etc. But Yamcha himself is mainly treated as...the loser. Really the only comparable person on the cast to him is Krillin. It's one thing to exaggerate and poke fun at a character, but it does feel spiteful when the joke pretty much comes down to him being a loser. Even Krillin gets to be funny and have his moments, while Yamcha is just the walking punchline. This is from someone who really doesn't care about Yamcha, laughs at the jokes at his expense sometimes, but still feels bad about him in hindsight.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:22 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Have to agree with Desert Bandit somewhat. Yamcha's pretty just considered the loser. That's really the worst kind of label. Goku's an idiot, Vegeta's super duper cocky and dickish, Gohan's the nerd, Bulma's a bitch, Chi Chi is crazy mom yelly bitch, etc. But Yamcha himself is mainly treated as...the loser. Really the only comparable person on the cast to him is Krillin. It's one thing to exaggerate and poke fun at a character, but it does feel spiteful when the joke pretty much comes down to him being a loser. Even Krillin gets to be funny and have his moments, while Yamcha is just the walking punchline. This is from someone who really doesn't care about Yamcha, laughs at the jokes at his expense sometimes, but still feels bad about him in hindsight.
Kurrin didn't exactly fair well during the Namek saga (or some of the Saiyan saga for that matter). It's simply possible there were more ways to make fun of Yamcha instead of Kurrin in the Cell Saga.

Speaking of which, calling Mr. Satan as the new Yamcha in the Buu saga if TFS decides to do it.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:08 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Have to agree with Desert Bandit somewhat. Yamcha's pretty just considered the loser. That's really the worst kind of label. Goku's an idiot, Vegeta's super duper cocky and dickish, Gohan's the nerd, Bulma's a bitch, Chi Chi is crazy mom yelly bitch, etc. But Yamcha himself is mainly treated as...the loser. Really the only comparable person on the cast to him is Krillin. It's one thing to exaggerate and poke fun at a character, but it does feel spiteful when the joke pretty much comes down to him being a loser. Even Krillin gets to be funny and have his moments, while Yamcha is just the walking punchline. This is from someone who really doesn't care about Yamcha, laughs at the jokes at his expense sometimes, but still feels bad about him in hindsight.
Kurrin didn't exactly fair well during the Namek saga (or some of the Saiyan saga for that matter). It's simply possible there were more ways to make fun of Yamcha instead of Kurrin in the Cell Saga.

Speaking of which, calling Mr. Satan as the new Yamcha in the Buu saga if TFS decides to do it.
Krillin still gets his moments, and while he has an owned count, he's not always the walking punchline. Not every Krillin joke is he's a loser. Every Yamcha joke more or less is that he's a loser. Krillin has cowardly, witty, punny, or other humour about him. Yamcha does not. Most of his jokes are him being a loser. I can see why Desert Bandit would be upset as those kind of jokes aren't very appealing to him. If you really like a character, and all jokes you see are about him being a loser and lame, then it's kinda sad. Playing up Goku's naivety is funny. It wouldn't be funny if he was treated as he's so dumb he's worthless (Though he's Goku so he's far from worthless). I'm glad the Yamcha jokes have been toned down, but I'd like for him to get some moments. He's kinda like the Meg of the abridged world.

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:41 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
BlazingBarrrager wrote:

Krillin still gets his moments, and while he has an owned count, he's not always the walking punchline. Not every Krillin joke is he's a loser. Every Yamcha joke more or less is that he's a loser. Krillin has cowardly, witty, punny, or other humour about him. Yamcha does not. Most of his jokes are him being a loser. I can see why Desert Bandit would be upset as those kind of jokes aren't very appealing to him. If you really like a character, and all jokes you see are about him being a loser and lame, then it's kinda sad. Playing up Goku's naivety is funny. It wouldn't be funny if he was treated as he's so dumb he's worthless (Though he's Goku so he's far from worthless). I'm glad the Yamcha jokes have been toned down, but I'd like for him to get some moments. He's kinda like the Meg of the abridged world.
You know that's going to pretty much end in the Buu arc considering how little he appears in that. As I said, there's simply been plenty of moments in the Cell arc to make fun of him just like how Kurrin had plenty of material to work with in the Namek Saga. Hell even though Yamcha's been the main target Kurrin still has his moments. Also, at least Yamcha doesn't own HIMSELF like Kurrin does.

Master Roshi: Gonna need a Senzu for that one.

Demon of Light
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Demon of Light » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:33 pm

Personally, I'm a big Kuririn fan, and I find his portrayal in the abridged series absolutely hilarious. He's already a butt monkey in canon, so it's pretty much expected of a parody to latch onto him and make him into a giant joke with the "Owned" counter and all. It's pretty much the same with Yamcha, whose butt monkey status is even more memetic. I don't think there's any real hate for Yamcha in the abridged series, just as I'm sure the TFS crew doesn't hate Kuririn.

I'd blame Toriyama for his treatment of Yamcha before I'd point any fingers at TFS, to be honest.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:43 pm

So anxious to Super 13 Abridged
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:47 pm

BlazingBarrrager wrote: You know that's going to pretty much end in the Buu arc considering how little he appears in that. As I said, there's simply been plenty of moments in the Cell arc to make fun of him just like how Kurrin had plenty of material to work with in the Namek Saga. Hell even though Yamcha's been the main target Kurrin still has his moments. Also, at least Yamcha doesn't own HIMSELF like Kurrin does.

That Roshi line was directed at Yamcha, you're aware right? Kuririn in that scene didn't own himself, he owned Yamcha.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:
BlazingBarrrager wrote: You know that's going to pretty much end in the Buu arc considering how little he appears in that. As I said, there's simply been plenty of moments in the Cell arc to make fun of him just like how Kurrin had plenty of material to work with in the Namek Saga. Hell even though Yamcha's been the main target Kurrin still has his moments. Also, at least Yamcha doesn't own HIMSELF like Kurrin does.

That Roshi line was directed at Yamcha, you're aware right? Kuririn in that scene didn't own himself, he owned Yamcha.
I don't think he was quoting the context of that scene, just the line to make fun of Kuririn.
Noah wrote:So anxious to Super 13 Abridged
Don't be. It will almost certainly be the most farcical of all our movies. ... so, I mean, maybe DO look forward to it, if silliness if your game.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:51 pm

My mistake, then.

Even more than Episode of Bardock? Oh wow, this is... going to be interesting.

Looking forward to Broly myself, though, I'm interested in seeing how you guys are going to portray his character. Since you hate him so much, I bet you'll have lots of fun... or not.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:00 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:Don't be. It will almost certainly be the most farcical of all our movies. ... so, I mean, maybe DO look forward to it, if silliness if your game.
That's the perfect reason to look forward to it! Also Goku getting punched in the dick. Vegeta will have a field day with that after all he went through in the last movie.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:44 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Have to agree with Desert Bandit somewhat. Yamcha's pretty just considered the loser.
Yamcha is constantly used a measuring stick in the series, he doesn't win one single solo fight in the entire manga without the help of others (besides the preliminaries in the tournaments and filler hardly makes it better) and he even loses Bulma for Vegeta. It's only natural for a parody series to make fun of him and making him look like a loser. That's practically the feeling his treatment gives off in the official stuff.

Bottom-line is this: It's a parody. And his reasoning for Yamcha being portrayed in a more favorable light is not based on anything in the series, just that he likes him and would prefer it that way. That shoul be self-evident.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:45 pm

But after Super 13...that will mean....oh no.....even more legion of comments for "WHEN BROLI!!!"

BlazingBarrrager
I Live Here

Post by BlazingBarrrager » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:08 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:But after Super 13...that will mean....oh no.....even more legion of comments for "WHEN BROLI!!!"
You know it's actually got me curious as to how TFS will handle Vegeta's breakdown in the movie. Hell he'll probably end up getting a worse beat down than what #18 did to him. lol

The Desert Bandit
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Desert Bandit » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:27 am

I'm sorry if my previous posts came off as "Hurr durr! Yamcha's my favorite character, therefore he can't be made fun of! Durr!" I sometimes have trouble expressing myself properly, which sometimes leads to misunderstandings.

DBZfan7 is basically stating my exact thoughts. I admit, I laughed at first when Yamcha was made fun off. I laughed when Vegeta compared Yamcha to Raditz and when Super Kami Guru called him disappointing, among other jokes that mocked him. However, come the end of the Frieza Saga, the jokes felt a bit excessive. Literally, every joke that had to do with Yamcha was mocking him.

Sure, Krillin was also mocked numerous times in TFS Abridged. However, Krillin also makes witty jokes or does/says other things silly or hilarious. With Yamcha, EVERY joke Namek Saga forward, was a joke mocking him. Even in the Frieza Saga where Krillin was most made fun of, a lot jokes involving him were wisecracks or him simply being hilarious without being mocked. If you look at every joke that made fun of Krillin, there were gaps in between each of them where Krillin would make clever jokes or do/say anything else considered funny. That isn't the case with Yamcha.

There is nothing wrong with TFS mocking Yamcha, but if they keep doing it so many times in a row with no bones being thrown or no other kinds of humor being squeezed out from him, it kinda comes off as hate and ends up being excessive. I'd feel concerned and bad for Krillin if he was only mocked with no other jokes coming from him or bones being thrown his way. And I'm pretty confident all the Krillin fans out there would feel the same if they saw him ONLY being bashed whenever he's even mentioned.
PSN: Jak1739
I'm always up for Xenoverse battles!
Xenoverse character name: Aros
Race: Earthling