Let me get this board rolling with an old-fashioned topic

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:06 pm

Fav charachter: UPA! How could you not love the little native american kid! What with the sad burying of his father after the guy was killed by Taopaipai, and the taking the form of a cross against that vampire fighter of Baba's. Why, without him, Goku would be nowhere! Not because of all that I just said but because he was seen donating energy to the Genkidama that killed Boo. That's right! We see how Upa's doing but not Lunch! Hooya!

[quote] A quick question, since the always fun topic of "stupid Toriyama and him pooping on the humans" did come up: Does Lunch appear in the "Z" period of the Manga at all? And if not, is she even mentioned outside of Kuririn's "Oh, she went off looking for Tenshinhan a few years ago" comment in the first chapter?[/quote]
Lunch isn't anywhere in the manga after the 23rd Budoukai, so for Viz manga: no appearance of Lunch in DBZ

According to daizenshuu 7 (I should just call myself "The Daizenshuu Bitch" shouldn't I?) Lunch left during the 5 year gap between the 23rd budoukai and Radditz battle to go live with Tenshinhan since she had the hots for him. Since he and Chaozu were constantly on the move however, she never found him. Instead of having her face when the Genkidama that killed Buu was being formed, Toriyama decided at the last second to change her appearance to a pic of #17. The words he says were originally her last words.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:21 pm

Here's an interesting Lunch/Upa connection for you Dayspring! In the original Japanese version of DBZ, during the Saiyajin saga, a part that was never shown in the American dub, was this scene where Tenshinhan is climbing up Karin's Tower to go train at Kami's. Lunch(in her psychotic form), follows him but of course, gets stuck on the ground because she can't really climb it, so she starts routing through a wigwam and guess who's it is! It's Bora's and he catches her and when she tries to attack him, who comes running to help him, but a teenage Upa! It's actually a really funny scene, and the last one besides the end part with Majin Buu, that you see her in the anime. That fact about the Daizenshuu concerning Lunch is really interesting to learn.
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:24 pm

I was talking about the manga, but thanks! I want to see it now. I can totally picture Blond Lunch going nuts on Bora.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:31 pm

Any idea why he changed his mind about showing Lunch? Did he think it might confuse readers (who, after all, hadn't seen her in about 6 years)?

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:55 am

PsyLiam wrote:Or was it suppossed to be a first and last name, like the "Tien Shinhan" implies on the DVD box?
I think in the dub it's meant to be a first and last name, because I believe there were characters who referred to him as just Shinhan like they were calling him by his last name.

PsyLiam wrote:FUNImation are actually pretty good at keeping the names.
They do keep the Japanese names, but they sure do a good job of butchering the pronunciation. I just want to scream every time I watch Yuu Yuu Hakusho, "His name is Urameshi, not Yurameshi, dammit!" I just wanna go down to Texas and yell the correct pronunciations over and over until they get them right ^_^

Oh, right, there's a topic to this thread, isn't there? My favorite character has always been Vegeta. At least half of my favorite characters are villains, so I was naturally attracted to Vegeta's badassness when I first saw him during some early dubbed Namek saga episodes ^_^ I love how he both evolves and yet retains many of his old qualities as the series goes on. I also really like both the future and present Trunks, and Bulma's a pretty cool chick, too (I would say Bra too just to round out the family, but, well, she doesn't really DO much). Outside of the Vegeta family, my favorite character is Piccolo (another badass turned good ^_^).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:16 pm

As far as I know, no one's ever referred to Tenshinhan as "Shinhan". I've always gone by the assumption that Tenshinhan is one, full name, but I could be wrong.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:54 pm

Oh, yeah, I know that's the way in the original Japanese. But I was wondering what FUNImation have done with it, since there is a space between "Tien" and "Shinhan" on that particular DB box set.

Have they got up to that point with aired episodes (or have their aired the entire series over in the US already)?

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:07 pm

DB is totally done on TV in the US, yes (as of about a month ago). They mostly referred to him as "Tien", but "Tien Shinhan" was thrown in every now and then. They spell it as two words in the episode titles and stuff, and it's pronounced like separate words. I guess it's supposed to be his full name.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:07 pm

The North American DVD releases are almost done. As for t.v., no, at least in Canada, YTV is only up to the episodes with Taopaipai. I think the States isn't much further along, but I could be mistaken. VegettoEX? Dang, where is the administrator when you need him!? :P
Last edited by Jerseymilk on Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:27 pm

Speaking of Upa, Bora and Taopaipai. Tonight's ep was Upa and Goku vs Taopaipai. (I think after Goku trained w/Karin. It ended with taopaipai running up the tower??)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:39 pm

As far as I know, DragonBall (the FUNimation dub) has completed its run, has it not? Last I checked many months back, CN was airing the Piccolo-Daimao arc. So... if it's not done airing, it will be, soon.

As for the DVD releases... uhhh.. they kinda pulled a Z where they skipped a few sagas in the middle. See the appropriate "DVD Guide" page.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:52 pm

Okay, that means Canada's really behind! The poor kids! Why Funimation pulled that "let's skip the middle and release the beginning and ending" thing again is always a good question. Personally, I think they just like to mess with us. Or they have a dart board with all the sagas listed in different spots, which they throw darts at, and release whatever saga the dart lands on.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:55 pm

I think it might have been something along the lines of:

"Hmm, these DB boxes aren't selling as well as the DBZ ones. I know! Let's put out the final few sagas! They have adult Goku and Krillin, and Piccolo, so kids might recognise them more".

Er, I was going to do a joke, but, seriously, that's what I think happened.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:02 pm

That's close to why. People wanted to know about how Goku+Piccolo were actually once ennemies.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:07 pm

I do know why they did it. I just enjoy being sarcastic! :mrgreen:

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:29 pm

Well, stop it. Fun is not allowed.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:46 pm

Yes Sir Psyliam, sir!

SDNess
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SDNess » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:21 am

Piccolo is the man. 8)

johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:33 pm

My favorite character is, hands down, Mirai Trunks. He is just a mystery and a cool character. I also like his father Vegeta mainly because he has so many sides to him. It's interesting. Oh and Piccolo. I think we ALL love it when it's not looking so good for the heros and out of the blue you hear "Gohan!" in a snarly voice and Piccolo kicks some ass for a few minutes.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:48 am

johnnyboy wrote:and Piccolo kicks some ass for a few minutes.
Key point there: kicks ass for a few minutes. Then predictably, he gets his ass handed to him by the main villian, prompting Goku to save everyone. It's only the plot for every movie and episode. :lol: