How is Dragonball viewed in the public eye?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:57 pm

KKZ wrote:I think I'm the only white person in my school who likes it.
What about everyone else? :lol:
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:20 pm

I'm probably one of maybe five black men that like Dragonball, at my high school. But we never make conversation about it, unless we're drawing random "Cell Shoop Da Whoop" images on our desks. :lol:

Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:22 pm

O.o.

BWA!!!!!!

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:27 pm

CashmanX wrote:
KKZ wrote:I think I'm the only white person in my school who likes it.
What about everyone else? :lol:
Most of my school is Hispanic or Hispanic/Caucasian. About 5-10% of us are fully white. I'm willing to bet I'm the only kid in school who likes the original Japanese version of Dragon Ball. There is about 1 or 2 kids who like the dub of Dragon Ball, but they're strange people....

Pain

Post by Pain » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:38 pm

(Directed At RoarkVegeta)How did I see that coming. :lol:

I'll give you guys the rundown on how Dragonball and anime in general is viewed in my community, which is mostly African American.

In school, anime is looked down upon for the most part. The individuals who like anime(Otakus and Narutards) are usually all in one group. Basically outcasts from the mainstream highschool crowd. Creating a false-life where they are just like Naruto: Lonely and misunderstood. Therefore, making them "lame as fukk", according to everyone else. On the other hand there are people like me, who enjoy various anime, but doesn't let that keep me down in the nerdy-dumps. I'm rarely asked about Dragonball. To be honest, I think that I'm a bigger anime geek than the people in the school "Anime Club". I've read the Naruto series about 6 times. I just keep my fanboy-ness on the inside. Where I live, you simply cannot be a big anime fan and be "cool as fukk" at the same time.

NOTE: If it makes a difference, I'd like to add that every single kid enjoyed the hell out of Dragonball, while in Elementary School. But most people had to get forced out of their liking of the series, due to a craving for popularity and the great game out....FOOTBALL!!!1!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:51 pm

You would be suprised how many black people where I live are into Dragon Ball. (I never really put myself in either the black or white category...since I'm mixed.)

I am being completely honest when I say that ever single black man at my high school was into DBZ back in the day.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Big Momma wrote:You would be suprised how many black people where I live are into Dragon Ball. (I never really put myself in either the black or white category...since I'm mixed.)

I am being completely honest when I say that ever single black man at my high school was into DBZ back in the day.

*Raises hand*

Pain

Post by Pain » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:01 pm

Big Momma wrote:I am being completely honest when I say that ever single black man at my high school was into DBZ back in the day.
100% true. Everyday after school, everyone would go home and watch Dragonball Z on Toonami, and then talk about it the day after, like it was the event of the century. I'd like to say that Cartoon Network was somewhat responsible for DBZ's drop in popularity, for our generation. Taking Toonami off the air wasn't the smartest of ideas. Was there ever a given reason why it was taken off of CN?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:47 pm

Pain wrote:
Big Momma wrote:I am being completely honest when I say that ever single black man at my high school was into DBZ back in the day.
100% true. Everyday after school, everyone would go home and watch Dragonball Z on Toonami, and then talk about it the day after, like it was the event of the century. I'd like to say that Cartoon Network was somewhat responsible for DBZ's drop in popularity, for our generation. Taking Toonami off the air wasn't the smartest of ideas. Was there ever a given reason why it was taken off of CN?
Because it wasn't cool anymore like Disney's Live action shows.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

Pain

Post by Pain » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:54 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Pain wrote:
Because it wasn't cool anymore like Disney's Live action shows.
That comparison isn't far at all. :lol:

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Thought I'd share to show the way people remember DBZ

today in class we made a story, each one of us had to write one line of it, so it started as a story of a little worm guy, but when he died, someone wrote that he was reborn as Goku and the rest finished the story saying that he and his friends Pikoro, Vegeta and the rest fought crime and defeated Cell and Freezer. By the end of the story everyone was laughing their ass off at the Goku worm story.

And the reason why they bought Goku into the story was because someone had mentioned that the last time we tried making a story like that, the main character had died so many times it left Goku fucked up

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:05 pm

Well, when I was buying DBZ season 6 at Wal-Mart a month or 2 ago, the guy who was the cashier happened to be an African-American male. He said he was in the middle of watching DBZ season 1. :D (Although his Wife didn't like it that much :lol:)

Pretty cool, I don't see that many DBZ fans in person that much. :wink:
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:33 pm

SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote: the guy who was the cashier happened to be an African-American male. He said he was in the middle of watching DBZ season 1. :D
Boom.

There it is again.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Big Momma wrote:
SuperSaiyan3Goku wrote: the guy who was the cashier happened to be an African-American male. He said he was in the middle of watching DBZ season 1. :D
Boom.

There it is again.

*Raises hand again.*

.:PoetikaL:.
Regular

Post by .:PoetikaL:. » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Back in High School, I was one of the minorities (I live in the country side, and it's mostly white people... who can be racial). I'm Puerto Rican and Pennsylvania Dutch, so I'm a mix of white and hispanic. I enjoyed everything and I got along with everyone in school. I would talk Dragonball and no one would care, and some people who I believed didn't like it, actually did, but more on a casual level. In college (PSU Lehigh Valley) there are a lot of people who enjoy anime and manga. So for me it works :)
My Deviantart: http://poetikal.deviantart.com
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheycallmeBrod

"I beat Toguro, and after that I assumed everything else would just be a big ol' piece of cake. And then some rogue Spirit Detective has to go and open up the freakin' gates of Hell!" -Yusuke Urameshi

I think Tom Dubois of "The Boondocks" said it best for me when FUNimation announced the release of the domestic Dragonbox, after buying all of the Season Sets: "MOTHERFUCK!!! SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT, PRICKS, SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIIIIIIIT!"

Krakabeast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

?

Post by Krakabeast » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Whenever I have mentioned Dragon Ball:

The guys in my life say "Wow dude, I stopped watching that when I was like 13. You're gay. Etc." This is funny because those guys are still watching Spongebob, so I am not understanding their logic.

The girls in my life say "Ewwww, really?", and give me a nasty look. This response pisses me off more than anything, so I do not mention Dragon Ball anymore unless it is around family or my best friend, and you guys of course.

I guess I really just do not look like the sterotypical type of person that would still be watching Dragon Ball at 17, but I can not imagine what people would be saying to me if I told them that I also watch it subbed. When will kids and people realize that everyone has their own interests?
Gohan: At least he doesn't have his sword out anymore.
Kuririn: Yeah, and your dad put his finger away too.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular

Re: ?

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:06 am

Krakabeast wrote:When will kids and people realize that everyone has their own interests?
That is the perfect response anyone could give. Even my own Mom thinks I'm "weird" for listening to Hironobu Kageyama (or anything Japanese, for that matter) on my DVD player or from my Computer. She says "how can you understand it" and I want to rip my hair out. :evil:

And she always makes fun of it. She always sings the "I'm turning Japanese" song and speaks what she thinks is Japanese. It's the "Ching-chang-chong" like its making fun of Chinese, not specifically Japanese.

Wow, I went on a Tangent. :shock:
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:10 am

My mother seems to think that I'm obsessed with Japan because I know a lot more about it than her, mostly things I've learned on Daizex 8). I don't have anything against Japan, it'd be a cool place to visit and a cool experience to learn the language, but I don't care if I go there or not. She seems to think it's my life goal to live there or something.

She also calls all anime "Goku stuff." :lol:

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:26 am

Innagadadavida wrote:My mother seems to think that I'm obsessed with Japan because I know a lot more about it than her, mostly things I've learned on Daizex 8). I don't have anything against Japan, it'd be a cool place to visit and a cool experience to learn the language, but I don't care if I go there or not. She seems to think it's my life goal to live there or something.

She also calls all anime "Goku stuff." :lol:
Yeah, I forgot to add the "Wanting to live in Japan" part in my post. She keeps joking that I'll get a Japanese wife. :roll: But she did call it "That Anime crap", so at least she knows what it is! :D "Not crap, the Anime part."

And taking a visit to Japan would be really cool. Getting to know the language, visiting the homeland of my favorite ganre of animation. Like that'll ever happen. :lol:

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:40 am

I guess its stereotypical to have a dream of visting or even living in Japan one day. Sadly, I fit that stereotype :lol: My mom even jokes about me having a Japanese wife one day as well.

Most people I know well accepted the fact that I like Dragon Ball. Watching it in Japanese (primarly DBZ and the whole "Goku sounds like a girl" debacle), however, they can't seem to fathom. I know some of my friends, who are hardcore dub fans, poke fun at Gohan's "Piccolo-san". Aside from that, there doesn't seem to be a shread of awkwardness outside from the typical and expected ignorant society.