FUNimation Dragon Box Updates

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:16 pm

SSVegetto wrote:*Useless crying censored*
So for me, I will get the Japanese Dragonbox rips or dvds or something that has all the options that we are suppose to have.
I'll be reporting those links soon too. BTW, the Falcouner score was only used so Funimation could charge for every minute it's played. It has served its purpose IMO and really ain't needed. Maybe it will make a comeback on a Blu-Ray edition of DBZ or something.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:23 pm

SSVegetto, the silence is part of why the original Japanese version is better.

Funimation's attitude that you MUST have music or talking in every scene is bothersome. Silence helps to build tension just as well, or even better, than crappy techno-rock.

The Faulconer music is not the soundtrack for this show. It doesn't belong.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:27 pm

I would like to point out that this is not a thread about which musical track you prefer, and said conversation and its irrational/emotional appeals were a primary factor in the locking of the original thread. Unless you have something new to add to the mix, please bring it elsewhere.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Kendamu wrote: You mean they can't even digitally remove the dialog, re-record the tune, use a different version of the Head Cha-La instrumental, or find it on a CD somewhere? Amazing stuff. I'm sure it won't be that big of a deal to leave 'em in Japanese.
It's impossible to digitaly removing the dialog or singing from mastered track, re-recording will sound too much ankward and out of place compared to the rest of audio, different version will be pretty cheap for such release and it isn't presented anywhere on CD, also there are guys like colonel silver who tried their best to rip it from show and slice it and dice it and stick it again back together, but the quality really isn't great.....

So I don't know, leave it without audio is bad as well so maybe they'll do the same thing as on the French DVD uncut release, where all the cut parts have Japanese audio with French subtitles......

I think that the best thing will be using of original Jap. Dragon Box with only adding english subs which are flawless, for me this release is still not the definitive version for ''die-hard fan'' with the same dub only pasted over Japanese background music, used on Orange bricks and with Faulconer's music in the past....
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:53 pm

SSVegetto wrote:There is no way in heck I think they will get this right.
Why do I get the feeling that you're just bitter because they decided to leave out the the track which you liked? :roll:

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Rory wrote:
SSVegetto wrote:There is no way in heck I think they will get this right.
Why do I get the feeling that you're just bitter because they decided to leave out the the track which you liked? :roll:
Yeah he flat out said that too when he said he wasn't going to buy these sets because of the fact. Of course he's bitter. This fanbase has nothing but bitter fractions of this and that.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:05 pm

FuniYamcha wrote:I agree. Honestly, Funi could have just released these Dragon Boxes with the Japanese track only, then later made a set with the English +Faulconer Dub. Or, as I was hoping, they would just put the Faulconer dub along with the Japanese. From what I've seen, 98% of people either like the Japanese version, or the English with Faulconer music version; I haven't run into too many people who prefer the English Dub with Japanese BGM. I was looking forward to the Dragon Boxes for the same reasons as you in terms of video quality and everything else. Whether it be nostalgia holding me or whatever else, I still do have a soft spot for the dub and it's kind of a shame to see the English Dub/Japanese BGM red-headed step child (as someone called it) be a part of the Dragon Box. People are saying Faulconer fans can just go back to the Season Sets, but if the Season Sets weren't flawed, then there would have been no need for the Dragon Boxes to begin with. I suppose I'll wait for a couple more years, hoping Funi will release a "Faulconer Dragon Box" and read the manga in the meantime. Only 15 more years until I know how the sub fans have felt all this time. :D
I agree with you so much. Every time I see someone saying "Well that's why you have the remastered" sets or all of that shit, I feel like breaking something. They're missing the point entirely. With that logic, then sub fans also have the Remastered sets to watch the Japanese version on. Do you guys get what I'm saying here?
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:12 pm

So the old broadcast track goes the way of the old saban series version. I'm happy they're moving on away from it. They should have done it ages ago.

SuperSaiyan3Goku
Advanced Regular
Location: In the middle of nowhere, across from Planet Vegeta

Post by SuperSaiyan3Goku » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:21 pm

I'm just happy that we're getting the Dragonbox at all

So it doesn't have the music I'm accustomed to, I can live with it. I have some of my favorite Faulconer tracks from those "Best of" DBZ soundtracks. Watching the series with the Japanese music is going to be a new, refreshing way of watching the series.

I'm certainly getting this! :D
Next quest: Start collecting Dragon Ball Super Blu-Rays whenever season sets get released. Also the Super Manga!

Fan of Dragon Ball Z and various other Anime since '98! ^^

List of Anime I own or have watched - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/SSJ3Goku

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Sadly I guess no DBOX for me. Though I prefer the Japanese Music I still love the Faulconer music. I'm simply not willing to compromise that track. I guess my loyalties and preferences lie more so in the audio rather than the Video. It's a real shame. Guess I'm stuck with that cropped shit remaster that FUNimation had the audacity to call "The way it was meant to be seen". I am very disappointed by this turn of events.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Gozar wrote:Sadly I guess no DBOX for me. Though I prefer the Japanese Music I still love the Faulconer music. I'm simply not willing to compromise that track. I guess my loyalties and preferences lie more so in the audio rather than the Video. It's a real shame. Guess I'm stuck with that cropped shit remaster that FUNimation had the audacity to call "The way it was meant to be seen". I am very disappointed by this turn of events.
Maybe I'll buy you the first set.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:41 pm

Damn, straight. I'm more than bitter. This goes beyond bitter, I'm down right furious with Funimation. This is their last release of Dragonball Z. This is their perfect release of DBZ. So they should have it 100% complete. No excuses, now they freaked that up now. This is a nostalgic track. I just wish people would shut the heck up about saying there is two different fan bases. It's merely preferences here.

And their first mistake, the 7 eps per disc, which the Japanese Dragonbox had like 6 eps per dvd at the most. Leads to another mistake which is now they are removing a nostalgic track. See the pattern , one mistake leads to another. Also, the dragonball season 1 sets, they cropped a whole lot of picture out, but since it was 4:3, nobody seemed to care. And everyone gave it good ratings on amazon. Nobody noticed this? It's crazy. Off subject there, but I have feeling they will crop something on the dragonbox.

With that said I will get the Japanese Dragonbox some how or some way. And just put my own audios on there. And I will have the best version 100% complete. I will do everything myself since Funimation can't get anything right.

You can call me a cry baby if you want, but this is something Funimation should have done, I deserve the right to cry about it.
Last edited by SSVegetto on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:42 pm

DemonRin wrote:You hated the Menza score, so you watched the Japanese score track and got to like it for those episodes yes? Maybe the Japanese score will grow on your for later episodes. It's a possibility isn't it?
That's the reason why I'm mad at the dub score's exclusion in the first place - I already tried getting into the Japanese music for the later part of the series and, well, I didn't like it.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:42 pm

SSVegetto, you don't see people demanding the Ocean cast dub be included, or the Saban music, do you?

Also, if you're nostalgic for the Faulconer track, are you old enough to be posting here? Jeez, I was seventeen when the Funimation dub first aired. Way to make me feel old.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:46 pm

penguintruth wrote:SSVegetto, you don't see people demanding the Ocean cast dub be included, or the Saban music, do you?
I only request what Funimation has done or broadcasted. Excluding eps 1-54, 55-291, they themselves did and broadcasted on USA TV. So I at least expect all 3 audio tracks the ones they had from their widescreen ones to be on this one. This is a nostalgic track. Funimation has failed me.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:47 pm

I'm a bit confused about where the crazy idea that excluding the dub music is a "mistake" came from.

It doesn't belong there. If there's a stain on the bathroom wall, then it needs to be cleaned off, even if someone happens to think the shape of it is neat. FUNimation phasing the dub "music" out may make a handful of fans pissy, but it's a step in the right direction for treatment of the series itself.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:47 pm

SSVegetto wrote:
penguintruth wrote:SSVegetto, you don't see people demanding the Ocean cast dub be included, or the Saban music, do you?
I only request what Funimation has done or broadcasted. Excluding eps 1-54, 55-291, they themselves did and broadcasted on USA TV. So I at least expect all 3 audio tracks the ones they had from their widescreen ones to be on this one. This is a nostalgic track. Funimation has failed me.
But the Ocean dub is also "nostalgic".

Can I get a Schemen?

SSVegetto
Banned

Post by SSVegetto » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:49 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I'm a bit confused about where the crazy idea that excluding the dub music is a "mistake" came from.

It doesn't belong there. If there's a stain on the bathroom wall, then it needs to be cleaned off, even if someone happens to think the shape of it is neat. FUNimation phasing the dub "music" out may make a handful of fans pissy, but it's a step in the right direction for treatment of the series itself.

Dude, you are arguing your opinion on the audio. Which then of course would lead to a dub and sub discussion. I'm saying this, include all of the preferences on there. That way we can choose want we all want , and we can all be happy. You are entitled to that opinion. But for me and some other people. It's nostalgic for us. And there are some great scenes and moments for us.

There is no such thing as phasing something out. This is there last best quality release of dbz and it should be complete. Come on!

@penguintruth or whoever
Again, the Ocean dub was only broadcasted in other places. I'm only requesting that all three audios there were broadcasted here in the United States to be on here. I'm sure some people want spanish audio.

But since that wasn't broadcasted then it shouldn't be on there.
But all 3 choices should be on there. The ocean dub is not a Funimation track.
Last edited by SSVegetto on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:49 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:It doesn't belong there. If there's a stain on the bathroom wall, then it needs to be cleaned off, even if someone happens to think the shape of it is neat. FUNimation phasing the dub "music" out may make a handful of fans pissy, but it's a step in the right direction for treatment of the series itself.
The graffiti on the walls of Pompeii is a stain too. Just try removing it.

james039

Post by james039 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:49 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Alright so now that we know that the Dragon Box will feature only two tracks, what are some of your thoughts on the visual quality? Having listened to a podcast, I got the impression that the Japanese Dragon Boxes were not packed completely, so FUNimation MIGHT be able to pull it off. Do you think that the footage would be able to look the same with the amount of episodes per disc, an additional audio track (one not two...HA), subtitles (probably one set of subtitles, doing away with the dub ones), and POSSIBLY alternate angles (or if not, hopefully they keep the Japanese one!)? Do you think it's possible for FUNimation to keep the visual quality of the Dragon Boxes in Japan? Personally, it sucks that the Japanese audio is pretty bad quality on the Season Sets and the singles, but I'd sacrifice that to get the visual quality to be honest.

One more thing. Since they dubbed the GT music and are running with the whole "it's meant to be for Japanese fans!" do you think they would dub Cha-La-Head-Cha-La, We Gotta Power, Angel, and the first closing theme which I always forget the name of?
The footage should look fine as long as they don't do anything silly.

Silly being, any attempt to slip their English title cards in there on an alternate angle. This should be a 1-angle video release with Japanese original video as the only option. Titles should be translated in the soft-subtitle stream. Dual angle reduces bit-rate considerably, and Localization/US episode titles have *no* place in this set.

Simply put, if you turn off the subtitles and select Japanese audio, there should be no way to tell you aren't watching the R2 version of the Dragon Box.