Where can I watch Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pitzu
Beyond Newbie

Where can I watch Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans?

Post by Pitzu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:08 am

It's the one piece of Dragonball media I have never seen.
Where can I watch it?
[quote="Dub Vegeta"]I am a freaking genius[/quote]

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:14 am

I think it was in a DragonBox? (DragonBox the movies? :? ).
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Rami

Post by Rami » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:49 am

Do a search on Youtube, it'll pop right up. :D

<Link removed by moderator.>

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:17 am

I realize it's not exactly easy to find this thing legally, but it is available on either the Japanese Dragon Boxes, or even the original VHS tapes if you're lucky. Maybe someday it will be released more conveniently by FUNimation. Possibly someday soon as, say, one of the extras on their Dragon Boxes.

That said, you could probably find it otherwise if you really wanted to, but promoting pirated material is against the rules, here. So unless someone has other information to add, or links to auctions or something, I'm not sure there's much more to add to this thread.
-Rachel

Rami

Post by Rami » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:21 am

I didn't realize posting YouTube links counted as promoting pirated material. My bad, apparently...
"I'm starting to think Planet Namek is like the island on LOST [i]and you can never, ever leave.[/i]"

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:01 am

I remember I first saw this in third grade...I still cant get over that Goku said that Hatchiyak is 10x stronger than Broly.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Rami wrote:I didn't realize posting YouTube links counted as promoting pirated material. My bad, apparently...
I can understand why they removed it, but since it isn't available to us here without spending a huge lump of cash to import, I don't see the big deal.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:07 pm

Jon Jon wrote:
Rami wrote:I didn't realize posting YouTube links counted as promoting pirated material. My bad, apparently...
I can understand why they removed it, but since it isn't available to us here without spending a huge lump of cash to import, I don't see the big deal.
Because it is the right thing to do.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:31 pm

Jon Jon wrote:
Mike and crew did a good chunk of an episode on ethics in Dragon Ball fandom and this whole entitlement mentality about things like this. Good episode.
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Where can I watch Plan To Eradicate The Saiyans?

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Pitzu wrote:It's the one piece of Dragonball media
I think I see what you did there... If you actually did that there...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Pitzu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pitzu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:55 pm

Jon Jon wrote:
Isn't getting fansubs what everyone did before DB became popular and had merchandise everywhere, and isn't it what people still do for, I dunno.
Dragonball Kai?

How is this any different?
[quote="Dub Vegeta"]I am a freaking genius[/quote]

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:02 pm

Pitzu wrote:
Jon Jon wrote:
Isn't getting fansubs what everyone did before DB became popular and had merchandise everywhere, and isn't it what people still do for, I dunno.
Dragonball Kai?

How is this any different?
Yes, individual people do these things. Daizenshuu EX (i.e. Mike) wants nothing to do with promoting that sort of activity. He's not gonna come to your house, kick in your door, and smash your computer with a baseball bat if you, individually, decide to download Kai episodes or *cough* record them while they're streaming onto your computer live just like how you record things from TV onto VHS with a VCR for your own enjoyment within your own home *cough*. He just doesn't want people sharing that sort of thing here.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Jon Jon wrote:
Why is it the right thing to do? Normally I hate piracy, but in this case it's not like the person is stealing a profit from Toei. The only places this has been released is on VHS and the Japanese Dragon Boxes, both of which are out of print. If you imported either of those you wouldn't be making Toei any money, you'd be making money for some random guy who had nothing to do with the production of the product in question. I completely understand why EX doesn't want it linked to on his site, but I don't see how downloading or watching the Playdia footage online is wrong.
­

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:49 pm

Taku128 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
Jon Jon wrote: I can understand why they removed it, but since it isn't available to us here without spending a huge lump of cash to import, I don't see the big deal.
Why is it the right thing to do? Normally I hate piracy, but in this case it's not like the person is stealing a profit from Toei. The only places this has been released is on VHS and the Japanese Dragon Boxes, both of which are out of print. If you imported either of those you wouldn't be making Toei any money, you'd be making money for some random guy who had nothing to do with the production of the product in question. I completely understand why EX doesn't want it linked to on his site, but I don't see how downloading or watching the Playdia footage online is wrong.
The idea is that apparently companies see no profit in bringing a property over here if everyone's already downloaded it. In their eyes, not enough people are big enough fans of a series to buy a legit copy of something to replace the fansub once said legit copy becomes available.

As for the Playdia stuff, watching it illegally goes back to what I just said: if everyone downloads it then FUNimation will be less likely to pursue attaining the rights to distribute it legally. Sure, they've not gotten it yet, but the releases they've been putting out post-Barry Watson shows that they care about our requests and are more likely to go after it now.

EDIT: Also, pirating anime that hasn't made it to the US yet takes money away from the studios. Less money means crappier quality anime or less anime altogether. That's the story, anyway. It's probably part of why there's so much free legal anime streaming with advertisements now.
(they/she)

Taku128
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Taku128 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:01 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Taku128 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote: Because it is the right thing to do.
The idea is that apparently companies see no profit in bringing a property over here if everyone's already downloaded it. In their eyes, not enough people are big enough fans of a series to buy a legit copy of something to replace the fansub once said legit copy becomes available.

As for the Playdia stuff, watching it illegally goes back to what I just said: if everyone downloads it then FUNimation will be less likely to pursue attaining the rights to distribute it legally. Sure, they've not gotten it yet, but the releases they've been putting out post-Barry Watson shows that they care about our requests and are more likely to go after it now.

EDIT: Also, pirating anime that hasn't made it to the US yet takes money away from the studios. Less money means crappier quality anime or less anime altogether. That's the story, anyway. It's probably part of why there's so much free legal anime streaming with advertisements now.
It's Dragon Ball Z. If they released the Playdia footage they'd sell a bajillion copies, regardless of how many people downloaded fansubs of it. Downloading never stopped any of the movies from coming out, why would it only affect the playdia footage?
­

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:03 pm

Taku128 wrote:It's Dragon Ball Z. If they released the Playdia footage they'd sell a bajillion copies, regardless of how many people downloaded fansubs of it. Downloading never stopped any of the movies from coming out, why would it only affect the playdia footage?
There's probably some pricey legal junk in the way of easily attaining it.
(they/she)

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:12 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Taku128 wrote:It's Dragon Ball Z. If they released the Playdia footage they'd sell a bajillion copies, regardless of how many people downloaded fansubs of it. Downloading never stopped any of the movies from coming out, why would it only affect the playdia footage?
There's no real reason to assume that. There needs to be proof for that to be believable.

Toei appear to hold full rights to the footage in Japan. Without any evidence, there's no reason to assume Funimation couldn't sub-license the footage as they do everything else.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:18 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
There's no real reason to assume that. There needs to be proof for that to be believable.

Toei appear to hold full rights to the footage in Japan. Without any evidence, there's no reason to assume Funimation couldn't sub-license the footage as they do everything else.
There was pricey legal junk in the way of FUNi getting the DragonBox, but FUNi always told me something to the effect of, "Screw you. We're proud of the Orange Bricks, you nerd," whenever I asked about it. Still, a lot of us safely assumed that they couldn't get the DBox and we were right.

Why, if in the past Toei has refused to give FUNi certain footage, should I not assume that Toei might be refusing to give FUNi the Playdia stuff?
(they/she)

Sprite Satan
Regular

Post by Sprite Satan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:22 pm

Kendamu wrote:There was pricey legal junk in the way of FUNi getting the DragonBox, but FUNi always told me something to the effect of, "Screw you. We're proud of the Orange Bricks, you nerd," whenever I asked about it. Still, a lot of us safely assumed that they couldn't get the DBox and we were right.

Why, if in the past Toei has refused to give FUNi certain footage, should I not assume that Toei might be refusing to give FUNi the Playdia stuff?
Toei simply refusing to hand over the Playdia footage is entirely possible but it doesn't equate to the claim that downloading/watching it somewhere else potentially reduces potential profits from a sub-licencing of the footage leading to Funimation declining to buying the rights in the first place.

If the "pricey legal junk" you're referring to is simply the sub-licencing fee, well then, uh, yeah. That's going to be in the way of everything Funimation ever produce for any series.
Yamucha Densetsu - APRIL 8th Update - Goku is Yamucha and Yamucha is Goku
Further evidence to support the Yamucha-Goten lineage! Features badly Photoshopped images from Google search

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:27 pm

Sprite Satan wrote:
Kendamu wrote:There was pricey legal junk in the way of FUNi getting the DragonBox, but FUNi always told me something to the effect of, "Screw you. We're proud of the Orange Bricks, you nerd," whenever I asked about it. Still, a lot of us safely assumed that they couldn't get the DBox and we were right.

Toei simply refusing to hand over the Playdia footage is entirely possible but it doesn't equate to the claim that downloading/watching it somewhere else potentially reduces potential profits from a sub-licencing of the footage leading to Funimation declining to buying the rights in the first place.

If the "pricey legal junk" you're referring to is simply the sub-licencing fee, well then, uh, yeah. That's going to be in the way of everything Funimation ever produce for any series.
They're two different reasons to speculate on. They didn't jump on the Playdia stuff a long time ago when people asked for it, now pretty much everyone who wants to has seen it online. There might be no profit in it.

Then there's the idea that Toei may not want to give it to them. I mean, FUNi likely didn't get any of the DBox extras, right? Those extras didn't show up on the R2 singles, right? So, maybe Toei wants it to be super exclusive. I dunno.

I dunno why I'm even discussing this. I must be that bored here at work. I think Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans is a stupid story, anyway.
(they/she)