Dragon Ball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:55 pm

Raki and Innagadadavida, we'd all appreciate it if you guys stopped being the Li'l Crimestoppers defending the world from the evil and injustices of watching a show on Youtube because you can't afford it and let this thread get back on track.

Anyway, my main problem with GT is that it was just unnecessary and felt so forced. And there were so many good concepts with poor execution. Not to mention how many rehashes there were, such as the Baby saga rehashing the Garlic Jr. Saga, the entire Super 17 saga being a rehash of the Movie 12 plot, etc. And it was all about Goku.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:59 pm

Yeah, another thing with GT was that it actually did have a ton of great ideas...it's just that they weren't executed well.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've gotta make the next round of 1 vs. 100 on Xbox Live. :wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:14 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Raki and Innagadadavida, we'd all appreciate it if you guys stopped being the Li'l Crimestoppers defending the world from the evil and injustices of watching a show on Youtube because you can't afford it and let this thread get back on track.
If you can not afford it, that doesn't mean you're still entitled to watch it. Besides, if you can afford fast enough internet to watch streaming video, then I'm sure you can spare an extra $30 every now and then.

I don't know where you people are getting these words "crime" "evil." I never said any of that. I called him a leech, insinuated that he's not a productive contributing member of society, and said that he's part of a cancer that is killing the anime industry. Which is all true.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:22 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Which is all true.
And also really irrelevant to the topic of this thread. There was literally no point in even bringing it up. It's irrelevant. What he does in his free time is his business. Hell, I've watched plenty of Frieza saga episodes on YouTube in September 2007 when I was waiting for Season 3 to come out later that month, which I bought a week before street date. Am I a "bad member of society" or a "cancer to the anime industry." Just drop the whole shit because that preachy attitude is just annoying and unneeded from the beginning.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:26 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
And also really irrelevant to the topic of this thread.
Precise-a-mundo.

Let's all please drop it and move on with our lives... and the actual topic.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:27 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
And also really irrelevant to the topic of this thread. There was literally no point in even bringing it up. It's irrelevant. What he does in his free time is his business. Hell, I've watched plenty of Freeza saga episodes on YouTube in September 2007 when I was waiting for Season 3 to come out later that month, which I bought a week before street date. Am I a "bad member of society" or a "cancer to the anime industry." Just drop the whole shit because that preachy attitude is just annoying and unneeded from the beginning.
Hmm... No. And to tell the truth, I torrented Dragon Ball before the season sets. I was a leech. You were a leech. You are a leech until you do what you say you're going to do. I made a stink because he brought it up so casually, as if he didn't know or believe what he is doing is wrong.

But seriously, I'm not losing sleep over it.

But I'll bite. I'll talk about GT. It was okay. I liked the first saga, and the Baby saga was okay too. It helps if you don't really consider it a sequel. I do like Toriyama says. "It's a side story."

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:44 am

Wow is watching anime on the net really that bad?
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:46 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:Wow is watching anime on the net really that bad?
It is illegal. We'll leave the question at that and not derail the topic any further.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:58 am

I'm going to agree with the "wasted characters" angle. Too many characters were underused, like Gohan, Goten, Trunks and most definitely Uub. And yes, it's correct that Goku was made too powerful... brushing away Super Saiya-jin blasts without a second thought, battling two of the series greatest villains and base form like they were nothing.

I don't hate the series though... it's just more of a "what-if" for me. There were some legitmately cool scenes in the series, and some solid ideas. Especially the whole Dark Shen Long concept... it was the ultimate irony.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:10 am

Goku had too many jobbing moments in GT which made me dislike it the most it. As a stand alone anime, it's ok and I did like the idea of Goku as a kid again but they should have him as a Adult for the rest of GT in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:30 am

My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Travis Touchdown
Regular

Post by Travis Touchdown » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:14 pm

One of my little issues is everyone's refusal to give it their all.

When Goku & Trunks were fighting that giant... thing, they struggled in their base forms. The entire time, I was asking them politely through my TV to just turn into Super Saiyans. Trunks finally did when the giant tried to step on him, but once he lifted his foot off of him, he powered back down.

The same can be said about Goku. When he was fighting Rildo, Ridlo shot some blast that Goku had to power up to SSJ2 to block, then once it was taken care of, he powered back down. WHY?

Gohan & Vegeta didn't even try SSJ2, or at least, I don't think they did judging from how hard it is to tell with the way Toei animates it.

Gohan wouldn't turn into a Super Saiyan against Rildo and almost lost because of it.
"Hey girlfriend, why don't you throw a few more punches? Afraid you might break a nail or somethin?"
Ken - Street Fighter II

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:26 pm

GT could've been a great continuation to the Dragon Ball Z series. The problem was that it wasn't executed well, for reasons aforementioned.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:27 pm

Travis Touchdown wrote:One of my little issues is everyone's refusal to give it their all.

When Goku & Trunks were fighting that giant... thing, they struggled in their base forms. The entire time, I was asking them politely through my TV to just turn into Super Saiyans. Trunks finally did when the giant tried to step on him, but once he lifted his foot off of him, he powered back down.

The same can be said about Goku. When he was fighting Rildo, Ridlo shot some blast that Goku had to power up to SSJ2 to block, then once it was taken care of, he powered back down. WHY?

Gohan & Vegeta didn't even try SSJ2, or at least, I don't think they did judging from how hard it is to tell with the way Toei animates it.

Gohan wouldn't turn into a Super Saiyan against Rildo and almost lost because of it.
I'm going to go ahead and say that is probably a key reason in why it got cancelled in Japan. How much can you enjoy a show when it relies on artificial drama created by characters choosing not to effortlessly tap into the fact they're at least fifty times stronger?

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Duo wrote:
Travis Touchdown wrote:One of my little issues is everyone's refusal to give it their all.

I'm going to go ahead and say that is probably a key reason in why it got cancelled in Japan. How much can you enjoy a show when it relies on artificial drama created by characters choosing not to effortlessly tap into the fact they're at least fifty times stronger?
You can ignore it once in the Boo Saga, but once everyone starts jumping on the Gohan bandwagon in Dragon Ball GT to make way for Goku's "TOEI POWAAAA!!!! XD!", it does start to piss you off a little.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:40 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:You can ignore it once in the Boo Saga, but once everyone starts jumping on the Gohan bandwagon in Dragon Ball GT to make away for Goku's "TOEI POWAAAA!!!! XD!", it does start to piss you off a little.
It's also just horrible writing. When a plot device you want to use is un-usable because another character can handle the situation, you don't just have them act retarded to make the plot device necessary. You have to create extra plot to justify the plot device.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:50 pm

Toei always seem to have that problem with the transformations... like in Movies 5... and 6.... not to mention 7 and 10.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:52 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:GT could've been a great continuation to the Dragon Ball Z series. The problem was that it wasn't executed well, for reasons aforementioned.
But it's not and never really was intended to be.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:56 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Toei always seem to have that problem with the transformations... like in Movies 5... and 6.... not to mention 7 and 10.
Movie 5 is justified because it was trying to mirror the battle with Freeza, which means he can't just "transform on a whim". The rest, however...

Well, I can understand trying to conserve Ki, but there really aren't too many mirroring examples of this in the main DBZ story that are coming to mind that didn't at least have some background reason (Gohan not using Ssj2 against Dabura, Trunks waiting until Cell knocked Vegeta out).

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Raki wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:GT could've been a great continuation to the Dragon Ball Z series. The problem was that it wasn't executed well, for reasons aforementioned.
But it's not and never really was intended to be.
How do you know what TOEI intended it to be?