The boring parts?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:52 am

Off the top of my head...

Trunks vs. Freeza. I would've preferred it if they just did it the way it was in the manga.

The pointless Namek arc filler. Seriously, what was the point of Fake Namek and the Space Orphans? :?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:35 pm

Piccolo Daimao wrote:Off the top of my head...

Trunks vs. Freeza. I would've preferred it if they just did it the way it was in the manga.

The pointless Namek arc filler. Seriously, what was the point of Fake Namek and the Space Orphans? :?
To set up Freeza and to give Bulma a little more screentime.

EDIT: Cool! I'm already at post 150!
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:57 am

IncompetentOverlord wrote:

To set up Freeza and to give Bulma a little more screentime.

EDIT: Cool! I'm already at post 150!
I know, but still. Just awful. :(
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

samuraigundam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuraigundam » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:42 pm

russ869 wrote: If I remember correctly don't most dub fans hold it as the greatest moment of the series because the "epic Falconer music?" Or something...
Well, the Faulconer music did give that scene an epic feel, and that is actually why I remember it.

I'm a fan of both scores, but sometimes in moments like these, Kikuchi's score just fell a little flat in comparison.
Together!
Allegiance or Death!!
BIG FIRE!!!
-The Magnificent Ten,Giant Robo

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:25 pm

samuraigundam wrote:
russ869 wrote: If I remember correctly don't most dub fans hold it as the greatest moment of the series because the "epic Falconer music?" Or something...
Well, the Faulconer music did give that scene an epic feel, and that is actually why I remember it.

I'm a fan of both scores, but sometimes in moments like these, Kikuchi's score just fell a little flat in comparison.
You know, I think I was paying attention to the (Faulconer) music at that point, and I don't even remember what was playing for that scene. Actually... I remember there being dramatic silence at some point, for some reason. :?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:41 pm

samuraigundam wrote: Well, the Faulconer music did give that scene an epic feel, and that is actually why I remember it.
Moments like that for me really cement the idea that we're watching a different show for different reasons, Vegeta's final flash against Cell was a rather forgettable moment in the original Japanese version, but for no reason other than a character theme (that had already appeared prior) playing during the FUNimation dub version, it's almost universally praised by dub fans as a landmark moment in the series.

Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie

Re: The boring parts?

Post by Satan-Sama » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Chrono Trigger wrote:As a whole the parts I find the most boring/uninteresting are the events from the 16 vs Cell fight all the through the Vegeta vs 2nd Form Cell. If there is one portion of the series that bores me to tears it’s gotta be that stretch. I’ve never really cared for 16 as a character and watching Vegeta beat up on Cell just puts me to sleep. I know a lot of fights in DBZ are one sided but this one takes the cake.
16 I do like, so I'll dissagree with that. But I'm all the way with you on Vegeta vs Stage 2 Cell. That fight was utterly anemic and uninspired, especially in the anime. Good choice there.

If there's anything else I could add, there is ONE and only one bit if filler from the original DB anime that I absolutely do not like at all; the "build up" to Goku vs Panputto. Dear god, way to waste an entire episode on what is essentially a glorified Budokai prelim match that just so happened to have wound up in the actual tournament itself. Panputto was basically a prelim jobber that lucked his way into the actual tournament, and they build an entire filler ep "developing" a character that is destined to just get knocked out in one punch.

I mean, I understand that that was the joke, but it just got taken WAY too far in the anime. It was basically the DB equivalent of a Don King-fixed boxing match: lots of pre-fight hype and build up for an actual match that consists of an overpowered and over-trained monster clobbering a nameless stooge in a matter of milliseconds. That episode is the epitome of skipable.
Not only do I totally agree with what you said, but I love how you said "prelim jobber" hahaha, couldn't have put it better my self.

With that said, the fake Namek episodes and Space Children episodes made me want to rip my hair out. Also the whole Red Ribbon Army saga in Dragon Ball was very stretched out.
KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
AND HE IS LOOKING MONDO COOL!
SO DON'T BE CRAMPIN' HIS STYLE!

samuraigundam
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuraigundam » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:44 am

Captain Awesome wrote:
samuraigundam wrote: Well, the Faulconer music did give that scene an epic feel, and that is actually why I remember it.
Moments like that for me really cement the idea that we're watching a different show for different reasons, Vegeta's final flash against Cell was a rather forgettable moment in the original Japanese version, but for no reason other than a character theme (that had already appeared prior) playing during the FUNimation dub version, it's almost universally praised by dub fans as a landmark moment in the series.
Since I enjoy both versions of the show, I wouldnt say we view the show differently. We are both watching the show for the characters and the story - the music is there to accent our enjoyment. If that music ( be it the original score, or something different ) gives a certain moment that little something extra, and by doing so makes it worth remembering, should it matter who composed it? Should that then create a divide between fans? I think not. Also, unlike some, I do not think it is one of the greatest moments in the English dub of the show, but it is at least memorable.

Truthfully ( and this is not aimed at you ) , this is only a big deal in the minds of those who believe that being a true fan means you must only like every single factor of the original product, and shun even the smallest change to that product, even if its something relatively insignificant, such as the music. Thats not to say that the music in DB is not a factor in the enjoyment of the show, but a true fan should, in my opinion, be defined as someone who ( as I mentioned above ) enjoys a product like this for its characters and story, which is the true core of this creation. Just look at those who enjoy the Manga.

I also dont see anyone raising a ruckus over the new Kai score. Why? Well, I hope its not just because its composed by a fellow citizen of Japan. Although that might be a factor, I dont think anyone here is that over - zealous. :)
Last edited by samuraigundam on Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Together!
Allegiance or Death!!
BIG FIRE!!!
-The Magnificent Ten,Giant Robo

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:48 am

I actually liked Space Orphans arc since it was pretty interesting. To me, anyway.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:16 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:52 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:

I actually liked Space Orphans arc since it was pretty interesting. To me, anyway.
I'm also gonna have to go on record as liking the space orphans, if for no other reason than they served as a MUCH cooler means of building up to/introducing Freeza and his army.
That actually makes a ton of sense, and certainly gives the DB Universe a bit more full-ness...
Somehow, though, I wind up being more interested in the Fake Namek bit. I'm not really sure why... but seeing as the Space Orphans tie into the overall story and such, and Fake Namek is just a detour... I guess it's not for details. :(. Maybe it's the constant adventurey challenge-ness of Fake Namek? While it didn't advance the overall plot, it had constant challenges for the main characters, while not-fake Namek actually had a lot of stalling and didn't move as many people at once after Dodoria gets taken out up to the Ginyu body-switch.
I have no idea what I'm trying to say, or... ur... why, but I find it tons of ironic given how I am about world-building, so I'll post it. :?

Ur... yeah. The fight with Ginyu still manages not to interest me much. :cry:
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).