The boring parts?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:25 pm

The Red Ribbon Army and the Freeza Saga were boring imo. For the most part.

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:53 pm

Man, I really liked the RRA arc in both the manga and anime. As for Blue being drawn out.... well, just compare it to a villain longetivity in Z, and and it seems a lot better.

I absolutely HATE the Piccolo vs. Cell fight. For me, it's the first really boring part of the series. Garlic Jr. Arc had better fight choreography...

I also intensely dislike Trunks vs. Freeza-sama, but I suspect I wouldn't care so much if I wasn't a Freeza super fan.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:01 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote: I absolutely HATE the Piccolo vs. Cell fight. For me, it's the first really boring part of the series. Garlic Jr. Arc had better fight choreography...
I don't even think of that as a fight so much as a confrontation. In that sense, I find it more dramatic, what with the plot and character and such...
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:38 pm

Besides all filler, I'd have to say that I'm almost completely fucking sick of DBZ season one.

Let's recap my life for a second:

-Original broadcast of DBZ Season One
-Rerun of original broadcast
-SECOND RERUN OF ORIGINAL BROADCAST
*time passes*
-Ultimate uncut editions
-Orange Boxes
-Abridged
-Kai
-Dragon Boxes

GOD DAMN SON.

I mean, I'm watching it in Dragon Box quality for the first time, but I've already watched it twice (technically three times) in Japanese, and twice in a more condensed version. I'm sure when I get to the Vegeta fight on my Dragon Box I'll love it all over again, but I've seen these episodes way too many times.

I've only watched the Kid Buu saga once, dubbed. I'd love to watch that, but it's going to be forever until the Dragon Box of those episodes is released :?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:12 am

jjgp1112 wrote:Vegeta vs. Imperfect Cell, at least in the anime. It was just a whole bunch of nothing happening, and one of the episodes for it was one of the worst animated episodes in the whole show.
What has always dumbfounded me about that fight, is how almost universally loved it is by dub fans, I've seen countless dubbies place Vegeta's final flash against Cell on a pedestal as one of the greatest moments in the series.

I agree completely with your sentiments though, it took too long, nothing happened and it had some absolutely woeful animation.

Ultimate_DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ultimate_DB_Fan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:03 am

Captain Awesome wrote: What has always dumbfounded me about that fight, is how almost universally loved it is by dub fans, I've seen countless dubbies place Vegeta's final flash against Cell on a pedestal as one of the greatest moments in the series.
Because it was one of the greatest moments in the series. :wink:
Vegeta comes to the realization that him letting Cell become perfect was stupid, as well as knowing deep down that all the training done in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber was for nothing.
It was all the more awesome do in part by Sabat's performance.
It's understandable why some would find the confrontation between the two slightly boring, but that's the way the anime did things. I'm sure a good majority of viewers were used to it by that point.
Last edited by Ultimate_DB_Fan on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:04 am

I've only watched the Kid Buu saga once, dubbed. I'd love to watch that, but it's going to be forever until the Dragon Box of those episodes is released
Mid 2011, I'd say... which seems to be when everything cool is coming out!
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:50 pm

Everything from Cell going Perfect until he dies. Funnily enough, I really enjoy the character of Perfect Cell, but the way the story goes after he absorbs both 17 and 18, I can't stand. I tend to skip right to the first bit with Gohan going to high school, both in the manga and anime.
Trunks & Goten forever

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:07 pm

caejones wrote:
IncompetentOverlord wrote: I absolutely HATE the Piccolo vs. Cell fight. For me, it's the first really boring part of the series. Garlic Jr. Arc had better fight choreography...
I don't even think of that as a fight so much as a confrontation. In that sense, I find it more dramatic, what with the plot and character and such...
I consider it a fight, because they do kind of... fight

Yes it is dramatic, but there are plenty of other ways it could have been done better. For example, If they were going for a standoff feel, why not look to westerns for inspiration and have the characters trade introductions, then pause before a super intense bout, then ending dialogue.

I would also like to add to my list Goku and Gohan's training in the room of Spirit and Time. People always point to Goten and Trunks cheapening SSJ, but Gohan was doing it first.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Pretty much the entirety of General Blue's appearances. It's nothing really to do with the character, I just find most of it (especially the pirate stuff) a chore to read.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Let's see... for me,

- Red Ribbon arc

- Namek arc filler (Bulma vs. the giant crab, the Freeza fight stretched out to 30 episodes) ... the actual arc itself is great, but a good deal of the episodes can be easily skipped.

- the down time between the Android fight and Cell's first appearance (where 16, 17, & 18 are driving around for a long ass time, while Goku is being moved to Kame House.)

- the pre-Cell Games filler (the Tao Pai Pai puzzle and the episode where Gohan meets Lime were totally LAME)

- Most of the Saiyaman episodes (to be fair, most of the manga parts of this were somewhat boring too) ... I don't care about Gohan saving dinosaurs or whatever...

I actually never minded the filler arcs like Garlic Jr. or the Afterlife tournament, probably because the characters were at least doing SOMETHING...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:56 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
- Namek arc filler (Bulma vs. the giant crab, the Freeza fight stretched out to 30 episodes) ... the actual arc itself is great, but a good deal of the episodes can be easily skipped.
... Yeah. :cry:
I kinda wanna watch Bulma and the Crab redubbed, though... I've not seen it since like, that Namek Saga Marathon from like 1999 or 2000...
So, I was watching the Journey-to-Namek filler, and I realized... Fake Namek and the Space Orphans are awesome. Actually, it was the twists and cliffhangers in Fake Namek that got me to keep watching the series in the first place... and despite the bad rep Fake Namek tends to get, I still like it (Though the Saban/Ocean-era version made Raiti and Zakro sound a little more intelligent from time to time...).
- the down time between the Android fight and Cell's first appearance (where 16, 17, & 18 are driving around for a long ass time, while Goku is being moved to Kame House.)
This... happens a lot, where we'll hit a drawn-out part of the series, and I'll finally miss the first actual plot episode in a series of Daziness. It happened in the Freeza Fight, and I missed Goku's SSJ Transformation. And here, I missed Goku getting up and the plan to use the RoSaT. (Though... I think I was grounded in the case of the latter... ).
- the pre-Cell Games filler (the Tao Pai Pai puzzle and the episode where Gohan meets Lime were totally LAME)
Somewhy, having Gohan and Lyme in the same place there without any other castmembers involved was awesome. Eh... I dunno.
(TaoPaipai's puzzle says o.o. )
- Most of the Saiyaman episodes (to be fair, most of the manga parts of this were somewhat boring too) ... I don't care about Gohan saving dinosaurs or whatever...
Eh, yeah. And--
I actually never minded the filler arcs like Garlic Jr. or the Afterlife tournament, probably because the characters were at least doing SOMETHING...

... Wait, how do these differ from the Saiyaman stuff? :P.

Ooh, I sound like a nitpicky fuss. -_- That's not my intention!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:16 pm

Interesting that nobody's mentioned the 28th Budokai yet.

Granted, that might be because it's way too short to drag on, and even though I consider it by far the worst, most meritless portion of Dragon Ball it's not exactly boring. To me, though, the 28th Budokai is when Toriyama's fatigue really starts shining through. A lot of people say it's obvious during Buu and maybe even Cell that he's getting tired, but I think Toriyama did a great job of working through his slight (Or otherwise) exhaustion during the Buu arc and put out a story that's just as good as anything else in Dragon Ball. It's the 28th Budokai that I start getting vibes of "Fuck it, I don't care, let's get this done." Probably because at that point the finish line was right there in sight, wheras during much of Buu closing up the series was still a fairly distant prospect.

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:21 pm

But in that last mini-story you get leather jacket Vegeta, scholar Gohan, out-of-the-closet Goten and Trunks, doting grandpa Mr. Satan...that's probably one of my favorite parts of the series, seeing how everyone ends up.
Trunks & Goten forever

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:48 pm

caejones wrote: So, I was watching the Journey-to-Namek filler, and I realized... Fake Namek and the Space Orphans are awesome. Actually, it was the twists and cliffhangers in Fake Namek that got me to keep watching the series in the first place... and despite the bad rep Fake Namek tends to get, I still like it (Though the Saban/Ocean-era version made Raiti and Zakro sound a little more intelligent from time to time...).
I actually like the Space Orphans/Fake Namek episodes overall, they're some of the first episodes of Z I ever watched (waaay back during 96-97 syndication)... I think the Space Orphans did a good job of building up the menace of Freeza and his armies. Fake Namek has some funny moments in it, and the scenes of Goku training while he's supposed to be recovering are still pretty funny.

I just don't like the filler smack-dab in the middle of big events (like Gohan, Kuririn and Bulma on the run from Vegeta, oh noes, A GIANT CRAB!) and the constant flashbacks during the Goku/Freeza fight made it about 5-10 episodes too long.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:57 pm

I personally thought the whole ordeal with Krillin's girlfriend before he married 18 was very boring. Otherwise, everything else was pretty exciting. Every time I watch Goku Transform into SSJ 3 its spectacular! :D

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:59 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:
I actually like the Space Orphans/Fake Namek episodes overall, they're some of the first episodes of Z I ever watched (waaay back during 96-97 syndication)... I think the Space Orphans did a good job of building up the menace of Freeza and his armies. Fake Namek has some funny moments in it, and the scenes of Goku training while he's supposed to be recovering are still pretty funny.

I just don't like the filler smack-dab in the middle of big events (like Gohan, Kuririn and Bulma on the run from Vegeta, oh noes, A GIANT CRAB!) and the constant flashbacks during the Goku/Freeza fight made it about 5-10 episodes too long.
I need to watch Bulma and the Crab again to form an opinion. XD.
But yeah... Freeza fight drags.
Sometimes I like intrusive filler, if it can keep things interesting (sometimes breaking from a fight makes it more awesome when returning...), but... then we get a lot of random "Oh holycrap those power levels are crazy~! The planet is shaking~!" sequences that last for minutes. . . In pretty much every... single... significant battle.
With the first Vegeta fight, it helped keep track of the cast as they moved around, since people were coming and going and such.
But with Freeza and Cell... lame. A little bit of dramatic buildup is great, but do we really need to pad half the episode with reactions to the first ten seconds, and the remaining half with the reacting to the middle ten seconds? With maybe another ten seconds of plot at the end?

Huh. Why... don't I feel like the Buu saga suffered from this?
I've recently read people saying the Buu Saga felt rushed. Might this be why? (I think people brought up the manga, though.)

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:41 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Tue May 03, 2011 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

russ869
Beyond Newbie

Post by russ869 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Kendamu wrote:I generally don't find the "Ginyu is Goku and Goku is Ginyu" to be too exciting.
Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that the Goku-is-Ginyu VS Kuririn & Gohan fight has one of the best looking Toei flurry-o-fists animation loops of the Namek arc, I probably wouldn't find it so interesting.
Captain Awesome wrote:What has always dumbfounded me about that fight, is how almost universally loved it is by dub fans, I've seen countless dubbies place Vegeta's final flash against Cell on a pedestal as one of the greatest moments in the series.

I agree completely with your sentiments though, it took too long, nothing happened and it had some absolutely woeful animation.
If I remember correctly don't most dub fans hold it as the greatest moment of the series because the "epic Falconer music?" Or something...

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:58 pm

I was just rewatching the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, and the episode where Piccolo releases his... er, crap, I forgot the name of it, but the attack that pretty much leaves Papaya Island a wasteland, pretty much epitomized Drag-on Ball. I wouldn't be surprised if this is where this style originated. Constant slack-jawed murmuring character reaction shots, and, yes, it took literally the entire first act for Ma Junior to unleash that thing. The entire first act is Ma Junior grabbing himself and yelling, Goku yelling for everyone to run away, and everyone else standing there like a bunch of idiots. Ma Junior unleashes the blast... and eyecatch! We're now into the second half of the episode! Hope you enjoyed that!

Of course, I can't really consider that a boring part of the story since it's fine in the manga, but that half an episode is just horrible!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2