Your rewrite of the Dragon Ball manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Methinks if Rocketman put as much effort into coming up with his own ideas as he did looking for flaws in other people's, this would be a fun thread.
He gave his idea: killing Gohan.

Guy's got a real hate-on for that character.

On that note, adding to my "keep Gohan the hero after Cell", I would still have Goku return and train Uub. Gohan would probably still turn away from fighting unless he really had to, and Goku would want to train somebody to challenge Gohan in the future, if only at the tournament, believing if he had a rival, Gohan might return to training.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:39 pm

Oh, how I love fanfiction. That's basically what all of this is ^^ So there's all manner of things I'd do, but they really have no bearing on anything.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:00 am

fig404 wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:I'd give Vegetto a one day limit because Vegeta is alive for one day.
This has my vote.
None of that "magic in Buu's body de-fused us" crap.
You have no idea how I hated this farfetched reason.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:22 am

"Hey Toriyama, you ever thought of going back to gag manga? No, no, not like Dr. Slump, more adult oriented stuff. Like Lady Red but more hardcore? You remember Lady Red right? Good becausel I was thinking if you could tweak Dragonball a bit..."

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:26 am

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
fig404 wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:I'd give Vegetto a one day limit because Vegeta is alive for one day.
This has my vote.
None of that "magic in Buu's body de-fused us" crap.
You have no idea how I hated this farfetched reason.
"This fusion is permanent as long as you keep the earrings on".

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:15 am

Rocketman wrote:"This fusion is permanent as long as you keep the earrings on".
Perfect. That's exactly what I would do. The whole "Permanent regardless" is not only stupid and unwanted, it was also a lie.

As for the topic at hand, I would have the earthlings participate some more. Ten, Yamcha, Krillin, Piccolo, Chichi, Roshi, Oolong, blah blah, so much wasted potential sitting on the sidelines rooting for Goku. Why can't we have more fights like Piccolo vs 17. Y'know, great fights with secondary/minor characters.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:55 am

Innagadadavida wrote:
Perfect. That's exactly what I would do. The whole "Permanent regardless" is not only stupid and unwanted, it was also a lie.
I would've vastly preferred Vegetto stay fused. But if that wasn't going to happen, what I said there is the next-best.
As for the topic at hand, I would have the earthlings participate some more. Ten, Yamcha, Krillin, Piccolo, Chichi, Roshi, Oolong, blah blah, so much wasted potential sitting on the sidelines rooting for Goku. Why can't we have more fights like Piccolo vs 17. Y'know, great fights with secondary/minor characters.
Because anything on Tien's level would be annihilated by a Super Saiyan waving his willy about.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:53 am

I would have liked to have seen some more character development and more signs of it. Like, Vegeta got the most Character development (I think) in the Boo Arc, but there wasn't enough done to show it. I think during his final monologue he had (the "Kakarott, you are Number 1" thing) if he had realized that Son isn't the same kind of Saiyan he was, and actually called him "Son Goku". I think the simple act of Vegeta switching from his Saiyan name to his Earth name would have been symbolic of Vegeta's newfound respect and feelings of the situation, and would have made for some good closure of his character.

Just a lot of little character nuances like that. GT did a good job of that in the very last episode (which is like... the only ep of GT to get a lot right...) when they had Son visit Piccolo in Hell and they had that hand shake, and he and Kuririn's "Fight" before he left, those were touching in a sweet way, and nice ways to close the character interactions out. I would have liked to see a lot more of that in DB proper.

I'm also on the bandwagon that the Non-Saiyan characters shouldn't have gotten the shaft like they did.

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:38 am

But that makes accidental fusion not as funny! :(
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:39 am

IncredibleGuy wrote: The original Dragon Ball may have been influenced by humor and goofy situations (Drunken Master I believe is the movie Toriyama cited in its creation), but DBZ is about as cliche as you can get - Last of a race, oppressed by an unruly tyrant, transformed by emotional connections to his friends, blah, blah, blah. But like you said, "It basically only takes itself seriously enough to be considered a fighting/action manga instead of a comical one", which for me is too serious. The plot simply isn't strong enough to exist without a notable amount of humor. And the fight scenes that make up the bulk of this serious demeanor are simply too long, and too numerous, even in the manga.

Satan was a nice touch, as was Saiyaman, and SS3 Gotenks, but how much of an impact did these people have on the bulk of the story? Practically nothing! For every 5 minutes of humor there's about 100 minutes of drawn out fight scenes, story recanting, and grunting. And for good reason, it sells!

You say real fans don't take DBZ seriously? Bologna! DBZ's fanbase is primarily teenage and prebuscent boys. Hell, even a lot of the people on this board consider Dragon Ball's overall plot to be novel worthy material as they move well into adulthood.

Let me be clear, however, because I know DBZ isn't the most serious anime on the planet. But a few sight gags now and then aren't enough to make up for the fact that on the whole Dragon Ball post Raditz is pretty boring.
Well, for one, I think you need to separate the anime from the manga.

The manga doesn`t drag at all. Its a very fast paced manga in fact. Consequently, the manga equivalent of DBZ is a perfect mix of seriousness and goofiness, as far as I`m concerned, because the fighting doesn`t really drag.
Its serious enough for the fights to matter (and make the reader interested in the outcome) and goofy enough for the reader to realize how lightly the manga takes itself.
In fact, thats the all point of the entire story/manga. It entertains the reader with a good amount of humor and goofiness that influences all the manga, but it also entertains the reader with good enough and serious enough action/fights.
Without these two elements, it wouldn`t be Dragon Ball at all. And frankly saying that the story it not strong enough to stand on its own without humor doesn`t make sense at all. If the author wanted to do a serious fighting manga without humor we would do it. He would simply create a story fitting of a total serious fighting manga and he would do it. But he simply doesn`t want that. Thats not what he likes to do. He primarily likes gag manga, which is the premise of Dragon Ball, he just added some seriousness later on to make the fights matter and keep the reader interested in the outcome. But Dragon Ball never lost its goofiness and its obvious that it never took itself too seriously.

In all honesty I can not agree with you, and you also need to separate the fan base from the story. Just because there are a lot of fans out there who are adolescents and take the action of the manga too seriously that doesn`t mean that the manga or the author take it that seriously, and that is evidently in Dragon Ball.

The main reason why I don`t agree with you is simply because one of the reasons why I love Dragon Ball so much is its goofiness and the fact that it never takes itself too seriously. It just blends perfectly the action with the goofiness, the same way it blends perfectly sfi-fi with supernatural and mythology. Its a rather unique mix which I love.

And you stating the contrary... Well... I just can´t agree at all.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:21 pm

Rocketman wrote:Because anything on Tenshinhan's level would be annihilated by a Super Saiyan waving his willy about.
Oh, thank you for clearing that up. I didn't know that because I'm really really stupid.

Seriously, can you not let anybody have any fun at all? Do you have to make a comment about everything?

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:24 pm

I'd make it all about the Tenkaichi Budoukai.

And the training, and the aliens participating.

baragon_kun
Beyond Newbie

Post by baragon_kun » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:25 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:First thing I'd change is little Chichi's outfit because it gives Pedophilia for readers. :lol:
Or having adult chichi wear that outfit in the piccolo jr saga, or as a fanservice in Z

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Innagadadavida wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Because anything on Tenshinhan's level would be annihilated by a Super Saiyan waving his willy about.
Oh, thank you for clearing that up. I didn't know that because I'm really really stupid.

Seriously, can you not let anybody have any fun at all? Do you have to make a comment about everything?
There are a million billion stories where humans do everything. There's only one story with Saiyans and Namekians.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 am

Rocketman wrote:There are a million billion stories where humans do everything. There's only one story with Saiyans and Namekians.
There is not a million billion stories with Tenshinhan or Krillin. Two people who work hard, harder than Saiyans or Namekians, and get to sit on the sidelines for it.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:01 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Two people who work hard, harder than Saiyans or Namekians
Since when? Krillin never did any gravity training, and after King Kai's regimen, Tien just hung around with his butt-buddy in the forest all day. Does Tien even use the Time Chamber?

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:05 am

Rocketman wrote:Does Tenshinhan even use the Time Chamber?
Assuming that this wasn't a rhetorical question, no, he opted to pass on training in the RoSaT.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:12 am

Rocketman wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:Two people who work hard, harder than Saiyans or Namekians
Since when? Krillin never did any gravity training, and after King Kai's regimen, Tenshinhan just hung around with his butt-buddy in the forest all day. Does Tenshinhan even use the Time Chamber?
Seriously Rocketman. I like Tenshinhan and I like Krillin. I would like to see some more time spent on them. That's just my personal preference. It does not change the story. Can you just let me say that without having to make some smart ass remark, please?

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:15 am

Innagadadavida wrote:Seriously Rocketman. I like Tenshinhan and I like Krillin. I would like to see some more time spent on them. That's just my personal preference. It does not change the story. Can you just let me say that without having to make some smart ass remark, please?
Alright. Seriouspost though, you don't think Krillin got enough screentime? He's pretty omnipresent.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:18 am

Rocketman wrote:
Innagadadavida wrote:Seriously Rocketman. I like Tenshinhan and I like Krillin. I would like to see some more time spent on them. That's just my personal preference. It does not change the story. Can you just let me say that without having to make some smart ass remark, please?
Alright. Seriouspost though, you don't think Krillin got enough screentime? He's pretty omnipresent.
Yeah, but he was just a cheer leader. I'd like more like his role in Movie 11.