Character Designs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Character Designs

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:52 am

Which character designs do you think should've been changed in Dragon Ball? Excluding GT, for the sake of keeping this thread sane.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:30 am

I've never cared much for Buu Saga Chichi. Go back to your old hairstyle, wrapping things up in a bun makes you look a lot worse, not to mention quite a bit older than 35. I'm okay with a bunch of other things commonly hated upon (Lookin' good, Yellow Suit Yamucha), but Chichi's late series design is the only one that comes to mind that I dislike.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:18 am

Dr. Casey wrote:I've never cared much for Buu Saga Chichi. Go back to your old hairstyle, wrapping things up in a bun makes you look a lot worse, not to mention quite a bit older than 35. I'm okay with a bunch of other things commonly hated upon (Lookin' good, Yellow Suit Yamucha), but Chichi's late series design is the only one that comes to mind that I dislike.
What about Chichi after the Boo saga? Mraowr.

I'm not sure there are any designs I hate, they're all great and colourful.

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:36 am

I like Cell's character design, but I never thought it made sense for what he is.

Wasn't he created using the cells of the strongest fighters that were on earth? (I don't have an exact list of which characters) Why is it that all of his forms look nothing like any of them? The closest similarities I can think of is that he's green like Piccolo, and he has a tail like Freeza. Overall, he's pretty insect-like, despite that none of the cells were taken from insects.
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:20 pm

Do something to make Chibi and Super Boo more distinguished from one another other then size..

More variation in Goku's outfits. I love his alternate in Burst Limit (reverses the blue and orange, like Vegetto), and the one he has at the 28th Tenka'ichi Budokai. After the fight with Freeza he should have changed more then just his belt.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:05 pm

Satan could have been more original.

I dunno, DB is full of sameface, but it's never really bothered me.
fig404 wrote:Overall, he's pretty insect-like, despite that none of the cells were taken from insects.
Maybe because that "Freeza tail" has a massive stinger on it that sucks the life out of things...?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

IncompetentOverlord
Beyond Newbie

Post by IncompetentOverlord » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:51 pm

I say that pretty much all of Gohan's hairstyles should be changed so they don't blatantly rip off Yamucha. Also Gyumao should have kept his original outfit. Perhaps if he looked cooler, then Toriyama would elevate him past the level of occasional cameo character.
Stuff I Know About: Hellsing, Detective Conan, Macross, GaoGaiGar, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Kaiji, Hetalia, Fullmetal Alchemist, Captain Harlock, Digimon, Berserk, Dragon Ball, One Piece, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cyborg 009, Lupin III, Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman, Discworld, Avatar: The Last Airbender, TMNT, Futurama, Invader Zim, South Park, Sandman, Marvel, DC, Scott Pilgrim, Star Wars, Godzilla, Doctor Who, Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Kingdom Hearts, and Sonic the Hedgehog

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:28 pm

IncompetentOverlord wrote: Also Gyumao should have kept his original outfit. Perhaps if he looked cooler, then Toriyama would elevate him past the level of occasional cameo character.
I don't know, I kinda like the fact that he shifts into 'Grampa mode'.
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:16 pm

And what's the deal with Mrs. Briefs never aging?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote:And what's the deal with Mrs. Briefs never aging?
She was an subject for Capsule Corp's short-lived genetics department, and underwent an experimental procedure to disable an "aging gene."

It was successful, but had the unfortunate side effect of screwing around with her mental capacities, resulting in her being... well, a little ditzy. Dr. Brief, upstanding guy that he is, took a liking to her and married her so he could take care of her.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:37 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Khalid Shahin wrote:And what's the deal with Mrs. Briefs never aging?
She was an subject for Capsule Corp's short-lived genetics department, and underwent an experimental procedure to disable an "aging gene."

It was successful, but had the unfortunate side effect of screwing around with her mental capacities, resulting in her being... well, a little ditzy.
The perfect woman...
Satan and Nappa barely look alike, that picture isn't even official...

Mr. Satan looks more like King Chappa.

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:48 pm

I thought Chi-chi was extremely hot in the Buu saga.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:17 pm

I like all the designs in GT, sometimes for no other reason than they're all different than Z's.

Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Satan-Sama » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:58 pm

I wish they changed up Piccolo's outfit throughout the series, at least by a little bit. It was the same thing from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai all the way to the end of Kid Buu. I mean they could have at least changed the color of his obi, to red like it is in the manga and in some of the movies.
KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
AND HE IS LOOKING MONDO COOL!
SO DON'T BE CRAMPIN' HIS STYLE!

Armymanis
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Armymanis » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Satan-Sama wrote:I wish they changed up Piccolo's outfit throughout the series, at least by a little bit. It was the same thing from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai all the way to the end of Kid Buu. I mean they could have at least changed the color of his obi, to red like it is in the manga and in some of the movies.
I thought Piccolo's outfit was unique, since him being a tough guy he had to have a cape and all.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:21 pm

Duo wrote:Do something to make Chibi and Super Boo more distinguished from one another other then size...

Well Kid Buu had a chin and Super Buu didnt.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:36 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote:
Duo wrote:Do something to make Chibi and Super Boo more distinguished from one another other then size...

Well Kid Buu had a chin and Super Buu didnt.
Chins are an all important distinguishing characteristic when it comes to Demonic space genie's, after all.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:22 am

The Time Traveller wrote:Satan and Nappa barely look alike, that picture isn't even official...
... And? Okay, Satan's mustache is thicker, but Satan is Nappa with an afro.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:50 pm

lol Yeah, most characters' faces look the same and so do their bodies. For example, if you put Vegeta's face with Goku's Super Saiyan hair, and had...hm...Satan's body and put Goku's gi on it, you'd think it's Goku.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:43 pm

B wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:Satan and Nappa barely look alike, that picture isn't even official...
... And? Okay, Satan's mustache is thicker, but Satan is Nappa with an afro.
Well AT is known for use of recycling characters since it's fairly common in his other works and designs. Just look at Reonald in Cowa!, and I believe one of the Dragon Quest games had a boxart where two of it's characters look like Roshi.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/