Stupid things you've ignored.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Stupid things you've ignored.

Post by Kendamu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:13 am

We all know that Dragonball (in general... meaning also Z, GT, Kai, movies, whatever) has plotholes or various things that can't really be explained. Sometimes you're like, "Whaaaat?" and you actually sit there and think about it for a minute.

Or, like a lot of people, you get on the Internet and argue relentlessly for years about it with a bunch of people you don't know who are probably half your age.

But, how many of you have seen a certain something that didn't quite make sense and then just ignore it out of convenience? What are some examples of things you've ignored just because you didn't feel like dealing with it and just wanted to have fun watching some TV without getting into some keyboard-mashing nerd fight?

My example: Goku trained on Kaiousama's planetoid at 10x Earth's gravity and had a lot of trouble initially. When on his way to Namek, though, he started at 20x gravity and initially had about the same amount of mobility. But, by this point, 20x gravity should only be twice the weight that he's used to. So why is he having so much trouble? Shouldn't he be having that kind of trouble under 100x gravity instead?

I just conveniently ignore it, though. It's not worth the trouble for me to figure it out. It detracts from the fun to sit and worry about stuff like that.

What's your example?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Stupid things you've ignored.

Post by B » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:19 am

Pretty much any real world fallacy within the manga. Rabbits on the moon, tails are recessive, you don't have a nose but you could smell ten minutes ago, yaddayaddayadda.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:15 am

Most things associated with Gotenks in the Boo arc, especially the constant overestimation of his power. I know it was just for comedy, but thinking he could get anything done in just his base form is silly, and usually just leads to humorous facefaults.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:22 am

Anything and everything that Cell said regarding time travel.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:23 am

Goku's base form hair. It works on that sort of Mickey Mouse ears logic which is why none of the toys or 3-D videogame models of him look quite right when he's facing one side. @_@

Also, Marron not having a nose as a child and magically sprouting one as teenager.

EDIT: Also that thing that happens with Goku and Kuririn's eye style where the line from the outside jumps to the inside when they look to the side while facing head on.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:44 am

"It must be the rotten air in here!"

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:27 am

Pretty much everything that was said during the Babidi's ship part of the Boo arc.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:12 am

Too be honest, there are many things about the Buu arc I have ignored. I still love it however.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Dr. Casey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:53 am

This isn't quite the same thing as what's described in the opening post (Since Kendamu ignored something but accepted it, while I'm just plain ignoring), but the one thing in Dragon Ball that struck me as very ignorable was Krillin's line during Goku's fight against General Blue in the Pirate Cave: "He's even stronger than at the Tenkaichi Budokai!" (A paraphrased quote from the anime, I have no idea if it's included in the manga)

Wait, what? How can Krillin tell that Goku's become stronger simply because he puts the beatdown on some guy they just met? What's he using as a standard of comparison?
And, more importantly, why would Goku be stronger than he was at the Budokai in the first place? He got stronger by... flying around the world using Kinto'un and an airplane? Having a few short battles in Muscle Tower?

I've never gotten that line at all. :(

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:47 am

Dr. Casey wrote:This isn't quite the same thing as what's described in the opening post (Since Kendamu ignored something but accepted it, while I'm just plain ignoring), but the one thing in Dragon Ball that struck me as very ignorable was Krillin's line during Goku's fight against General Blue in the Pirate Cave: "He's even stronger than at the Tenkaichi Budokai!" (A paraphrased quote from the anime, I have no idea if it's included in the manga)

Wait, what? How can Krillin tell that Goku's become stronger simply because he puts the beatdown on some guy they just met? What's he using as a standard of comparison?
And, more importantly, why would Goku be stronger than he was at the Budokai in the first place? He got stronger by... flying around the world using Kinto'un and an airplane? Having a few short battles in Muscle Tower?

I've never gotten that line at all. :(
Well, Goku had been fighting the red ribbon while Krillin had been "relaxing". Anyone (by dragon ball logic) will become stronger the more they fight and train, but by fighting they are are able to develop even more than just training.

But Goku is not anyone... He`s special, the hero of the manga and (by using DBZ logic) a sayan. He was shot by the hypergun and got hurt. Just by the fact that he is a sayan, he should get stronger just by recuperating from that blow. And without using DBZ logic (because Toriyama hadn`t thought about that yet) since anyone will get better the more they train and fight, Goku, beign the main character will get even better by doing so.

The one thing I didn`t even notice at first and then decide to ignore, is Mr. Popo magic carpet. His magic carpet seems to be able to teleport. Then why didn`t he take Goku to fight the sayans? Kami and Piccolo died because of that delay.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:39 am

There have been a lot of stupid things relating to characters' strength and keeping bodies in the afterlife that I've ignored.

But the stupidest thing would have to be Krillin being able to smell Bacterian 5 minutes earlier and then realizing that he doesn't have a noise which makes him unable to smell.

I know it's comedy but that's just retarded. Bobobo-type retardation even.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:37 am

rereboy wrote:
The one thing I didn`t even notice at first and then decide to ignore, is Mr. Popo magic carpet. His magic carpet seems to be able to teleport. Then why didn`t he take Goku to fight the sayans? Kami and Piccolo died because of that delay.
Oh, wow, I never thought about that before. That's pretty glaring, especially considering how close together those two moments are.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:02 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
rereboy wrote:
Oh, wow, I never thought about that before. That's pretty glaring, especially considering how close together those two moments are.
I'm fairly certain that Mr. Popo was busy toasting his toast and then buttering said toast.

In all honesty though? Freeza's reconstruction. I mean, half of his head was gone, which means that half of his brain was gone. He was deeeeead. You could say that his brain isn't in his head, but the DBZ monsters toyline has his brain in that purple windowy thing on his head.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:43 am

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote:
In all honesty though? Freeza's reconstruction. I mean, half of his head was gone, which means that half of his brain was gone. He was deeeeead. You could say that his brain isn't in his head, but the DBZ monsters toyline has his brain in that purple windowy thing on his head.
I agree.

Back in Namek when Freeza tried to blow up the planet, the planet didn`t blow up immediately, and Goku said it was because Freeza held back because he was afraid that the explosion would be too violent.

Later, Freeza, thinking that he beat Goku, says to himself that he must get off the planet because if he is caught in the explosion, he will lose even more energy (he was in his 100% state.

Basically that means that a planet blowing up on the face is not a little deal, even for someone as powerful as Freeza`s 100% form.

But what actually happens is that Freeza, sliced in half, with only the energy Goku gave him out of pity, and after receiving Goku`s final blow, still gets the planet blowing up on his face, and still survives :lol:

Also, in the Sayan arc, when Vegeta loses control and attacks Goku with all his power saying that his blast will destroy the Earth... What if Goku hadn`t stopped the blast? Vegeta would destroy the Earth, killing himself with it? He can`t survive in space... :lol:

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 am

The time-travel issues in the Cell arc.
The assumed rule is that everytime someone goes into the past at any point, they create a new time-line, but when they go forward, they move along their original time-line. Now, answer me this; when Trunks goes into the past to warn everyone about the androids (creating the main time-line), and then shows up again, three years later, did he go forward 3 years? Or forward 20, then back 17?
Because either way, it doesn't makes sense; if he were to move forward, he'd be going three years later, where he DIDN'T warn about the androids; and if he got there from after returning home, he'd wind-up in the same place. All he'd do is create ANOTHER time-line, not travel across the one he previously created.

And to make matters MUCH MORE COMPLICATED: Cell apparently uses the time machine to go back to the year BEFORE the Trunks-made time-split. Which SHOULD have simply created an alternate time-line off of the one they were on, but instead SOMEHOW affects the main time-line, as if implying that Trunks entered a different time-line to create ANOTHER time-line.

And Cell's bullshit explanation about how he got there just shoves logic into the water.
He kills Trunks in his time and steals the time machine. -okay

The time-destination was pre-set. -Trunks was apparently going back to tell everyone that his android problem in his time was resolved. (which he shouldn't be able to do) But why would he choose to go back to a year BEFORE he even spoke to any of them? WTH?!

Cell was incompatible with time-travel, so he had to regress into his larval form. -What? Oh, I guess that was supposed to explain his shed skin found at the site. Alright, then how do you explain the egg?
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 am

fig404 wrote:Cell was incompatible with time-travel, so he had to regress into his larval form. -What? Oh, I guess that was supposed to explain his shed skin found at the site. Alright, then how do you explain the egg?
Incompatible...? What do you mean? Cell says he reverted to his egg stage simply because the machine was too small for him to fit in.

fig404
Beyond Newbie

Post by fig404 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:42 am

Amigo Ten wrote:
fig404 wrote:Cell was incompatible with time-travel, so he had to regress into his larval form. -What? Oh, I guess that was supposed to explain his shed skin found at the site. Alright, then how do you explain the egg?
Incompatible...? What do you mean? Cell says he reverted to his egg stage simply because the machine was too small for him to fit in.
Oh okay, I knew it had to be one of those things.

And how do you revert into an egg? He was a fetus-thing before. Did Cell grow an eggshell?
You can find Dragon Ball video-edits on my Youtube Channel.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:01 pm

fig404 wrote:The time-travel issues in the Cell arc.
The time travel will never make sense because there are too many plotholes.

However... I have an explanation that (almost) makes sense. I think that the author was thinking about something like this when he wrote the Cell arc.

Graphic:

Keep in mind that the Time Machine seems to "memorize" the timeline it came from and the timeline that it created. Therefore, it not only is able to move through time but it can also go to different timelines that it has visited before and came from.

A new timeline is created whenever a paradox happens. Basically, if Trunks` original time travel altered his own timeline, then he would change, become someone else and he wouldn`t need to time travel. But if he hadn`t time traveled, then that change would never happen. That`s a paradox. One theory to fix this, is the theory of different timelines coexisting which is obviously adopted in Dragon Ball.

Now, lets look at the graphic:

Timeline 1 : This is the original timeline where Goku died with a illness. Its Trunks` original timeline.

Timeline 2: This is the timeline created by Trunks` first time travel. Please notice how everything in that timeline is the same, including the past, and the only differences are the changes caused from the moment Trunks appeared.
In this Timeline. Trunks shows up and saves Goku from dying with the illness, while killing Freeza and his father. He warns him about the androids and leaves to his original timeline, timeline 1. He then travels again to the past, to the timeline he created, timeline 2, after recharging his time machine (with that second voyage he may have created another timeline, but I doubt it, since I think it wouldn`t create a paradox since the timelines are already apart from each other. That second voyage was more like going to another universe than actually time travel to change things. But if it did create another timeline, lets say timeline 2b, the difference would simply be that in one of the timelines Trunks never showed up a second time, while in the other, he did ).
So, anyway, he gets there and they all face the androids. What exactly happens is unknown but they defeat the androids eventually, probably by discovering the secret of the remote control. Trunks goes back to his timeline and also defeats his androids, probably using the remote.
But after that, Cell awakens in timeline 1 and discovers that the androids are gone. It kills Trunks and uses his time machine to go back and change things. Since it last visited timeline 2, there is where Cell goes. But he gets there in a point in time before the original voyage of Trunks. However, this is still the past of timeline 2. It just happens to be equal to the past of timeline 1 before Trunks arrives. The arrival of Cell creates obviously a paradox which brings about the creation of timeline 3.

Timeline 3: this is the timeline of the main story. It was created by Cell`s arrival. It contains the changes that Trunks made to the timeline but it also contains the changes that Cell did to the timeline. Everything happens like we all know it happened with Gohan defeating Perfect Cell. After that, Trunks returns home to his timeline. And this is where a curious thing happens... Trunks travels to timeline 1, just like Trunks, the Trunks that was in Timeline 2, did, but he goes to a point in time before Cell kills him in that timeline, the same Cell that caused the existence of timeline 3. So that obviously created a paradox, and so, yet another timeline was created. A timeline where the Trunks that returned was powerful enough to kill Cell, and not be killed by him.

Timeline 4: this timeline is also shown in the story. It happens when Trunks returns to the future and kills the androids and Cell.

The are however a few problems with this theory:

- Cell told Piccolo (in the main story) that in his timeline Trunks killed Freeza and his father. Obviously that can`t happen with the theory I developed. However, I considered that a plothole. To me, the author had this theory in mind, but he made a mistake when he wrote that part. So to me it doesn`t invalidate the theory, because there are few theories with zero inconsistencies. But I understand that some of you will not think of it that way.

- Cell also told Piccolo that the time machine was already set to the date it arrived. That also doesn`t make sense. It would make more sense if Cell simply chose the date (it shouldn`t be that hard, Cell looks smart). I regard this also as a plothole since there is no logic in Trunks programming the machine to go to that specific point in time.

- When Trunks arrived in the Future to kill the androids and Cell, going by my theory, since everything is the same, except for Trunks being there, there should also be another Trunks there, the one that Cell killed. This however, I can explain. Trunks had no reason to not go back to exactly the same moment in time and the exact same space that Trunks (that was in timeline 2) went back to. The date and everything was probably already programmed in both time machines since they are essentially the same. Since they couldn`t appear both that the same time and place, only one Trunks appeared, the one shown in the story that killed 17, 18 and Cell.

In short... This theory is not perfect...That is impossible to do. But to me is the most logical one, as long as we accept the inconsistencies as simple plotholes, like the ones that exist in the rest of the story. Therefore, I notice this plotholes but I ignore them, just like the topic says :lol:
fig404 wrote:
And how do you revert into an egg? He was a fetus-thing before. Did Cell grow an eggshell?
Probably inside the egg he was still that fetus-thing. If he has the ability to return to that state, and he does return to that state, he also has the ability to protect himself while in that state. Hence, the shell of the egg.

Otherwise he would be that fetus-thing on the ground :lol: .

While in the lab he didn`t need that shell because he was protected inside that glass jar and he was being developed by the computer. Afterwards the computer gave him the ability to return to his fetus state while creating an egg shell for protection, if he wanted to.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:13 pm

rereboy wrote: Also, in the Sayan arc, when Vegeta loses control and attacks Goku with all his power saying that his blast will destroy the Earth... What if Goku hadn`t stopped the blast? Vegeta would destroy the Earth, killing himself with it? He can`t survive in space... :lol:
I think that his life wasn't his biggest concern. He wanted to kill those Earthlings at all cost for making him look like a fool.
In the end of the fight, he gave up, because he was too weak and damaged, and Goku and his gang still able to beat him up and to kill him.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:12 pm

There's a number of things that didn't make sense that I've simply ignored, since, for me, they've normally just been little things that help to get the story along. It's not until I really think about it that I realize how ridiculous it really is. Such as Cell's reference to Trunks in his explanation to Piccolo. Then there's Toriyama's cock-up of having Kaio-Ken X2, despite the fact that the regular Kaio-Ken doubled Goku's power anyway--something which I brushed over as well because I didn't pay attention to the doubling-power thing until I got sucked into the whole power-level community of DBZ fandom (which I've escaped from, thankfully).

Plus, there's the gag situations that happened, like Goku taking the rabbit gang up to the moon on his Nyoibo and Gotenks speeding around the planet and leaving the atmosphere in the process (something which was debated on endlessly in an old thread). Stuff I always ignored because they were clear gag situations.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.