New Dragon Ball Fan

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: New Dragon Ball Fan

Post by Kendamu » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Tempester wrote:Finished Volume 2, wish I'd bought some more.

And which version would you reccomed me watching first? Is the original better, or is Funimation equally as good?
The majority of us around here will say that the Japanese version is better. I suggest giving the original Japanese a try first once you get around to watching the anime. After that, if you wanna try the dub, feel free. This way, you'll freely experience both and you can decide which you like better.

A note, however, is that there are more than a decent amount of translation inconsistencies between the Japanese version and the dub and we generally tend to use the Japanese script as the main source of what was actually said.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Tempester

Post by Tempester » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:14 pm

I don't paticulary want to do it but I might just watch some of the Dragon Ball Anime in a bit. And it's not like I won't buy it eventually, as soon as Funi releases a good quality dvd release with japanese audio I'll be first in line.

Smiling, and this time I won't leave my wallet behind.

It'll be intresting to see how the animators and voice actors capture this series and bring it to life. What Seriyu's are there? I know Mayumi Tanka is voicing a character named Kurrin who is of course Monkey D Luffy.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Maybe I'm just an odd fan, but watch both if you get the dvds. Experience multiple sides of the fandom, and get your money's worth, if nothing else, lol. But, if you do ever get through it all and want to watch Kai, the English dub for it seems much improved over the original dub.

And welcome to the club. Some of us have been in the fandom for years, others, a short time. Me? More than a Decade at this point.

Though, I should post more here, lol. No need to be a Mime Fan.

How are you liking the manga thus far?

And too many voice actors to name, lol. But, some will pick favorites, of course.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

Baby Naruto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Baby Naruto » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Tempester wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:
Tempester wrote:Well, one thing I do know is that the way to watch Dragon Ball is the Dragon Box, and from what I can see so far it's ony avalible for Z.

So whilst I'm buying the manga, I'll watch Dragon Ball online and hold off for a Dragon Box style release.

I finished Volume 1 and am part way through Dragon Ball Volume 2. Very entertaining so far, best purchase I have made in a while.
First, welcome to this world-wide club house.

Second, I'm astonished that you'll go with the Dragon Box and not the Remastered season sets! Looks like you've done your homework.

Third, I'm not a moderator here, but I don't think you should go and watch online episodes. The Dragon Ball season sets are sure not the best in quality, but they are better than the previous releases from what I've heard. You should get them.

And in case FUNimation announced the Dragon ball Dragon Box... maybe you can sell them online or to anyone you know and get some cash out of them.
Well the remastered sets are quite cheap, and I could always flog them. I know they're fullscreen and that doesn't bother me as much as cropped. I was flicking through the funi forums a while back, and saw all this dragon box stuff. So I looked it up and it seems they're pretty good.
Only the remastered sets for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT are fullscreen, the DBZ Remastered Sets are Widescreen.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:32 pm

For the far-in-the-future Z/Kai thing...
Kai episode one has something of a spoiler in it, as it inserts a flashback to events in one of the Z TV specials. For Kai on its own, that's all fine and well, but if one is continuing from everything pre Z it's kinda meh.
Of course, how big a deal TV special references is is dependant on whether you've gotten past that part in the manga by then, I suppose. :?

*Is interested ot hear your reviews* :D
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Tempester

Post by Tempester » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:44 pm

I'm gonna post Volume 1 review tommorow, done too much writing today (just wrote a One Piece fanfic) but I'll tell you the rating is 8.5/10.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:33 pm

Tempester wrote:What Seriyu's are there? I know Mayumi Tanka is voicing a character named Kurrin who is of course Monkey D Luffy.
Many huge names, most notably Masako Nozawa, Hiromi Tsuru, Jouji Yanami, Tohru Furuya, Daisuke Gouri, Shigeru Chiba, Toshio Furukawa, Ryou Horikawa, Ryusei Nakao and Norio Wakamoto.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Adamant wrote:
Tempester wrote:What Seriyu's are there? I know Mayumi Tanka is voicing a character named Kurrin who is of course Monkey D Luffy.
Many huge names, most notably Masako Nozawa, Hiromi Tsuru, Jouji Yanami, Tohru Furuya, Daisuke Gouri, Shigeru Chiba, Toshio Furukawa, Ryou Horikawa, Ryusei Nakao and Norio Wakamoto.
Hooray, I'm helping!

http://www.kanzentai.com/cast.php
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:54 am

Nice to meet you hon, welcome to Dragonball Land!

^_^ Always nice to meet new fans. As to your questions, I totally recommend doing what you're doing now- follow along the manga from the beginning and enjoy it. The manga doesn't cost much piece by piece, it's less of a kick to the wallet and looks nice on a shelf together. If you like the manga then go on to the anime ^_^ I fully recommend Z over Kai because while some of it is bad, there's a lot of really good stuff you'd be missing out on.

Oh yeah, and one more thing- don't spend too much time here for a while! Enjoy the series without learning everything ahead of time like a lot of us did ^^;
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:08 am

Welcome new comer but I will like to let you know that your entering a huge universe that is DragonBall.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:40 am

Welcome newcomer. I Hope you enjoy dragon ball and all it has to offer. Ignore the plotholes and lack of logic, its the greatest anime ever.

also, a minor tip to fit in when you get to the Z era
1) Stay away from the words OVER and 9000
2) Avoid jumping on the bandwagon of fandom of Br*ly
3) We refer to him as Mr S**** not H******

besides that, enjoy what DB/Z has to offer
Oh, you think the Grand Tour is your ally, you merely stepped into the Grand Tour. I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t see the Super until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but blinding!

Tempester

Post by Tempester » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:41 am

Poor old Daisuke, that means they'll have to recast him in Kai. That's another reason to watch Z.

And Volume 1 Review will be up as soon as I've eaten.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:54 am

Tempester wrote:Poor old Daisuke, that means they'll have to recast him in Kai. That's another reason to watch Z.
Definitely. They've already recast him, as he was playing the role of Porunga when he passed away, but the Dragonball character he's most known for hasn't appeared in Kai yet. He won't be the same without Gouri's voicework :(
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Tempester

Post by Tempester » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:19 am

Instead of a Volume 1 Review, I'll just review the arc:

The arc review will cover my thoughts on the story of that arc and the characters as well as final thoughts. In future reviews I will comment on things like comedy and action cause I won't have a lot to talk about if I talk about that stuff now. And plus this review is kinda long due to the length of the arc.

Story Arc 1 : 8.5/10

The story: 4/5
One of the best things about this manga is the fact that it has an intresting story without over complicating itself. 7 Balls, gather em, get a wish: simples. I was pleasantly surprised at how simple it was and glad the author decided not to throw in some hidden twist. Of course there's gonna be "potholes" along the way...

The first part of the quest, the introduction made me laugh and kept me intrested. I was liking the characters by the end of the chapter, Son Goku more so because he's so carefree and has a lot to learn. He reminds me of the kid of out of the Jungle Book except more stupid. Heck you even have Sheer Khan (the sabertooth tiger) and Baloo (the bear thief). I'm not too keen on Bulma, she's a bit annoying and all she seems to be there for is to introduce Goku to things and for fanservice. You also have a simple villain which is nice, it'd be weird to jump into a massive battle already. So as I was saying it made me laugh, some nice comedy moments.

The "overnight stuff" was funny as well, I spect many people would be pleased with the amount of fanservice. I'm still not keen on Bulma because she doesn't really do anything but it is nice for Goku to have someone to play off against and to inform him about things.

The next part is my favourite, Kame-Sennin without a doubt is my favourite character in the franchise so far. Eventhough his apperance was brief his actions indicated to me that he'll have me laughing further down the line. The Kinotun and Nyobo (sorry about spellings, not too good at remembering them) seem sort of drugs of the tools world in that Goku probally will have a tendancy to overuse them, and they're strong enough/fast enough. Turtle was a nice supporting character, so was the Bear Thief. I'm loving the wacky characters Akira comes up with, I'll mae sure to comment on that another time.

I wasn't too keen on the next part, Oolong just wasn't a believable villain but I guess that's what makes him funny, I was just looking forward to a proper villain/rival for him. Bulma was ok in this segment, she seems a bit of a man eater but surely she has something better to do, I hate how she makes Goku do all the work, I was glad she didn't get her wish. The battle was ok, but I couldn't really take it seriously.

Another of my favourite parts was the desert stuff, it was nice to see Goku get a rival and someone who can challenge his skills. Yamcha also makes me laugh, I guess every villain has a character trait or weakness that makes them stand out. I could tell that he aspects of his character were created with Bulma in mind. The second part of this segment was probally the funniest in the arc, I liked the whole shapeshifting game that went on, and the interaction between Yamcha and Bulma made me laugh especially the end.

The next part was ok too, even if it did feature a lot of talking as opposed to action. It was great to see Kame Sennin return and actually do something apart from be a pervert though that part made me laugh. The Kamehameha was one of the few things I was aware of before watching the series (the other being the dragon balls and a super saiyan, though no idea what the last one is but it sounds good) but I always thought Goku invented it so it was a surprise to see the lercher use it. I'm not too keen on Gyumao or his daughter, but I did like the revelation that Gyumao was really a big softie, and some of the interaction between Chi-Chi and the other characters. Could she be a love intrest for our hero?

I wasn't a big fan of the Rabbit stuff, it seemed like filler to me with the only canon part being the Goku/Yamcha teamup. I kinda wish they gave the rabbit guy a better ability than turning people into carrots but it was a nice joke. It'd been kinda cool if they had made him a devil rabbit or something that feasted on children, to be honest that would be more funny than scary but it would creep me out. Bulma still seems to be doing nothing but (don't mean to be sexist) in a show about martial arts what can a girl do? Unless they were to introduce some stronger girl characters further down the line.

It was good to get a "proper" villain for the last act even if he and his sidekicks were a bit stupid. At last we saw the dragon (whoop) and I was half expecting the villain to get his wish, it would have made a good second arc if Pilaf ruled the world and Goku had to stop him. It was a surprise that Oolong got his wish but it was a nice surprise though surely he could have wished for something better. And Goku can turn into a giant ape? What the hell? I knew he had to have a tail for a reason, but still, how on earth can turn into a monkey? Guess we'll find out later. So this was a nice old part as it had action, comedy (like Pilaf breaking the fourth wall and the treatment) and it tied up some characters arcs. It was good to see Bulma and Yamcha get together mainly because I hope it'll shut her up.

So this was a really good arc, there were times when it dragged but times when I couldn't put the volume down. For future refrence, my favourite character thus far is Kame Sennin and my least favourite is Bulma. Anything else you wanna know? And as I said I'll discuss action probally when we get to an action-y arc and other things when I feel like it.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 am

I'm glad you like it so far :). Just a few things I think that you may want to bare in mind is that when Akira Toriyama first started on the manga, he had no idea it was going to turn into this huge storytelling epic as we see it now. I believe he intended it to end after the Pilaf stuff, also the majority of the first volumes will be more comedy based than serious fighting and saving lives because that was Toriyama's intention at that point in time.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Toriyama wanted to make sure girls in DragonBall weren't "girly-girls", but instead they were more powerful (whether by character domination or in strength).

Correct me someone if I'm wrong!
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Tempester

Post by Tempester » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:47 am

LilKokuLink wrote:I'm glad you like it so far :). Just a few things I think that you may want to bare in mind is that when Akira Toriyama first started on the manga, he had no idea it was going to turn into this huge storytelling epic as we see it now. I believe he intended it to end after the Pilaf stuff, also the majority of the first volumes will be more comedy based than serious fighting and saving lives because that was Toriyama's intention at that point in time.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Toriyama wanted to make sure girls in DragonBall weren't "girly-girls", but instead they were more powerful (whether by character domination or in strength).

Correct me someone if I'm wrong!
Right, I was just wondering whether or not it was going to be all comedy for dragon ball and just action for z. But still the comedy's good so no complaints.

I suppose Bulma is a bit of domineering woman, and I guess that's better than having a girl who likes ponies and ribbons. I just wish she would do something that actually has a big devlopment on the story (excluding the stuff in chapter 1).

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:16 am

It's hard to talk to you without spoiling things so I suppose it's just best to read on and see for yourself :).

As for Bulma, all I'll say is that she'll have her moments and don't set your hopes too high on her!
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Tempester

Post by Tempester » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:37 am

Went out and picked up Volumes 3-5. The good thing is obvious, the bad thing: won't be able to get anymore till after next Friday due to the fact that's when I get paid. I could buy more now but I have other things to buy which are important like food, etc. I could make 3 volumes last till then but knowing me that's not likely.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:15 pm

The fifth volume will get you into the start of the first real "action-y" arc. Still a lot of comedy, but the series gets its first villains who aren't total comedic relief. The shift is very gradual, and the comedy never really goes away, even in the "Z" portion. By the time it's taken backseat to the action, you won't have really noticed.

As for the monkey thing, the first arc of Dragon Ball is a parody of "Journey to the West," a Chinese legend/fairy tale that's quite well known and frequently adapted in Japan. The main character is Son Wukong, the monkey king (and a literal monkey-type character in some versions), which is read as Son Goku in Japanese. So there you go. Son Goku is based on the monkey king from this fairy tale. The series gives its own in-universe explanation later, but for now that's all you need to know.

Oh, and as a Kame Sennnin fan, you're going to love the second arc.

Tempester

Post by Tempester » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:24 pm

Liking the second arc, wonder if I did all that training I could jump that high? Luanch and Kurrin make me laugh, they're in my top 5.

And just a question:

What did you all think off the first arc?