Dragon Boxes Questions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Dragon Boxes Questions

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sat May 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Is it true that GT is broadcast on Stereo but presented on Mono in the Dragon Boxes? and if it's true why it's like that?
How many khz is the sound that Dragon Boxes have?
Is the Funi's DBox video bit rate is smaller than Toei's? and how many bit rate is Toei's and Funi's DBox?

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Boxes Questions

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:17 pm

Yes, GT is presented in Mono for it D-Box presentation. Why, maybe they didn't use the original TV Masters which would explain why Pony Canyon didn't include the original finale credit list.
The audio on the D-Boxes are at 48 Khz at 448 kbps, Mono except on the Movies Boxset which are Stereo for the sound effects and music.

The bit rate is quite overblown for the R2 discs. At only six episodes a disc, the bit rate hovers at 6-7 mbps. I believe the R1 discs are somewhere between 5-6. Not 100% positive on that one.
Hope this helps a bit. And yes, I own all the boxes. If you need any more information on them, I'll be more than happy to help out.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun May 30, 2010 10:40 am

I don't understand "48 Khz at 448 kbps" Funi's Dbox is 96 Khz right?

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:00 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:I don't understand "48 Khz at 448 kbps" Funi's Dbox is 96 Khz right?

The sound frequency is at 48khz, which is standard on most DVDs, and the bit rate for the audio is 448 kbps two channel mono. The FUNimation box set, the audio is encoded at 96 kbps one channel mono.
You are confusing khz with kbps.

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Sun May 30, 2010 11:45 pm

Goku100xKamehameha wrote:I don't understand "48 Khz at 448 kbps" Funi's Dbox is 96 Khz right?
Also, two channels encoded at 448 kbps breaks down into each of the two channels being encoded at 224 kbps (with the same sound coming from both channels, since this show is in mono). This is a very high bitrate as compressed audio goes, but the R1 Dragon Boxes' 96 kbps mono is a bitrate that, in terms of avoiding compression artifacts, is indistinguishable from the original audio by most.
Our speculation is that the Japanese discs had plenty of space left over (fewer episodes per disc than the R1 counterparts, one language in mono), so a very high bitrate was used for the audio just because it could be done. Still, while some differences may exist between the R2 and R1 versions, FUNi's Dragon Box audio was encoded at very good quality, even if we do have to crank the volume a bit.
It's not all about numbers, either. The source material and the efficiency of the encoding software are also factors in the final audio quality, which lead to the R1 Dragon Box audio being an improvement over the R1 season set audio. Better source material is also why the opening and ending themes sound better than the actual episodes.
I can see their parachutes.