What's your first Dragonball memory?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: What's your first Dragonball memory?

Post by Zephyr » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:37 am

Blue wrote:Hearing kids talk about it at school and thinking "boy that sure does sound dumb".
This exactly. I was quite wrong.

In terms of actually watching the show, I'd have to say that my earliest memories are of Cartoon Network repeating the same few episodes of the fight against Nappa for weeks on end, which continued well into the Ginyu arc.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Questrider wrote:
Piccolo Daimao wrote:I think my first ever Dragon Ball memory was when I was in town with my friend, and he was talking to me about it. I specifically remember him mentioning Super Saiyan and thinking "What the fuck is that?" I didn't really get it and I had a low attention span for something that I had no interest in, so I pretty much let it pass.
That was until he actually showed me for real when I went round his house and played Ultimate Battle 22 & Final Bout on his PlayStation. I (somehow) thought the games were awesome and began to give it a chance.
LMAO, as your memory is almost exactly how it went down for me.
My friend was yappin about how Dragonball "was the shit" and because I had no interest in it, and did not understand the whole "Super Saiyan" thing either, I pretty much let it pass as well.
He introduced me to Budokai Tenkaichi 3 soon after and I started to play as Trunks because HE was using Goku. (As back then, it was NOT cool to use the same character your friend did) After awhile, I DID start using Goku, and for awhile, my only exposure was through video games. How fucked up is that?
Wow, that's the same as me. It was mainly UB22, Final Bout and Budokai 2 that got me into DBZ. I remember playing Budokai 2 for the first time, and I used Kid Trunks (who seemed like an awesome character at the time...not so much now).
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Blue
Advanced Regular

Post by Blue » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:46 pm

Heh ,Budokai 2 was my first exposure to the Boo saga.Then I got more exposure to it by playing Boo's fury. I actually didn't watch it until way later on.
Herms wrote: The DB wikai lists “Rolie Buu” as one of this form’s alternate name, though I have no clue who calls him that.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:47 pm

I remember watching the old Dragon Ball dub when I was a kid. I think it was 2 or 3... After that, I guess when DBZ first came on Cartoon Network. I saw the commercials and deemed it stupid and decided I'll never like it.

And, um, stuff happened.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:24 am

Goku taking off Bulma's panties.

Just kidding. My earliest DB memory is Vegeta putting Goku in the healing chamber (or whatever it's called). I watched the whole episode on a bootleg video.

Goten Forever
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Goten Forever » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:41 am

My first memory, when I was 5, was of the very first episode to air on Cartoon Network. I remember Raditz killing the farmer and kidnapping Gohan. :lol:
SON GOTEN FTW
except GT Goten
Especially after he went out with Paresu-chan

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:44 am

Does anyone remember kids who liked to think they were superior? As in "Pfft, you're still watching Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon? We're 10 now, we're practically adults."

10 years later and I'm practically a child. :D

Goten Forever
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Goten Forever » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:45 am

What's funny is that I can't remember what made me like Goten so much. My first memory of him was after I watched the Cell arc, and my brother bought some Goten and Trunks skateboard model. I thoght it was Goku and Trunks as kids, and I didn't believe my brother when he told me who the mini Goku was.
Then the Buu arc came onto CNX, and I couldn't get enough of him! :D
SON GOTEN FTW
except GT Goten

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:42 pm

Hmm well mine would have to be flicking through the channels and seeing Goku's amazing super saiyan hair, nice and boring. Although I sellotaped my hair to make spikes like his which wasn't very thoughtful...
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Vegeta1056
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1056 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Coming home after school one day and after getting done with my homework watch SSJ3 Goku use Buu as a punching bag.

Those were the days...

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:28 am

My first Dragon Ball memory was when Toonami aired all the Garlic Jr saga at midnight or something. I think I was 9 or 10 when it happened. Anyway I didn't know what the hell was going on. It confused me. lol

Goten Forever
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Goten Forever » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:15 am

Codarik wrote:My first Dragon Ball memory was when Toonami aired all the Garlic Jr saga at midnight or something. I think I was 9 or 10 when it happened. Anyway I didn't know what the hell was going on. It confused me. lol
Well it was completely filler, that's why! :D
Tha Garlic Junior saga had lots of plot holes, though I love Gohan's outfit with the black shoes and red Goten style leg warmers.
He was my favourite character until the Buu saga.
SON GOTEN FTW
except GT Goten

KakaR0T
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KakaR0T » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:13 am

Goten Forever wrote:leg warmers.
lol I couldn't resist.

Anyway, My first Dragonball memory is when I was a senior in High School (2002) and I was watching it on Toonami and Midnight Run.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:12 pm

Everyone going blond and ridiculously strong and fighting each othe demolishing landscape...... Goku vs Vegeta in Buu saga, first episode I saw on TV.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:12 pm

My earliest memory of Dragon Ball would be back in 97 or 98 where my dad got me Vol. 1 of Dragon Ball on VHS. I never knew what it was, and I never watch it since I did not care for it at the time. Another early memory of mine is when I was waiting for Beast Wars to come on back in 1998, and I saw clips of the Sayain Saga where Goku was getting wish back to life. I still had no idea what I was, but all I care was waiting for Beast Wars to come on.

Then in 1999, DBZ was becoming very popular and everyone in my school was talking about it at the time. Due to the hype at the time, I watch one episode where Piccolo was fighting Freeza in his second form then I was like "Wow this like Power Rangers but worst". Since then I hated the series, and I thought it was overrated. It was not until 2000 or 2001 where I watch the Cell saga, then thought it was so cool. Since then I loved the series and try to get my hands on everything of the series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:45 pm

First memory...

It was 1995, I was six, and an all new show called Dragon Ball was about to come on. So, I sat down and watched it... Did not like.

Then, 1998, nine years old, on Cartoon Network, I saw episode 11 of Dragon Ball Z (which was actually episode 17): Showdown in the Past... Did not like.
But, I kept watching for whatever reason, and before I knew it, I was a huge fan.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

GFGuldo

Post by GFGuldo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:47 am

First time I remember was watching the Saiyan saga one morning before school. I remember thinking Piccolo's name was "Gohan" because they mentioned Gohan having a ball on his head, and I thought that the bluey thing on Piccolo's turbany thing was this "ball."
I was very young.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:10 am

I could have swarn I already posted in this topic?...

Oh well, My earliest memory of Dragonball Z was the first episode shown on Cartoon Network. It looked very different from any cartoon I'd ever seen so I thought I'd check it out.

I remember the first episode was shown just after the first episode of that terrible show "Angela Anaconda"
(Shudders)
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:40 pm

Sshadow5001 wrote:I could have swarn I already posted in this topic?...

Oh well, My earliest memory of Dragonball Z was the first episode shown on Cartoon Network. It looked very different from any cartoon I'd ever seen so I thought I'd check it out.

I remember the first episode was shown just after the first episode of that terrible show "Angela Anaconda"
(Shudders)
Hey! it was on Teletoon back in the 2000s. Anyhow, I kept watching Atomic Betty along with it. But I'd always hit the fukin mute button on the Dragon Dragon Ball tune. It kills me too much.
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:04 pm

1998, Goku creating the Genki Dama against Freezer, it was just so amazing!