My Pro Adult Gohan Rant

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

My Pro Adult Gohan Rant

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Posted on another forum.

1. Gohan when we first see him is a timid fearful 4 year old who's ambition is to become a great scholar. Notice how he ends up never deviating from this ultimate goal.

2. Even when it is time to fight, Gohan is very reluctant and only fights to help his friends.

3. He tells Cell to his face, he does NOT want to fight. Goku is absolutely horrified when Piccolo states Gohan doesn't have the same love of battle as he does.

4. If it was to do with laziness and bad writing, how is studying his ass off while raising his kid brother and aging mother and dealing with the loss of his father being lazy?

5. If it was to do with Chichi, wouldn't Gohan have resumed training after he moved out of home and got a family of his own? On that point, why would Gohan put his body through hell for a threat that might not ever come (Buu was a total fluke. No one expected someone as crazy strong as Cell to show up.) when he has a family to look after? He indeed was a scholar at the end of Z too and that is obviously canon.

6. Wasn't it in Gohan's best interests to growa brain rather than bigger muscles? So Chichi is hardly a bad mother.

7. As for why Gohan lost his mystic form, it became a useless form after all anyway. It failed to beat Buu and was only useful for one episode. After all the whining about Gohan losing SSJ, why was it so bad for GT writers to get rid of this form? If not, then it can easily be explained as either Gohan needed to mantain it with training lest it become dormant again or Gohan was somehow affected by being absorbed by Buu as Vegito was.

So is it truly a bad decision for GT to get rid of Gohan's fighter persona and make him a scholar? A true warrior fights not because he wants to but because he must, anyway.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Re: My Pro Adult Gohan Rant

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:12 pm

Strike 1 for GT Gohan was he went Super Saiyan. Strike 2 was he seems worlds weaker and smaller than in Z. Strike 3 was them making him utterly useless.

Such potential for him wasted. how could they make him like the strongest Z fighter in Z then a big nothing in GT?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Ussj Future Trunks
Regular

Post by Ussj Future Trunks » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:16 pm

What potential? Like i just ranted, GOHAN IS NOT A FIGHTER! He doesn't care if he's the strongest in the universe, he just wants to be a regular guy. Leaves the fighting to his dad. What's so wrong with that? And obviously he's gonna be a bit weaker. Not training does that to you. You can't just say Oh he should train cos hes strong. That would contradict his character and be even worse writing. You can't just drop his character traits just because you want him to be the strongest.
Simian upstart...none surpass me. No one even comes close! BURN THIS INTO YOUR MIND! I am emperor of the universe. The likes of you are only fit to grovel at my feet. Or better still...to be crushed...LIKE AN INSECT AT THE WHIM OF YOUR MASTER!

- Freeza, DBZ Kai.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Dragon Ball Z focuses mostly on everyone. GT was a great start for the "Full-Saiyajins". It brought back the history (Tuffles) and brought back 17. Most say it was all rushed and stupid, I think it's an honor to watch it all on my Dragon Box, in Japanese. I can understand a lot of it. If you really take the time to listen, things won't be half that bad. It's the English dub, that ruins the whole mood of it. It's depressing, it's rap intro makes me want to puke.. literally.
Gohan loosing his form was a great idea to not focus on him and his explosion of anger. That was all DBZ. GT was focusing on Goku and Vegeta. It was "THEIR" fight to finish. Evil presented itself, and it was the "Full Saiyajins" time to finish things. Not Gohan, not Goten, not Trunks... I thought it was a great finish. I think I might be rambling, so I'll stop here and let you think the rest.

Edit* You have to remember.. Gohan is a "Half Saiyajin" .. He does not like fighting .. Yes he had potential, but that's not how Akira Toriyama wanted him... so leave it there.
My 'beef' with GT was how incredibly ridiculously terrible it was animated half the time. Anything with Kid Goku in it was just horrid. It was hard to watch it go from Z looking amazing and then it goes downhill so fast. Kid Goku never even got knuckles. His fingers were just nubs comng out of his hand.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:23 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Are you saying this because you watched the English dub?
Me? What does watching the dub have to do with the animation?

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:27 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Because of the quality. But aside from that, I can understand where you're coming from.. However, I really appreciate GT. It's all good man, I respect you totally.
I know theres like grain and saturation differences and all that that affects the quality of the picture...but doesn't change the drawing itself.

But yes I'm a Dub lover, but I've sat through it in japanese as well.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:53 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:It's depressing, it's rap intro makes me want to puke.. literally.
FUNimation got rid of the GT rap on their latest sets. Just like they got rid of "rock the dragon".

The GT rap actually had more to do with the series than "Dan Dan". Just saying.

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:57 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:It's depressing, it's rap intro makes me want to puke.. literally.
FUNimation got rid of the GT rap on their latest sets. Just like they got rid of "rock the dragon".

Agreed. Although I liked the chorus part of the Gt rap, the actual lyrics make it sound cheapy and trashy and ghetto. Although the Dan Dan opening animation looks frickin amazing.....which sort of had to do with the show, more so than just showing clips from it.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:40 am

So these are 7 reasons why it was a good thing that Gohan quit fighting and became a scholar. It's a good life decision, yes.

It's no fun, you can't use him for adventure and I think fans won't get any kicks out of him reading a book. But a good life decision nevertheless. :)

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:21 am

I actually agree with the first post, I actually liked that Gohan wasn't an exact copy of his father and he liked different things.
It's good that Gohan has a mind of his own and that he was able to stay faithful to his true ambitions! I also have always appreciated the nerdy site of him, it's so not Goku! I think it's great Gohan turned out really different than Goku himself.

Goku100xKamehameha
I Live Here

Post by Goku100xKamehameha » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:58 am

LeprikanGT wrote:
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:

Agreed. Although I liked the chorus part of the Gt rap, the actual lyrics make it sound cheapy and trashy and ghetto. Although the Dan Dan opening animation looks frickin amazing.....which sort of had to do with the show, more so than just showing clips from it.
The only reason they changed the OP animation in the first place is because Toei decided to put Goku's dick in the OP.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:04 am

At the end of the day, there will always be people who will berate Gohan for "slacking off" after the Cell arc, when it was built that he was going to be the hero of Earth after Goku died. What these people don't understand is that, even though getting stronger and fighting bad guys is the main focus on the story, Gohan was never a fighter at heart and, frankly, he deserved to have a normal life at a time when no-one thought there would be anyone stronger than Cell coming to destroy the world.

I don't believe the Z-Warriors ever train in case of another threat like Cell or Boo. They're martial artists--they train to get better in battle, find another ceiling of power and work hard to break that ceiling. As such, Gohan doesn't meet the criteria because he's not a fighter and actually did the opposite. Piccolo made him train because of the Saiyans, Gohan did image-training with Kuririn in case Vegeta came back, he trained with Goku & Piccolo because of the Androids and Future Gohan trained because of the Androids. Never has Gohan trained for his own desire when there wasn't a threat he knew of.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:16 am

What I don't get is that people think that being a scholar is equivalent to not having physical exercise and not giving a damn about other responsibilities.
I know a lot of people who study high-yield subjects but still put some time to keep in shape and to feel good.
For Gohan to be slacking off is just pure shônen generalization of him as a scholar. Nowadays what you study or do doesn't reflect over your other goals too much.

You don't need to be a fighter to keep your body in great shape.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:26 am

Godo wrote:What I don't get is that people think that being a scholar is equivalent to not having physical exercise and not giving a damn about other responsibilities.
I know a lot of people who study high-yield subjects but still put some time to keep in shape and to feel good.
For Gohan to be slacking off is just pure shônen generalization of him as a scholar. Nowadays what you study or do doesn't reflect over your other goals too much.

You are underestimating just how much training Goku and Vegeta do.

Real life scholars, if they are lucky, will keep an average of about half an hour or an hour of workout per day. They usually won`t have any more time to workout since they need the rest of the day to do their work and study (8 hours at least), eat and sleep and whatnot.

This is what I imagine Gohan would do, if he trained.

Goku and Vegeta on the other hand... Training IS their job. They probably train 8, 9 or 10 hours a day or more. No way Gohan can compete with that, even if he could get enough training to not grow weaker.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:55 am

Ahiru77 wrote:So these are 7 reasons why it was a good thing that Gohan quit fighting and became a scholar. It's a good life decision, yes.

It's no fun, you can't use him for adventure and I think fans won't get any kicks out of him reading a book. But a good life decision nevertheless. :)
Why do you say that? I got plenty of kicks watching Gohan go to high school, try to fit in, fall into comedic situations, and attempt to set himself up as a superhero. I strongly wish Toriyama had kept the series going like that because, as the anime shows, it would have been awesome.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm

Usually I'd stand up for Gohan not becoming a narrow-minded fighter and it being fully plausable that he would live the way he does, dress the way he does, etc. HOWEVER, it is not logical that he becomes so weak and useless because he IS a fighter. Every piece of material that describes Gohan says that his dreams are to be a "great scholar." But that's not really true as a kid. He always wanted to get out of studying and wanted to go run off to fight. In the episode right before Goku awakens from his heart disease, he even says that what he really wants is to grow up strong and be able to help everyone just like Goku. So honestly, it boggles my mind that he would just quit training altogether.

My beef with GT Gohan is that he is weak. Him going Super Saiyan... well he looks cool, but I'd appreciate it if they were going down that route, if they'd at least provide an explanation of some sorts as to how he can become Super Saiyan. A simple, "Damn look how weak I've gotten! I didn't even need to become Super Saiyan while fighting Boo thanks to old Kaiohshin's power boost. Now look at me!" would satisfy me.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Godo wrote:What I don't get is that people think that being a scholar is equivalent to not having physical exercise and not giving a damn about other responsibilities.

Last I checked, he was still one of the strongest fighters in the universe in late Z and GT. He just wasn't as strong as he was at his peak. He's definitely still keeping in shape, but he's not pushing his limits to become even more powerful, or even maintain the ridiculous power he had. Which makes sense. That's not his bag.
Usually I'd stand up for Gohan not becoming a narrow-minded fighter and it being fully plausable that he would live the way he does, dress the way he does, etc. HOWEVER, it is not logical that he becomes so weak and useless because he IS a fighter.
Again, just because he becomes weak and useless compared to god-like fighters like Buu, Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4 doesn't mean he's let himself go to ruin. He's still incredibly strong, and it's obvious he isn't just sitting around on his ass all the time. He just doesn't push himself like Goku or Vegeta. Consider it more like what Krillin does; continuing to train just to keep in shape and for a bit of fun.
Every piece of material that describes Gohan says that his dreams are to be a "great scholar." But that's not really true as a kid. He always wanted to get out of studying and wanted to go run off to fight. In the episode right before Goku awakens from his heart disease, he even says that what he really wants is to grow up strong and be able to help everyone just like Goku. So honestly, it boggles my mind that he would just quit training altogether.
He wants to be a hero and help people, not necessarily be a fighter. To that extent, he's still one of the strongest guys around, which is enough for him to consider his job done, and he does very actively try to be a hero via the Great Saiyaman. Everything seems pretty in character to me.
My beef with GT Gohan is that he is weak. Him going Super Saiyan... well he looks cool, but I'd appreciate it if they were going down that route, if they'd at least provide an explanation of some sorts as to how he can become Super Saiyan. A simple, "Damn look how weak I've gotten! I didn't even need to become Super Saiyan while fighting Boo thanks to old Kaiohshin's power boost. Now look at me!" would satisfy me.
While I'm pretty lenient with GT, I do agree with this. It's not hard to fill in the gaps on your own, that he probably lost the power-up from lack of use, but there should have been a one-sentence explanation at least. Huge oversight.