Best choreographed battle

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Best choreographed battle

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Upon looking at my avatar of Goku vs. Kuririn at the 22nd Tenka'ichi Budôkai (credit to Kunzait_83 for making it, thanks! :D ), I was thinking about how well-choreographed it looked. So, which battle in Dragon Ball do you think is the most well-chereographed? This isn't the same question as "What's your favourite battle?", because some people may like a particular battle for reasons other than choreography.
Last edited by Piccolo Daimao on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Best choreographed battle

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:26 pm

I'd say either Goku vs. Cell (Episode 179), Goku vs. Majin Vegeta (the short bit from episode 232 - absolutely fluid animation) and Goku vs Kid Buu from episode 279.

Honorable mention goes to the entirety of episode 34.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Son Gokû v. Ma Junior, for sure. That battle at the twenty-third Tenka'ichi had the strongest choreography I've seen in just about any medium. The blows all had such great impact to them but neither ever gave an inch, always retaliating with sharp precision.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:32 pm

SSJ2 Goku Vs. Majin Vegeta.
El Conejo Malo

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Buutenks Vs. Ultimate Gohan. Simpley for the punch Buu swings at Gohan's head from behind, just to let him know who is in control.

Perfect
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Perfect » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Goku vs. Cell

SSJ2 Goku vs. Majin Vegeta

Goku vs. Piccolo

Gohan vs. Buu

Too many to list.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Hoppey

Post by Hoppey » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:40 pm

I'm shocked that Goku vs. Garlic Jr.'s henchmen from Movie 1 hasen't been mentioned yet, that is definatly some of the best animation/choreography that I have ever seen for a martial arts show.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Hoppey wrote:I'm shocked that Goku vs. Garlic Jr.'s henchmen from Movie 1 hasen't been mentioned yet, that is definatly some of the best animation/choreography that I have ever seen for a martial arts show.
Definately. The fights in the first three movies, all had excellent choreography IMO.

Codarik
Advanced Regular

Post by Codarik » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Hoppey wrote:I'm shocked that Goku vs. Garlic Jr.'s henchmen from Movie 1 hasen't been mentioned yet, that is definatly some of the best animation/choreography that I have ever seen for a martial arts show.
Definately. The fights in the first three movies, all had excellent choreography IMO.
I agree.

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Movie 12 also had great choreography.
Fox666 wrote:It seems you have pissed a lot of people on this forum, and I am quite sure they would like to call you stupid and say that's the designated adjectives for you. But they don't do that because of there are rules in this community.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Generally, most of the fights in the 21st-23rd Tenka'ichi Budokais are really well choreographed in my opinion. I especially like how Goku vs. Tenshinhan was choreographed. That battle had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:19 am

Son Vs. Majin Vegeta is one that REALLY stands out to me, I remember it easily without having to think about it.

Son Vs. Cell from the beginning of the Cell games is a good one too.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:47 am

Yamcha vs Ten.

Both have different styles that you can only truly capture with anime. What's even better about this fight is that the outcome was not clear. Either one could have won, in my opinion.

Because a "well choreographed" fight is never one-sided. In the sense that when it's over you can't look at one fighter and say "Man, you never had a ghost of a chance".

Perfect

Post by Perfect » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:13 am

Ahiru77 wrote: Because a "well choreographed" fight is never one-sided. In the sense that when it's over you can't look at one fighter and say "Man, you never had a ghost of a chance".
Well Goku never really had a chance against Cell, but that fight was spectacular. :P

Snail

Post by Snail » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:50 am

Son Goku Vs. Piccolo (MaJunior)

The lead up to this confrontation was great. The fight itself is that much more intense when you see exactly how far Goku's skill has since grown. Not to mention, the tenacity both fighters exuded made for an exciting match-up. The fight reaches highs and lows without self-parody, and is one of the most creative of battles from the entire series, spanning from Dragonball to GT.

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:26 am

So....no Jackie Chun fans, then?

Snail

Post by Snail » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:33 am

Not necessarily. We're just posting the most prominent of choreographed fight scenes. Ours just didn't happen to include ol' Jackie Chun. :P

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:34 am

SSJ2 Goku Vs. Kid Buu, amazing animation to back it up, as well.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

LilKokuLink
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by LilKokuLink » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:08 am

Aah, I think this is a great topic to discuss. Personally I believe t :) he best choreographed fights were during the three tenkaichi budokais during the original DragonBall series; partly due to the fact that there were less ki blasts. The reason is that I don't think the ki blasts allow us to experience the extent to which the fight has come and in contrast, the physical techniques presented in the 21st, 22nd and 23rd tenkaichi budokai do. However, I must say there was a really tasteful scene during the Goku and Majin Vegeta fight which was a great exception.

I haven't watched DragonBall for some time, so my mind is not too fresh. I believe the best choreographed fight for me would be the fight between Tien and Yamcha, that would be the fight when Yamcha broke his leg. I think the fact that it was two people of similar strength made it the best choreographed fight. Fantastic stuff
Actions have reactions so don't be quick to judge, you may not know the hardships that people don't speak of.
Dub fan.
Naveed.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Yamcha versus Tenshinhan is my all time favorite fight in Dragonball. Watching this two part, is what made me a long time fan of the two characters. Similar strength, totally different art styles, and so well put on animation.

And better than how it was drawn in the Manga too. I like how all the other fights looked on paper, except this one.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not