Funi dragon box on ps3

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Funi dragon box on ps3

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:21 pm

The black lines on the Wide-Screen movies aren't bad at all.

If 4:3 was still even remotely relevant, why is it that Blu-Ray left it behind? Same thing is happening to Flash.
El Conejo Malo

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:24 pm

Bardo117 wrote:The black lines on the Wide-Screen movies aren't bad at all.

If 4:3 was still even remotely relevant, why is it that Blu-Ray left it behind? Same thing is happening to Flash.
Those Kai Blurays seem to be doing fine in 4:3.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Bardo, nobody here is against new things being made in widescreen instead of old-school 4:3. The obvious fact that everyone's trying to say is that things should be released and viewed in whatever aspect ratio they were originally made and/or intended for.

For all three of the Dragon Ball TV series, that intended ratio is 4:3.

It's fine if, when watching your 4:3 release, you choose to crop or stretch it with your own TV for your own viewing pleasure. We just want to make sure you understand that they should be released in their intended format.
Kendamu wrote:Those Kai Blurays seem to be doing fine in 4:3.
Yeah, that too.

There's an absolutely gorgeous, DragonBox-equivalent Bluray release of Yu Yu Hakusho in Japan, too. That was also kept in 4:3 because that's how the show was produced.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Kaboom wrote:Bardo, nobody here is against new things being made in widescreen instead of old-school 4:3. The obvious fact that everyone's trying to say is that things should be released and viewed in whatever aspect ratio they were originally made and/or intended for.

For all three of the Dragon Ball TV series, that intended ratio is 4:3.
Kendamu wrote:Those Kai Blurays seem to be doing fine in 4:3.
Yeah, that too.
That's true. It should be viewed in the native aspect, but with todays Tv's, watching 4:3 really bothers me.
El Conejo Malo

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Totally. I've no problem with the movies, the Jump Special, the newest games, or PTETSS being in 16:9. They were meant to be that way!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Kendamu wrote:Totally. I've no problem with the movies, the Jump Special, the newest games, or PTETSS being in 16:9. They were meant to be that way!
Me either. But I don't have a problem viewing DBZ in Widescreen....
El Conejo Malo

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:08 am

Bardo117 wrote: If 4:3 was still even remotely relevant, why is it that Blu-Ray left it behind?
4:3 hasn't been left behind at all. Blu-ray does encode things at a different native ratio than DVD, but content that was made in 4:3 is still being presented as such, whether it's Dragon Ball Kai, The Wizard of Oz, or The Twilight Zone.
You can't "update" 4:3 content by stretching it or cropping it to 16:9; you're just marring the framing. It's the same as watching a a pan-and-scan version of a widescreen film on a 4:3 TV.
I can see their parachutes.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:03 am

On the PS3 you can typically just go into the video options and play around with the "BD/DVD Upscaler" settings. If you want it to still display in 4:3 and upscale, you just set it to "Double Scale". Set it to "Full Screen" to stretch it to fill the entire screen. I've actually been watching the dragon boxes this way XD though I really shouldn't be.

Also, 4:3 looks just fine....DBKai on bluray looks pretty damn magnificent on it ;)

Also, not relevant, but I totally promote the "Sequential Playback" feature on the PS3. It's so wonderful. I love being able to drop in a different movie or something and then coming back to another dvd and it starting up where it left off. This feature is amazing. I really adore it. Especially when I'd be watching anime dvds/bds and I go to watch something else...then when I pop the disc back in it starts from exactly where I left off. Makes me so happy :)

GizmoKSX
Beyond Newbie

Post by GizmoKSX » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Jon Jon wrote:Also, not relevant, but I totally promote the "Sequential Playback" feature on the PS3. It's so wonderful. I love being able to drop in a different movie or something and then coming back to another dvd and it starting up where it left off. This feature is amazing. I really adore it. Especially when I'd be watching anime dvds/bds and I go to watch something else...then when I pop the disc back in it starts from exactly where I left off. Makes me so happy :)
I love that feature too. Saves me the trouble of having to remember exactly where I left off when getting back to DBZ after several days.
I can see their parachutes.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:36 pm

Bardo117 wrote:If 4:3 was still even remotely relevant, why is it that Blu-Ray left it behind?
Hey there, incredibly misinformed person.
Ever watched the Star Trek: The Original Series Blu-Ray box sets?
The black pillars in those sets are actually a part of the picture, meaning there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.
How's that for leaving it behind?
Dragon Ball Z was created with the intention of being viewed in 4:3, fucking around with that aspect ratio is worsening the actual quality of the footage.

Choice195
Banned

Post by Choice195 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:30 pm

If your so picky about the 4:3 ratio, just buy the retched remastered sets.