Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Harmony Gold Dub on YouTube

Post by Ashura » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:02 pm

I'll let you guys know when I finish it.

Right now I'm at a stopping point, though. To fix the ending, I need to find a good quality version of the Kintoun sound effect to fix a music splice. I'm also wondering if there's a better quality version of the Harmony Gold intro that's posted on Temple of Trunks as an RM somewhere, since the rutube video cuts off the very beginning of Mystical Adventure. Right now I sourced a splice from that and fixed the levels so it works seamlessly, but I figure it could be better.

By the by, the audio on the rutube version is stereo, but one of the audio channel's is completely gone, so I downmixed it so that both were on either side. Puto, I did PM you, by the by, about the better audio. Thank you for the offer of help!
Adamant wrote:To be fair, this IS early-DB Yamucha we're talking about, and he'd probably be freaked out by something like that in the original anyway.
Point. In fact, earlier in the movie, Bulma merely being there scares him off.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Willie D

Post by Willie D » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Ashura wrote:By the by, the audio on the rutube version is stereo, but one of the audio channel's is completely gone, so I downmixed it so that both were on either side.

The VCR used was, to put it lightly, a piece of junk. It only had one audio channel out although I can't tell you if the tape was stereo or not. The tape used is a 2nd gen copy of the original TV recording so it also could have gotten mono'ed during dubbing.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:35 am

Willie D wrote:The VCR used was, to put it lightly, a piece of junk. It only had one audio channel out although I can't tell you if the tape was stereo or not. The tape used is a 2nd gen copy of the original TV recording so it also could have gotten mono'ed during dubbing.
Thank you for the info; Was Robotech done in stereo? Voltron was one of the first -- if not the first -- stereo cartoons; if I remember correctly it was used to demo hi-fi tvs at the time. Voltron and Robotech came out around the same time, and this is circa then. I think Robotech was actually mono, so if it was, this probably was too. (If someone knows differently, let me know.)

Even still, I just did a little research into this, and it's highly unlikely that this was recorded in stereo at the time, since hi-fi stereo VHSes JUST came out in 1985. It was super expensive, though, and highly unlikely they had one.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:03 pm

Ashura wrote:By the by, the audio on the rutube version is stereo, but one of the audio channel's is completely gone, so I downmixed it so that both were on either side.
Rutube probably encodes their videos in stereo even if it actually is mono.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Ashura wrote:So I've been restoring the first Harmony Gold feature using way way better footage and cleaning up the audio with the help of a friend of mine to keep in my personal collection.
Did you put in the FUNi or Japanese version where it's censored?

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:48 am

I've been using the Dragonbox footage. There's no real 'censoring,' just a bunch of edited out sections of video (as outlined earlier.)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:21 pm

Ashura wrote:I've been using the Dragonbox footage. There's no real 'censoring,' just a bunch of edited out sections of video (as outlined earlier.)
And what do you put into these gaps?

Namekjin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namekjin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 pm

I can't believe that they did not censor Master Roshi's nose bleed but just made it seem that Bulma slapped him. :lol:
"This is gonna be easier than coloring inside the lines!" - Vegeta
"OVER 9000!" - Vegeta
"YOU'LL NEVER ESCAPE....MY WRATH!!!" - Vegeta
Nobody wrote : The Season Sets are superior in every way!!!

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 am

sangofe wrote: And what do you put into these gaps?
I think you don't understand what I've done.

What I actually did is took the dragon box footage and redid every edit that Harmony Gold did myself/with a friend, which is why I had such a detailed list. I didn't fill the gaps, I removed footage wherever gaps showed up.

Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOnRAPjuPM

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Ashura wrote:

What I actually did is took the dragon box footage and redid every edit that Harmony Gold did myself/with a friend, which is why I had such a detailed list. I didn't fill the gaps, I removed footage wherever gaps showed up.

Oh... What a shame, it would have been much better with a Japanese version with subs inbetween.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Isn't that what France did for their uncut DVDs?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:56 pm

sangofe wrote:
Ashura wrote:

Oh... What a shame, it would have been much better with a Japanese version with subs inbetween.
I disagree. If the point is to see what this dub is really like, why put Japanese in there too? That'd just make it longer than necessary.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:07 pm

Ashura wrote:I've been using the Dragonbox footage. There's no real 'censoring,' just a bunch of edited out sections of video (as outlined earlier.)
My biggest question would probably be; how could we get a creditless "Dragon Ball Densetsu" sequence?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:16 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Isn't that what France did for their uncut DVDs?
Yes, and it is the only way to get a complete version of something when things have been edited out.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:22 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:
My biggest question would probably be; how could we get a creditless "Dragon Ball Densetsu" sequence?
I could get the video to be one half Harmony Gold, one half Japanese. It might look a little strange, but the bottom half of the Harmony Gold one is textless I believe, and most of the upper half is as well. It's only the middle that has text on it. I believe the Japanese one is textless in the middle, so I could splice them together.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:19 pm

What I was going to do is tack on the HG op and end in VHS quality onto the end and use the original opening animation (with their song) + closing. The only other way to do it properly would be to take a version of it that's close to being creditless and erase out all the extra text frame by frame at the bottom.

I don't think anyone has that kind of time to donate though.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:
KiddoCabbusses wrote:
I could get the video to be one half Harmony Gold, one half Japanese. It might look a little strange, but the bottom half of the Harmony Gold one is textless I believe, and most of the upper half is as well. It's only the middle that has text on it. I believe the Japanese one is textless in the middle, so I could splice them together.
Harmony Gold's "Dragon Ball Densetsu" animation is completely textless -- it is the only available textless version of that anywhere in the entire world.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Puto wrote: Harmony Gold's "Dragon Ball Densetsu" animation is completely textless -- it is the only available textless version of that anywhere in the entire world.
I'm confused, what exactly is Densetsu? i was talking about the intro.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Dragon Ball Densetsu is the ending sequence to movie 3 -- where Gokū and co. summon the dragon to revive Bora. It's credited on every release and/or airing on the planet except Harmony Gold's dub.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:18 pm

Puto wrote:Dragon Ball Densetsu is the ending sequence to movie 3 -- where Gokū and co. summon the dragon to revive Bora. It's credited on every release and/or airing on the planet except Harmony Gold's dub.
So until he uploaded this, nobody's ever seen anything behind the blue rectangle with the credits scroll?