Toei Officially Acknowledges Yamamoto's Kai Rip-Offs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Re: Toei Officially Acknowledges Yamamoto's Kai Rip-Offs

Post by Gozar » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:52 pm

KaiserNeko wrote:I promise not to get TOO far off topic here, but that isn't watching a show. That's annoying and totally takes you out of the experience of WATCHING A SERIES.

Sorry, but that argument has always grated on my nerves. I want to be able to sit back and watch the series, not have to constantly fast forward when things are dragging or when there's filler. Not to mention, they don't just cut the filler. They cut down on lingering shots, too. A lot of the filler is also woven into the story. In Kai, everything is tightened up. To get the same experience, you'd be fast forwarding EVERY OTHER MINUTE.
As I'm sure you well know, the DragonBall franchise began as a Manga. My loyalties to the depiction of the franchise first and formost lie in the Manga. That being said, with a Manga there are no voices or music. It is that fact that makes me willing to accept and become interested in difference voices, different takes on a scene, and different music. Unlike you, I don't view my DragonBall fandom as "watching a series", but rather taking in a storyline and characters (As they were depicted in the Manga). After 9 years of watching through the franchise beginning to end many times with different voice casts and about 20 different musical scores I think I've earned the right to not only decide which filler I like and which I would prefer to skip by rather than watch in disgust for the n'th time, but also expierience the franchise that I love in different lights. Whether that be through different music or diffeent voices. I refuse to keep my mind closed to different takes from the Manga in animated format.

Like I said, I've got my personal preferences. But that doesn't mean that I can't also enjoy the series through a different set of eyes (Or I guess rather, ears).

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:33 pm

I knew about the rip-offs but some of them did sound original (of course that's in in every 1-5 songs), but if Toei does basically reenlist the Kikuchi score I'd be all for it.

I doubt this is the reason why Kai was cancelled, but why didn't they just make Kikuchi make/reuse the original score to begin with?
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Never, in a million years would anyone have seen this coming.
I'm concerned about what this means for the last three episodes and the future release of Kai in the U.S. Will Part 5 be pushed back so they can remix the dialouge with the replacment score or will they just go ahead and release everything that's already been finished? Will the final three episodes also be delayed so they can remix the dialouge? Will Kai go on a hiatus in America so they can switch around the music?

Argh, to be honest, I'm quite disappointed. They've come so far! They're three episodes away and now they may screw up the consistency with the return of Shunsuke (Not that I don't like Kikuchi, but I want my Kai consistent and I really love the Kai score too). I really hope they don't pull all exsisting copies of Kai off the shelves so they can change the audio as Part 4 (The part I've been waiting for) still hasn't come out in NZ and I'll be really disappointed if I don't get my Yamamoto score. It's a good thing people recorded the oringal broadcast episodes though as they could become rare!
It also takes away some of the refreshness of Kai. Without the updated score it's just a cut up, remastered version of the original.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:I knew about the rip-offs but some of them did sound original (of course that's in in every 1-5 songs), but if Toei does basically reenlist the Kikuchi score I'd be all for it.

I doubt this is the reason why Kai was cancelled, but why didn't they just make Kikuchi make/reuse the original score to begin with?
Possibly Toei thought the original score was too outdated, and/or Kikuchi might not have been available to do a score for Kai. Those are just my guesses, though.
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:39 pm

My mind was blown by the website entry about this. The fact that this was allowed to simply happen is both amusing and sad, because i keep hoping that someday Toei could probably make something new (or just make the Kai ending as seen in the kanzenban. That was always my theory lol)

If Kikuchi's name is being dropped into Kai, i would either hope for a new score made by Kikuchi...or just the original Z score, as seen in what Toei did with the footage for every damn episode of Kai.
Either way, new Kageyama opening and ending is obligatory! :P (Please?)

(I imagine a Funimation executive going "You know what? Fuck Dragon Ball! It's cursed! Something always goes wrong with what we release!....Oh, it was Toei this time....Still.")
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Let's just say that if an episode airs this weekend (it's possible one may not due to the quake), it will be very interesting to hear whose music they use.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:28 pm

Oh no!! Please, no, no!! Toei, don't ruin Kai for the few last episodes!!
Create some new music if necessary, there's time if airing is suspended, but please, please Toei, don't use the 80s-90s outdated flat soundtrack!
Use it for reruns for all I care, but don't sacrifice the few last episodes in a show in which 75% of the amazing result is because there's a decent soundtrack!

What's the point of a new HD visuals if we get an old boring music to go with it! Fans of this music have Dragon Ball Z, don't contaminate Kai with this! (even the special "Goku and his friends return" is a pleasure to watch but a real pain to hear ONLY because of that old un-involving music)!

If Kikuchi is involved, ask for authorization to take music directly from other recent anime he's done, or ask him to make a few new pieces, but not even one old piece, not for the beautiful ending we've expected. Don't end a great show with low quality episodes ruined by the sound taking all the emotion away, please!!

Ducard
Beyond Newbie

Re: Toei Officially Acknowledged Yamamoto's Rip-Offs

Post by Ducard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:31 pm

It's a little bewildering that Yamamoto resorted to plagiarizing from other sources, when the original DBZ score was there for the taking.
Piccolo Daimao wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:Which is even funnier when you think about the fact that Terminator itself is actually a rip off, which James Cameron himself admitted (bragged about).
It is...?
Cameron's Terminator copied some of Harlan Ellison's stories in The Outer Limits. After a lawsuit came about, Ellison received some compensation, and his name appeared in the credits for Terminator.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Cold Skin wrote:If Kikuchi is involved, ask for authorization to take music directly from other recent anime he's done, or ask him to make a few new pieces, but not even one old piece, not for the beautiful ending we've expected. Don't end a great show with low quality episodes ruined by the sound taking all the emotion away, please!!
Are you kidding me? Kikuchi music built on the emotion.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:02 pm

This is great news in the sense that I will get to see Kai with DBZ music, but bad news I guess because Toei will have to pay fines and that makes it even less possible to see the buu saga?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Cold Skin wrote:If Kikuchi is involved, ask for authorization to take music directly from other recent anime he's done, or ask him to make a few new pieces, but not even one old piece, not for the beautiful ending we've expected. Don't end a great show with low quality episodes ruined by the sound taking all the emotion away, please!!
This track plays right after everyone realizes Goku died from Cell's explosion in Z. Gohan is crying, angry with himself that he didn't listen to his father and that because of him, Goku sacrificed himself in order to protect everyone. Kuririn comforts Gohan, telling him that he did his best and that his father at least died with a content look on his face, knowing how strong his son had gotten.

So tell us. How does that track not emphasize any kind of emotion or take away from the scene?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/TsukentoX]YouTube Profile[/url]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Tsukento wrote:
This track plays right after everyone realizes Goku died from Cell's explosion in Z. Gohan is crying, angry with himself that he didn't listen to his father and that because of him, Goku sacrificed himself in order to protect everyone. Kuririn comforts Gohan, telling him that he did his best and that his father at least died with a content look on his face, knowing how strong his son had gotten.

So tell us. How does that track not emphasize any kind of emotion or take away from the scene?
Maybe Cold Skin would rather hear this.

I wouldn't, though.

Can I get a Schemen?

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:17 pm

sangofe wrote:This is great news in the sense that I will get to see Kai with DBZ music, but bad news I guess because Toei will have to pay fines and that makes it even less possible to see the buu saga?
Doubt it. Pretty sure the case with there not being a Boo saga was simply because Dragon Ball wasn't making a profit for Toei compared to what One Piece was. Dragon Ball's last big year was in 2007 (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this be the year the Dragon Boxes started coming out?). There was evidence from the beginning that Kai was pretty much a cheaply made product by Toei, especially with Kaioshin's seiyuu saying he wasn't sure Toei could afford to bring him aboard. Might also explain why they switched around so many of the voices, primarily Freeza's henchmen, even if some of them were still voicing minor characters rather than their primary roles.

The real bad news is that we have a Sound Director that can't choose the proper tunes to use to save his life. He chose the wrong pieces with Kai's music and is already choosing the wrong pieces with Z's music. :\

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:23 pm

Tsukento wrote:

That totally doesnt fit with Kai. Just my opinion.

Hao_Kaiser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Hao_Kaiser » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Gotham22 wrote:That totally doesnt fit with Kai. Just my opinion.
Based on what? Just the fact that it doesn't match the score that they used for the past ~90 episodes?
Last edited by Hao_Kaiser on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Kunzait_83, on FUNimation's dub of [i]Dragon Ball Z[/i]"]"ACTION!!! EXTREME!!! AMERICAN!!!! PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!!! FUCK YEAH!!!"[/quote]
On [url=http://twitter.com/joey_blanton]my Twitter[/url], postin' some mad tweets.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:48 pm

It's music made specifically for Dragon Ball Z. Dragon Ball Kai is Dragon Ball Z trimmed in places to flow at a better pace. Where does the "not fitting with Kai" come in?

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:09 pm

Cold Skin wrote: What's the point of a new HD visuals if we get an old boring music to go with it! Fans of this music have Dragon Ball Z, don't contaminate Kai with this! (even the special "Goku and his friends return" is a pleasure to watch but a real pain to hear ONLY because of that old un-involving music)!
What "new HD visuals?" Except for a few scenes here and there that stick out like a sore thumb, it's the exact same footage as DBZ.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Tsukento wrote:
It's music made specifically for Dragon Ball Z. Dragon Ball Kai is Dragon Ball Z trimmed in places to flow at a better pace. Where does the "not fitting with Kai" come in?
For Z, not Kai.

That trumpet stuff is too out dated.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:15 pm

CODii wrote: What "new HD visuals?" Except for a few scenes here and there that stick out like a sore thumb, it's the exact same footage as DBZ.
This has been my main problem with Kai.

Anyway, why are people arguing about the Z score and the Kai score. It's over, there's no point in arguing something that will not be changed. Whether you like Kai's (Yamamoto's Cover Album) score or Kikuchi's (0-m-g, so Lamez and outdated, does not fit KAI's EXTREME SUPER POWER!) Score. Whether you like it or not it's a done deal. If you like Yamamoto, buy the soundtracks. They are still available for purchase. Everyone has different tastes in everything.

My only concern with KiKuchi's score being brought in is, will it fit how the scenes are edited in Kai?

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:21 pm

it's not even offcial if it's going to be the true Z music. There could be some touch ups and updates to it.