Dragon Ball/DC Comics crossover - a good idea?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Dragon Ball/DC Comics crossover - a good idea?

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:55 pm

Does anyone think that a Dragon Ball/DC Comics crossover, or even just a Dragon Ball/Superman crossover, would be a good idea? I'm talking about a series, video games, whatever you want. Would it be a good opportunity to boost sales in the Dragon Ball franchise?
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball/DC Comics crossover - a good idea?

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:00 pm

I don't think Shueisha'd let them do it, but if they did, I think I'd watch/read it. I'm more familiar with DC than I am with Marvel, so I'd have a more knowledgeable grasp of the characters.
I'd definitely want to involve Batman and/or Gotham City somehow.

I'd like to see them team up against the bad guys though; I don't want to see the heroes fighting each other. ^^;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:23 pm

If the story is good then why not? I know people will say that Dragon Ball characters are stronger then most mainstream DC characters but I don't think that matters since they made Superman crossovers with Terminator, Alien, Predator, Popeye, and He-Man before.

I think the idea can only work if Bird Studio, Warner Bros. Interactive Enteratinment, and DC comics can make some agreement with each other.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:10 pm

I just really don't see how this would work. The characters and their styles are completely different. It doesn't make sense to have them interacting in my opinion.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:12 pm

CODii wrote:I just really don't see how this would work. The characters and their styles are completely different. It doesn't make sense to have them interacting in my opinion.
The same could have been said with Bugs Bunny and Superman, but that happened. Crossovers exist to make money! But a Dragon Ball crossover would be a bit of a stretch but doable.

Ahiru77
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ahiru77 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:23 pm

This could work.

You could have a few Z-fighters go looking for a dragonball in Gotham City and Metropolis.

Send Goku & Vegeta to Metropolis, cause they'd otherwise be too strong for Batman. Those two are always hilarious together. :mrgreen:

But then they'd have to force Akira doing stuff he doesn't want to.......snap.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Goku and Superman? Hell yes!
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:54 pm

If I was going to make a Dragon Ball crossover then it would be a crossover with Image since I'm a big fan of a Indy comics and they are my favorite comic inc next to Marvel. It would be nice to see something fresh and original then Goku against Superman or Thor. It will never happen but I can dream.

I think Goku vs. Superman would sell better but I feel like a crossover with Marvel might be better since they have a better section of characters. Like Goku vs. Silver Surfer, Mr. Satan vs. Captain America, Vegeta vs. Thor, and Broly vs. The Hulk.
She/Her

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
CODii wrote:I just really don't see how this would work. The characters and their styles are completely different. It doesn't make sense to have them interacting in my opinion.
The same could have been said with Bugs Bunny and Superman, but that happened. Crossovers exist to make money! But a Dragon Ball crossover would be a bit of a stretch but doable.
Just because it happened, that doesn't mean I have to think it's a good idea.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:41 pm

There are many other franchises I would rather see DB have a crossover with and would be more compatible.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:56 pm

CODii wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:
Just because it happened, that doesn't mean I have to think it's a good idea.
I think it can be a good idea depends who writes it. I also love to see Alex Ross do some Dragon Ball work if the crossover was made. He is the best comic book artist that is alive at the moment next to Jim Lee IMO.
She/Her

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:50 pm

I think it'd be a fun ride. The best premise for a story would be one that involves the clashes of personalities and moralities, espicially with guys like Vegeta who would probably screw with the heroes for poops and giggles. :P
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:44 am

Definitely need Alex Ross on the cover of such a crossover. He did such a good job on the MK vs DCU Kollector's Edition cover:

As a big DC Comics fans (pretty heavy reader every week, when I'm not behind), I would love such a crossover. Of course, the plot might be tricky, but I'd love to see both sides do it, with Shonen Jump doing their side, and DC doing theirs. Let both character's sides be seen with a new art style. Goku vs Superman has to happen at some point, even if it's brief. A little spar, if nothing else.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

piccolo-san785
Beyond Newbie

Post by piccolo-san785 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:44 am

Oh god no. That would be a HORRIBLE idea.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:18 pm

I would love to see Robert Kirkman write it. The guy has a amazing track record and he appears to be a fan of Dragon Ball. I hope a crossover would have a better story then Marvel vs. Capcom 3 which had a lame story and Capcom lied to us about the deep story that this game was going to have :roll:.
She/Her

DemonRin
Advanced Regular

Post by DemonRin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:10 pm

A DC Crossover would work.
the DC characters' powers, especially Superman's, fluctuate depending on who is writing the comic at the time.

If we're talking about Superboy Prime? He'd fuck Son up 300 different ways before breakfast.

If we're talking 80's Superman, Son would wipe the floor with him.
"FUNi should take [DBZ] out behind the woodshed, give it one last treat, then blow its f%#@$ng brains out before it attacks the baby again." ~Rocketman

violadude
Beyond Newbie

Post by violadude » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Maybe Dragon ball and Superman
But I don't see how Dragon Ball could work as a crossover with batman since everyone in Batman is just a regular human unless I'm mistaken.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:57 pm

DemonRin wrote:A DC Crossover would work.
the DC characters' powers, especially Superman's, fluctuate depending on who is writing the comic at the time.

If we're talking about Superboy Prime? He'd fuck Son up 300 different ways before breakfast.
I'm surprised it took 15 posts for someone to bring up Superboy Prime; he's basically the one recurring character nearly every DB crossover discussion I've ever seen.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I would love to see Robert Kirkman write it. The guy has a amazing track record and he appears to be a fan of Dragon Ball. I hope a crossover would have a better story then Marvel vs. Capcom 3 which had a lame story and Capcom lied to us about the deep story that this game was going to have :roll:.
I was curious when Capcom made a big deal of of "trying" on the story; Tatsunoko vs Capcom's "Evil Entity is screwing things up, let's throw some people together and make some funny memories after the fact" is really all you can do if you don't put the two worlds in the same physical universe.

All that said, given that we could just ignore it the way we did Evolution (Although we'd have angry DC fans- among which Mewzard is not- at our throats from then on), I say "why not?".
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:07 am

violadude wrote:Maybe Dragon ball and Superman
But I don't see how Dragon Ball could work as a crossover with batman since everyone in Batman is just a regular human unless I'm mistaken.
Mr. Satan could fight all of Batman Inc and keep pointing out their tricks! Then they could take on Gotham's rogues together!

I'd love to see the heroes fight against Darkseid, or the Sinestro or Red Lantern Corps. Red Lanterns puke boiling blood all the time, that could probably damage the Z fighters.

The Anti-Monitor has been showing up a lot recently, and iirc he's called the strongest being in the DC universe. He could be the main villain along with.......

Pilaf.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:24 am

I think an interesting crossover would be the good guys as they are from 23rd Budokai-Saiyans arriving strength with the New Teen Titans from the 80s.