Dragonball Z: a show for heterosexual males only?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperAndroid11
Not-So-Newbie

Dragonball Z: a show for heterosexual males only?

Post by SuperAndroid11 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Does anyone know any female friends/family that watch DBZ? Is it primarily a show for heterosexuality males? There certainly are no positive female or homosexual characters that females/gays can relate to. I don't know just something I thought about. Not sure if anyone else has any opinions about this.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragonball Z: a show only for heterosexual males only?

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:25 pm

I don't think heterosexual males find enjoyment in Goku/Vegeta slash pairings in spite of how many there are, if that gives you any clue.

SuperAndroid11
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperAndroid11 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:40 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:I don't think heterosexual males find enjoyment in Goku/Vegeta slash pairings in spite of how many there are, if that gives you any clue.
What exactly are "slash pairings"? Your comment seems to be a nonsequitur to me.

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Here's what I mean:

Thankfully, Google image search's mostly got tamer stuff here.

... why'd you make me run a search on -this?-

SuperAndroid11
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperAndroid11 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:18 pm

KiddoCabbusses wrote:Here's what I mean:
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/ ... mersss.jpg

Thankfully, Google image search's mostly got tamer stuff here.

... why'd you make me run a search on -this?-
I'm pretty sure none of those are made by people who actually watch the show. Also, I honestly think you have those on your comp ("searched" ha).

Fox666
I Live Here

Post by Fox666 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Piccolo is quite a popular character. So what does this tell about the sexuality of Dragon Ball audience?

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:31 pm

There are plenty of those female-thingies in this community that seem to enjoy the series just fine. I mean, the manga was written for young boys, but that doesn't stop anyone from being able to enjoy it. Even my mother read and enjoyed the manga a while ago. I don't think people always need a character of their gender/sexual orientation/race to "relate to" to enjoy a show; I enjoy plenty of stuff that doesn't have strong, heterosexual male characters.
If TPP passes in your country it will be illegal for you to watch an imported DVD. Click here to learn more!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:32 pm

Yeah, I could've gone without ever seeing that picture (unless I won an icon bet on IGN and needed to make a particularly humiliating icon, lolz)
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Kiyza
Regular

Post by Kiyza » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 pm

As a girl, I find that even though there aren't exactly any main characters I feel like I can relate to in particular, I don't feel it changes the fact that I like the series. It's also possible to relate to a character who isn't the same gender/sexuality/species, you know. Girls often times like it for the same reasons that guys do. Some of us like explosions, some of us like the humor, the characters, the plot, etc. The fact that there aren't many female main characters doesn't actually bother me too much. Just because it's targeted towards one group of people doesn't mean that others can't enjoy it. I mean, most of the people on this forum are adults for starters.
KiddoCabbusses wrote:I don't think heterosexual males find enjoyment in Goku/Vegeta slash pairings in spite of how many there are, if that gives you any clue.
There are some guys who like slash, just not nearly as many as girls. I don't like slash too much myself because it's usually poorly written, and done just to be slash.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 pm

SuperAndroid11 wrote:I'm pretty sure none of those are made by people who actually watch the show.
That's a really closed-minded (and wrong) statement. People wouldn't care enough to draw art or write fanfics about those characters if they weren't familiar with them.

Anyway, female fans definitely exist, and one of them may even be writing this post. I don't need to be able to relate to characters to enjoy a story.
-Rachel

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragonball Z: a show for heterosexual males only?

Post by Velasa » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm kind of a female myself, and most of the people I grew up on the show with were females as well. It would be nice to have strong female characters, yeah, but we're completely capiable of liking and relating to characters who don't look like us.

And if you think people who've never watch a show spend that much time drawing slash of it? Yeah, I don't think so.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Chaz

Post by Chaz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm gay and I love the show. :)

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:50 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Akumaito Beam
Regular

Post by Akumaito Beam » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:15 am

I'm bisexual and honestly I couldn't care less what the characters do in bed. I'm invested in the story and the personalities of the characters. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make the slightest difference to me if Goku went home at the end of the Freeza saga and sucked a dick. Obviously that would probably change the story a bit in terms of children but I'm assuming you get my gist.

I feel the anime got a little offensive with General Blue lusting after a small child in the typical old fashioned way of thinking that gays are always pedophiles but I merely chalk it up to it being the 80's. Not that the time period excuses it from being hurtful of course but context is always important in these sorts of instances. I also haven't ruled out the notion that the anime writers just though Blue being a pedophile would add another dumb joke and take up some time without associating it with his homosexuality. It could be that Obatchan is really clean, polite and friendly which is the kind of guy Blue finds attractive and age didn't factor into it just for the sake of making a joke. I don't really know for sure which is probably another reason it doesn't offend me too much.
Last edited by Akumaito Beam on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:23 am

Akumaito Beam wrote:Goku went home at the end of the Freeza saga and sucked a dick
I'm sorry, but my brain just exploded...

...Carry on...
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:36 am

My sister likes it, although she gets sick me watching it at times, however she was REALLY into during the FUNI dub of the Cell arc though back in 2001. Nowadays she likes it in Japanese too. Her favourite character is Piccolo (I've noticed a few female fans like him).
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:40 am

I have at least 3 gay friends (1 of them female) who were nuts about the show during the Toonami. I know for a fact anyone can appreciate cool animation, fights, and characters. Fanfics though, that's just a poor side-effect of anything remotely popular or good...
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:52 am

I bring up DBZ to girls I meet fresh, or that I know and they ALL, and I mean ALL know what it is, who the cast consists of and the events up until at least the SSJ Goku/Freeza Battle on Namek.

No joke, you wanna get laid? Bring up the subject of DBZ to the womenfolk.
:P
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:06 am

Raithos wrote:I bring up DBZ to girls I meet fresh, or that I know and they ALL, and I mean ALL know what it is, who the cast consists of and the events up until at least the SSJ Goku/Freeza Battle on Namek.
:P
Man. I would do that back in the late 90's and they'd think I was talking about Pokemon. God damn the world you young people live in!

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 am

It's obvious you have never listened to the Daizex podcast before, because there happens to be a girl on there almost every week.