FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Re: FUNimation DBZ TV Blu-ray Official On-Going Thread

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:59 pm

At this rate, FUNimation will go bankrupt. To me, I don't give a crap about the blu-ray releases because The Dragonboxes are the ultimate editions in my opinion. The quality is simply beautiful and it won't be long until my friend mails me the entire region 2 collection copied on disc with imported subs.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:01 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:At this rate, FUNimation will go bankrupt.
And the leap in logic award goes to...
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:After thinking about this fallout, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that FUNimation will REALLY need to sell themselves for all they are worth now to get buyers to invest in Dragon Ball Z again. They may have gotten away with their controversial business practices in 2006 but that's only because the singles market was on the way out and the OB's just looked like a good deal to the regular Joe Schmoe buyer. They don't have that kind of knocking opportunity anymore.

The question is: Will people continue to trust FUNimation for Dragon Ball Z after this?
Nope! They cancel this... I haven't seen word of DBox Movies (or am I out of the loop on this?)... DBOX in the US is out of print... the list goes on.

I bought the R2 singles a few years back before the announcement that we would get them here. It took me forever to make subtitles for them, but I finally did it. After the DBox announcement and the BluRay announcements I was regretting it a bit - but I guess not so much now. I also bought the R2 DB singles... I feel pretty sure DB in that quality won't see the light of day here in the US.

I half expect them to release the Widescreen Masters on BluRay now...
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:26 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:The question is: Will people continue to trust FUNimation for Dragon Ball Z after this?
They're a pretty reliable company regardless what happened to these DBZ Level Blu-rays.

If the Dragon Boxes were remastered by FUNimation it'd probably end up suspended too, but thankfully it wasn't, instead they imported from Japan (Toei).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:17 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:The question is: Will people continue to trust FUNimation for Dragon Ball Z after this?
This fails as a practical question because Funimation hasn't committed any grave offense since the Orange Bricks, which sold well so it doesn't matter, nor as a hypothetical because the only way Funimation will lose Dragon Ball is when they go bankrupt. If Toei gave them complete Dragon Box copies, I don't think they'll deny them the license any time soon.

They put too much money into an over-saturated the market. Everyone here knew it was going to bite them in the butt at some point, and now it's happening. That's it.

Not the end of the world; hopefully Funimation will let the series take a breather for a while. Continuing the Levels but releasing them a much slower pace to make them a little easier to take might work too, if the workload was the issue.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:20 pm

After the Orange Bricks, Funi does a bunch of solid to amazing releases of the DB series... redeeming themselves quite a bit. They then have to cancel one series of releases due to monetary concerns, and suddenly the sky's falling and Funimation is shit again.

So. Much. Logic.

Realistically guys, at most you're out 30 bucks on these, and they're amazing disks... it's not the UUEs all over again.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:22 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_2A8YwJ ... re=related That`s perfect reaction for what happened.

In all seriousness through, i feel bad for any Z dub fan, they deserve perfect release as well. :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:39 pm

I guess I'll be picking the first two level sets up as soon as possible, then. They might be worth something down the road.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 pm

coola wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_2A8YwJ ... re=related That`s perfect reaction for what happened.

In all seriousness through, i feel bad for any Z dub fan, they deserve perfect release as well. :(
This has been discontinued, but there's still the Dragon Boxes, all seven were released, sure they're pricey but they're available.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

CaBrPi
Advanced Regular

Post by CaBrPi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:50 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
coola wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_2A8YwJ ... re=related That`s perfect reaction for what happened.

This has been discontinued, but there's still the Dragon Boxes, all seven were released, sure they're pricey but they're available.
But the Dragon Boxes were specifically meant to appeal to fans of the original Japanese version. There's no dub music.

Choujin Daizenshuu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Choujin Daizenshuu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:53 am

Blazingfiddlesticks wrote:This fails as a practical question because Funimation hasn't committed any grave offense since the Orange Bricks, which sold well so it doesn't matter, nor as a hypothetical because the only way Funimation will lose Dragon Ball is when they go bankrupt. If Toei gave them complete Dragon Box copies, I don't think they'll deny them the license any time soon.
You've completely missed the whole point of my question. This isn't a matter of what sold or who is holding the license, this is simply a matter of trust! Nothing more, nothing less.

Sales and trust are two completely different entities and to try and lump the two together is nothing short of ignorance where real economics is concerned. People don't have to trust a brand in order to buy it. Sometimes they will buy it because maybe, just maybe, there isn't anything else better on the market. The Dragon Ball Z discs are a clear example of this. People bought the OB's not because they consider FUNimation a trustworthy brand, they bought it because there wasn't any other better release for the discs at the time. Nobody could've anticipated the cancellation of the Ultimate Uncuts and nobody could've anticipated the coming of the Dragon Boxes. If people wanted the series, they had no choice but to buy the OB's. Why? Because FUNimation are the license holders and nobody else! You're also off when you stated that FUNimation hadn't committed any grave offense since the OB's. The Ultimate Uncut cancellations preceded the OB's by a good couple of months. The widescreen DVNR bullshit with the OB's came right after.

As for FUNimation not losing the license to Dragon Ball except bankruptcy? Laughable. You're forgetting that despite the success of Dragon Ball in America, the one who holds the cards over the license is Toei, period. If Toei wanted to, they can pull the license from FUNimation anytime they want. It's their property, it's their right. You also have to consider that in the current age of digital media distribution, anime companies like Toei could no longer see a need to getting their properties out to the western market through middlemen. All they need to do is get their own english translators to translate the works for them, upload, and distribute. That's it. The need for middlemen like FUNimation will be deemed irrelevant in the foreseeable future due to increased cost-benefits and ROI for the original license holders. FUNimation might as well start numbering their days in business.
Not the end of the world; hopefully Funimation will let the series take a breather for a while. Continuing the Levels but releasing them a much slower pace to make them a little easier to take might work too, if the workload was the issue.
We'll see......we'll see. Even if what you say is true, I'm not going to assume that everyone is going to be on board for the next release. Like I said before, FUNimation is really going to have to sell the series for all it's worth next time to get people to dip yet again.
Last edited by Choujin Daizenshuu on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:32 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:
Blazingfiddlesticks wrote:This fails as a practical question because Funimation hasn't committed any grave offense since the Orange Bricks, which sold well so it doesn't matter, nor as a hypothetical because the only way Funimation will lose Dragon Ball is when they go bankrupt. If Toei gave them complete Dragon Box copies, I don't think they'll deny them the license any time soon.

They put too much money into an over-saturated the market. Everyone here knew it was going to bite them in the butt at some point, and now it's happening. That's it.

We'll see......we'll see. Even if what you say is true, I'm not going to assume that everyone is going to be on board for the next release. Like I said before, FUNimation is really going to have to sell the series for all it's worth next time to get people to dip yet again.
Or at least past the Saiyan saga :P
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:49 pm

At this point...I'm just glad that I have the old Saiyan/Namek saga DVDs. lol

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:20 pm

I guess I'm glad I don't like the vegeta and namek arc very much.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Gotham22 wrote:I guess I'm glad I don't like the vegeta and namek arc very much.
I was really looking forward to the Cell games on the new discs though :evil:
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:28 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Gotham22 wrote:I guess I'm glad I don't like the vegeta and namek arc very much.
I was really looking forward to the Cell games on the new discs though :evil:
Yeah, I looking foward to the freeza arc to end with this release.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Choujin Daizenshuu wrote:

Oh, I agree. I remember EX bringing up comments of "Wait, they're remastering it again?" in regards to Kai on their review episode of the podcast, and that was back in what... late 2009? There's certainly franchise fatigue, it'd be spectacular if there wasn't. I think when I wrote that I was just feeling that over-saturating the market was the biggest part of the problem. Thinking on it again, I don't know.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:08 am

Just a couple of days ago Funimation deleted the Level sets from their page but now their back up again?
http://www.funimation.com/funimation-ge ... ions-march
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

ET93
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ET93 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:33 am

samuraix123 wrote:Just a couple of days ago Funimation deleted the Level sets from their page but now their back up again?
http://www.funimation.com/funimation-ge ... ions-march
Hmm, you sure? It says last edited 01/06/12?

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 am

I'm positive. Because just the other day my friend pointed out to me that the level sets were gone for march. I seen it with my own eyes, but now it's back?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!