Dragon Ball Z Movie Pack 1 & 2 (1-9) DVD sets at RightStuf!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Dragon Ball Z Movie Pack 1 & 2 (1-9) DVD sets at RightStuf!

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16 pm

I hope these are the Dragon Box masters!

EDIT: And now a second set (movies #6-9) is available! Too bad they're the double feature masters...
Last edited by JulieYBM on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z Movie Pack 1 (1-5) DVD set at RightStuf!

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:18 pm

That's kinda weird. You'd think they'd do one set of 7 and another of 6, but I guess they're doing 5 and 8?

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:19 pm

At the very least, it's sure to at least be the Double Feature masters.

Looks like it's time to sell off my Double Features on eBay! :)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

spaceace998

Post by spaceace998 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:That's kinda weird. You'd think they'd do one set of 7 and another of 6, but I guess they're doing 5 and 8?
Most likely 5, 5, and 3 plus the 2 TV specials.
No more blah blah blah! - Captain Kirk

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:29 pm

Hope it's not the Dragon Box, really wanted them to release it as one.

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:31 pm

This would suck if these are going to be the Dragon Boxes. :/

What sucks even more is that we're not getting the 4 Dragonball movies in proper widescreen release in the States.

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:32 pm

I was personally hoping for a collective set, spanning the movies and specials from all three series. 4 from DB, 15 from Z and 1 from GT, so four 5-movie sets would've been pretty nice. FUNi could pull something crazy and also include the JUMP special, but I doubt it. If the split were 5/5/3 (assuming it's just Z movies), I'm guessing the 3-set would be the Brolly movies. Still seems kinda odd either way you split it, though.

Still, awesome find! Really hope these end up being the DBox masters.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:38 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:If the split were 5/5/3 (assuming it's just Z movies), I'm guessing the 3-set would be the Brolly movies. Still seems kinda odd either way you split it, though.

Still, awesome find! Really hope these end up being the DBox masters.
Yes. It is an odd split... if you just think of the traditional DragonBall Z movies! What about "Yo! Son Goku Returns" or the "Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans!". I mean, OK, it probably won't be included but this is FUNimation. I can't deal anything out with them anymore.

Also, it's not branded "DragonBox" (yet?) so... hey... maybe they will included non-DragonBox material. Just a thought.

Edit: Why did I say all this crazy stuff? :lol:
Last edited by Tanooki Kuribo on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:44 pm

I seriously don't think this is Dragon Box: The Movies, wouldn't the listing say so otherwise? :?

Probably just a repackaging of the Double Features...
Last edited by Son Geeko on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Son Geeko wrote:I seriously don't think this is Dragon Box: The Movies, wouldn't the listing say so otherwise? :?
Not to mention you'd think the price would be higher.
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Please let it be true.

DRAGON BOX MASTERS

Son Geeko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Geeko » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:27 pm

fps_anth wrote:Please let it be true.

*snip*

DRAGON BOX MASTERS
Very unlikey, let's not forget the time when "Dragon Ball GT: The Complete Series" was listed on RightStuf and almost everyone jumped the gun and thought it was going to be the GT Dragon Box, but later turned out to be just a repackaging of the two Green Bricks...

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Dbox or not, I'll buy at least one of these sets. I haven't seen any of the movies except for Movie 12, so I'll be glad to get 5 of them for only $20.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:43 pm

The thing is, like I broke down on the home page, five movies is one bit of evidence pointing toward Dragon Box masters. In the original Japanese set, the first disc is DB movies 1-3, the second disc is DBZ movies 1-3, and the third disc is DBZ movies 4-5 (and of course the rest of the movies, concluding with the final disc just being the 10th anniversary movie).

Five movies? Well, that's conveniently two discs from the Dragon Box set.

(Going onward from there, they could easily crank out three sets with the 13 DBZ movies exactly as they appeared on the JP Dragon Box discs if they do two-disc sets: 1-5, 6-9, 10-13.)

The only other time the first three DBZ movies have been tossed together was back in November 2006 with the "First Strike" box set, which I just kinda lump in with the "Ultimate Uncut Edition" since they were replacing the old Pioneer releases of their stuff. Since then, 2008 brought us the "Double Features", where 1+2 and then 3+4 and then 5+6 were packaged together -- going by that previous release, 1-2-3-4-5 doesn't make much sense.

There were going to be those cheap, $10 single-disc releases of the movies that were just the "Double Features" broken out into one-movie-per-disc (Bardock and Trunks actually came out, but the November 2009 release of the first two movies was canceled)... but those just seem kinda irrelevant, right?

I dunno. I've got way more hope for this than I ever did about the DBGT complete series. Right number of movies, appropriate time after the end of the TV series...

But then again, getting hopes up with this franchise and this company can be disastrous ^_~.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Well, the "infamous" tweet did say after the Series' Dragon Boxes finish. And this set is aimed at a November release, a month after the series concludes. Maybe you guys are on to something!

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:36 pm

If this wasn't the Dragon Box wouldn't they include both Coola movies? Because Funimation seemed pretty intent on keeping Coola and Broli movies bunched together with the Double Features. And there's no Blu-Ray listing, surely there'd be one if this was just the Double Features again.

I guess they're getting split up 5/4/4, oh well, I'll be happy to finally own movies 3-5 uncut and in Japanese, and most of all, all 5 of them in Dragon Box format, if that is what they are.
Last edited by The Time Traveller on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:41 pm

If it's the Dragon Box, then awesome! If it's not the Dragon Box, then I'll just have to weigh it out. I've easily skipped out on all the other movie releases since the original Pioneer DVDs of DBZ Movies 1-3, I can skip out on this if I want to.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Zeroplus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zeroplus » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:09 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:If this wasn't the Dragon Box wouldn't they include both Coola movies? Because Funimation seemed pretty intent on keeping Coola and Broli movies bunched together with the Double Features. And there's no Blu-Ray listing, surely there'd be one if this was just the Double Features again.

I guess they're getting split up 5/4/4, oh well, I'll be happy to finally own movies 3-5 uncut and in Japanese, and most of all, all 5 of them in Dragon Box format, if that is what they are.
I don't think it really matters what movies they lump together with box set releases. It most likely will be Movies 1-5, 6-10, 11-13+Bardock & Trunks.
The run time at 287 Minutes is a little over 258 Minutes time that I clocked the first 5 movies at. But who knows, It's most likely a place holder for the set.
They got the information that the dvd set was coming out and slapped a price and date on it. It could every well change or could ever be bad info and have Bardock/Trunks and Movies 1-3 on it.
VegettoEX wrote:The thing is, like I broke down on the home page, five movies is one bit of evidence pointing toward Dragon Box masters. In the original Japanese set, the first disc is DB movies 1-3, the second disc is DBZ movies 1-3, and the third disc is DBZ movies 4-5 (and of course the rest of the movies, concluding with the final disc just being the 10th anniversary movie).
I don't really see why it would matter how many movies the Japanese Dragon Box The Movies had per disc since the North American Dragon Ball Z Dragon Boxes didn't follow how many episodes it had per disc. The Japanese discs containing six episodes and North American discs having seven. We saw with the steel box sets each movie had it's own disc, until we open the Broly set and still saw two discs but this time with one of the discs having two movies on it. Making me believe there was no reason why they couldn't have had two movies per disc all along and showing that it could very well go either way at this point in time.

With all said, I'm just looking forward to seeing what this release actually is and not needing to worry about what it might be.
F OFF GOOTECKS!

TonyTheTiger

Post by TonyTheTiger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:04 am

spaceace998 wrote:
Pokewhiz7 wrote:That's kinda weird. You'd think they'd do one set of 7 and another of 6, but I guess they're doing 5 and 8?
Most likely 5, 5, and 3 plus the 2 TV specials.
This. I figure it's likely they'll treat the TV specials like movies since that's how they've done it since the beginning.

But one thing doesn't make sense. At least if you don't consider the likely scenario that things change in business all the time, sometimes late in the game. The sixth Dragon Box had a hidden message "only two left" in one of the menus. People guessed that implied a movie set following the seventh box. And probably rightfully so since what else could "only two left" have meant? But this clearly doesn't fit with that assumption.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 am

TonyTheTiger wrote:The sixth Dragon Box had a hidden message "only two left" in one of the menus. People guessed that implied a movie set following the seventh box. And probably rightfully so since what else could "only two left" have meant? But this clearly doesn't fit with that assumption.
Maybe whoever wrote that message thought they'd do one box too, it might have been a decision made after that box came out.