Dragon Boxes Being Discontinued? Concerned.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zeldarocks

Dragon Boxes Being Discontinued? Concerned.

Post by zeldarocks » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:00 pm

I never got around to purchasing volumes 3-7 because my interest began to wane, but now I am reading that the Dragon Boxes may be in limited supply/production... I'm wanting to purchase the remainder of the sets so that I can complete the collection; but I'm worried that I am not going to get the chance... What is the current status of the Boxes? And will I have enough time to get the remaining volumes at intervals of one set every two week period?

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Boxes Being Discontinued? Concerned.

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Volumes 1-4 appear to have been discontinued, and I really need box 4. I already 1-3 and 5, and since 6 is new and 7's not out yet, I just really need to get 4. If anybody wants to do a trade or something for something else, I would.

EE_Bob

Post by EE_Bob » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Just got mine in from rightstuf (DBOX 4). Bought it for $29.99 before they hiked the prices up. It said that the item was back ordered but I got it in a few days.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:00 pm

I couldn't get it during the sale. I'll just have to save up and get it at full price I guess.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:17 pm

I thought they were clear 2 years ago in saying that these are limited run releases. They're not exactly mainstream due to their focus on the minority audience; the orange brick and probably now the Blu Ray releases are the primary DBZ releases for Funi.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:34 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Volumes 1-4 appear to have been discontinued, and I really need box 4. I already 1-3 and 5, and since 6 is new and 7's not out yet, I just really need to get 4
Yea, they're obviously not a limited release. I don't know why FUNimation would say they were. It's going on two years and these sets still very much available.

Not that it's a bad thing... I do want anyone who wants these sets to actually be able to get them.

SolarBlade52
Beyond Newbie

Post by SolarBlade52 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:45 pm

In my opinion, the whole "limited" thing is a marketing tactic. It is to get people to believe that if they don't buy them now, they will be gone for good. I don't think the Dragon Boxes are going anywhere for a while as of now.

Raithos
Advanced Regular

Post by Raithos » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:10 pm

Isn't there a rightstuf sale on right now? I'm pretty sure you can get them all from there.
The beautiful 29.99 sale isn't on anymore (you really should have got on that), but they're all there and if not they have more stock coming in soon:

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo ... c/asc/50/1
Otaku at heart.
Come visit me and my collection here!

KiddoCabbusses
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KiddoCabbusses » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:10 pm

SolarBlade52 wrote:In my opinion, the whole "limited" thing is a marketing tactic. It is to get people to believe that if they don't buy them now, they will be gone for good. I don't think the Dragon Boxes are going anywhere for a while as of now.
I think I'm taking that the "limited" deal isn't necessarily an exact supply, but that FUNi's got a shorter license to put out DBox material that's distinct from their general DB License. It probably means the DBox versions of the series are not likely to be released after this initial set, unlike their more traditional masters.

Of course, it's very possible that FUNimation has manipulated for immediate demand to be higher for the DBox products. The way stock of the items seems to run out, and then replenish, on online sites suggests they're almost making the DBoxes look like Nintendo used to the Wii in terms of artificial scarcity. I myself started collecting DBoxes after the 4th one was out because I was afraid the rumors of discontinued DBoxes were true, and even today I wonder if they'll ever be gotten for a "deal" of a price.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:36 pm

I haven't really been rushing to get the DBox right away (I still need #6) but I'm not waiting around forever to get them, either.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:39 pm

I think 2 is the only one truely out of print as no-where has anymore.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:45 pm

enapace wrote:I think 2 is the only one truely out of print as no-where has anymore.
Have you even bothered looking?

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:48 pm

Yeah as I live in uk and had return my set the company I purchased from haven't got any. Amazon.com only sellers have and for quite high amounts and rightstuff haven't either. Where else would you suggest I look that ships abroad and that has stock in.

Lucky I found amazon canada had one in stock and Priority International Courier but in fairness most places haven't got in stock including amazon canada now but suprisely they have the others in stock.

SSJSteve
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJSteve » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:06 pm

It's highly overpriced but if you really need it, I would get it. Might take a while to arrive though as it would be coming from America. Link.

Here's another from a trusted UK Supplier, it's out of stock at the minute though. You could order it anyway just in case they do get a few more in. Link.

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks. I managed to order from Amazon Canada. It should be arriving Wednesday to Friday. For people wishing to buy, I tried getting of movie mars (huh?) but they said they hadn't got any and it was an automated process to post on Amazon.

Oh - United Publications, the company I had to return my original box set back to, told me they would not likely get any in as they think it was discontinued.

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:31 pm

enapace wrote:Thanks. I managed to order from Amazon Canada. It should be arriving Wednesday to Friday. For people wishing to buy, I tried getting of movie mars (huh?) but they said they hadn't got any and it was an automated process to post on Amazon.

Oh - United Publications, the company I had to return my original box set back to, told me they would not likely get any in as they think it was discontinued.
Movie Mars is the Merchant on amazon uk, who is selling the first link was to that page to answer the question of who ever modified my post. I admit I did rush and should of used better grammar.

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:36 pm

After wasting some 400 odd dollars on the orange bricks I'm still recuperating before buying the Dragon Boxes. If they get discontinued now I'm going to be incredibly irritated. Times have been really tough on me lately and I just don't have the money to buy the series over again right now. And every time they go on sale for $20-ish I miss it.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Levlik wrote:After wasting some 400 odd dollars on the orange bricks I'm still recuperating before buying the Dragon Boxes. If they get discontinued now I'm going to be incredibly irritated. Times have been really tough on me lately and I just don't have the money to buy the series over again right now. And every time they go on sale for $20-ish I miss it.
I'm thinking you should be prepared to be annoyed. That, or just hope that the Blu-rays are extremely awesome because I doubt those are going anywhere for awhile after they come out.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Levlik
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Levlik » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:47 pm

I suppose so. I really regret not picking up Dragon Boxes 2 and 3 when I saw them at Best Buy around Christmas of 2010 for $25 each. I'm obsessive about having stuff in order so I didn't get either of them simply because they didn't have the first volume. Stupid me. Now whenever I do happen to see them cheap I get caught up with bills and such and I can't really spend much money on other things. Oh well. I'm still somewhat happy with the orange boxes but even after two years I still feel shafted that I supported the release only for FUNi to up and reveal the Dragon Boxes mere months after the ninth set. I guess I should just be over it now but it still annoys the crap out of me.
Last edited by Levlik on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enapace
Beyond Newbie

Post by enapace » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:59 pm

Levlik wrote:I suppose so. I really regret not picking up Dragon Boxes 2 and 3 when I saw them at Best Buy around Christmas of 2009 for $25 each. I'm obsessive about having stuff in order so I didn't get either of them simply because they didn't have the first volume. Stupid me. Now whenever I do happen to see them cheap I get caught up with bills and such and I can't really spend much money on other things. Oh well. I'm still somewhat happy with the orange boxes but even after two years I still feel shafted that I supported the release only for FUNi to up and reveal the Dragon Boxes mere months after the ninth set. I guess I should just be over it now but it still annoys the crap out of me.
I would try get Dragon Box Vol. 2 if u can the others have pretty high quanties most places.